Quick & Easy Spiced Apple Breakfast

Spiced Apple Breakfast is a quick & easy breakfast of stewed apples, granola, and creme fraiche | mjskitchen.com

When it’s cold outside, I need to be warm on the inside.  That’s why, during the winter months, cold cereal stays in the pantry and hot dishes like eggs, grits and steel cut oats become our main stay breakfasts.  This winter this Spiced Apple Breakfast has been added to our repertoire – stewed, spiced apples with granola and crème fraîche.  It is so easy to make and takes no time at all.  The hot spiced apples, with the crunchy granola and creamy crème fraîche yield an enjoyable breakfast that is so warm and satisfying.  And if you really want to spice things up, add some of those bourbon infused cranberries from that old-fashioned you made last night. 🙂

Spiced Apple Breakfast is a quick & easy breakfast of stewed apples, granola, and creme fraiche #breakfast #apples @mjskitchen

Spiced Apple Breakfast is a quick & easy breakfast of stewed apples, granola, and creme fraiche  | mjskitchen.com

Spices – The amounts listed here are quite pleasing to us.  However, you can easily adjust the amounts based on your liking.  I love nutmeg, so that’s might be a bit too much nutmeg for some people.  The combination of these three spices is quite complementary for this dish.

Crème fraîche – Honestly, there is no substitution for crème fraîche.  However, if you don’t want the dairy, substitute with your favorite yogurt. Just avoid using a fruity, sweet yogurt because the fruit is sweet enough to provide the sweetness you’ll need.

Cranberries – If you do use the bourbon infused cranberries (which I highly recommend), add them once the apples are cooked and you remove the cover to thicken the juice.  They are already re-hydrated, so they don’t need to re-hydrate with the stewing process.

If you like this Spiced Apple Breakfast and want something similar, but cold, then you might want to check out this Persimmon Cranberry Parfait.  It’s just as easy to make, easier actually, and quite delicious.

Tags: , , ,

49 Responses to “Quick & Easy Spiced Apple Breakfast”

1. Zsuzsa February 14, 2016 at 11:15 am #

Peach Lady what a great idea!

• mj February 15, 2016 at 4:49 pm #

Thanks Darlin!

2. Abbe @ This is How I Cook February 1, 2016 at 8:15 pm #

This inspires me to eat breakfast! I am so bad at that!

• mj February 4, 2016 at 7:19 pm #

I have to admit that my breakfast usually comes around 10 a.m., then I skip lunch and go straight into dinner, so I guess one would call this brunch. 🙂

3. Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina January 31, 2016 at 12:03 pm #

What a wonderful way to wake up and start the day MJ! I’m sure it has a wonderful aroma too! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

• mj February 4, 2016 at 7:18 pm #

Thanks so much Roz!

4. Katerina January 28, 2016 at 2:04 am #

This is the best way to start your day! A good breakfast is so important! Pinned!

• mj February 4, 2016 at 7:17 pm #

Thanks Katerina and thanks for pinning!

5. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles January 27, 2016 at 7:24 pm #

Hello MJ! Happy to see this delicious looking shake-up on our well-loved oatmeal for breakfast 🙂 so subtle and beautiful (the humble dollop of crème fraîche is my favorite). I absolutely crave warmth (and softness) in the winter and this would be such a welcome change to our usual morning routine. I think my boys would love it too. Hot spiced apples FTW :D.

• mj February 4, 2016 at 7:17 pm #

Thanks so much Kelly! Winter is always hard for me because cereal and smoothies are out – just too cold! So finding enough warm dishes for breakfast can be challenging.

6. Raymund January 27, 2016 at 11:52 am #

What a nice fruity and healthy way to start a day.

• mj February 4, 2016 at 7:15 pm #

Thanks Raymund!

7. Biz January 26, 2016 at 8:52 am #

I’ve actually never thought to buy Crème fraîche – can you buy it by the dairy section? I’ll probably sub in plain Chobani, but this screams me. Thanks for the idea! 😀

• mj January 26, 2016 at 11:11 am #

Thanks so much Biz! Actually, nowadays you usually find Crème fraîche in the cheese section. It use to be in dairy with the sour cream, but all the stores I frequently now have it with the cheese. Go figure.

8. wok with ray January 25, 2016 at 8:01 pm #

That is one lovely and flavorful breakfast. I’m a little intrigued with the bourbon but now I’m curious. Stay warm and I hope you are having a lovely week, MJ. 🙂

• mj January 26, 2016 at 11:09 am #

Those bourbon cranberries are quite intriguing. 🙂 Thanks my friend!

9. swathi January 25, 2016 at 5:57 pm #

This is delicious MJ hard to resist, thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop, pinning and tweeting.

• mj January 26, 2016 at 11:08 am #

Thanks Swathi and thanks for the sharing!!!

10. Adina January 25, 2016 at 11:24 am #

Lovely breakfast. I am lately looking for new and healthier breakfast idea, so that I won’t be tempted to eat so much bread early in the morning.

• mj January 26, 2016 at 11:08 am #

I know what you mean. There are so many breakfasts that consists of bread products. I love pancakes, but … 🙂 Thanks Adina!

