Black Bean Recipes

Black Bean Tostada @MJsKitchen

My last post was all about how to cook up a pot of dried black beans.  In this post, I’m going to share some recipes that use black beans. Below are my Black Bean Tostada Recipe and a few other recipes from some of my blogger friends.  Please feel free to share your favorite black bean recipe by providing a link or the recipe in the comment section.

For more wonderful recipes

Other suggestions for black beans

Black beans and chile – Add some red chile sauce or chopped green chile to a bowl of beans topped with chopped onions and feta cheese (or another cheese of your liking.) Serve with a side of tortillas or hot cornbread.

Fajita Style Black Bean Burrito – Saute slices of onion and bell pepper in a cast iron skillet over high heat until soft and starting to brown. Make a burrito in a warm flour tortilla with black beans, some of the onion and bell pepper, sour cream, cheese, lettuce, and fresh tomatoes. Smother with red or green chile sauce or both (Christmas).

Black Beans and Rice – Season your black beans with your favorite curry spices and serve over rice. I like using brown rice.

Black Beans in a Baked Sweet Potato – Season your black beans with either curry spices or southwestern spices and serve inside a baked sweet potato.  If you use southwestern spices, you could smother it all in red chile sauce. Bet you didn’t see that suggestion coming!  :)

Here are some more recipes to check out and give a try. Enjoy!

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burrito

Kelly Mulcair from Inspired Edibles is a registered nutritionist and the founder of Trinity Nutrition.  She shared this recipe and other great nutritional information in a guest post at The Three Little Piglets.

Homemade Tortillas and Black Bean Soft Tacos

As part of her effort to reduce waste, Sally of Tasty Easy Healthy Green developed this healthy and delicious soft taco recipe.

Black Bean Chicken Baked Potatoes

This recipe is great for a busy day. I put everything into the crock pot, headed to school, then finished the dinner after I got home. I added green chiles and Sriracha to add some spice to the recipe, as well as some extra garlic and salsa.”  Savour the Senses

Tofu Tacos (with black beans)

“I think this recipe is perfect for anyone who claims they don’t like tofu, or who wants to ease in to tofu eating. The tofu is marinated in spices and lime juice to amp up the flavor, then put on a taco with black beans, corn, and all your favorite taco toppings. It’s so frickin good.”  Katherine Martinelli

Chicken, Black Beans and Rice with Apple Salsa

A healthy and delicious plate of rotissiere chicken, black beans, and rice topped off with an apple slaw. From Cooking Healthy For Me.

Are you hungry yet?

Well, just in case you need more – here are some more ideas.

Healthy Lentil, Black Bean and Chicken Chili by Curry and Comfort.

I was recently awarded this Fabulous Blog Award by Easyfoodsmith, a wonderful blogger.  If you haven’t visited her website, just click on the link for a real adventure into some fabulous food!  Thanks easyfoodsmith! I’m honored!

This post has been linked to the following blog hops.  Click on the links for more exciting recipes.

Full Plate Thursday, It’s a Keeper Thursday, Frugal Food Thursday, Taste This Thursday (Featured), Fusion Friday, Weekend Potluck, Friday Potluck

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to “Black Bean Recipes”

1. Ishita S. February 28, 2012 at 8:17 am #

I love black beans, so I can’t wait to try these recipes — I’ve never tried dried beans before, so thanks for sharing those tips too!

2. Magic of Spice February 12, 2012 at 2:15 pm #

Oops, sorry…congratulations on your award as well :)

3. Magic of Spice February 12, 2012 at 2:14 pm #

I just love black beans, and this is a perfect round up of recipe ideas :)

4. Shannon | Just As Delish February 11, 2012 at 12:58 am #

My mama just gave me a bag of black beans and was wondering what to cook with them. Thanks for all the great recipes!

5. Baker Street February 6, 2012 at 11:59 pm #

Great ideas MJ! Thanks for sharing.

6. Sissi February 5, 2012 at 10:36 am #

Can you believe I have never cooked black beans? I think I haven’t even tasted them! Now, thanks to you, I have a wide choice for my first experiments. The tostada sounds excellent. Thanks for sharing.

7. sally February 5, 2012 at 9:25 am #

Yum! Your tostada recipe looks great, and so do all the others! I think it might be time to cook up another pot of black beans!

8. Reiko February 4, 2012 at 9:34 pm #

Yum!! This looks absolutely delicious and fresh!

