Corn, Mushroom and Green Chile Tamales

Vegan tamales with green chile, mushrooms and corn.  mjskitchen.com

I’ve been wanting to make a green chile veggie tamale for a long time now, and this month’s Daring Cook Challenge inspired me to get it done! Rachael of pizzarossa was the August 2012 Daring Cook hostess and she challenged us to broaden our knowledge of cornmeal.  Since I already use cornmeal quite a bit, I decided to work with a cornmeal product that I haven’t used much – masa or ground hominy.  Masa harina is used for tamales and tortillas so I decided to finally make those green chile vegetable tamales.

Bobby and I both love tamales but I always feel guilty about eating them because traditional tamales use quite a bit of lard.  I decided to try to make a relatively low fat tamale using canola oil and then veggies rather than pork, cutting down on the total prep and cook time as well as the saturated fat.  Whenever I make the traditional pork and red chile, they usually take all day especially when I try to cook down the pork, make the red chile sauce, and make the tamales all on the same day.

These corn, mushroom and green chile tamales use canola oil, vegetable broth and a few sauteed vegetables.  The total time – about 2.5 hours – is a lot shorter than traditional tamales, but quite a bit longer than most of the recipes on this site.  You’ll get about 18 tamales, but if you want more, just increase the recipe.  I made two different batches, using two different steaming methods, so be sure to read the Kitchen Notes.

Vegan tamales with green chile, mushrooms and corn.  mjskitchen.com

Vegan tamales with green chile, mushrooms and corn.  mjskitchen.com

Prepping the corn husks – Instead of putting husks in a pot of boiled water, you could lay the husks in a large casserole dish and pour boiling water over them.  With this method, you’ll need to weigh them down with a heavy plate or lid.

Batch 1 – For the first batch I used a Cameron Smoker as a steamer which was placed on the grill.  I tied both ends of the husks (see picture above), laid them flat on the smoker’s rack, poured about 2 cups of water in the bottom of the pan, covered, and set the grill for about 350° F to 400° F.  It worked fine, but it took forever!  I ended up steaming them for over 1.5 hours with 15 minute rest.  They turned out great, but took longer than anticipated.
Vegan tamales with green chile, mushrooms and corn.  mjskitchen.com
Batch 2 – I’ll call batch 2 my Christmas tamales since I used both red and green roasted New Mexico chile that I had in the freezer.  I rolled the tamales the traditional way: open at one end, folded at the other, and tied in the middle.  I steamed them on the stovetop rather than the grill.  This worked better and only took an hour to steam, then the rest time. One thing that helped, that I don’t show in the picture, is to divide the tamales into rows by inserting extra corn husks.  This helps the tamales stand up straighter in the pot and adds gaps between tamales for better streaming results.

Assembly – By mixing the vegetables in with the masa, it saved A LOT of time and the assembly was much easier than laying down the masa then scooping the vegetables on top.  I will definitely continue to use this method for these tamales!

About halfway through assembling the tamales, the batter started getting a little dry; therefore, I mixed in a little more water, making the batter easier to spread.

The chile – I used New Mexico roasted green and red chiles (surprise, surprise :) ); however, poblano, serrano, jalapeno, or even sweet peppers for a milder tamale would work fine.  The amount of chile can vary according to how hot you do or do not want your tamales.  The chiles I had were really hot, but, once added to the other vegetables and the masa, the outcome was relatively mild.  Next time I’ll probably add more chile.

The broth – You can use water, chicken broth or vegetable broth.  The night before I made batch 2 I had boiled some green beans and potatoes and had saved the cooking water.  I used this broth for batch 2.  For batch 1, I used water.  As far as the difference in taste between the two batches, didn’t really notice any difference to be honest.

