Apricot Clafoutis and What To Do With Lots of Apricots

Apricot Clafoutis - A delightful custard type dish with fresh apricots and a touch of sweetness. | mjskitchen.com

As you’ll see in the second part of this post, I’ve been dealing with a great crop of apricots this year.  Because of a warm spring with no late frost, the apricot trees in the area produced quite heavily.  Thanks to my gracious neighbor, I was able to gather enough apricots to jam and freeze, plus try out a couple new recipes – one recipe being this Apricot Clafoutis – a light custard with sweet and tasty apricots. Because of the sweetness of the apricots, this Apricot Clafoutis requires very little sweetener – just a little maple syrup and a sprinkle of brown sugar.

Clafoutis has become one of our favorite breakfasts and light desserts.  It is so easy to throw together, requires a quick bake, and is a delightful way to start or end the day. Leftovers can be refrigerated and served cold the next day or heated in the microwave for about 1 minute. Since I first made an apple clafoutis last fall, I’ve made a clafoutis with cherries, blueberries, and now apricot.  I can honestly say, we don’t have a favorite.  They are all good!  We just love the creaminess of the custard and the goodness of fresh fruit.

NOTE – Recently, a reader brought to my attention that “clafoutis” is reserved for cherries only.  Any clafoutis made with fruit other than cherries is actually a “Flaugnarde”.  I did a little research and she’s right!  So this Apricot Clafoutis is technically an Apricot Flaugnarde. 🙂

Apricot Clafoutis (Flaugnarde) - A delightful custard type dish with fresh apricots and a touch of sweetness. #clafoutis #apricots #breakfast @mjskitchen

What To Do With A Lot of Apricots

Bowl of apricots

Whenever I have a batch of fresh apricots I think of my granddad Barker.  Many years ago when we were relaxing in the backyard, he turned to me and said “Let’s take a walk.”  So off we went.  Even though he didn’t live here, he seemed to have a specific direction he wanted to go. We walked around the block and after passing a few houses, he stopped and surveyed the location of the house we stood in front of.  “Nope, it’s the next one.”  We walked to the next house where he preceded up the sidewalk and knocked on the front door.  When a woman answered the door, he said “I noticed that your apricots are ripe and falling from the tree.  If you don’t have plans for them, WE would love to come over and pick some.”  The woman smiled – “Help yourself”.  The next morning we went back and picked about a half bushel of apricots which kept us quite busy for the rest of his visit.

Last weekend Bobby and I went around the block to a friend’s house with a tree full of ripened apricots.  After picking for about 15 minutes we had quite a few.  What did we do with all of these apricots?  Needless to say, we ate a lot of them, added a few to a salad here and there, and put some up so we could enjoy them throughout the year.

Apricot pick of 2017 - froze some, made jam, a clafoutis and a BBQ sauce | mjskitchen.com

Apricot Jam – Because it’s Bobby’s favorite jam (and it was his birthday), I made four pints of no pectin apricot jam.

Jars of homemade apricot jam - no pectin, small batch #jam | mjskitchen

Smoothies – We’ve had a few smoothies with frozen banana and peaches, and fresh apricots.  Also made this Thai Tea Apricot Smoothie a couple of times, using fresh apricots and frozen peaches (no mango).  Just as good as the original.

Thai Tea Smoothie with Apricot and Mango

Barbecue Sauce – I finally tried a recipe I’ve wanted to make for a long time – Apricot Barbecue Sauce.  I’ll be sharing that with you next week.

Freezing Apricots – A few cups of apricots ended up in the freezer for future cobblers and smoothies.  To freeze apricots, I just slice them until I have 2 cups of sliced apricots.  Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. sugar, toss to coat and then bag in Ziplock sandwich bags, pressing the air out. To remove even more air, I’ll leave a small opening in the seal and suck out as much air as possible, then close the seal. The bag should form around and against the fruit. Two sandwich bags of 2 cups of apricot slices, fit nicely in a quart size freezer bag.

Apricot Clafoutis – Need I say more. 🙂

A huge thanks to my friend and neighbor for her labors in keeping her tree healthy and producing such tasty treats!

Tags: , , ,

38 Responses to “Apricot Clafoutis and What To Do With Lots of Apricots”

1. April J Harris June 29, 2017 at 1:25 pm #

I didn’t know you could only call cherry clafoutis clafoutis and had never heard of Flaugnarde…whatever you call this lovely dessert it looks delicious! Sharing on the Hearth and Soul Facebook page later today. Love all your other apricot recipes too, MJ, especially the lovely jam. Thank you so much for sharing, and for being a part of Hearth and Soul.

• mj July 5, 2017 at 6:18 pm #

I had never heard of Flaugnarde either, but some of the feedback I’m getting implies that maybe clafoutis is still more commonly used. Thanks for stopping by and sharing!

2. Amy (Savory Moments) June 27, 2017 at 12:28 pm #

This looks like such a lovely summer breakfast! I love apricots and I’m looking very forward to your bbq sauce recipe.

• mj June 27, 2017 at 12:40 pm #

Thanks so much Amy!

