Apple Clafoutis – A Delightful Apple Custard Treat

Apple clafoutis is a light apple dessert with chopped apples and a semi-sweet custard | mjskitchen.com

October is National Apple Month and what a month it’s been for great apples! Wanting to give a new apple recipe a try, I decided on an apple clafoutis.  I chose the clafoutis because Bobby and I both love custard type dishes and fruit, and, it’s a dish I’ve never made.

This apple clafoutis is not a traditional French clafoutis which, from what I found, is made with cream and sugar.  It’s a bit lighter in that it’s made with 2% milk, a little brown sugar to coat the apples, and maple syrup in place of sugar for the egg mixture.

Feedback on the first apple clafoutis, made with 2 eggs and 2 Tbsp. maple syrup, was “good”, but we both wanted a little more custard and a touch more sweetness.  For the second one I added a third egg and another tablespoon maple syrup. Texture and sweetness were just what we were looking for.  It was a keeper.  Just to make sure I made a third one with the same results. It disappeared as quickly as the others.

This apple clafoutis is such an easy dish to make.  You can throw it together in about 15 – 20 minutes, then bake it for 35 minutes.  We enjoy this apple clafoutis for dessert, but have found that it makes a nice warm breakfast on a cool morning.

NOTE – Recently, a reader brought to my attention that “clafoutis” is reserved for cherries only. Any clafoutis made with fruit other than cherries is actually a “Flaugnarde”. I did a little research and she’s right! So this Apricot Clafoutis is technically an Apricot Flaugnarde. 🙂

A lighter version of an Apple Clafoutis-a light custard dessert/breakfast with baked apples #clafoutis #apple #custard @mjskitchen

A lighter version of an Apple Clafoutis #clafoutis #apple #custard @mjskitchen

Apples – For the best finished texture of firm, not mushy apples, start with crisp apples.  For a sweeter dish, use sweet apples.  We personally liked the sweet-tart “no name” apple that I buy from Montoya’s Farm, a local farm in Albuquerque.

Sliced or Cubed – The sliced apples tended to get pushed on top of the custard while cooking.  The cubed apples were more incorporated into the custard.  The sliced apples made a prettier dish, but it was harder to cut into serving size pieces.
This apple clafoutis was made with almond flour to create a GF custard. mjskitchen.com
Flour:  Gluten-Free Adjustment – A friend of mine is gluten-free (GF) so I attempted a GF version by substituting the unbleached flour with almond flour. Even though it still had a great flavor, I, personally was not fond of the texture.  It was rather grainy as you can see in the picture to the right. (Click to enlarge.)

Milk – For this recipe, I used 2% milk.  For one batch I didn’t have enough milk so I substituted half of the milk with Vanilla Almond milk. We couldn’t tell any difference in the final product.  So if dairy doesn’t agree with you, don’t hesitate to use almond milk.

If you’ve been buying apples like I have this fall, you really should use a couple of them to try out this apple clafoutis.  It is so easy to make and was a delight to serve to family and friends and, to wake up to in the morning with my morning tea.

If you are looking for more apple recipes to enjoy this fall, check out this Collection of Sweet & Savory Apple Recipes.

During the spring when the apricot are ready, here is an Apricot Clafoutis (Flaugnarde) you should also enjoy.

Tags: , ,

55 Responses to “Apple Clafoutis – A Delightful Apple Custard Treat”

1. Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina December 27, 2016 at 8:12 pm #

My husband would kiss my feet if I made this for him. We both love apple desserts and this looks absolutely heavenly, M.J.! Maybe I’ll surprise him soon with this! Thanks for sharing!

• mj December 29, 2016 at 10:50 am #

My husband gives me a big kiss every time I make this for him. He loves it! I hope you and your husband loves it as much as we do. Wishing you a Happy New Year!!!

2. Karen (Back Road Journal) October 31, 2016 at 7:51 am #

What a like and delicious fall treat.

