Pita Pockets with Cabbage Apple Slaw and Green Chile Dressing

Pita pockets with a cabbage apple slaw and green chile dressing #greenchile #slaw #pita | mjskitchen.com

This cabbage apple slaw pita pocket is a recipe I’ve been making for decades with little changes here and there for variety.  The most recent change was the addition of green chile dressing.  This dressing is made with homemade mayonnaise (recipe below), Dijon type mustard, and a generous  amount of green chile spice mix.  The green chile mix adds a bit of a bite to the slaw as well as the delectable flavor of green chile.  So good!

The slaw is relatively simple – cabbage, apple, carrot, toasted nuts or seeds, and one favorite slaw ingredients – pickle.  I even add a little pickle brine to the dressing.  When you use the cabbage apple slaw for pita pockets you get a light and refreshing summer lunch or supper, and an easy camping meal. And you could forego the pita altogether and just use the slaw as a side for barbecue.  No matter how you serve it or when, this cabbage apple slaw with green chile dressing is a winner.

Pita pockets with a cabbage apple slaw and green chile dressing #greenchile #slaw #pita @mjskitchen

A cabbage apple slaw with green chile dressing #greenchile #slaw | mjskitchen.com

Homemade Mayonnaise Using Immersion Blender

Easily make your own mayonnaise using the immersion blender method shown below and the following ingredients.

Place the following in a 2 cup measuring cup in order listed:

• 1 medium to large egg at or near room temperature
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon or lime juice or brine from pickled peppers
  • A pinch or two of sea salt
  • ~ 3/4 cup Avocado oil – add to other ingredients until total reaches the 1 cup mark
  • Place the immersion blender at the bottom of the cup, turn it on and slowly raise until all of the oil has been incorporated. (See video)

How to make mayonnaise with an immersion blender by James Strange (source: YouTube.com)

Tags: , , , ,

40 Responses to “Pita Pockets with Cabbage Apple Slaw and Green Chile Dressing”

1. April June 22, 2017 at 7:28 am #

I love how you flavored this slaw, a little sweet and a little spicy. Yum! I add pickle to my slaw too, great minds think alike. 🙂 Scheduled your post to be shared on Twitter today, thanks for sharing with us at the Friday Frenzy!

• mj June 22, 2017 at 10:14 am #

Pickles make the slaw! 🙂 Thanks so much for everything April!

2. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen June 21, 2017 at 3:18 pm #

I love any slaw with apples the apple adds sweetness and more crunch to it.

• mj June 21, 2017 at 6:48 pm #

Definitely does! Thanks Peachy!

3. Amy (Savory Moments) June 21, 2017 at 5:18 am #

I am a huge pickle fan and a huge slaw fan, so I’m really liking your idea to use pickle in your slaw!!

• mj June 21, 2017 at 6:48 pm #

Pickle fan…you and me both. I’ve always added pickle to my slaw. I think it’s a southern thing. 🙂 Thanks Amy!

4. Laura Sampson June 21, 2017 at 12:14 am #

What a fabulous vegetarian sandwich! I love a good slaw, it’s one of my favorite salads ever.

Thanks for linking up to the Friday Frenzy. Oh and I pinned this to my vegetarian board so I can find it again.

• mj June 21, 2017 at 6:47 pm #

Thanks so much Laura! And thanks for Friday Frenzy and pinning!

5. Liz June 20, 2017 at 7:06 pm #

I love all sorts of slaws, but never thought of eating it in a pita! Love this idea—and your green chile dressing makes this one outstanding dish!

• mj June 21, 2017 at 6:46 pm #

Once you try slaw and pita, you’ll kick yourself for not having tried it before. 🙂 Thanks Liz!

6. Katerina June 19, 2017 at 2:16 am #

What a delicious combination of ingredients! A very summery way to enjoy your pitas!

• mj June 21, 2017 at 6:46 pm #

Thanks Katerina!

7. Evelyne CulturEatz June 14, 2017 at 1:58 pm #

Now that is a fabulous slaw. The dressing sounds great and love the touch of pickle brine. The nuts and apples are a great touch too. I see this in my lunch future!

• mj June 18, 2017 at 5:50 pm #

Thanks Evelyne! A little pickle brine adds A LOT to just about any sauce IMO. 🙂

8. Omar June 14, 2017 at 11:24 am #

OMG! it looks so delicious!

But why aren’t you using a good tool for generating recipe cards for your recipes?
    Here is a good one with nice features: http://www.recipesgenerator.com

• mj June 18, 2017 at 5:49 pm #

Thanks Omar! I’ll check out this link.

9. Abbe@This is How I Cook June 13, 2017 at 10:00 pm #

Love slaws every which way and this one is a winner! My immersion blender just broke-not that I mind-it was kind of old-Can’t wait to get a new one and try this!