3. Katerina June 27, 2017 at 6:18 am #

Clafoutis is such a delicious dessert and using your own apricots makes it even more special!

• mj June 27, 2017 at 12:40 pm #

Thanks so much Katerina!

4. Sissi June 26, 2017 at 2:33 pm #

Oh, I wish I had this “problem” with a great crop of apricots too 😉 I also love clafoutis and seeing your beautiful slices I’ll probably make one in a very near future! (If I remember well, you like almonds; have you ever tried sprinkling some finely sliced on top of your beautiful clafoutis?).
    I know… clafoutis is traditionally with cherries only…. Even the French call this batter+different fruits a clafoutis…. I’ve seen savoury cherry tomato clafoutis too… (The term “flognarde”/”flaugnarde” is much less popular and many French people have no idea what it is, while everyone knows clafoutis). Anyway, the most important is the taste and I’m sure your clafoutis tastes fantastic!
    Chilli & apricot jelly? I haven’t made it for ages actually… but have it somewhere on my blog.
    Another thing I do with apricots (apart from upside-down tarts) is this Polish easiest “cake” on the earth:
    It’s usually made with grated apples, but it’s at least equally good with apricots. I say it’s a cake, but it’s very very creamy and soft…

• mj June 27, 2017 at 12:40 pm #

Thanks Sissi! No, I haven’t tried the almonds slices but that sounds good. Thanks for the info on clafoutis vs. flaugnarde. I just learned how to pronounce clafoutis so I’m thrilled that I don’t really have to learn how to pronounce flaugnarde. 🙂
      I actually have an apricot chile jam on my things to make list. Just didn’t get around to it this year. I’m going to try making it with some of the frozen apricots and so how that goes. Have never used frozen fruit for jam so it will be a good test for that as well.
      THANKS for the link to your apricot tart!!!! I forgot all about it. Need to go gather a few more apricots. I love creamy and soft.

5. Debra Eliotseats June 26, 2017 at 2:17 pm #

I have a few apricot preserve recipes I want to make but it’s hard for us to get good ones here for some reason. I am envious!

• mj June 27, 2017 at 12:35 pm #

I’m surprised how well apricots do here and I not complaining. 🙂

6. Melodie K. June 25, 2017 at 4:06 pm #

MJ,

Your Apricot Clafoutis ~ Flaugnarde looks SO delicious, I’ve got to make one for next weekend’s Independence Day Celebration. Yet I’d like to substitute almond flour for the unbleached flour so as to stay grainless. If you know this is a bad idea, either from your own or someone else’s experience, please let me know. Otherwise . . . I’m going for it! 🙂

• mj June 27, 2017 at 9:52 am #

Hey Melodie, This would be a great dish for the 4th! I have made this with apples and almond flour before and I have to admit that I wasn’t a fan. If you go to the Apple Clafoutis that I made in the fall, go to Kitchen Notes and you can see the result of using almond flour. The flavor was fine, but we didn’t like the texture. But as one of my gluten-free friends said, She’s gotten use to the texture of GF products, so such things don’t bother her. Maybe combine it with a little coconut flour? Not sure what to suggest since I don’t do a lot of GF baking. But please let me know if you find something that works. Thanks!

• Melodie K. July 1, 2017 at 4:23 pm #

Excited about baking this, MJ, bought my apricots yesterday! Yes, thank you, a blend of two or three flours might do the trick. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

• mj July 5, 2017 at 6:23 pm #

So did you make it? How did it turn out?

7. Marta June 25, 2017 at 10:10 am #

I so envy it, with apricots I can only buy it. But who knows, maybe it will be easier on a way, I’ll take a few jars just in case. The recipe looks delicious!

• mj June 27, 2017 at 12:35 pm #

Thanks Marta! Happy travels!

8. Raymund June 24, 2017 at 11:41 pm #

This goes well with a great tea or coffee, looks like the texture is quite smooth. Love it

• mj June 27, 2017 at 12:34 pm #

Thanks Raymund! I do like a slice with my morning tea.

9. Healthy World Cuisine June 24, 2017 at 11:19 am #

Oh my, what a good problem to have!!! Love each of your ideas. Especially partial to apricot jam. Wishing you a super summer MJ!

• mj June 27, 2017 at 12:33 pm #

Thanks! We’re partial to the jam as well. 🙂

10. Evelyne CulturEatz June 23, 2017 at 12:48 pm #

Wow that is a lot of apricots, I am so envious. Lots of Austrian swets are made wit them so if you have some left look those up. And I love a clafoutis, looks really good. But did you know that a clfoutis is exclusively for cherries? If you use another fruit it is then called a Flaugnarde. At least that is what some purists say lol.

• mj June 23, 2017 at 8:23 pm #

Thanks you so much Evelyne! I had never hear of a Flaugnarde, but just looked it up. You’re so right! My bad! I will be correcting this. Now I just need to learn how to pronouce it. 🙂

11. Deb|EastofEdenCooking June 23, 2017 at 9:49 am #

Your apricot jam is a beauty! Stone fruit doesn’t thrive in our coastal climate, so I’m planning on driving inland this weekend for…. apricots! The lush clafoutis may land right in the middle of my apricot plans.

