New Mexico Green Chile Quiche with Pinon Crust

Recipe for a Green Chile Quiche with Pinon Crust, two cheeses, and bacon (if you desire) | mjskitchen.com

Have you had enough green chile yet?  What a silly question!!!  For those of you still wondering what to do with all of the green chile you’ve bought or grown, here’s a VERY TASTY idea – Green Chile Quiche with a Pinon (Pine nut) Crust.  Everyone is going to love this quiche, even you men that don’t eat quiche. 🙂

The filling for this green chile quiche consists of roasted New Mexico green chile, cilantro, a little onion and garlic, two types of cheese, and, for the bacon lovers, some crispy pieces of slab bacon.  If you are vegetarian, just leave out the bacon – it’s still good!  The crust is probably the tastiest quiche crust I’ve ever made and has a great texture.  It consists of toasted pinon (pine nuts), flour, water and olive oil.

For a complete meal, just add a few slices of fresh tomato. Hope you enjoy!

Recipe for a Green Chile Quiche with Pinon Crust, two cheeses, and bacon (if you desire) #Hatch #chile #quiche @mjskitchen

Flours – If you don’t have spelt flour, just use all unbleached AP flour. If you are on a gluten-free diet, then use whatever GF flours you normally use for crusts.

Making the crust – Chop the pinon as fine as possible.  After mixing the dry ingredients with the liquid, you might find the dough too dry or too wet. This is determined by the types of flours you use and environmental factors. If the dough is too dry, add water 1 Tbsp. at a time until it forms a texture that can be pressed into the pie pan.  If too wet, add 1 Tbsp. of flour at a time for the right consistency. (NOTE: The pie crust shown in the instructions is from another quiche and does not have the pinon, but you can see how well it pressed into the pie pan.)

Bacon – Cubed slab bacon or crumbled thick cut bacon work best. Crumbled thin bacon gets too soggy during the cooking process.  You can usually get slab bacon at a butcher shop.

Roasted chile – For this green chile quiche I used roasted medium hot chile from The Hatch Chile Store and mild fresh red chile from Sichler Farms.  This combination yielded a spicy, but not “hot” quiche.  You can use any type of roasted chile or even roasted sweet bell peppers for a very mild, sweet quiche.  If your chiles are mild, feel free to add as much as one cup chile.  Just be sure that you drain your roasted chile or peppers.  Too much moisture leads to a watery quiche.

Cilantro – If you have the soap gene, then fresh parsley is a good substitute. You could also use dried Mexican oregano, just reduce the amount to 1 tsp.

A slice of Swiss chard and leek quiche

If you enjoyed this Green Chile Quiche, then you might also enjoy my Swiss Chard and Leek Quiche.

For more chile recipes, check the Index page of Green and Red Chile dishes.

If you are interested in buying some fresh New Mexico’s green and/or red chile, autumn is the time of year to do it.  Check out these New Mexico Suppliers.

Tags: , , , ,

51 Responses to “New Mexico Green Chile Quiche with Pinon Crust”

1. ZazaCook January 25, 2017 at 11:07 am #

Oh oh oh! This quiche is making my mouth water;) Thanks for sharing the recipe.

• mj January 27, 2017 at 11:50 am #

Thanks Zaza! It is a very tasty quiche. 🙂

2. Katerina October 9, 2016 at 9:52 am #

What a perfect quiche! I love the idea of adding pine nuts in the crust and the flavors must have been something else! Pinning!

• mj October 9, 2016 at 12:27 pm #

Thanks Katerina! And thanks for sharing!

3. Tamara October 7, 2016 at 7:34 am #

I’m a huge quiche fan, and I love the combination of flavors here, and the addition of ricotta. What really got my attention, though, is that crust. YUM! I will have to give this a try… I was fortunate enough to get 6 pounds of lovely green chile from the Hatch Chile Store after being so disappointed that our HEB market didn’t supply the RGV this year!

• mj October 8, 2016 at 9:51 pm #

Thank you so much Tamara! That crust did turn out pretty darn good if I do say so myself. 🙂 I roasted my fifth batch of chile today and my freezer is full. YAY!

4. Amy (Savory Moments) October 6, 2016 at 9:33 am #

I love the idea of a pine nut crust – very creative and it sounds delicious!

• mj October 6, 2016 at 11:30 am #

Thanks Amy! Except for the chile, the pine nut crust was the highlight of this quiche. 🙂

5. Easyfoodsmith October 5, 2016 at 3:57 am #

Yum! That looks fabulous and sounds amazzzing!

