Thai Tea Pudding

A creamy pudding made with Thai tea, milk and a little condensed milk.

This Thai Tea Pudding is a pudding version of the Thai iced tea that is served in many Asian restaurants.  It’s creamy, it’s sweet (but not near as sweet as the iced beverage), and quite addicting. Every time I serve it, it doesn’t matter what I had served for the main meal, this pudding steals the show.  It’s a great finish to any meal!

A creamy pudding made with Thai tea, milk and a little condensed milk.

A creamy pudding made with Thai tea, milk and a little condensed milk.

Thai Tea – Thai tea is a black tea mixed with an assortment of herbs and spices.  As with most flavored teas, the combination of herbs and spices varies between manufacturers.  Ingredients could include star anise, orange blossom water, tamarind, and many times, food coloring (#6 orange dye).  Last spring I bought a one pound bag (the smallest bag I could find at the Asian market) and, at first, wondered how on earth I would ever use that much Thai tea.  Well, between making Wok With Ray’s Thai Iced Tea, my Thai Tea Apricot Smoothie, and now this pudding, that one pound bag is just about gone.

Pudding Consistency – One of the things I struggled with was getting the right pudding consistency.  The sweetened condensed milk adds some additional thickness to the pudding once it cools that I originally didn’t account for.  The first time I made this I followed the recipe for my New Mexico Chocolate Pudding, but replaced the sugar with the condensed milk and reduced the milk to 1 ½ cups.  This made a very thick pudding, too thick for me, but Bobby enjoyed it.  The ingredient amount used in the recipe above yields a semi-thick pudding that we both like.  If you prefer your pudding a little thinner, then cut back on the cornstarch by about ½ Tbsp.

One of the nice things about this recipe (aside from the delicious flavor) is that it is SO easy to make. You can throw it together right before you start dinner, put it in the refrigerator when you sit down to eat, and by the time you’re ready for dessert, it’s ready for you.

WARNING – This pudding is addicting!

If you like this Thai Tea Pudding then you’ll probably like these recipes as well:

A smoothie made with apricots and Thai tea

Thai Tea Apricot Smoothie

A sweet pudding made from kabocha squash

Sweet Kabocha Pudding

A chocolate pudding seasoned with red chile powder, cinnamon and ginger

Chocolate Pudding, New Mexico Style

Tags: , ,

52 Responses to “Thai Tea Pudding”

1. Nami | Just One Cookbook November 23, 2013 at 1:41 am #

I don’t leave the Thai restaurant without having Thai tea. I encourage my kids NOT to take caffeine, but because I drink it all the time, they request to try and now they want more than one sip!! But I’m so addicted that I can’t give that up… you made pudding with Thai tea? BRILLIANT. Gotta buy Thai tea next time in Asian shop!

2. Roz November 22, 2013 at 8:10 pm #

After visiting Thailand twice and thoroughly falling in love with Thai Tea, I can only imagine how wonderful this pudding is . . . I know that I’d become an addict quickly. Thank you for sharing this unique recipe! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, I’m grateful for our friendship.

Roz

3. Vicki Bensinger November 18, 2013 at 8:18 pm #

This sounds wonderful. I love anything with sweetened condensed milk!

• mj November 19, 2013 at 9:03 pm #

I have to agree about sweetened condensed milk! It’s yummy in dessert. Thanks!

4. Sandra | Sandra's Easy Cooking November 15, 2013 at 8:36 am #

This Thai tea pudding looks divine MJ! Love that recipe is very simple, and i can imagine that it tasted so good! Thanks for sharing and have a lovely weekend!

5. cquek November 15, 2013 at 12:36 am #

Omg, this is my favourite.

6. Shikha @ Shikha la mode November 14, 2013 at 2:58 pm #

Ooo I’ve never bought Thai tea leaves, even though I loved Thai iced tea!

7. Sissi November 14, 2013 at 9:11 am #

MJ, I love the sound and look of this pudding as much as I loved the tea I first saw on your blog too. Can you believe I haven’t tasted it yet? I really must write it on my wallet when I go to an Asian grocery shop.
    You know, when the weather gets cold warm puddings are among my favourite desserts… I must make photos of one of mine one day (though it’s not even half as unusual and interesting as yours!). Thank you for inspiration!

