Green Chile Peach Preserves – Small Batch

Green chile peach preserves are made with fresh peaches, roasted chile, and no pectin. A delicious jar of sweet and spicy. | mjskitchen.com

Fresh peaches and roasted New Mexico chile – what a great combination!!!  This simple little recipe for Green Chile Peach Preserves yields a jar of sweet and spicy goodness, chunks of sweet peaches with bites of spicy chile.  These preserves are made using the same method as all of my quick & easy, no pectin jams.  The only difference is that I chop the peaches rather than chopping and smashing them. If you want jam – then just smash the peaches after you chop them, mince the chile, and cook as directed in the recipe.

Green Chile Peach Preserves can be added to marinades, used as a sauce for grilled or roasted meats, scooped on top of baked brie, spread on hot biscuits, muffins or toast, or one of my favorites – spread on top of a toasted muffin with cream cheese.  Then, of course there is the option of just eating it right out of the jar.  Hope you enjoy!

Green chile peach preserves are made with fresh peaches, roasted chile, and no pectin. A delicious jar of sweet and spicy. #greenchile #Hatchchile #jam #preserves @mjskitchen

If you like sweet and spicy like these green chile peach preserves, then you’re going these other jams.

Tomato Red Chile Jam

Red Chile Strawberry Jam

Raspberry Mole Jam

DON’T FORGET – It’s Green Chile Season in New Mexico!  Be sure to place your order for a shipment of fresh or frozen green chile.  Some suppliers are already shipping Hatch chile and all are taking orders – The Hatch Chile Store, Diaz Farms, Chile Monster.  Click for a list of more New Mexico Green Chile Suppliers.

Click this link for more green chile recipes:  Index of Green Chile Recipes

Tags: , , , ,

49 Responses to “Green Chile Peach Preserves – Small Batch”

1. Anna @ shenANNAgans September 1, 2017 at 9:24 pm #

I love the sound of this, wonder how it’d go swapping out peaches for mango, think it’d work beautifully.

2. Liz (Good Things) August 31, 2017 at 5:35 pm #

Wow, such a deliciously different recipe. Thank you for sharing xx

3. laura August 25, 2017 at 12:59 pm #

Oh my husband would love this so much–he loves spicy sweet combos, well we both do really! I might make this for our next food swap, I bet it would go over well! Pinned, stumbled and tweeted!

• mj August 25, 2017 at 8:26 pm #

Thanks so much Laura! I hope you and your friends enjoy! It’s good stuff. 🙂

4. Yi @ YiReservation August 24, 2017 at 9:47 pm #

Perfect timing! I went peach picking a few weeks ago and currently sitting on a bunch of frozen peaches and trying to figure out what to do with them (already tired of peach smoothie :). Will see if I can turn them into preserves. Thanks for the recipe!

• mj August 25, 2017 at 8:25 pm #

Oh I know what you mean about peach smoothies. We had one AGAIN this morning. 🙂 Time to make another jar of jam. Thanks Yi!

5. Raymund August 23, 2017 at 1:58 pm #

Chiili and peach jam sounds like a good breakfast spread, definitely will pump you up in the morning

• mj August 23, 2017 at 7:43 pm #

That’s a good description. 🙂 Thanks Raymund!

6. Easyfoodsmith August 23, 2017 at 6:08 am #

I don’t think I need biscuit, toast or muffins, I could eat spoonfuls of this preserve straight from the jar 😀

• mj August 23, 2017 at 7:43 pm #

Oh I did eat about half of the first jar that way. 🙂 Thanks Taruna!

7. Vicki Bensinger August 22, 2017 at 8:19 pm #

I love this method MJ. So you just wash the jar and microwave it and don’t boil it in a pot? Love that! I’m can’t get enough of peaches right now and hate that the season is almost over. I will definitely try these preserves with that little kick of green chile.

By the way I was just in Santa Fe a few weeks ago. I forgot you live in NM, I would have reached out to you. Had a great time and enjoyed the sites. Hope you’re doing well.

