Home Fries and Their Many Possibilities

An easy method for making tasty potato home fries on the stovetop mjskitchen.com

Home fries are a wonderful addition to so many meals and in some cases, can be the primary ingredient that you build a dish around.  For example, this Southwestern Pileup uses a skillet of home fries to support a mix of vegetables and proteins, and your choice of red or green chile.

Home fries make a complement side to huevos rancheros, migas or a meat entree’ like green chile cheeseburgers,  pulled pork or smoked brisket.  And if you aren’t a fan of white or yellow potatoes, then never hesitate to make sweet potato home fries. They make a great substitute for the hash browns in this sweet potato and green chile dish.

Because of their versatility, home fries should be a standard, go-to dish for any home cook.  Everyone loves them, and your family will love you even more for making them.  In this post, I’ll share with you how I make home fries.  There is no parboiling, microwaving, or prep other than to chop, throw in a skillet, and season.  It’s an easy method for making a very tasty dish and only messes up one skillet, which for me, is important.

An easy method for making tasty potato home fries on the stovetop #fries #potatoes @mjskitchen

An easy method for making tasty potato home fries on the stovetop | mjskitchen.com

In what type of dishes do you use home fries?

Below is a quick brunch that I love to make.

Home Fries with Roasted Green Chile

Country Fries with Roasted Green Chile, cheese and an egg #greenchile #hatch @mjskitchen

1. Cook up a batch of home fries.
  2. Add some roasted red/green chile, sliced olives, and parsley.  Stir to combine and then cook for about a minute.
  3. Top with grated cheese (cheddar or Monterey Jack).  Remove from heat and cover.
  4. Fry an egg sunny-side up or over easy and place on top of fried.
  5. Enjoy for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner.

If you don’t have roasted green chile, you can always substitute red chile sauce or your favorite salsa.

Tags:

40 Responses to “Home Fries and Their Many Possibilities”

1. Evelyne CulturEatz February 20, 2017 at 2:15 pm #

I am an expert at burning or undercooking homefreis, I will have to try your recipe next time becasue I do love em’. I liek the idea of a dish called Southwestern Pileup lol! Thanks MJ.

• mj February 21, 2017 at 8:53 am #

These are so easy and actually, quite hard to burn unless you walk away and forget about them. 🙂 Oh and the Southwestern pileup – awesome!

2. Agness of Run Agness Run February 19, 2017 at 7:35 am #

Great recipe! Definitely saving this recipe for home fries!

• mj February 21, 2017 at 8:51 am #

Thanks Agness!

3. Anna @ shenANNAgans February 16, 2017 at 10:52 pm #

LOVE!!! <3 Years and years ago when my mom and I were travelling in the USA, we came across home fries and Im not even kidding, we ordered them at almost every meal, because … home fries, right?! Anyways, we had experienced some of the most excellent tastes ever until we ordered them from a 5 star resort in Puerto Rico, what arrived to our table was disturbing. It was like the chef had grabbed some frozen french fries, stuck em in a fryer to take the frozen edge off, coated in spray yellow cheese, scooped a dome of it onto a plate and sprayed a little more cheese and bam… home fries. Gosh we laughed. Ill have to dig up the photo. Haha! Anyways, it is awesome to see a classic we loved so much, can't wait to try. Thanks for the fun trip down memory lane. xo

• mj February 21, 2017 at 8:48 am #

Those Puerto Rico homefries don’t sound very appetizing. How can someone ruin something so simple? 🙂 I’m thrilled to have provided you with a remembrance and a recipe of something you love! I do hope you make them for yourself and your mother. 🙂 Thanks Anna!

4. Raymund February 16, 2017 at 11:34 am #

The roasted green chile would give that fries a nice boost in flavour!

• mj February 21, 2017 at 8:46 am #

You go that right! 🙂

5. Sissi February 16, 2017 at 6:51 am #

Only such a tiny amount of fat??? I cannot believe you have obtained such beautiful fries with such a light frying method! I’ve recently been dreaming of the Philips air fryer (which “deep-fries” food with 1 tablespoon of oil and the result is apparently the same as in real deep-frying, but it’s sooo expensive!), but now I see I don’t need it any more!!! Thank you sooo much for this recipe! My husband – a potato and beef lover – will be so happy when I make these.
    I already see them fried in duck fat…. what do you think? I still have a small jar in the fridge.
    PS I buy only organic potatoes too and since I hate peeling, I avoid doing it too. It’s funny but it shocks many people (I never ever peel carrots either, just brush them, it shocks even more!).

• mj February 20, 2017 at 9:19 pm #

This methods really doesn’t take much fat, and yes, I now really want to try a little duck fat. That would be awesome! The bacon drippings are a tasty addition so I can’t imagine that duck fat wouldn’t be even better. Hope you do make these. Let me know how they are with duck fat.

Personally, I never understood why people peeled potatoes and apples! There is so many good nutrients in the peel. Why throw them away? Just don’t get it. Thanks my dear!

6. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen February 16, 2017 at 3:07 am #

My daughter loves potatoes! I’ll try making this for her.

• mj February 20, 2017 at 9:11 pm #

Great! I hope you enjoys them. Thanks Peachy!

7. Debra Eliotseats February 15, 2017 at 4:17 pm #

Just read a restaurant review of a new place here that serves (wait for it) Duck Fat Home Fries!!!!!!