Recommended serving ideas:

• Smother with red chile sauce or green chile sauce.
  • Top with black olives, fresh diced onions and tomatoes, then a little grated cheese.  Pop in the microwave for 2 minutes and enjoy!  We LOVED them this way!  My Cantaloupe and Walnut salad made a great side dish!
  • As an appetizer – Cut them into bite size pieces and serve with a dip such as a pepper sauce, chile sauce, or harissa.
  • These tamales freeze very nicely.  When ready to use, just thaw and heat in the microwave for 2 minutes and they are ready to go!

If you like these Corn, Mushroom and Green Chile Tamales, then you’ll probably like my Red Chile Chicken Tamales.

These tamales have been shared with the following blog hops.  Be sure to click on the links for more inspiring recipes.

Bizzy’s Recipe Box, Whole Foods Wednesday, Gallery of Favorites, Weekend Potluck, Gluten-Free Fridays , My Meatless Monday, Allergy-Free Wednesdays, Showcase Your Talent Thursday, Frugal Food Thursday, Creative Thursday , Hearth and Soul, Fat Tuesday, Made From Scratch Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, What’s Cooking Wednesday?, Mom’s Test Kitchen Monday

You need to check out Emily’s Tamale Fiesta over at the Pursuit of Healthfulness.  She made some gorgeous tamales using this recipe!

This recipe was featured by Zesty South Indian Kitchen’s Hearth and Soul Blog Hop.

Tags: , , , , , ,

108 Responses to “Corn, Mushroom and Green Chile Tamales”

1. foods that help with asthma January 16, 2014 at 10:39 am #

Do you own any other content tied to this particular one??!
    My partner and I want to explore more about this particular area of interest!!
    ;-) I personally appreciate your main postings, nevertheless I
    really want a whole lot more details regarding recipes.
    Appreciate it!!!

Also visit my weblog :: foods that help with asthma

2. Jaime @ Mom's Test Kitchen September 18, 2012 at 8:20 pm #

Very impressive to see someone make homemade tamales! My husband loves them & I love that these are vegetarian!! Thanks so much for sharing this at Mom’s Test Meal Mondays!

• mj September 19, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

Thank you Jaime! These are easier to make than traditional tamales, so you should give them a try especially since you both love them.

3. A_Boleyn September 13, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

Hey, MJ. I came for the soba noodle spring rolls (from Nami’s blog) and stayed for the tamales. They’re on my cooking life list of things to make, at least once, before I get too senile to be trusted in the kitchen. Which may be soon. :)

I had looked forward to my first tamales, many years ago, based on descriptions I had read, and was greatly disappointed. Since then, I keep trying them in restaurants I go to, hoping to find something that compares to my vision. I’m not fussy about the fillings, as long as the tamale itself is tasty. Easier said than done it seems.

So far, the best tamale I’ve ever had was an unfilled sweet version in a local El Salvadoran place. I took pictures. :)

The thing I like most about the ones you’ve made above is the way that the flavourful veggies have been incorporated into the tamale mixture. I hope to be able to incorporate some of these ideas in the tamales I make … one day. :)

Hope to be back soon.

• mj September 13, 2012 at 9:54 pm #

Thank you so much for your comments! It did turn out to be a really good idea to incorporate the veggies into the masa. Now you get a little veggies in every bite! I hope you do get a chance to make these!

4. cajunville September 10, 2012 at 6:11 am #

MJ, these look fantastic. We have wanted to make tamales for sometime. These are definitely going on our “to make” list. Thanks.

• mj September 12, 2012 at 9:50 am #

And when you do make them – let me know how they turned out! Thanks for stopping by and hope you two are doing great!

5. Michelle September 5, 2012 at 5:50 pm #

MJ,
    Thank you so much for linking up your wonderful looking tamales to Creative Thursday last week. I can’t wait to try this recipe. I wouldn’t be able to do these wonderful parties without your participation :) Have a wonderful week.

Michelle

• mj September 12, 2012 at 9:49 am #

Thanks Michelle! What a nice comment! I do hope you get to try the tamales!

6. April @ The 21st Century Housewife August 30, 2012 at 2:40 am #

Can you believe it – I have never actually eaten tamales! I’ve just never had the opportunity. They always look so good though, and yours look fantastic MJ. I like how you have made them a bit healthier, and your tutorial is wonderful!

