White Chocolate Matcha (Green Tea) Pudding

A silky pudding made with matcha (green tea) and white chocolate mjskitchen.com

I’m determined not to be pinched on St. Patrick’s Day so I cover all the bases by wearing green and posting something green.  Even though this isn’t a traditional St. Patrick’s Day dish, this Chocolate Matcha (Green Tea) Pudding is definitely green.  Along with being green, it’s silky smooth, rich and characteristically matcha.

In case you’re not familiar with matcha, it’s a high quality green tea ground into a fine powder rather than being left in leaf form.  Because it is ground, its nutritional value and antioxidant content is much higher than that of regular green tea.  Rather than being steeped, matcha is mixed with a hot liquid, sweetened and drank.  It can also be incorporated into baked goods and other sweet and savory dishes.  Be sure to check out the recipes linked to at the end of this post for more ideas on how to use matcha.

If you’ve been reading MJ’s Kitchen for a while, you already know what pudding lovers Bobby and I are.  It’s our go to dessert; therefore, I’m always looking for new flavors to incorporate into my basic pudding recipe which is just milk, cornstarch and a sweetener.  That sweetener can be sugar or sweetened condensed milk.  So when I saw the Green Tea Chocolates over at Just One Cookbook, I knew immediately that another pudding was in the making.

The first time I made this pudding, all I had was a matcha frappe powder, which is matcha powder with added sugar.  Frappe powder is normally mixed in with hot milk or frothed milk.  The first recipe below uses the frappe powder.   The second recipe was adjusted for matcha powder.  Since matcha powder is pure tea powder, it’s rather bitter; therefore, sugar is added to the recipe in addition to the sweetened condensed milk.  You can always adjust the amount of sugar to your personal tastes.  Both of these recipes takes less than 30 minutes to make then a couple of hours to cool the pudding so that it sets.  Hope you enjoy!

A silky pudding made with matcha green tea and white chocolate. Quick and easy - no eggs. @MJsKitchen mjskitchen.com

A silky pudding made with matcha (green tea) and white chocolate  mjskitchen.com

Green Tea – When buying Matcha green tea, make sure you are getting what you want.  As I previously mentioned, the pure green tea powder is bitter and needs more sweetener added, but the green tea frappe (or latte) mix has sugar in it. Different suppliers use varying amounts of sugar, so if you use frappe and the pudding is too sweet, then for the next batch (and I’m sure there will be another batch), reduce the condensed milk to 1/4 cup.

White Chocolate – Any form of white chocolate works.  You could use a white chocolate bar or white chocolate morsels.

Stirring utensil – I have found that the best utensil when making this pudding is a heat proof rubber spatula, the same type of spatula used for making candy.  It allows you to continue to scrap the sides and the bottom of the pot while stirring.  It is important to stir this pudding continuously to prevent clumping.

Since you’re going to need to purchase some matcha in order to make this Matcha Chocolate Pudding, here are some other Matcha Recipes you will enjoy:

Matcha Latte @ Roti n Rice

Light Matcha (Green Tea) Cream @ With a Glass

Green Tea Chocolate @ Just One Cookbook

Matcha Ice Cream @ uTry.it

Matcha Pancakes @ My Kitchen

Matcha (Green Tea) Smoothie @ Love and Lemons

Green Tea Almond Cookies @ Angie’s Recipes

Additional pudding recipes:

Chocolate Pudding, New Mexico Style

Thai Tea Pudding

Sweet Kabocha Pudding

White Chocolate Green Tea (Matcha) Pudding

Tags: , ,

41 Responses to “White Chocolate Matcha (Green Tea) Pudding”

1. Helene D'Souza March 24, 2014 at 8:10 am #

I didn’t get a chance yet to cook with matcha but of course I have heard a lot about it (especially from Nami). Your pudding looks very appetizing MJ and I wish I could have some now. =)

• mj March 24, 2014 at 9:49 pm #

Thanks Maureen! I didn’t start cooking with it until recently, but have been drinking it for several years. You really should give it a try. It has a great flavor and it’s good for us. :)

2. Charles Smith March 22, 2014 at 5:44 pm #

Really really need to get myself some of this darn stuff. It’s all over the place these days and I’ve still not got myself any. I’ve tried it a few times, but I want to experiment with it in baking, especially before this big matcha craze is over, lol!