• mj February 20, 2017 at 9:11 pm #

OH….my tummy is turning. Duck fat fries would be awesome! I love adding a little bacon drippings which is pretty good too. 🙂

8. Shashi at RunninSrilankan February 15, 2017 at 7:26 am #

You are so right, MJ – everyone I know LOVES home fries! I’ve not chopped mine up before and I cannot wait to try it – putting this on the menu for the weekend!

• mj February 20, 2017 at 9:10 pm #

Thanks so much Shashi! Let me know how you like them.

9. Kelly Mulcair February 14, 2017 at 6:36 pm #

I can (and sometimes do) eat my body weight in home fries 😮 they are my kind of dessert. I’m struck by the beautiful color and sear that you were able to obtain with so little fat – quite remarkable. Also, your method is new to me – first the steaming of sorts (with lid) and then the more traditional sauté – I have to try that. I most commonly bake in the oven but it’s challenging to get the crisp factor – looking forward to this one.

• mj February 14, 2017 at 9:13 pm #

I think the steaming process helps to keep the need for more fat. The steaming allows the potato to release some of their moisture which helps in the browning process and then keeps them from drying out once you remove the lid and turn up the heat. They could out with a great flavor and wonderful textures inside and out. Thanks!

10. A_Boleyn February 14, 2017 at 3:08 pm #

A great basic dish indeed.

• mj February 14, 2017 at 9:10 pm #

Thanks Ann!

11. Karen (Back Road Journal) February 14, 2017 at 1:23 pm #

Cooked to perfection…just the way I like them.

• mj February 14, 2017 at 9:10 pm #

Thanks Karen!

12. Deb|EastofEdenCooking February 14, 2017 at 1:22 pm #

Potatoes are such fabulous comfort food! I’ve never tried sweet potatoes on the stove top and your recipe is just the inspiration I need to give the recipe a try.

• mj February 14, 2017 at 9:10 pm #

Sweet potatoes made using this methods are great! Hope you do give them try. Thanks!

13. Adina February 14, 2017 at 11:47 am #

I have made potatoes in a thousand ways in my cooking life, but never quite like this. And it is so easy. I can’t wait to try them.

• mj February 14, 2017 at 9:09 pm #

Really? I’m thrilled to introduce something new to you Adina! I’ve been making these for years and just thought everyone makes them. Also didn’t post this because I thought it was so common. Glad I did. Thanks for your comments!

14. John/Kitchen Riffs February 14, 2017 at 9:16 am #

Home fries are SO good, aren’t they? Can never get enough of them! I sometimes parboil the potatoes, then cut them up and fry them, but I think your method results in the absolute best flavor. And definitely the best texture! Really good — thanks.

• mj February 14, 2017 at 9:08 pm #

Yes they are. 🙂 It’s about the only way we eat potatoes nowadays. I never have been a fan of parboiling because the reasons you mentioned. The texture of these fries are my favorite. Thanks for your comments!

15. April J Harris February 14, 2017 at 7:43 am #

Love home fries and your homemade version is SO much nicer than the frozen ones. I especially like that you leave the skin on. I’m going to have to give these a try – they are the base of so many comfort food recipes!

• mj February 14, 2017 at 9:07 pm #

Thanks April! I hope you do give them a go. Let me know how it works out. Thanks!

• April J Harris February 20, 2017 at 8:44 am #

They were lovely, MJ, a real treat! Thank you for sharing them with us at Hearth and Soul!

• mj February 21, 2017 at 8:52 am #

Thanks so much April!

16. Angie@Angie's Recipes February 14, 2017 at 7:19 am #

Have never thought of making fries in stove…that’s just brilliant and they look really crisp and delicious, MJ.

• mj February 14, 2017 at 9:06 pm #

Thanks so much Angie! When I’m in the kitchen I want to be “doing” stuff, so I don’t use the oven much. I prefer cooking what I can on the stovetop and these fries are one of those dishes. 🙂

17. Judy Purcell February 14, 2017 at 6:09 am #

You’re right, everyone loves home fries! Great pic too. 🙂

• mj February 14, 2017 at 9:01 pm #

Thanks so much Judy!

18. Bill February 14, 2017 at 5:52 am #

I wish that you would append your Kitchen Notes to your recipes. I can print the recipes, but I always find myself referring back to your Kitchen Notes. Thanks for another great post.

• Jan February 14, 2017 at 6:41 am #

I agree, Bill. Recipes I want to save I cut & paste to GoogleDocs. I always include the Recipe Notes, so I go back and c&p them to add to the recipe. Sometimes there’s so much great info within the post, I just c&p the address link!

• mj February 14, 2017 at 9:05 pm #

Jan, thank you for your suggestion and comments. Would it work to also put the Kitchen Notes in a separate print box? For the longer recipes, I’m afraid that by including them within the recipe box, it might make the recipe too long and the print would go into a second page anyway. However, I could include the Kitchen Notes in the shorter recipe. Please take a look and let me know what you think? Thanks so much for your feedback.

• mj February 14, 2017 at 9:01 pm #

Bill, Thanks so much for your suggestion! What a great suggestion! When it’s a short recipe I could definitely do that. For the longer ones, would it work to set the Kitchen Notes in a print box like I do the recipe? Since this is a short recipe I moved the Kitchen notes into the print box. PLease let me know if this works. Thanks again for your suggestion!