New Mexico Pork and Green Chile Posole

A traditional New Mexico posole' with pork and green chile #posole #pork mjskitchen.com

After a brief week of warmer weather, winter returned and so did the desire for comfort food.  Upon the request of a visiting friend, I made this New Mexico pork and green chile posole.  This posole, like most posole dishes, is hearty, spicy and warms you through and through.  It’s made with pork shoulder and roasted green chile, and served with warm corn tortillas.  The only problem with this posole is making sure you have enough, because everyone is going to want seconds!

If you are unfamiliar with posole, click on the following link. What is posole?

A traditional New Mexico pork and green chile posole #posole #pork @mjskitchen

Did you like this New Mexico Pork and Green chile Posole?  If so, then try out these other posole recipes on MJ’s Kitchen.

Chorizo, Mushroom and Posole (Hominy) Soup

Posole with Italian Sausage and Kale

Green Chile Chicken Posole

Tags: , ,

40 Responses to “New Mexico Pork and Green Chile Posole”

1. Tamara Andersen March 16, 2017 at 8:48 am #

I think this post came out when my kids were visiting from Las Cruces! I saw it when I went to see the corn tortillas, and had to stop by. I’m out of green chile! It’s very sad… Evan said “Mom, I could have brought you some.” Duh! I wish I’d have mentioned it. Your stew looks fabulous, and makes me a bit homesick for New Mexico!

• mj March 19, 2017 at 6:52 pm #

Oh no! You should just make a package of green chile a standard for when the kids visit. 🙂 Every time I go see my BILs I have to take them some green chile. Hope you had a great visit with the kids. Probably wanted to come back to NM with them, didn’t you? 🙂

2. Asmita March 13, 2017 at 9:12 am #

Hi MJ,
    This looks so comforting and delicious! I have heard of this dish but never tried it. Glad you have shared the recipe and will definitely be bookmarking this one:)

• mj March 13, 2017 at 9:37 am #

Thanks so much Asmita!

3. Helene D'Souza March 12, 2017 at 11:56 pm #

The seasoning alone made me drool at the thought of your posole MJ. I have never heard of it before but that’s my kind of food! We usually don’t have pork very frequently, however I think a comforting bowl of this would make me happy when the weather is cold outside.

• mj March 13, 2017 at 9:36 am #

Thanks so much Helene! One of the things I love about posole is that it is so versatile. It goes well with pork, chicken, beef or just vegetables. The flavor is so unique and delicious. Wish you could try it.

4. Vicki Bensinger March 11, 2017 at 3:10 pm #

I’ve never had this before but I bet it’s delicious! You always create the best spicy dishes. I’m certain I’d have to take a pepcid before eating something like this or a tum after. However, I’m sure I’d love it going down either way!

• mj March 13, 2017 at 9:22 am #

Thanks so much Vicki! Thank goodness for pepcid. 🙂 Actually, you can control the spiciness with the type of chile. Mild chile has the spiciness of bell pepper but a better flavor.

5. Anne@ASaladForAllSeasons March 9, 2017 at 8:46 am #

MJ, this looks soooooo good! I bet that pork is so tender. I will definitely look for posole to try this out. They are calling for snow here in Maryland this weekend! I think your beautiful posole would certainly help me to stay warm!

• mj March 11, 2017 at 10:37 am #

Thanks so much Anne! Because I used the pork shoulder, it really was tender. SNOW!?!?! We’re going to be in the 70’s this weekend. If it were snowing, I would definitely be cooking up another pot this. 🙂 Stay warm my dear!

6. Sissi March 8, 2017 at 6:21 am #

I feel so smug thinking “I’m already familiar with posole!” 😉 All this thanks to you! I still have a small amount of posole left and since, judging from what I read and see, I might be the friend who asked you for a pork & posole dish, so I should put this new posole dish on my to do list!

• mj March 11, 2017 at 10:34 am #

You still have some left! Perfect! Save it for some of your summer chiles. You’ll love this. 🙂 Thanks Darlin!

7. ChgoJohn March 7, 2017 at 8:30 pm #

This recipe really interests me, MJ. I’ve been meaning to give posole a try but the various forms of corn required stymied me. You must have read my mind because that link you included cleared up my confusion. Living here, I’ve a number of Mexican groceries in which to shop. I know that I’ve seen canned hominy but haven’t seen frozen nor dried posole. Well, it’s not like i’ve been looking for it, either. I will now, though. Winter still has a few cold days up its sleeve, to be sure, and your posole would be a great meal for one of those days. Thanks for sharing another of your fantastic recipes. I’ll let you know how I do. 🙂

• mj March 11, 2017 at 10:33 am #

Thanks so much John! Posole is new to people outside Mexico and the southwest. We can find it in all forms. You may be able to find the dried posole in the “ethnic” aisle of your grocers or in a Mexican grocer. Of course, nowadays, you can buy it online, like you can buy anything online. 🙂

8. Katerina March 6, 2017 at 6:28 am #

Things are much warmer than last month here, but at nights it is still quite chilly! I think this posole would be a great dinner! Pinned!