Lovely looking pudding MJ – very fitting for the day!

• mj March 23, 2014 at 8:39 pm #

Thanks so much Charles! I think you’ll love matcha in your baking. I can see you making green tea cookies. :)

3. Bill March 22, 2014 at 5:48 am #

I’m not sure why, but I never make pudding. It’s such a delicious dessert and so easy to make. I’ve not heard of matcha but I love the healthy properties you described and what a great idea to incorporate it into pudding. You’ve inspired me to start eating this treat. And with sweetened condensed milk? I’m in!! Thanks, MJ!

• mj March 23, 2014 at 8:34 pm #

Thanks Bill! I have to admit that, other than cobbler, pudding is pretty much the only dessert I make. :) Please check out matcha. I think you’ll love it!

4. Carol at Wild Goose Tea March 21, 2014 at 1:05 pm #

I am embarrassed to say that I sell green tea on my website, but have never cooked with matcha tea. I will have to whip over to the One Cookbook gal’s site and see what that is all about. Plus I noticed you had a plethora of other matcha recipes, which I will have to comb thru. On top of that pudding is one of special desserts. Very eye opening recipe. Thank you.

• mj March 23, 2014 at 8:16 pm #

Thanks so much Carol! I have noticed that you do sell tea, but I obviously need to take a closer look. I missed the matcha. Do check out the links. There are tons of recipes out there with matcha that are awesome!

5. Nami | Just One Cookbook March 20, 2014 at 11:48 pm #

Hi MJ! Thank you so much for the kind mention. I am determined to be a green tea lady (just kidding) and so happy to see a matcha recipe here! The pudding sounds so good. It’s one thing that wasn’t in my matcha recipe lists and now added! Sounds amazing. Matcha and white chocolate go well together and creamy texture of pudding sounds wonderful. You’re pudding expert and I trust you on this recipe! ;) Thanks so much again!

6. Sissi March 20, 2014 at 4:14 am #

Gorgeous pudding, MJ, and such amazing photographs! (I actually prepare a similar thing, in different versions, but with regular flour and love eating it warm… a Polish (!) recipe, funny isn’t it?). I love matcha with everything (as you know…) so I’m impatient to try your recipe soon. And it gives me a new condensed milk idea too! Perfect!
    Thank you so much for the kind link to my blog!

7. Nancy/SpicieFoodie March 19, 2014 at 10:23 pm #

Good pudding and Matcha are two of my favourite things — your pudding is one I would love! The bowls are super cute MJ:)

• mj March 22, 2014 at 4:54 pm #

Thanks Nancy! Aren’t those great bowls? :) I found them at a antique store close out sale. Fun!

8. Joyti March 19, 2014 at 5:14 pm #

These look really delicious. Such lovely green color too. And matcha – one of my favorite flavors – so delicious.

9. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz March 19, 2014 at 2:42 pm #

I am a big fan of Matcha, especially when used in recipes like this. I do enjoy pudding desserts too. I would go for recipe 2 with the powder first but both look amazing. Such a unique taste. Happy St- Pattys

• mj March 19, 2014 at 8:08 pm #

Thanks Evelyne! It’s interesting because the flavor of both recipes is exactly the same, so it just depends on what you have in the pantry. :)

10. Liz March 19, 2014 at 8:33 am #

I never would have dreamed of a macha pudding, but it sounds fantastic! Perfect for St. Paddy’s Day (I am on vacation and forgot to pack anything green :/).

• mj March 19, 2014 at 8:04 pm #

Thanks Liz for stopping by while you’re on vacation! Hope you’re having fun!

11. Katerina March 19, 2014 at 5:34 am #

I love puddings especially when they contain the word chocolate in them!