3. ChgoJohn October 28, 2016 at 12:25 pm #

“Delightful” is right, MJ! This looks sooo good. A few years ago I prepared a clafoutis that turned out to taste more like scrambled eggs with some fruit in it. I played with the recipe until I got something far tastier but never went back to that well. Now, this is a different story completely. I’m going to make this — and soon. With apple season in full steam, this seems like one of the best ways to take advantage. Thanks, MJ.

• mj October 30, 2016 at 7:09 pm #

Thanks John! I’ve made this one about 6 times now and it comes out great every time. Hope you have the same results.

4. Sheila Fuller October 27, 2016 at 7:28 pm #

My kind of recipe – easy to make, ingredients I always have on hand, and absolutely delicious. I had to share it with my neighbors.

• mj October 30, 2016 at 7:08 pm #

Thanks Sheila! and thanks for sharing with friend!

5. Liz October 26, 2016 at 12:56 pm #

I’ve made both a cherry and peach clafoutis, but apple sounds even better! Perfect easy autumn dessert

• mj October 26, 2016 at 1:31 pm #

Thanks Liz! You’re about the third person that has mentioned cherry clafoutis. Now I can’t wait for fresh cherries. 🙂

6. Katerina October 26, 2016 at 12:02 pm #

Such a delicious way to celebrate apple season! Easy and tasty! Pinned!

• mj October 26, 2016 at 1:30 pm #

Thanks Katerina!

7. S Perkins October 25, 2016 at 12:13 pm #

This recipe looks great, but I need to make it for a much larger crowd (for fellowship at church). Can I multiply the ingredients and make this in a large rectangular baking dish?

• mj October 25, 2016 at 4:29 pm #

Thanks S Perkins!!! I just look through the recipe again and I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t just double it and put it in the bigger dish. Depending on the depth of the dish, you might need to cook it longer, maybe 45 minutes. The dish I used was about 1.5″ depth. Please let me know how it works and I’ll add your results to the post. Thanks again.

8. ray October 25, 2016 at 9:15 am #

To be honest, I’ve never had this dish before. Looks very hearty and delicious. It makes me wonder if it taste like our apple pie, MJ. Hmm, I have to try your recipe to get rid of some of my ignorance. Hahaha. I hope you had a wonderful birthday, MJ. 🙂

• mj October 25, 2016 at 10:58 am #

Thanks So much Ray! It’s quite different from MY apple pie, but I make a traditional one. Not sure how you may apple pie but if it uses a custard, it might be very similar. Hope you get a chance to make it. Thanks so much for the birthday wish my friend!!!! 🙂

• ray October 26, 2016 at 8:23 am #

Yeah I think the use of eggs is what make the difference. I’m sorry, I meant “our” as in our American apple pie and I’m sure when you make your apple pie, . . . it is much more special. Take care. 🙂

• mj October 26, 2016 at 1:30 pm #

Okey Dokey! Was wondering if Filipinos had a “special” pie. 🙂

9. swathi October 24, 2016 at 7:18 pm #

Delicious MJ thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop, pinning, tweeting and featuring on this week’s hop.

• mj October 25, 2016 at 10:55 am #

You are most welcome and thank you for all of the sharing!

10. Vicki Bensinger October 24, 2016 at 7:16 pm #

This sounds wonderful and I love all your tips. I actually can’t recall if I’ve ever made this either although I feel like I’ve made something similar. It’s perfect for this time of the year and I’m sure it would be devoured quickly in my home.

• mj October 25, 2016 at 10:55 am #

Thanks so much Vicki!

11. Sissi October 24, 2016 at 4:10 am #

MJ, your clafoutis is beautiful and looks so delicious, I might change my apple tart plans for this week…. I don’t think I’ve ever made an apple clafoutis, but it sounds like a great idea, especially with almond milk (I once used only this milk and it did make a difference in taste, though quite subtle). You’ve reminded me I should make almond milk more often.
    Even though traditional sources call for cream, my usual (French sourced) recipe calls for milk only, so I was surprised when, after several years, I saw cream in another recipe! For me it’s always been classified as one of the light desserts…
    I think nowadays most home French cooks (and also pastry chefs) make much lighter desserts than those from the Julia Child’s times 😉 (though some cannot be slimmed down, alas….). Alain Ducasse, a very famous Michelin-starred chef, has a half-milk half-cream crème brûlée in his bistrot cookery book (not even labelled as “light”!) and this is the only crème brûlée I have been making for years. The lighter one tastes better and is more sophisticated. So is your beautiful clafoutis, I’m sure!