• mj August 23, 2017 at 7:42 pm #

Thanks so much Vicki! When I’m going to store the jar of finished jam in the refrigerator, I just sterilize it using the microwave. However, if I’m going to seal it and store in the pantry for later, I will sterilize the jars in boiling water for 10 minutes. I hope you try this jam. It’s really good!

Sorry I didn’t get to hook up with you when you were in NM. Glad you had a great time. Santa Fe is a beautiful city and great food!

8. Amy (Savory Moments) August 22, 2017 at 7:49 am #

Such a delicious flavor combination!!

• mj August 23, 2017 at 7:37 pm #

Thanks Amy!

9. Hina August 21, 2017 at 5:10 am #

very nice combination MJ, thanks for sharing the idea.

• mj August 21, 2017 at 4:25 pm #

You are most welcome and thank you!

10. Supriya Kuttty August 21, 2017 at 12:26 am #

Jam looks super delicious. Loved the idea of combining peaches and chili Your photos are very mouth watering dear. Will try this recipe asap. Looking forward to more recipes, Thanks for sharing this with us. Best wishes and Regards.

• mj August 21, 2017 at 4:25 pm #

Thanks so much Supriya!

11. Kelly @ Kelly Lynns Sweets and Treats August 19, 2017 at 1:23 pm #

Yum!! Thanks for linking up at Friday Frenzy Link Party!! XOXO 🙂 PINNED!!!

• mj August 20, 2017 at 12:50 pm #

Thank you and you are most welcome!

12. Kelly Mulcair August 19, 2017 at 12:00 pm #

Haha, I agree, what a combination! Your photos are lovely MJ, really showcasing the quality and natural beauty of the peaches. Your highlighties are literally sparkling 🙂 We had our best peach season yet (both white – surprisingly juicy! I never knew I was a fan – and yellow) but the season is so short and they spoil very quickly once off the tree. We gave a ton away and I have about 15 pounds in my freezer (took the time to remove skin and preserve at the peak) – I wonder how it would work to make this preserve from frozen peaches…given that this is a boiling method, I’m guessing I might be okay but would love your thoughts. ps: so great that this is intended for the fridge (simplifies) and with it’s long refrigerated life, it will still work great for my purposes for gifting – yay!

• mj August 19, 2017 at 1:05 pm #

Thanks Kelly and congratulations on a great peach crop!! Oh how I miss my peach trees, but they are a lot of work. 🙂 Frozen peaches should work just fine. The peaches might fall apart and you end up more with jam than preserves, but they might not be a problem. I have found when I use frozen fruit it takes a little longer. I guess that’s because the fruit picks up moisture from the freezer? Not sure. Also, the “bits” aren’t as firm as using fresh peaches. So all in all, it should work. Same flavors, just a little different textures.

• Kelly Mulcair August 20, 2017 at 10:02 am #

thanks MJ! I just ordered my candy thermometer and hope to give this a go sometime early fall – will let you know how I make out :o)

• mj August 20, 2017 at 12:50 pm #

Very cool! I look forward to hearing how it works out. Hope you’re having a wonderful weekend!

13. Libby Kincheloe August 18, 2017 at 3:24 pm #

Wonderful! Fell in love with peach-green chile pie at Tina’s in Ruidoso a couple of years ago. Thank you!

• mj August 19, 2017 at 1:00 pm #

Thanks so much Libby! I’ve never had a peach-green chile pie but I have had a cobbler and is was quite tasty, thus the preserves idea. 🙂 I’ll have to try a pie next.

14. Liz August 18, 2017 at 6:31 am #

What fabulous preserves, MJ! I can’t see eating this for breakfast, but over brie, a brick of cream cheese or in a marinade would be amazing!!

• mj August 19, 2017 at 12:59 pm #

Thanks Liz! I love it with cream cheese!