• mj October 5, 2016 at 8:59 pm #

Thanks so much Darlin!

6. ChgoJohn October 4, 2016 at 7:57 pm #

This is a wonderful quiche, MJ, but I have to admit its crust really grabbed my attention. Pine nuts? This is an idea whose time has come! I have a few pounds of roasted Hatch chile in my freezer just waiting for a purpose. I think I just found one. Thanks, MJ.

• mj October 5, 2016 at 8:59 pm #

Thanks John! The crust really did elevate this quiche to a whole new level. I hope you get a chance to make it.

7. Sandy October 3, 2016 at 9:17 am #

I see in the notes you mention red chile, but in the ingredients no red chile is listed. Can you clarify? This sounds wonderful!

• mj October 3, 2016 at 3:17 pm #

Yes, Sandy. The red chile is actually FRESH roasted red chile, not the dried red. I buy my chile fresh red AND green and roast it myself. After reading through the recipe I understand your confusion and will try to correct it. Thank you for pointing it out. Hope this answers your question. Please let me know if it doesn’t.

8. Zerrin Günaydın October 2, 2016 at 3:29 pm #

Mmmmm that looks delish! Can’t wait to try it!

• mj October 3, 2016 at 3:13 pm #

Hope you enjoy! Thanks!

9. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen October 1, 2016 at 4:48 pm #

This just looks amazing! I love your chile recipes..

• mj October 1, 2016 at 9:14 pm #

Thanks so much Peachy! I know you don’t get NM chile, but hopefully there are some types of chiles you can use for some of these recipes. Hope you and that beautiful family of yours are doing well.

10. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles September 30, 2016 at 5:17 pm #

Oh my goodness MJ, your quiche looks divine… and, lesson learned, no gazing at your favorite food blogs at 4 PM when you haven’t had lunch yet… I want to crawl into my computer right now (or perhaps 3D print the recipe? :d That pine nut crust is a stroke of genius my friend and now that I’ve located hatch chiles, watch out 😮 (I haven’t roasted them yet … I added them to my shrimp recipe raw and they were delightful but I also want to experience the roasted flavor so that’s next). Enjoy the last day of September (eek!) and have a beautiful weekend.

• mj October 1, 2016 at 9:03 pm #

Love your comments as always Ms. Kelly! 🙂 I know what you mean about timing blog surfer correctly. I always surf in the evening AFTER dinner. The problem there is that I want to jump up and make everything for the next day. 🙂

11. Liz September 30, 2016 at 10:26 am #

What a picture perfect quiche. I could seriously eat this for breakfast, lunch and then again for dinner! Pinning this winner!!

• mj October 1, 2016 at 8:55 pm #

Thanks so much Liz! I had the last piece of this one for breakfast the other day. 🙂

12. Adina September 30, 2016 at 12:58 am #

I could eat quiche every week. At least! I love this kind of pie and I have made and eaten so many different ones. And still your quiche brings something new: I will make the pine nuts crust the next time I make any quiche. 🙂

• mj September 30, 2016 at 9:46 am #

I’m with you Adina! I love quiche and I’m so glad my husband does too. 🙂 Thanks!

13. Ala September 29, 2016 at 4:41 pm #

Chile and quiche! That’s just the combo that I wanted to try. I’m definitely bookmarking this one, thanks for sharing 🙂

• mj September 29, 2016 at 7:46 pm #

Thanks so much Ala! Love finding another chile lover!

14. Sissi September 29, 2016 at 2:58 pm #

As you know, I love chile in everything, but I’ve never thought of putting it into a tart/quiche! It’s such a wonderful idea though! The pine nut crust sounds fantastic and bacon…. heavenly! You give me some nasty ideas of surprising my French chile-hating members of family with a surprise quiche one day 😉 Haha! (Those who are afraid of fiery food are always afraid of the first bit of anything I serve anyway!).

• mj September 29, 2016 at 7:34 pm #

You have chile-hating family members?!?!! Oh, I can’t imagine. How on earth do you cook for them. 🙂 As far as chile in a quiche, since I put it in scrambled eggs all of the time, why not a quiche? Bobby was a little cautious at first but after the first bite, all caution was thrown to the wind. 🙂 Of course you have to know that while I was making this I thought “I wonder what type of chile(ie) Sissi would use in this?” Thanks Darlin!

• Sissi October 1, 2016 at 3:37 pm #

Luckily some members of my family love chile, so when I often cook for them we are usually half chile lovers and half haters 🙂 I cook two versions of the same dish. (Among my French friends there are also some serious chile lovers).
        It’s so kind of you to think about me AND to tell me this…. It warms my heart.