9. Jenny @ Savour the Senses February 4, 2012 at 3:21 pm #

Thanks for linking up my recipe! All of these sound so delicious!

10. Food Jaunts February 4, 2012 at 12:43 pm #

Those tostadas look super tasty. Thanks for the black bean round up!

11. Miz Helen February 4, 2012 at 9:34 am #

Hi MJ,
    What a lovely collection of Black Bean delights! I often times will have a Black Bean Chalupa for my lunch. Your recipes all look awesome! Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

12. Jonnique February 4, 2012 at 12:53 am #

These look good and healthy! Can you please post on my Taste This Thursday party! http://www.bellmiracle.blogspot.com

13. Anne@FromMySweetHeart February 3, 2012 at 11:43 pm #

Your tostadas look wonderful MJ! I love looking at all of these black bean recipes because, though I love them, I just don’t work with them often enough! Great photos, too! : )

14. Christine February 3, 2012 at 10:59 pm #

I love black beans. Great recipe.

15. peachkins February 3, 2012 at 4:41 pm #

everything looks amazing! hopping here from Friday Potluck!

16. Katherine Martinelli February 3, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

Oh yum, these all look so fabulous!! Thanks so much for including my recipe :-) I love black beans and all this inspiration is great.

17. Nads February 3, 2012 at 10:29 am #

I love the idea of curry on the black beans for something different. We love curry. But on the tostada I think I would have added a big spoonful of your green chili sauce. I’ve become addicted. PS: You’re giving Bobby some real competition for beautiful food shots.

• mj February 3, 2012 at 1:22 pm #

Actually sometimes we add chopped green chile (which I forgot to mention!), but I’ve never used the sauce. Sounds like a great idea to me! On the photos – I have a good teacher! :)

18. Soni February 3, 2012 at 9:29 am #

Lovely ideas for black bean MJ!I love black beans, so healthy and delicious.Guess what,I have nominated you for a Leibster Award!!Check my new post!

• mj February 3, 2012 at 1:20 pm #

WOW! Thanks Soni! I’m headed over to check it out! Thanks for stopping by!

19. Jayasri February 3, 2012 at 2:24 am #

I had been out of blogging for months, missed lot of recipes, That’s a treat for the eyes, I have to bookmark this page for my daughter, she is been after me to make her tortillas so she can have do something like this and eat!, I have to show her this page, MJ the recipes are fabulous.., beautiful clicks too..

20. Charles February 2, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

Oh what fun – I love black beans, and I cooked up a whole bag a while back but didn’t really know what to do with them once they were ready, lol :D

Love the look of the tostada, and Kelly’s burrito I saw recently – looks fab :)

21. Giulietta | Alterkitchen February 2, 2012 at 10:21 am #

Oh, mine! MJ, I totally love these recipes :)

22. Ramona February 2, 2012 at 9:34 am #

PS.. Congratulations on the award. :)

23. Ramona February 2, 2012 at 9:31 am #

Thank you so much for linking my recipe. :) I’m glad everyone has a love for black beans as much as I do. Your tostadas look great. So fresh and healthy. :)

24. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles February 2, 2012 at 6:46 am #

Thanks so much for the love MJ ;-)

Your black bean tostada recipe looks gorgeous… I’ve never fried tortillas before, I bet they taste crispy delicious… Cumin is such a nice addition too.

So happy to have all of these recipes celebrating black beans to explore and enjoy. They all look so appetizing…where do I start? :) Great post MJ!

25. Sanjeeta kk February 2, 2012 at 1:01 am #

A treat for black bean lovers! Bookmarked for trying all the delicacies.
    Hugs.

26. Italian Notes February 2, 2012 at 12:09 am #

I’m a great fan of beans in all shapes and colours. Thanks for sharing this treasure trough of inspiration:)

1. Pico de Gallo with Pickled Peppers and Chipotle | MJ's Kitchen - October 1, 2014

[…] de Gallo with Pickled Peppers can be used as a dip or a topping for tacos, tostadas, burritos or a nice bowl of pinto […]

2. Spicy Bean Salad Recipe | MJ's Kitchen - May 8, 2014

[…] we love beans.  A few weeks ago I wrote a post on the black bean and then one with a potpourri of black bean recipes.  Today I’m going to talk about the bolita bean, similar to a pinto bean but a little […]

3. How to Cook Black Beans in a Pressure Cooker | MJ's Kitchen - November 24, 2012

[…] The versatile black bean – For several recipes that use black beans visit the following posts:  Huevos Rancheros and an assortment of black bean recipes. […]