• mj September 10, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

Thanks April! It only took me 25 years of living in the southwest to finally make them so don’t feel so bad! Hope you get to try them soon!

7. Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) August 29, 2012 at 8:10 pm #

Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays recipe party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) YAY! Thanks for helping us build a wonderful Gluten Free Community! Its great to connect! See you next Friday! Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

• mj August 30, 2012 at 12:05 am #

Thanks so much Cindy! I’m glad you liked this recipe!

8. Emily August 29, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

I made these tonight for a small crowd. I was a little nervous because I didn’t have a real backup plan, but they turned out wonderfully! Thanks for sharing the recipe… I’m linking back to it on my blog.

• mj August 30, 2012 at 12:04 am #

Emily – Thanks for letting me know! It’s always a thrill when someone makes your recipe and likes it!

9. Jennie @themessybakerblog August 29, 2012 at 11:17 am #

I love tamales, and I love that this recipe is lower in fat. They are absolutely beautiful!

10. Amber @ The Cook's Sister August 27, 2012 at 8:53 am #

Your tamales look amazing! I haven’t tried tamales, I think I’ll have to try some next time I visit NM, then attempt to make them myself….

11. Allen@Cook! Bake! Share! August 25, 2012 at 12:45 am #

I love tamales and your Corn, Mushroom and Green Chile Tamales look amazing!
    Really beautiful accompanying photographs! Thank you for sharing these! Allen.

12. Karen (Back Road Journal) August 24, 2012 at 5:03 pm #

I grew up in Texas and tamales were definitely a part of my favorite foods there. Love your wonderful recipe. Good luck with your kitchen remodel.

13. Reese@SeasonwithSpice August 24, 2012 at 9:51 am #

This is fantastic, MJ! I just had tamales for the first time at MN Midtown Global Market and was pleasantly surprised to find the familiarity of its flavors to Malaysia foods. I told Mark that I’d love to try out tamales at home and here you are sharing a brilliant recipe just perfect for me to experiment! Thank you!

14. Terra August 21, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

Oh this is awesome! When I lived in Tucson, I loved winter season…..that meant it was time for green corn tamales!!!! Yum!!!! I have never made them, I have always heard how involved they are to make:-) Love reading that it took only 2.5 hrs to make them, and Oh My they look and sound delicious:-) Hugs, Terra

15. Tania @ A Perfect Pantry August 20, 2012 at 5:54 pm #

The presentation is just gorgeous… I’ve seen these made on TV shows, and I’m so glad you’ve sharing the recipe with us.

16. magicofspice August 20, 2012 at 3:41 pm #

I saw these earlier from my pad but could not comment from there…I so want one, or two of these right now! It is hard to find good vegetarian tamales unless they are just cheese. I really love this!

17. Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen August 18, 2012 at 6:22 pm #

I have never made tamales so it’s great to see the method. Love the veggie filling!

18. Katherine Martinelli August 18, 2012 at 11:58 am #

These look SO good MJ! Love tamales.

19. Anne@FromMySweetHeart August 18, 2012 at 10:42 am #

MJ….visiting you is such a culinary journey! These are absolutely amazing! I have to tell you, I have never had a tamale before. But these look so beautiful and I love all of your ingredients! Kind of a weird question, but can these be cooked in a crock pot? You did a great job with your challenge MJ! (I didn’t know you were a daring cook!)

• mj August 18, 2012 at 12:02 pm #

Thanks Anne! It’s interesting to read how many people have never had tamales! :) Unfortunately, tamales are not something that can be made in a crockpot. Now there is something called a tamale pie,that might work, but I’m not sure. I don’t have a crockpot so I can’t test it out. Yes – I joined DCC a couple of months ago. It’s been fun!