11. Gourmet Getaways January 24, 2016 at 10:16 pm #

I don’t usually eat breakfast but if this was put in front of me I would be all over it!! How delicious and healthy looking.
    Thanks for sharing
    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

• mj January 26, 2016 at 11:07 am #

Thanks so much Julie!

12. Hotly Spiced January 23, 2016 at 12:09 am #

This would be very warming and a lovely start to the day. I love stewed apples and the addition of cranberries is wonderful. I’ve heard you’re in for a lot of snow! xx

• mj January 24, 2016 at 12:33 pm #

Thanks Charlie! The mountains are getting quite a bit of snow this year which is just what we need. Thank goodness it’s staying mostly in the mountains.

13. Viviane Bauquet Farre January 22, 2016 at 1:50 pm #

Looks so comforting, MJ! A great way to start the day — bourbon-soaked cherries or non 🙂

• mj January 24, 2016 at 12:32 pm #

Thanks so much Vivianne!

14. Easyfoodsmith January 21, 2016 at 10:56 pm #

We usually eat stuffed flat breads with butter, pickle and chai or Idlis (steamed rice cakes) with hot soupy lentils. It is basically something savory however I see myself treating myself to this spiced apple breakfast coz it sounds so good! 😀

• mj January 24, 2016 at 12:32 pm #

I’ve always aspired to make your stuffed flatbreads for breakfast, but too much for in the morning. 🙂 Your breakfasts are totally different than those here in the states and all sound fabulous! Thanks Darlin!

15. Deb|EastofEdenCooking January 21, 2016 at 6:42 pm #

Oh yes! A feast of flavor for breakfast makes a cold winter day so much nicer.

• mj January 21, 2016 at 8:12 pm #

Yes it does! Thanks Deb!

16. Debra Eliotseats January 20, 2016 at 10:33 am #

You had me at bourbon infused cranberries. Checking that out now!

• mj January 21, 2016 at 8:12 pm #

Thanks Debra!

17. Nads January 20, 2016 at 10:11 am #

I can’t help but laugh. You know how I love stewed fruit! Did you make this just for me?! And using the bourbon cranberries, I can imagine, would send this over the top. I bet it would be a great dessert too.

• mj January 21, 2016 at 8:12 pm #

Yes, I know you love stewed fruit! You taught me the fruit compote thing with whatever you in the fridge and I thank you for that! 🙂 You know…it would make a GREAT dessert!! Thanks for the idea!

18. Angie@Angie's Recipes January 19, 2016 at 10:05 pm #

Just done with the workout, and I am so ready for the 2nd breakfast!! This is so delicious and satisfying, MJ.

• mj January 21, 2016 at 8:11 pm #

Perfect! Not too heavy on the carbs, and oh so good! Thanks Angie!

19. Chgojohn January 19, 2016 at 7:45 pm #

I’m not the breakfast type, MJ, normally settling for a piece of fruit of some kind. This time of year, its either apples or oranges. Considering that I just bought a half dozen apples, all I need now is some crème fraîche. I do think it too late to soak the cranberries, though. I guess I’ll just have to drink the bourbon. Darn! 😉

• mj January 21, 2016 at 8:10 pm #

Well, here are your apples, just fancied up a bit. 🙂 They are so good with those drunken cranraisins. 🙂 Thanks!

20. John/Kitchen Riffs January 19, 2016 at 2:37 pm #

Cold here! Snowing too. Hot oats for breakfast this morning. Tomorrow I should have this. 🙂 Really delightful combo of flavors — such a nice recipe. Thanks!

• mj January 21, 2016 at 8:09 pm #

Yep…from what I’m seeing, it’s freezing up there!!! Thanks so much John!

21. Anna @ shenANNAgans January 19, 2016 at 1:25 pm #

YES! 🙂 This is soooooooo featuring in my weekend brekkie schedule, its gorgeous. I was just saying to my mom last night that we should get apples again, we used to always have them in the house, so this recipe will be super special me thinks. Thanks for the inspo. 🙂

• mj January 21, 2016 at 8:08 pm #

You are most welcome and thank you! I hope you and your mom enjoy them!

22. April J Harris January 19, 2016 at 11:15 am #

This sounds fantastic, MJ – lots of flavour and a bit of crunch! Love the idea of adding the cranberries. If you have time, please do pop by and share this lovely breakfast with us at Hearth and Soul 🙂

• mj January 21, 2016 at 8:07 pm #

Thanks April! I did add it to the Hearth & Soul Hop!

• April J Harris January 25, 2016 at 8:39 am #

Thank you, MJ! Have a lovely week!

• April J Harris January 26, 2016 at 8:45 am #

Just to let you know, I’ve featured this post at Hearth and Soul this week, MJ 🙂

• mj January 26, 2016 at 11:09 am #

Well thank you so much April!

23. Sissi January 19, 2016 at 11:13 am #

Normally I cannot eat anything sweet/-ish for breakfast, but you’ve got me at cranberries soaked in bourbon! Their presence would be one of the rare things to change my mind! It sounds like a perfect start of a cold winter day: delicious, filling and so warming, I bet 😉

• mj January 21, 2016 at 8:07 pm #

Thanks so much Sissi! It’s perfect to warm up a cold morning and as my sister pointed out, it also makes a nice dessert.