I don’t have good memories of food served by a gluten-intolerant friend, especially cakes… also gritty texture in desserts that should be smooth… but she always said she loved her creations.

Talking of almond milk, I once used only almond milk in an apricot clafoutis and the taste was really different (but I guess apricots have also a slight almondy flavour…).

• mj October 25, 2016 at 10:53 am #

Well, you just taught me more about clafoutis than I read online. 🙂 Thanks! Dairy is not always my friend, so I’m trying to use Almond milk more and more in baking and it does seem to work. It adds a little different flavor than milk, but it’s all good. It worked nicely with the apples. Yep, I just can’t get use to the grittiness of GF baked goods. Thanks goodness I don’t have to work about it. 🙂 Thanks so much girlfriend!

12. Debra Eliotseats October 23, 2016 at 10:18 am #

Maple syrup? Genius idea and the perfect compliment to this fall dessert, M.J. (I’m going to try this in my next apple pie!)

• mj October 25, 2016 at 10:48 am #

Thanks Debra! I use maple syrup quite often for a sweetener. Thanks goodness for Costco. 🙂 Hope you enjoy!

13. Evelyne CulturEatz October 20, 2016 at 7:39 pm #

Oh I do like clafoutis and this one looks amazing, great modifications an d seasonal twist with apples.

• mj October 25, 2016 at 10:48 am #

Thanks Evelyne!

14. Adina October 20, 2016 at 5:33 am #

I love clafoutis and I’ve made with cherries, plums, peaches and pears until now. Never apples though, I really have to try that soon.

• mj October 25, 2016 at 10:47 am #

Thanks Adina! I now need to start trying other fruit. Cherries sound awesome!

15. Abbe@This is How I Cook October 19, 2016 at 9:35 pm #

This would be a perfect breakfast for me! I’ve made clafoutis before and I love their simplicity and lightness! And right now, apples are where it’s at!

• mj October 25, 2016 at 10:47 am #

Totally agree! We’ve been eating it more for breakfast than as a dessert. 🙂 thanks Abbe!

16. April J Harris October 19, 2016 at 4:20 am #

This looks wonderful, MJ! Clafoutis is always delicious – but your version with the custard sounds even better! I’d love for you to share this recipe with us at Hearth and Soul if you have time. It’s real comfort food.

• mj October 25, 2016 at 10:46 am #

Thanks so much April! “Comfort food” – that’s what my husband said. 🙂

17. Raymund October 19, 2016 at 1:22 am #

I love clafoutis, the milky soft texture with the tangy fruit is such a good combo!

• mj October 25, 2016 at 10:46 am #

I agree! This is the first time I’d ever had it and I know I’ll be making more. 🙂 Thanks!

18. Bam's Kitchen October 18, 2016 at 7:40 pm #

This dessert sounds perfect for this upcoming weekend. Just bought a bag or so of handpicked crisp apples and have everything on your list in my kitchen. How convenient is that! Sharing!

• mj October 18, 2016 at 9:20 pm #

Very convenient I’d say. 🙂 Hope you enjoy! Thanks Bobbi!

19. Shashi at RunninSrilankan October 18, 2016 at 3:20 pm #

MJ, I am so loving your take on a traditional clafouti. I love that you used 2% and also knowing Vanilla Almond Milk worked sure is helpful – delightful dish – perfect end to a meal!