20. Giulietta | Alterkitchen August 18, 2012 at 9:32 am #

I never had a tamale in my life, but you always intrigue me with these new recipe! Great work, my friend! :)

21. Amy (Savory Moments) August 18, 2012 at 5:39 am #

Wow! Great recipe. I have never made (or eaten) homemeade tamales — these look wonderful!

22. Su Anne August 17, 2012 at 7:29 pm #

What a great idea blending the masa with the filling. Big time saver and why not, it’s all in one bite. Darn clever.

• mj August 17, 2012 at 9:16 pm #

Thanks Su Anne! Always looking for that shortcut! :) In addition to being a time saver, it’s easier to spread as well!

23. Nancy/SpicieFoodie August 17, 2012 at 4:10 pm #

Tamales are so intimidating to many. It’s not hard it’s just very time consuming. I’m loving your vegetarian version, they look mouthwatering. Also what a great idea to cut down on the fat. Thanks-I’ll have to try that next time.

24. Charles August 17, 2012 at 4:08 pm #

Beautiful MJ – I still haven’t made tamales – it’s hard to get a hold of those corn husks here… could I just make them myself by pulling off the husks and… I don’t know, drying them out? They look delicious!

• mj August 17, 2012 at 9:10 pm #

Thanks Charles! I really don’t see why you couldn’t use fresh corn husks. I rehydrate the dry ones anyway. I just checked out Swanson’s tamales @Chef in disguise and she successfully used fresh husks as well as vine leaves. It worked great!

25. Biren @ Roti n Rice August 17, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

I have never made tamales and did not realize they were so time consuming. I like this quicker and lightened up version.

26. Sawsan (Chef in disguise) August 17, 2012 at 12:23 pm #

Your tamali looks perfect MJ!
    I am in love with the vegetable mix, I am sure these tasted out of this world
    When the daring cooks made tamali I had a very hard time finding corn husks and wound up using vine leaves and fresh corn husks
    I need to find some dry ones and then I can give your recipe a try

• mj August 17, 2012 at 9:03 pm #

Thanks Sawson! I didn’t realize that DCC had a tamale challenge. I obviously missed it, but then I only joined a couple of months ago. How creative to use vine leaves and fresh husks! There’s no reason those shouldn’t work. I’ll have to go check out your challenge.

27. Tina (PinayInTexas) August 17, 2012 at 9:42 am #

wow! I am so amazed with how perfectly made your tamales look, MJ! My family loves tamales but I haven’t tried making them myself. I’m saving this for future reference!

28. Adora's Box August 17, 2012 at 3:09 am #

What lovely no guilt tamales! The vegetables must have added a lot of moisture and taste. I’m glad there’s no lard.

29. Quay Po Cooks August 16, 2012 at 11:30 pm #

Oh my goodness, your tamale look so perfect. I bought some corn husk but I have not get to make this yet. I am so glad I found your recipe. Thanks so much.

30. Liz August 16, 2012 at 7:33 pm #

I’ve never made tamales, but when I do, this veggie packed recipe will be the one I try! Just beautifully done!

31. France @ Beyond The Peel August 16, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

This is something I have yet to try my hand at. I can’t believe I’ve never made tamales!

32. vianney August 16, 2012 at 11:34 am #

Your tamales look amazing!!! I love that you added the veg to the masa, great idea for saving time. And adding chicken broth to the masa I bet adds a ton of flavor! Thanks for all the tips!!

vianney

• mj August 17, 2012 at 9:02 am #

Thanks Vianney! Such a comment coming from the queen of masa, I’m flattered!

33. Dana (ModulatingUp) August 16, 2012 at 6:01 am #

What beautiful Pictures! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I’m excited to check yours out!

34. Sanjeeta kk August 16, 2012 at 2:30 am #

I feel awkward after reading so many comments appreciating Tamales…and I am hearing this name and about the recipe first time :( Thanks MJ for bringing some of the wonderful authentic recipes to lime light…now back to reading the recipe…feels good :)

• mj August 17, 2012 at 9:01 am #

Sanjeeta, I am thrilled to introduce you to a new food! You do the same for me ALL of the time! I have to look up a lot of your ingredients! :) Tamales are extremely versatile and we just love them!