• mj October 1, 2016 at 9:13 pm #

To make two versions of the same dish shows how much you love your family!!! Hey, how can I not think of my chile lover sister when I’m working with chile. 🙂

15. Evelyne CulturEatz September 28, 2016 at 1:28 pm #

this is a wonderful far cry from a ho-hum quiche! Full of flavors, a little chile quikc, and wow what a great idea for the crust. Pine nuts sre so amazing.

• mj September 29, 2016 at 7:21 pm #

Thanks Evelyn! That crust holds up really well if you have leftovers. The crust stays crispy, doesn’t get soggy.

16. Bam's Kitchen September 28, 2016 at 8:49 am #

My boys are already on me to make this delicious green chili quiche for breakfast this weekend. Roasted hatch chilis, bacon and eggs, what is not to love!!

• mj September 29, 2016 at 7:21 pm #

Well, then you should make it. 🙂 Thanks Bobbi!

17. Yi @ YiReservation September 27, 2016 at 2:58 pm #

If there is one quiche recipe I want to try it’d have to be this one! I haven’t had a green chile quiche but it looks packed with heat and flavor! Thanks for sharing!

• mj September 27, 2016 at 8:34 pm #

Well, that’s a nice things to say. Thanks!!!

18. Debra Eliotseats September 27, 2016 at 10:09 am #

Amazing, amazing, amazing….that pinon crust is genius. I will make this later this winter with some of the green chiles I have frozen already.

• mj September 27, 2016 at 8:33 pm #

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Hope you enjoy!

19. susan | the wimpy vegetarian September 27, 2016 at 9:46 am #

This looks so incredibly good, MJ. I love how this crust sounds too – I might make it this week. I love having quiche and a salad for dinner!

• mj September 27, 2016 at 8:33 pm #

Thanks so much Susan! I hope you do get a chance to make it. I love quiche and salad for dinner as well. Of course with all of the fresh tomatoes we have right now, our salads are slices of tomatoes with a touch of sea salt. 🙂

20. A_Boleyn September 27, 2016 at 9:39 am #

I’ve never been much interested in the exploring the fresh chile options locally … I pick up jalapenos occasionally to put in corn bread. Sometimes they’re hot and sometimes really mild. I’ve never used them in quiche but I bet they’d be tasty.

And I love pine nuts but usually for pesto and added to brown butter sauces to dress pasta. They sound like a great addition to pie crusts though I’d be tempted to use them for sweet tarts. I once made pine nut brittle too. Amazing.

• mj September 27, 2016 at 8:30 pm #

I’ve had pine nut brittle before and yes, it is amazing! Adding pinon to the crust for sweet tarts sounds like a great idea. I’ll have to remember that! Thanks for the comments!

21. Crista Vesel September 27, 2016 at 9:19 am #

Thanks for a recipe that I can alter for our Primal diet! I will use a nut flour in the crust, as Ivan and I don’t eat grains. It sounds like a great recipe to play around with different cheeses, for fun flavors.

• mj September 27, 2016 at 8:28 pm #

Thanks Crista! Oh yes, this crust can easily be made with GF flours and as with all quiches, mixing up cheeses it always fun. 🙂 How are things in your new home!

22. Deb|EastofEdenCooking September 27, 2016 at 8:39 am #

I’ve frozen some roasted Hatch chilies for a special recipe. The vibrant quiche with a pine nut crust would be a fantastic way to enjoy my stash!

• mj September 27, 2016 at 8:27 pm #

I totally agree!! Thanks Darlin!

23. John/Kitchen Riffs September 27, 2016 at 8:06 am #

The crust looks spectacular. Heck, the whole dish looks spectacular! Never had Hatch chilies in quiche. In fact it’s been ages since I’ve made quiche, and now you have me craving it! Really good dish — I’ll bet the flavor of this is wonderful. Thanks!

• mj September 27, 2016 at 8:26 pm #

Thanks so very much John! This is definitely a very wonderful tasting quiche. Hope you get to make it!

24. Angie@Angie's Recipes September 27, 2016 at 7:39 am #

I love that you added pine nuts in the crust…and green chile quiche is something I have always wanted to try..this looks simply marvelous!

• mj September 27, 2016 at 8:21 pm #

Thanks so much Angie! The pine nuts really created a very tasty crust. I’ll be trying that again on other quiche.

1. Southwest Travel Roundup, Cookies, Quiche, and Cowboys - Melodie K - September 30, 2016

[…] Green Chile Quiche Piñon Crust (MJ’s Kitchen) […]