8. bellini November 14, 2013 at 5:57 am #

It does seem like a scene stealer MJ an so simple to make.

9. Ramona November 14, 2013 at 3:59 am #

Very clever pudding!! Loving all the flavors. :)

10. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz November 13, 2013 at 7:09 pm #

This kind of dessert is so just up my alley, I definitely will have to make this. I was happy to read it is not as sweet as the iced beverages. I really think they are too sweet too. This is just perfect.

11. Valerie | From Valerie's Kitchen November 13, 2013 at 5:47 pm #

Oh, yum! What a delicious little treat.

12. Angie@Angie's Recipes November 13, 2013 at 10:36 am #

I would love one too!

13. Bill November 13, 2013 at 5:19 am #

Wow! What a great idea! I so love Thai iced tea so I’m sure this pudding is fantastic. Anything with sweetened condensed milk is fine by me! :-)

14. Terra November 12, 2013 at 7:47 pm #

I tried some Thai Tea with my cousin a few years ago. I really loved the flavors combined. What a fun idea to make a pudding with all the delicious flavors together! Gorgeous, Hugs, Terra

15. Lail | With A Spin November 12, 2013 at 1:34 pm #

What a brilliant idea! I am not too fan of the Thai iced tea version from the restaurant but love the idea of this pudding with less sugar.

• mj November 13, 2013 at 10:07 am #

Thanks Lail! I’m with you in that the restaurants always make it too sweet. This pudding is just right. :)

16. Donalyn@The Creekside Cook November 12, 2013 at 11:28 am #

Being a fan of Thai iced tea, I am sure I will love this – thank you!

17. Renee @ Tortillas and Honey November 12, 2013 at 10:00 am #

I absolutely LOVE Thai iced tea! This pudding looks soooo good and I love how innovative this recipe is. Gotta give this a try!

• mj November 13, 2013 at 10:02 am #

Thanks Renee! I hope you give it a try. I got the tea at Tai Lin.

18. Nisa Homey November 12, 2013 at 9:59 am #

Mj, you make such wonderful food, that I am in awe of your creativity….love this dessert, so quick and easy…and pictures are so tempting.

• mj November 13, 2013 at 10:01 am #

You’re so sweet Nisa! Coming from you, I’m definitely flattered.

19. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef November 12, 2013 at 8:34 am #

What an interesting dessert and one I’m dying to put a spoon into. The color is captivating.

• mj November 13, 2013 at 10:00 am #

Thanks Maureen! The color makes it a perfect Fall dessert even though it’s great year round.

20. Katerina November 12, 2013 at 2:50 am #

This sound like a very exotic and extraordinary dessert. I love the color too!

• mj November 13, 2013 at 9:58 am #

Thanks Katerina! It is a pretty color isn’t it? :)

21. Raymund November 11, 2013 at 11:07 pm #

I will love this specially when the tea flavour is strong, nice recipe to keep

• mj November 13, 2013 at 9:58 am #

Thanks Raymund! For a stronger tea flavor you could always add more tea, just don’t add to the steep time, because it does get too bitter for the pudding, in my opinion.

22. fati's recipes November 11, 2013 at 10:27 pm #

MJ this recipe is perfect for my next dessert adventure!
    My Thai friend (also nicknamed MJ) would love it if I made her some of this as we always talk about the things I may one day make her (atop the many things I have already!)
    I will ask her if she stocks some Thai tea so I don’t have to hunt down a bag of the stuff and give this pudding a go. I cannot believe how easy it is to make this – just perfect to make amidst a busy summer day :) I love the sound of the smoothie and iced tea, too. So refreshing to have l, I’m sure, in this heat!

• mj November 13, 2013 at 9:55 am #

Thanks Fati! I bet you have access to some really good Thai tea. You are so right,that during hot weather the smoothie and especially Ray’s iced Thai tea are perfect. Bob and I eat this pudding year round. :) hope you enjoy!

23. wok with ray November 11, 2013 at 8:08 pm #

Okay, all I did was a simple Thai iced tea and that’s it! But you and your creativity expanded the possibilities of this drink. I’m sure you are going to come up with more recipes for this tea and I will not be surprised.