35. pizzarossa August 16, 2012 at 12:23 am #

MJ, your tamales look amazing!!! I’m going to have to check out the specialty store here for the masa and give these a try :)

• mj August 17, 2012 at 8:59 am #

Thanks Rachael! I appreciate your helping to motivate me to make these! Loved your challenge!

36. Tessa August 15, 2012 at 10:17 pm #

I adore tamales! I’ve never tried making them before… Yours looks so delicious!

37. monkeyshines August 15, 2012 at 5:58 pm #

Yum! Your tamales look fantastic! I love the corn and chiles together.

38. kitchenriffs August 15, 2012 at 4:42 pm #

These look terrific! I’ve had corn and green chile tamales before, but they were always kinda sweet and usually baked blind (no corn husks). These look much, much better – and mushrooms make everything better! Extremely nice recipe – thank you.

39. Cucina49 August 15, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

MJ, I’m totally grateful for this recipe! All too often tamale recipes have pork, which I don’t eat very often. Love this version.

40. kankana August 15, 2012 at 4:18 pm #

That’s fancy! And, I have both corn plus mushroom at home.

41. Vicky August 15, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

These sound delicious and a perfect way for me to use up my 5 pound bag of corn flour! Great photos too!

42. Kim August 15, 2012 at 11:44 am #

Your tamales look great! I will have to try them sometime soon. I have wanted to make tamales for so long, I have a few girlfriends here that host Tamaladas (the tamale making parties) around the holidays but I am never able to make it. Darn my schedule! However I do believe I could do them on my own. I must give the vegi ones a try! Thanks for sharing!

• mj August 15, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

Thanks Kim! I did these two batches on my own. Honestly, the total prep time from starting to boil the water for the husks, to placing the tamales in the steamer was only an hour! I had to do a little multitasking, but who of us doesn’t multitask in the kitchen? :)

43. FreeSpiritEater August 15, 2012 at 10:55 am #

I absolutely LOVE tamales! Fabulous job on these, they look great!
    P.S. I nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award =] http://www.freespiriteater.com/2012/08/very-inspiring-blogger-award.html

• mj August 15, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

Thanks SO much FSE!!!! I’ll got check it out!

44. esther August 15, 2012 at 10:21 am #

wow, these look very good, and I am truly impressed. What exacly is masa like, i also saw it in another recipe, and I don’t think it is easy to get here (Germany), I at least never heard of it, and already had to search for normal corn flour

• mj August 15, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

Thanks Esther! Masa is actually a very fine cornmeal or even a corn flour made from dried ground hominy. If you can find corn flour, that should work fine for tamales.

45. beti August 15, 2012 at 9:11 am #

your tamales turned out looking perfect!

46. Kate@Diethood August 15, 2012 at 8:16 am #

HI MJ!!
    Wow, what a delicious combination of flavors for these tamales!

47. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles August 15, 2012 at 7:06 am #

I’ve never had a tamale in my life! (how is that possible?) Love all the ingredients and you set the method out perfectly. The husk seems like a bit of work ;-) but the result is beautiful and seems well worth the effort! Great recipe MJ.

48. CJ at Food Stories August 15, 2012 at 7:05 am #

These are gorgeous, MJ … I’ve never made tamales before because it looks so intimidating :-)

49. Judy @Savoring Today August 15, 2012 at 6:41 am #

After a few days in NM, there would be no reason to use any other chile than what you used here–wish I had some right now. I have never attempted tamales, mainly because no one else in the fam likes them, so I am left to buy them from the car parked along the road when I have to have them–nothing in the stores compares. You have inspired me to give it a try though. Even if I’m the only one that eat them, I know they freeze well, so I’d have them for a while. :)

• mj August 15, 2012 at 1:15 pm #

Thanks Judy! Yep – it’s hard to beat NM chile! :)

50. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) August 15, 2012 at 5:46 am #

Those tamales are gorgeous and look so delicious!