• mj March 19, 2014 at 8:06 pm #

You and me both Katerina! Thanks!

12. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen March 19, 2014 at 5:07 am #

Happy St. Patrick’s Day! This is one of my favorite green tea recipes…

• mj March 19, 2014 at 8:06 pm #

thanks so much Peachy!

13. Kate @ Diethood March 18, 2014 at 6:33 pm #

I am a huge fan of pudding, but then you add all these great fixins to it and I’m in pudding heaven! Beautiful!

• mj March 19, 2014 at 8:36 am #

Thanks Kate!! Well, as you can see, we’re big pudding fans as well. :) This pudding definitely takes you to pudding heaven!

14. Choc Chip Uru March 18, 2014 at 4:03 pm #

I am loving this delicious looking pudding, matcha and white chocolate are made for each other :D

Choc Chip Uru

15. Donalyn@The Creekside Cook March 18, 2014 at 1:07 pm #

I love the flavor of matcha and chocolate together – a perfect match! Thanks for a brilliant idea MJ!

• mj March 19, 2014 at 8:36 am #

Thanks Donalyn! It is a great match isn’t it! :)

16. Debra March 18, 2014 at 12:21 pm #

What a great green dish. Not your typical St. Paddy’s Day fare. Love it!

17. Giulietta | Alterkitchen March 18, 2014 at 9:55 am #

Never tried matcha tea, although I’d like to try it :)
    I love St. Paddy’s day, and I celebrated too, with a Guinness beef stew and soda bread .. :)

• mj March 19, 2014 at 8:35 am #

Good morning Guilia!! You’ve never tried Matcha? You really need to give it a try. I think you’d love it! Oh you SPD dinner sounds awesome!

18. Vicki Bensinger March 18, 2014 at 5:30 am #

Ooh this sounds delicious. I missed this over at Namis site but glad I saw it here. I have to say that anything with sweetened condensed milk I love so I’m sure I’d snorf this down. Thanks for sharing.

• mj March 19, 2014 at 8:34 am #

Thanks Vicki! I’m with you – if a recipe has sweetened condensed milk in the ingredients list, I’m in. :)

19. easyfoodsmith March 17, 2014 at 11:19 pm #

I have yet to try my hands on anything matcha. I am so intrigued by the flavors of this pudding.

• mj March 19, 2014 at 8:33 am #

You really need to try it. You can buy it online from a number of different sources. It’s quite unique and versatile, obviously. :)

20. Linda @ Roti n Rice March 17, 2014 at 8:16 pm #

This matcha pudding is right up my alley. I’ll have to give it a try soon. Many thanks for the link and mention. Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

• mj March 19, 2014 at 8:30 am #

Thanks Linda and you are most welcome!!! Your latte is one of my favorite ways to enjoy Matcha. :)

21. Raymund March 17, 2014 at 6:17 pm #

This is a great idea, a really nice flavor to use with puddings. Happy St Patricks Day

• mj March 19, 2014 at 8:29 am #

Thanks Raymund! Hope you had a great St. Pat’s day!

22. John@Kitchen Riffs March 17, 2014 at 11:07 am #

I really need to get on the matcha bandwagon — I’m so behind the times! Love the idea of this pudding. Homemade pudding is the best, and it’s so easy to customize. This is really clever, and perfect for St. Pat’s! Thanks for this.

• mj March 19, 2014 at 8:28 am #

Thanks John!!! It’s funny because I’ve been buying the Matcha frappe mix for years and drinking it like a cafe au lait. It wasn’t until recently that I discovered all the many, many ways to use it. You really should give it a try. I’m sure you’ll come up with cocktail that uses it. :)

23. Gloria March 17, 2014 at 10:50 am #

I love the flavor of matcha and this pudding looks so delectable..I wish I could taste it…

1. Chocolate Matcha Pudding | IMG Recipes: Food Recipes, Photos & Tips - April 9, 2014

[…] A silky pudding made with Matcha (green tea) and White Chocolate.For full “Chocolate Matcha Pudding” recipe click here […]