• mj March 6, 2017 at 3:49 pm #

Thanks Katerina and I appreciate your pinning it!

9. Easyfoodsmith March 6, 2017 at 4:11 am #

Looks like a very hearty dish and those flavors sound amazing. And I love how I get to learn something new from you. This time it is the posole. On first look I thought it was kind of chick pea.

• mj March 6, 2017 at 3:48 pm #

So glad to have introduced you to something new! Posole isn’t anything like chickpea so I hope you get a chance to try it sometime. Thanks!

10. Karen (Back Road Journal) March 5, 2017 at 10:50 am #

I haven’t made pozole in a couple of years…you are lucky to have the availability of pozole, I have to use hominy. Have you ever used tomatillos when making the green version? I’ve used them as well as ground pepitas before.

• mj March 5, 2017 at 8:08 pm #

No I haven’t use tomatillos nor pepitas in my posole. I believe that is more of the Mexican way of making pozole. This recipe is more of a New Mexican posole. I’ll have to check out the Mexican version. Thanks Karen!

11. Liz March 4, 2017 at 3:57 pm #

I’ve never had posole, but you’ve made me very hungry via your photos, description, and recipe! I will see if I can find posole at any of my markets. I think Bil would love this if I made a toned down version 🙂

• mj March 5, 2017 at 8:06 pm #

Thanks Liz! Posole will provide a nice new taste for you and Bill!

12. Evelyne CulturEatz March 1, 2017 at 12:54 pm #

Oh MJ that really does look incrdibly comforting. Finding posole here could be a bit more of a challenge, one worth takign one though. Here the weather is all over the place from 1 day to the next. I am in Celcius, between last Sat afternoon and Sun morning there was a 30C difference, that is just nuts.

• mj March 2, 2017 at 10:40 am #

30C difference…that is nuts! But we’re getting much the same. The husband went walking in a T-shirt last week and now we’re back to winter coats. UGH!!! Oh well, there’s always posole to keep us warm. 🙂 Thanks Evelyne!

13. Abbe@This is How I Cook February 28, 2017 at 9:35 pm #

I do love posole! You are right it is perfect for a cold day. Got cold up here too! After I finsh the gumbo just might have to do a pot of this!

• mj March 2, 2017 at 10:37 am #

Thanks Abbe! We’ll be making our gumbo this weekend. Yours made me quite hungry!

14. Nads February 28, 2017 at 2:12 pm #

Another great addition to your posole recipe collection. I have tried all of your posoles and love them all. It’s turned really warm here so I probably won’t be trying it right away. Plus my fellow posole lover isn’t around to share it. I definitely will be making at some point though. Your pictures make my mouth water. YUM!! Maybe I won’t wait after all.

• mj March 2, 2017 at 10:36 am #

Thanks Sweetie!! I know how much you love posole. I think the posole lovers of your family would enjoy this one as well. 🙂

15. Yi February 28, 2017 at 12:38 pm #

This posole looks so delicious and inviting! Love the sound of chile spice you created. Although the weather has been holding up relatively well here in NYC, I can never refuse a heart warming dish like this.

• mj March 2, 2017 at 10:35 am #

Thanks so much Yi! Sounds like it’s colder in the SW than in the northeast …. for a change. 🙂

16. John/Kitchen Riffs February 28, 2017 at 10:09 am #

Love posole — neat ingredient. And it blends so well with pork and green chilies! This is a dynamite dish — my kind of food. 🙂 Thanks!

• mj March 2, 2017 at 10:35 am #

It is a great ingredient isn’t it? Thanks!

17. Debra Eliotseats February 28, 2017 at 9:41 am #

Love the green chile but I just have never been a hominy fan. This looks delicious, though!!!!

• mj March 2, 2017 at 10:34 am #

Personally, I’ve never been a canned hominy fan either, but I love fresh/frozen posole! I find a huge different. Thanks Debra!

18. Deb|EastofEdenCooking February 28, 2017 at 7:39 am #

Comfort food at it’s finest! Although the pounding rain and wind is giving us a break from the winter storms, the cold evenings cry out for a bowl of this wonderful posole.

• mj March 2, 2017 at 10:34 am #

Thanks so much Deb! You guys are certainly getting the type of weather that calls for comfort food!

19. Judy Purcell February 28, 2017 at 6:43 am #

My husband is not a fan of hominy, but I think this could win him over — he loves green chile and pork! It’s supposed to snow here today and this is just the kind of hearty meal that makes winter more bearable. Great recipe, MJ.

• mj March 2, 2017 at 10:32 am #

Thanks Judy! Personally, I’m not a fan of canned hominy but I love frozen/fresh posole. I can’t believe winter returned. Boo! 🙂

20. Angie@Angie's Recipes February 27, 2017 at 10:15 pm #

Posole is new to me, but you can hardly go wrong with the combo of pork and chile. YUM!

• mj March 2, 2017 at 10:32 am #

I think posole is mainly a southwestern US and Central America product. Those regions have been very dependent on corn and corn products, so there have been many creative ways of enjoying it. Thanks!