51. Hotly Spiced August 15, 2012 at 5:45 am #

These tamales look delicious. I have never made them before and so I am super impressed xx

52. love2dine August 15, 2012 at 5:41 am #

This is a keeper. My whole family will love this recipe.

53. Debra August 15, 2012 at 4:58 am #

I have never made tamales but I love this veggie take. The Hubs loves green chilies and I love mushrooms so this might be my first attempt. Just an update on your cantaloupe salad—-we have taken it for lunch with a bit of turkey this week. Delicious!

• mj August 15, 2012 at 1:14 pm #

Thanks Debra! I’m so glad you liked my cantaloupe salad! Thanks for letting me know!

54. peachkins August 15, 2012 at 4:53 am #

lovely tamales!

55. Raymund August 15, 2012 at 12:48 am #

I only tried tamales once when I was in Vegas and it was not a good experience and never liked it, I must be the restaurant that served it.

This recipe of yours looks like it would free me from that trauma :) and I will give it a shot.

• mj August 15, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

Thanks Raymund! I’m sorry your only experience will tamales was not a good one. I bet they were dry. That’s usually the problem I run into with bad tamales. I hope you get a chance to make these and like them! Please let me know if you do.

56. Manu August 15, 2012 at 12:24 am #

Wow! I have eaten tamales a looong time ago in Guatemala and I have always wondered how they were made! I think they look so cute all wrapped up in corn husks! They sound and look delicious! Great job MJ! :-)

57. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef August 14, 2012 at 8:48 pm #

I haven’t had a homemade tamale in years! These look terrific.

58. Jody @ the hobby room diaries August 14, 2012 at 6:08 pm #

Oh wow, do I love homemade tamales! They are so worth the effort. My mom and I try to get together at least once a year for “tamale day” but I always want to just have a bunch of girlfriends over and make a party out of it. I love the veg you picked to fill these with, yum.

• mj August 14, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

Thanks Jody! A friend of mine had a girlfriend tamales day a few years ago. It was fun!

59. ChgoJohn August 14, 2012 at 5:16 pm #

I can’t believe you made tamales! Your lighter version sounds delicious and thanks for taking the time to list so many notes & tips. Should I ever make tamales at home, this will be the place I come to for help.

• mj August 14, 2012 at 7:26 pm #

Thanks John! I do hope you get a chance to make them some day. They are worth it!

60. Ramona August 14, 2012 at 4:45 pm #

Wonderful and healthy looking tamales. I agree… eating very rich food makes me feel really guilty and I would much rather eat your version so I can have MORE. :)

Hope you’re having a great week! ~ Ramona

61. Sissi August 14, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

I have never had tamales in my life, not to mention ground hominy (I think I have read about it in a Southern cookery book…). Are tamales always wrapped in corn husks? I love the way they look! They sound delicious too.

• mj August 14, 2012 at 7:25 pm #

Thanks Sissi! Yes, tamales are always wrapped in corn husks and steamed. I’ve never seen them cooked any other way. If you’ve never heard of tamales, I’m sure you’ve never heard of grits. That’s another ground hominy product (coarser grind) that I eat ALL of the time and is definitely a southern thing. I add green chile to it for that southwestern twist.

• Sissi August 15, 2012 at 2:59 am #

Thanks a lot, MJ. I have heard about grits (read about them in the same Southern cookery book), but of course have never had them.

• Beth August 30, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

Some cultures wrap them in banana leaves. That’s how I grew up making and eating them for special occasions. The taste is very different as well.

Thanks for sharing – I will definitely be playing around with your recipe with different fillers!

62. Rathai August 14, 2012 at 3:39 pm #

It’s a pity I have only tasted a few authentic Mexican dishes so far. I am very intrigued by the way it’s cooked (in leaves). We have some dishes that we prepare in a similar way in Sri Lanka. It looks and sounds sinfully delicious, I hope to taste this some day.

