Three Onion Green Chile Soup – Served Cold

Stay cool with this cold Three Onion Green Chile Soup topped with toasted pinon, herbs and sour cream. #greenchile | mjskitchen.com

Green chile season is quickly approaching.  Picking should start within the next couple of weeks, so what better time to begin introducing some new green chile recipes. Last year I started with this Baked Blooming Onion with Hatch Chile, so in keeping with the onion and green chile theme, here is a Cold, Three Onion Green Chile Soup.

Cold soups help us get through the long hot summer, so they are a favorite meal this time of year.  This three onion green chile soup is a tasty cold soup with a richness created from the use of three different types of onion and a little spice from roasted green chile.  For a bit of sweetness and crunch, this soup is topped with a dollop of sour cream and toasted pinons (pine nuts).  Serve with a simple grilled cheese of cheddar and bacon bits or your favorite for a complete meal.

For links to more chilled soups, a couple grilled cheese sandwiches, and a list of New Mexico fresh green chile suppliers, check out the links at this end of the post.

Stay cool with this cold Three Onion Green Chile Soup topped with toasted pinon, herbs and sour cream. #greenchile #Hatch #soup @mjskitchen

We are getting very close to seeing fresh green chile in the markets, but if you can’t get it fresh where you live, check out the New Mexico chile suppliers for our famous Hatch chile and green chile from throughout New Mexico.

For more cold soup and grilled cheese recipes, check out the links below.

Cold Curry Vegetable Soup – A great soup for using up some of the bits of vegetables left in the freezer.

Cold Asparagus and Garlic Soup

Cold Cucumber Soup

Cold Cantaloupe and Cucumber Soup

Grilled Cheese with Urfa Biber Chile

Albuquerque Turkey Grilled Cheese

Index of Green Chile Recipes from MJ’s Kitchen

Tags: , , , ,

20 Responses to “Three Onion Green Chile Soup – Served Cold”

1. Abbe@This is How I Cook July 18, 2017 at 1:08 pm #

Did I hear someone say green chile season? I am always ready for that! This soup sounds divine!

• mj July 18, 2017 at 9:09 pm #

Yep, green chile season is here! 🙂 Thanks Abbe!

2. Linda July 17, 2017 at 7:52 pm #

Oh my! This sounds delicious. I’m so excited to smell those chiles roasting! Thanks for sharing.

Wishes for tasty dishes,
    Linda

• mj July 18, 2017 at 9:08 pm #

Thanks Linda! Oh yes – can’t wait to start roasting!

3. Evelyne CulturEatz July 17, 2017 at 12:04 pm #

I am also a fan of cold soups in the the summer. I really want to try this one, love the 3 onions, the touch of green chile in there and the pine nuts. A bolw tonight would be nice 🙂

• mj July 18, 2017 at 9:08 pm #

Thanks Evelyne!

4. Deb|EastofEdenCooking July 17, 2017 at 10:00 am #

Very much drawn to the make ahead aspect of this scrumptious recipe. It fits perfectly with my busy summer schedule, especially with it’s lush flavor profile.

• mj July 18, 2017 at 9:08 pm #

Thanks Deb! It’s a great summer meal for sure!

5. Judy Purcell July 17, 2017 at 7:20 am #

The combination of leeks, shallot and yellow onion would bring great depth of flavor and a nice base for the green chile. This sounds delicious, MJ, and just right for summer dining. 🙂

• mj July 18, 2017 at 9:07 pm #

thanks Judy! The combination of onions really did create a great flavor profile.

6. Debra Eliotseats July 17, 2017 at 7:13 am #

This is the second chilled soup I’ve seen this morning online. We’re not big chilled soup fans but the green chilis have peaked my interest here.

• mj July 18, 2017 at 9:07 pm #

Thanks Debra! Well, it is the time for cold soup. I love them in the summer. They are so refreshing. Hope you give this one a try. It’s quite different from most chilled soups.

7. Angie@Angie's Recipes July 16, 2017 at 11:46 pm #

The soup looks so creamy that I thought you might have added potatoes in there…and you know what? I have never thought of using so much chili in a soup…now I can’t wait to give it a try too. Thanks, MJ, for this beautiful recipe.

• mj July 18, 2017 at 9:05 pm #

Thanks so much Angie! Originally I was going to add some cream, but having pureeing the onion and broth, it was creamy enough. Of course I really had to run my immersion blender at the highest level for a few minutes. It was worth it. 🙂 I actually started with 1/2 cup chile then kept adding. The full cup was great!

8. 2pots2cook July 16, 2017 at 10:50 pm #

On Saturday morning, I went for a walk along the street market looking for spicy ingredients and the ladies told me to wait for several weeks to get fresh green chile. Thank you for this idea since we have a heat wave here and it seems that it does not intend to stop. Perfect timing !

• mj July 18, 2017 at 9:03 pm #

Our heat wave has slackened off a bit, but it still gets into the 90s. Sorry your still having a hot summer. I love the 80’s but the 90’s and higher I could do without. 🙂 Have a bowl of cold soup and stay cool. 🙂

9. Anna @ shenANNAgans July 16, 2017 at 10:38 pm #

This perhaps might be a silly question MJ, but are green chills not hot? Are they used in cooking like this as they have a slightly more spiced capsicum/pepper taste? I am intrigued by your cold soup, itd be perfect for the warmer weather we experience (all year round). 🙂

• mj July 18, 2017 at 9:01 pm #

Anna, They can be hot. New Mexico farmers plant a variety of chile types that range from mild to hot-hot. I usually buy a little mild, lots of medium, and a little hot. A mix and match gives me the flavor of chile and then the level of heat I want for the dish.

I would love for it to be warm year round. 🙂 Of course, the way it’s going, I might get my wish in a few years.

10. John/Kitchen Riffs July 16, 2017 at 6:27 pm #

Green chile season! One of the best times of the year. 🙂 This looks great — love the 3 onions with the chilies. I’ll bet the flavor of this is fantastic. Really innovative soup — thanks.

• mj July 18, 2017 at 8:58 pm #

Thanks so much John! Yes…green chile season is such a great time of the year! I especially love the smell of chile roasting. 🙂