• mj October 18, 2016 at 4:25 pm #

Thanks Shashi! I do work with almond milk quite a bit because sometimes I don’t handle milk products too well. It’s always nice to have an alternative. 🙂

20. Amy (Savory Moments) October 18, 2016 at 1:33 pm #

We have a bushel of apples in the garage needing to be eaten and used up. This dish looks delicious -I’ve never had it before.

• mj October 18, 2016 at 4:24 pm #

Well then it looks like you need to start baking. 🙂 Thanks Amy!

21. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles October 18, 2016 at 12:08 pm #

Gorgeous! The color, the rise, and the clafoutis format (which is more about the fruit than anything else – love that). I will absolutely make your gorgeous dessert MJ and thank you for sharing your experience with almond flour. I might try my usual mix of rice and almond and maybe a little tapioca to smooth things out – I’ve actually come to love the slightly coarser texture of these flours but I know what you mean if it gets too gritty… I’ll share my experiment. Had no idea it was apple month but no excuses needed ;o) What a beauty.

• mj October 18, 2016 at 4:24 pm #

Thanks so much Kelly! I hope you do make it! I think you’ll like it even the GF version. It’s interesting that you mentioned that you have come to love the slightly coarser texture. My GF friend said pretty much the same thing. In fact, she enjoyed it so much that after I ate my piece, she took the rest. 🙂 Look forward to your feedback!

• Kelly @ Inspired Edibles October 25, 2016 at 11:41 am #

I made your apple clafoutis on Sunday MJ – so easy and delicious! I used part milk and part half & half (10% cream), for the flour: 2 Tbsp brown rice flour; 2 Tbsp almond flour and 2 generous Tbsp tapioca flour/starch. we could not discern any grittiness – it was soft and spongy (but not mushy) – just like other clafoutis’ I have known and loved 🙂 thank you so much for the inspiration, it’s a keeper.

• mj October 25, 2016 at 4:34 pm #

WooHoo!!!! SO very glad you enjoyed it! I’ll have to try your GF combination for my GF friend to see if I can get the same results. I’m so glad it was like clafoutis that you’ve had before, since I had never had one before now. 🙂 So now between us we have to apple recipe keepers – this clafoutis and your Autumn Comfort Apple Cake. Thanks Kelly!

22. John/Kitchen Riffs October 18, 2016 at 10:13 am #

Love clafoutis! We’ve made plenty of fruit ones, but never apple for some reason. Great idea! And so seasonal. 🙂 Thanks!

• mj October 18, 2016 at 4:21 pm #

Thanks John! I had never had one before, so we were quite surprised as how good it was.

23. A_Boleyn October 18, 2016 at 9:39 am #

I’ve made berry clafoutis to great disappointment. This apple version sounds tasty.

• mj October 18, 2016 at 4:21 pm #

Thanks Ann! After seeing how easy it was to make, I thought I would give a berry clafoutis a try. Now you have me wondering. 🙂

24. Deb|EastofEdenCooking October 18, 2016 at 8:02 am #

Pass a slice! I have been enjoying the new crop of apples too. A wonderful recipe to savor apple season!

• mj October 18, 2016 at 9:37 am #

Thanks Deb! I have a slice waiting just for you. 🙂

25. Angie@Angie's Recipes October 18, 2016 at 5:53 am #

This reminds me of German apple pancake…now you have me crave some! It looks fantastic, MJ.

• mj October 18, 2016 at 9:37 am #

A German pancake! That’s what I have been trying to think of! They do come out looking like it. Since I’ve never made one, I’m not sure of the taste difference. Guess I need to make one. 🙂 Thanks Angie!

26. Nads October 18, 2016 at 5:48 am #

THIS LOOKS AMAZING!! My mouth is watering looking at the pictures and reading the recipe. The only question I have is, do I wait until the next time I go to the store so I can buy apples or do I try it with the crisp pears that I have? Either way, it is definitely on the menu soon!

• mj October 18, 2016 at 9:36 am #

Thanks Nadalyn!!! Crisp pears would Absolutely work!!!! We’re getting so many great apples this year that I haven’t even thought of pears yet. 🙂