• Ramona August 14, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

Hi Rathai! Are you from Sri Lanka…. me too. :)

• mj August 14, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

Thanks Rathai! One of the dishes on my list to cook is to cook something in banana leaf. I love the way food tastes when it cooks in a wrapping! I hope you do get a chance to try these some day.

63. Choc Chip Uru August 14, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

I have never seen tamales before but they look incredibly delicious :D
    Wow!

Choc Chip Uru

64. Soni August 14, 2012 at 2:04 pm #

I’ve seen tamales being prepared on TV, but never tried it and I’m so intrigued :).Yours looks like a great version with canola oil and veggies.I really need a bite of this :)

65. Nami | Just One Cookbook August 14, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

OMG, this is the best looking homemade tamales I’ve seen! I bet they are so delicious!!!

66. Michelle @ Find Your Balance August 14, 2012 at 11:46 am #

There’s a great book called Fat by Jennifer McLagan that changed the way i think of lard!

• mj August 14, 2012 at 7:19 pm #

Michelle, believe me – I’m not against lard. I’ll cook in bacon drippings in a second. It’s the amount of lard. I’ll check out the book. It will be interesting to see what see has to say. Thanks for the recommendation.

67. Nisa Homey August 14, 2012 at 11:26 am #

MJ, I am learning a lot from you…..this is totally new to me…

• mj August 14, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

Thanks Nisa!!!! Being a teacher, that’s always nice to hear. :)

68. Nads August 14, 2012 at 9:47 am #

Well, it sounds like you did it again! We love tamales, but despite the abundance of available tamale options, we haven’t found any that knock our socks off. One of the problems with most tamales is that there is sooo much masa to get through before you get to the goodie. This way you get a mouthful of goodie with every bite. I love it! It opens up a whole realm of possibilities for ingredients too. The other problem this solves is the intensive labor associated with tamale making. This sounds easy enough even for me. (An aside: One of the markets here was running a big feature ad that they had “Hatch chilis” and all kinds of products made from “Hatch chilis.” I love it!)

• mj August 14, 2012 at 7:12 pm #

Thanks Nads! These are A LOT easier than traditional tamales and we did like having the veggies incorporated into the masa. That’s SO COOL that you’re starting to see Hatch chile! It’s picking time! I bought my first fresh chiles the other day (the one’s in the pictures :) ).

69. Jane August 14, 2012 at 8:59 am #

This is amazing! I have always wanted to make tamales but have been a little scared … I will have to try at some point!! Great directions!

70. Eri August 14, 2012 at 7:38 am #

I just love tamales and I love this combination of flavors!

71. Angie@Angie's Recipes August 14, 2012 at 7:22 am #

wow homemade tamales! Labour of love…I wish I could try one now.

1. Cinco De Mayo Fabulous Fiesta Foods - The Cottage Market - April 29, 2014

[…] […]

2. Red Chile Chicken Tamales | MJ's Kitchen - January 1, 2014

[…] with tradition, Bobby and I made two different types of tamales for the holidays this year – Corn, Mushroom and Green Chile and these Red Chile Chicken […]

3. Caramel Apple Tamales - September 5, 2012

[…] year, there will be no more pouting. Thanks to MJ’s Kitchen, I’ve got a great vegetarian tamales alternative. Now, I’m just taking it one step […]

4. Tamales reipes | Gwinnettgas - September 5, 2012

[…] Corn, Mushroom and Green Chile Tamale Recipe | MJ's Kitchen […]

5. Green tomales | Dimitribiriouk - September 1, 2012

[…] Corn, Mushroom and Green Chile Tamale Recipe | MJ's Kitchen […]

6. Tamale Fiesta - Pursuit of Healthfulness - August 29, 2012

[…] I found MJ’s recipe for corn, mushroom and roasted pepper tamales. No more excuses. It was time for me to follow through with my […]

7. On the Menu: 8/18 - Pursuit of Healthfulness - August 17, 2012