Thanks again for the mention and sorry if I haven’t been visiting lately. I am just sooooo busy but I am not complaining. Busy is good! I hope you have a wonderful week! :)

• mj November 11, 2013 at 9:18 pm #

Thanks so much Ray! You started it all. :) Until I saw you Thai Iced tea I never considered making it at home. Once I got some home, I realized all of the possibilities. :) SO GLAD to hear that you’re busy! That’s awesome! It’s not hard to stay busy when you enjoy what you do. Hope you have a wonderful week as well.

24. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles November 11, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

Oh, lovely, Mj! Our whole family would enjoy this pudding. We are great explorers (and consumers ;-)) of tea so this is definitely something I want to try. There’s a lovely tea shop not too far from us where I have a good shot at finding Thai tea. Otherwise, I might just have to make the trip to David’s Tea in San Francisco :). Heeheeh, love the warning!! ;0).

• mj November 11, 2013 at 9:14 pm #

Thanks Kelly! I checked out a couple of tea shops here and couldn’t find it. I finally found it at the Asian market. So you might want to call around. However, no trip to a tea shop, much less one in San Francisco would be wasted. :)

• Kelly @ Inspired Edibles November 12, 2013 at 4:24 pm #

ok, good point about the Asian markets but there goes my excuse to head north 30 minutes to SF ;-).

• mj November 13, 2013 at 10:09 am #

Kelly, I could always find an excuse to go to SF if I was only 30 minutes away! :)

25. Abbe @ Abbe's Cooking Antics November 11, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

Ooooh… Thai and Tea are intriguing words but combine them with Pudding and you have me packing my bags and buying a plane ticket. I’ll be there some time tomorrow, please save me some!!!

• mj November 11, 2013 at 9:06 pm #

Thanks Abbe! Come on over!! I’ll make a new batch just for you!

26. Soni November 11, 2013 at 11:26 am #

Wow, this sounds totally my kind of pudding and semi thick works for me :) I’ve never tried Thai Tea and now I really have to get some to try this gorgeous pudding MJ!Love it!

• mj November 11, 2013 at 9:06 pm #

Thanks Soni! If you’ve never tried Thai tea, you need to. It’s quite a unique flavor. We love it!

27. Debra November 11, 2013 at 10:15 am #

I am thinking this would be great with chai tea????

• mj November 11, 2013 at 9:04 pm #

Debra, I would think Chai tea would work great! Now I need to try it. :) If you try it, let me know how it worked. Thanks!

28. Zsuzsa November 11, 2013 at 9:50 am #

Nice!

29. john@kitchenriffs November 11, 2013 at 9:48 am #

Really creative dish! I haven’t used Thai tea before, although it’s certainly delish. Love the idea of using it as a dessert. And who doesn’t like pudding? This looks spectacular. Love the color of this! Thanks so much.

• mj November 11, 2013 at 9:01 pm #

Thanks John! For me Thai tea just screams dessert and it works quite well. And you’re right – who doesn’t like pudding. :)

30. The Wimpy Vegetarian November 11, 2013 at 8:18 am #

I love the color of this – it’s so perfect for fall. Like a persimmon. And what a great idea to use sweetened condensed milk!

• mj November 11, 2013 at 8:59 pm #

Thanks Susan! It does have an appearance of persimmon, but the flavor is not near as delicate. Thai tea is quite spicy and rich. I love making dessert with condensed milk. I usually don’t have to use sugar when I do.

31. Giulietta | Alterkitchen November 11, 2013 at 7:48 am #

Never had anything like that, but it seems so interesting! It has a great color, too :)

32. Judy @Savoring Today November 11, 2013 at 6:35 am #

The color would be a nice addition to a Thanksgiving menu, the flavor something completely different than traditional items. :)

• mj November 11, 2013 at 8:57 pm #

Thanks Judy! I agree, the color definitely has a Thanksgiving feel.

33. Jennie @themessybakerblog November 11, 2013 at 6:05 am #

I adore Thai iced tea, so I know I would love this recipe. Yum!

1. White Chocolate Matcha (Green Tea) Pudding | MJ's Kitchen - March 17, 2014