15. Evelyne CulturEatz August 15, 2017 at 1:56 pm #

And I just so happen to have heaps of peaches at home and not sure if I will get thourgh them all…looks really delicious.

• mj August 15, 2017 at 8:22 pm #

Thanks Evelyne! Don’t you just love peach season?

16. Sissi August 14, 2017 at 9:50 am #

Wonderful idea! I have made several combinations of chile sauces/jellies with fruits (apricots, mangoes – my favourite !, green tomatoes, strawberries….) but I don’t think I’ve ever tested peaches! I know I would love this combination.

• mj August 15, 2017 at 8:22 pm #

Thanks Sissi! Between you and me I’m surprised there is anything left that one of us hasn’t paired with chile. 🙂

• Sissi August 17, 2017 at 9:02 am #

Haha! That’s so true!!!

17. Healthy World Cuisine August 13, 2017 at 5:35 pm #

Heat and sweet! Love it! You know how the craze is sweet and salty, heat and sweet is going to be the new 2018 craze. Starting right here in MJ’s Kitchen. Can’t wait to try it.

• mj August 13, 2017 at 7:24 pm #

Well, I love sweet and salty too, but sweet and spicy has always been my favorite. 🙂 Thanks Darlin!

18. Debra Eliotseats August 13, 2017 at 2:07 pm #

I’ve already roasted and frozen one picking from the garden and I have another colander full to pick today. I was looking for something unique to use green chiles in and you never disappoint, M.J.

• mj August 13, 2017 at 7:17 pm #

Thanks so much Debra! I aim to please. 🙂

19. Angie@Angie's Recipes August 13, 2017 at 12:33 pm #

I love the heat in this stone fruit jam, MJ. Bet it tastes amazingly delicious and fresh.

• mj August 13, 2017 at 7:17 pm #

Thanks Angie!

20. 2pots2cook August 13, 2017 at 11:39 am #

Love the idea of combining peaches and chili. Very curious about how it tastes.Thank you !

• mj August 13, 2017 at 11:52 am #

It taste great! 🙂 Thanks!!

21. John/Kitchen Riffs August 13, 2017 at 11:38 am #

Love combining peaches with spicy stuff! We’ve got Hatch chilies in the stores right now, so your timing is perfect. Definitely my kind of recipe — thanks.

• mj August 13, 2017 at 11:52 am #

Thanks John! Yep, they are picking right now. We’ve had a lot of rain the past couple of days so I’m hoping they can still get into the fields.

22. A_Boleyn August 13, 2017 at 11:01 am #

Looks very tasty.

• mj August 13, 2017 at 11:51 am #

Thanks!

23. Leigh Kelly August 13, 2017 at 10:56 am #

I would like to make the green chili peach preserves for holiday gifts. What do I need to do to preserve them, other than refrigerating? I was thinking of pouring hot wax over the tops? Thank you

• mj August 13, 2017 at 11:50 am #

Leigh, Thanks so much for your comment!

If you want to put them up and present as gifts, then I would suggest sterilizing your jars in a hot water bath for 20 minutes, remove, let drain upside down for about 1 minute, flip and fill with hot preserves. Wipe the top of the jar clean with a clean damp rag, and seal with an used canning lid and ring. After about 5 minutes, flip the jars for 15 minutes, then flip back. When the lids pop down, the jar should be ready to be stored away and given as gifts. I wouldn’t suggest the hot wax. I used to use it and it did well for jellies, but I always ended up with little pieces of wax in my jams and especially my preserves.

24. Deb|EastofEdenCooking August 13, 2017 at 10:46 am #

So much summer in a jar! Hatch chilies just arrived at my local grocery store last week. I’m prepping to make salsa and I might give this lush peach jam a space in my canner!
    I have thoughts of opening a jar for winter feasts or gifting a jar for the holidays, sublime.

• mj August 13, 2017 at 11:45 am #

This would really be nice in the winter. I can already taste it on a hot biscuit. 🙂 Thanks so much Deb!