• mj June 18, 2017 at 5:49 pm #

Thanks Abbe! Oh my…I’d know how long I could live without my immersion blender. 🙂

10. Raymund June 13, 2017 at 9:41 pm #

I love this, though I wont probably use it with pita a good roast chicken will be perfect with it

• mj June 18, 2017 at 5:48 pm #

Thanks Ray and yes, roast chicken would be great with this.

11. Judy Purcell June 13, 2017 at 6:17 am #

Green chile dressing?! Well, I know what I’m taking to our next potluck! MJ, this looks awesome ~ great idea.

• mj June 13, 2017 at 3:24 pm #

Thanks Judy! Hope you and your friends enjoy!

12. Easyfoodsmith June 13, 2017 at 2:12 am #

Love these crunchy delicious pita pockets. We are slaw fans and I know for sure my family will love this.

• mj June 13, 2017 at 3:24 pm #

I hope you all like it. We’ve been enjoying it for years! Thanks!

13. Trisha June 12, 2017 at 5:53 pm #

I absolutely love slaw. Mine is usually just cabbage, carrots and a touch of onion and a mayo dressing. This is a nice way to change it up.

• mj June 12, 2017 at 8:55 pm #

My husband isn’t a cabbage fan and I love it, so whenever I make slaw I have sort of hide the cabbage with lots of other flavors. He loves this slaw so It’s works. 🙂 Thanks!

14. Anna @ shenANNAgans June 11, 2017 at 6:13 am #

So … mom and I are on a bit of a healthy eating regime, cut out red meat and having at least one vego meal a week. Our lunchs are always vegetarian, can’t wait to try this pocket loaded with yumminess, especially love the fancy mayo. What a brilliant idea.

• mj June 12, 2017 at 8:52 pm #

Thanks Anna! I hope you and your mother get a chance to try it. It makes a fabulous vegetarian lunch.

15. Melissa @ Insider The Kitchen June 9, 2017 at 7:45 pm #

I made this exactly like the recipe said and it was super delicious!

• mj June 12, 2017 at 8:51 pm #

WOW!! I am thrilled that you enjoyed this slaw and pita pockets!!! Thank you so much for letting me know. Now that you have the green chile mix, you can make some tasty scrambled eggs or just sprinkle it on fried eggs. 🙂

16. Healthy World Cuisine June 9, 2017 at 5:58 pm #

Delicious slaw and especially that dressing with a kick! I have not made mayo in a long time. The last time I was able to find pasteurized eggs but recently I have not seen these kinds of eggs.

• mj June 12, 2017 at 8:50 pm #

Thanks! I have to admit that I don’t use pasteurized eggs because I personally know the source of my eggs supplier and the eggs I get are from well cared for hens and less than a week old. But I know what you mean. I haven’t seen them in stores in a while.

17. Sissi June 9, 2017 at 11:06 am #

Pickling brine, toasted sunflower seeds, green chile spice blend… this recipe has such an obvious MJ touch! I have never seen such a summery, beautiful light pita filling! It’s been ages since I made mayonnaise… I’m too lazy, but whenever I have homemade mayonnaise somewhere I always think how fantastic it is in comparison to all those I buy… but yours is so original: hot pickling brine and avocado oil must make it exceptional.

• mj June 12, 2017 at 8:46 pm #

I’m giggling! It is an MJ recipe, isn’t it? 🙂 The mayo does make a difference to many dishes and, by using the immersion blender, it is SO easy to make. You should give it a try. Thanks Darlin!

18. Angie@Angie's Recipes June 8, 2017 at 11:36 pm #

So crunchy and delicious! I love that chili dressing! Can I use sour cream instead of mayo here?

• mj June 12, 2017 at 8:44 pm #

Thanks so much Angie! Yes, you can use sour cream or plain Greek yogurt. It will impart a little different flavor, but the green chile mix should hide most of the difference. 🙂

19. Deb|EastofEdenCooking June 8, 2017 at 6:43 pm #

I adore slaw recipes. It’s a great way to easily enjoy vegetables! The green chile dressing sounds amazing!

• mj June 12, 2017 at 8:43 pm #

You go that right! You do get a lot of vegetables in a slaw. Thanks Deb!

20. John/Kitchen Riffs June 8, 2017 at 6:39 pm #

I’ve made mayo plenty of times using a regular blender, but not with an immersion one. Definitely have to give that a whirl. 🙂 Anyway, super slaw — and I really like the green chile in the dressing. Thanks!

• mj June 12, 2017 at 8:42 pm #

Thanks John! You really do need to try the immersion method. It’s so quick and the result is awesome! I haven’t bought mayo since the first time I tried it. 🙂