• mj June 23, 2017 at 8:22 pm #

Thanks so much Deb! I’m surprised we can grow stone fruit in the high dessert, but it seems to work. YAY! Hope you find some apricots.

12. Adina June 23, 2017 at 4:32 am #

This looks perfect, I would love a large portion right now. So great to have your own apricots, I wish I did but they don’t grow here, it is just too cold for them. Still I buy lots and lots of them as long they are in season, although I have to say they are rarely so delicious as they used to be during my childhood and youth in Romania, where they grow just about anywhere. I would love to try that apricot smoothie as well.

• mj June 23, 2017 at 8:21 pm #

Thanks so much Adina! You know, for me it’s watermelon that has changed. They aren’t near as sweet as they were when I was a kid. I still love them, but wish they were sweeter.

13. Angie@Angie's Recipes June 22, 2017 at 10:53 pm #

wow That clafoutis looks so amazing! I just dried some apricots with thyme…great for afternoon snack :-)) Going to get some more!

• mj June 23, 2017 at 8:18 pm #

Dried apricots with thyme sounds awesome! Will you be posting that because I’d love to try it. Thanks Angie!

14. Anna @ shenANNAgans June 22, 2017 at 6:38 pm #

I have memories of the apricot tree we used to have in our front yard growing up, boy oh boy did we eat a lot of apricots. So much so that I won’t touch them now as an adult. 🙂 But I love your clafoutis, so perhaps I could use peach or nectarine in the ol apricots place.

Granddad Barker sounds amazing. Wish I had a granddad Barker to remember fondly like you do.

• mj June 23, 2017 at 8:17 pm #

Thanks Anna! Oh I can’t imagine having too many apricots and so many that you won’t eat them anymore. 🙂 Actually, that happen to me with cantaloupe. At A LOT as a kid, but then didn’t eat them for about 20 years. Now I’m back to loving them. Yes, I was lucky to have such a great granddad.

15. John/Kitchen Riffs June 22, 2017 at 5:27 pm #

Lucky you, with your abundance of apricots! Clafoutis is a great destination for fruit, and we’ve made them using a bunch of different fruits over the years. Never apricots, though! Really need to try this. And make a claufoutis for breakfast is a wonderful idea! We make them for dessert, and I’ve eaten the leftover for breakfast. But making them special for breakfast sounds SO GOOD! Looking forward to the apricot BBQ sauce!

• mj June 23, 2017 at 8:14 pm #

Thanks John! I use to make clafoutis for dessert but then we realized what a great breakfast they make, so they have moved into that position. 🙂

16. Nadalyn June 22, 2017 at 4:26 pm #

All of these recipes look fantastic but the clafoutis looks sensational!! What a great alternative to cobbler, not saying there is anything better than cobbler. I’m assuming it is less sweet since it is more eggs and less flour and sugar. We should all have the problem of too many apricots! Apricots are one of my favorite things. I will look for some at the market but in the mean time I will definitely try it with other fruit. I have lots in the fridge that need to be used. Can’t wait to dig in!

• mj June 23, 2017 at 8:12 pm #

Thanks Nadalyn! Yes, the clafoutis is a lot less sweet than a cobbler, our cobblers especially. Because of the eggs it’s more of a custard which makes a great breakfast or dessert. You all would love it. Do try it with any fruit you want. Love your new site BTW!

17. Kelly Mulcair June 22, 2017 at 3:58 pm #

Wait! I still haven’t made your peach cobbler 🙂 (ton of peaches on the way… but not quite ready yet). Happy Birthday Bobby! So funny, my husband loves apricot jam too – sadly our apricot tree didn’t make it and got replaced by patio furniture ;o). Love the story of granddad Barker – that’s the way to do it, very clever (and courteous). Your clafoutis looks wonderful and I’m also drawn to the idea of apricot bbq sauce – bring it on! :d

• mj June 23, 2017 at 8:03 pm #

Thanks so much Kelly! You could always have the apricot clafoutis for breakfast and the cobbler for dessert. 🙂 Sorry the apricot tree didn’t make it, but doesn’t everyone need patio furniture? We use ours all of the time. 🙂 Granddad Barker was a wonderful man. He was actually Bobby’s grandfather but was so loving to his grandaughters-in-law.

18. Susan June 22, 2017 at 3:42 pm #

Oh, my goodness, that looks like a wonderful dilemma, too many apricots. I volunteer to help and eat any and all of what you have pictured.
    Blueberries, strawberries and apples are the fruits of Maine. I know we can grow peaches here, but they have the thickest, woolest skin and are tiny, tiny.

It all looks yummy, enjoy!

• mj June 23, 2017 at 7:53 pm #

Thanks for the offer Susan. I could have used the help. 🙂 Next time. Just a few more left. I used to have a bunch of peach trees here, of three different varieties and all were awesome! Of course, we run into the same problem as the apricots – a late freeze and no fruit. With climate change we’re getting more and more years of fruits.