Green Chile Chicken Posole’

Green Chile Chicken Posole' is genuine comfort food. #green #chile #posole' @mjskitchen mjskitchen.com

Posole’ is a traditional New Mexico dish during the holidays and one of our traditional dishes for Christmas Eve.  Our Christmas Eve version is usually made with pork and red chile.  But when we woke up to snow and cold last weekend, I had an early craving for posole’ and threw together this Green Chile Chicken Posole’.  It’s a very easy dish to make and nothing better for taking the chill off and clearing up that stuffy nose.  One might say it’s New Mexico’s version of chicken noodle soup.

If you aren’t familiar with posole’, you can learn more about it by reading “What is posole’?”  My green chile chicken posole’ is made with frozen fresh posole’ (nixtamalized corn) which takes about an hour to cook.  Chicken thighs are cooked with the posole’ during the first 30 minutes, providing a chicken stock.  The meat is removed from the thigh bones and added back into the posole’ along with the green chile and seasoning.  The prep and cook time is less than 1.5 hours.  If you want to bring the prep and cook time down to about 30 minutes, you can use canned hominy (rather than posole’), and leftover chicken.  See the Kitchen Notes for more information.

No matter whether you use posole’ or hominy, this is a delicious stew.  It has the unique flavor and spiciness of New Mexico’s green chile, complementing the texture and flavor of one of my favorite corn products – posole’.  To make it more of a Christmas posole’ (red and green), I tossed in a little roasted red chile.

Green Chile Chicken Posole' is genuine comfort food. #green #chile #posole' @mjskitchen | mjskitchen.com

Posole’ – You can use fresh, frozen or dried posole’.  The fresh (unfrozen) and frozen take about the same amount of time to cook.  Dried posole’ should be soaked overnight, then drained.  However, even after soaking it still takes a couple of hours to cook.

Decreasing prep & cook times: If you use canned hominy and cooked chicken, use chicken stock instead of water.  Place all of the ingredients in a soup pot and simmer for 30 minutes. To add a little bit more flavor, you could first saute’ your onion and garlic in about 1 tablespoon bacon drippings or oil for 5 minutes, then add the rest of the ingredients.  This method decreases the total time considerably; however, I would recommend making it a day in advance to give the ingredients times to meld, improving the flavor of the dish.

The chile – Mild, medium or hot is totally up to you and dependent on the spiciness of the chile.  The late harvest medium green that I bought this year was quite hot and so was the red that I used; therefore, I balanced it out with some mild.  Know your chile and season accordingly. 🙂

And for those who can’t handle spicy…Use all mild chiles.  If you don’t have New Mexico green, you can substitute with poblano chile.  To make a beautiful Christmas bowl, mix in some roasted red bell peppers.  Granted, the flavor will be different with different peppers, but you would still have one delicious bowl of posole’.

If you enjoy posole’ and have enjoyed this Green Chile Chicken Posole’, you might want to check out these non-traditional posole’ dishes.

Posole’ with Italian Sausage and Kale

Chorizo, Mushroom and Posole’

Tags: , , , , ,

45 Responses to “Green Chile Chicken Posole’”

1. The Duo Dishes January 4, 2016 at 7:08 pm #

I had no idea posole was the name of the corn in the dish. I always thought it was just the name of the dish itself. Learning something new all the time!

• mj January 5, 2016 at 9:02 pm #

Thanks! Yes, here in New Mexico “posole” is both the dish and the name of the processed corn. It’s kind of confusing isn’t it? 🙂

2. Bam's Kitchen December 23, 2015 at 5:37 am #

MJ, this green chili chicken posole looks so comforting and perfectly spicy. A great way to warm up on a cool evening. Wishing you and your family a very safe and happy holiday season.

• mj December 24, 2015 at 11:10 am #

Thanks so much Bobbi! Wishing a wonderful holiday for you and your family as well!

3. Chgojohn December 22, 2015 at 7:19 am #

The weather this month has been so strange around here and it was interesting to read of your snow when we here in the city have seen very little of the white stuff. I must say, though, that your posole does sound like a good antidote for foul weather. I need to do some investigating. I’ve not seen posole in any of the shops I frequent but, then again, it’s no like I was looking for it. When I find it, I’ll be back! 🙂

• mj December 22, 2015 at 8:55 pm #

Thanks so much John! I hope you can find posole’, but if you can’t…hominy works.
      I know it’s weird…I think the southwest and west are getting more snow that the northeast this year. But winter has just begun, so we’ll see. 🙂

4. April J Harris December 21, 2015 at 2:03 pm #

I was so interested to read about Psole, MJ! I’ve never eaten it but it sure does look comforting, wholesome and nutritious too! Shared. Thank you for bringing this traditional dish to the Hearth and Soul Hop.

• mj December 22, 2015 at 8:53 pm #

Thanks so much April! Yes, posole’ is all of those things. 🙂 Happy Holidays!

5. Hotly Spiced December 21, 2015 at 1:11 pm #

This looks like a great comfort stew with lots of flavour. I haven’t heard of this dish before so didn’t know it’s served around Christmas. When the snow is falling all around you, this does look like a wonderful dish to have on the stove xx

• mj December 22, 2015 at 8:47 pm #

Thanks so much Charlie! Yes, it is a great comfort stew!
      Happy Holidays!

6. Debra December 21, 2015 at 11:38 am #

Just whipped up your red and green chile seasonings for some last minute gifts (with a bit of the spices left over for us to use later). I am craving this dish!

Happy holidays, M.J.!

• mj December 22, 2015 at 8:44 pm #

How exciting! Hope your friends enjoy them!
      Happy Holidays to you Debra! See you in 2016!

7. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz December 21, 2015 at 10:47 am #

I know of posole but I had no idea it was a holiday dish in your parts. It looks so good and I wish I could eat some now. W are still waiting for snow here up north. Merry Christmas and a Happy New year … and new name coming soon L-)

• mj December 22, 2015 at 8:43 pm #

Thanks Evelyne! Yep, posole’ is BIG here! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, too!

8. Katerina December 21, 2015 at 1:33 am #

Your posole looks delicious! I have heard of this dish before and indeed looks very warm and filling. MJ You have won one signed copy of Delicate Dreams at my giveaway! Congratulations! Please contact me with your mail details so we can mail you the book! Happy Christmas!

• mj December 22, 2015 at 8:41 pm #

Thanks so much Katerina!!!! I send you an email with my info.
      Wishing you a Merry Christmas as well!

9. Zsuzsa December 20, 2015 at 9:53 am #

This would be totally good for us here in Canada. The white stuff fell two days ago and its not going anywhere. I think it’s here to say for sometime. Those Syrian refugees we are getting every day must be wondering about the Free White North! Peach Lady we should welcome them with a nice bowl of your New Mexico posole. 🙂

• mj December 20, 2015 at 2:02 pm #

Thanks so much Zsuzsa and I love your comment “we should welcome them…” That would be nice wouldn’t it. I bet they are freaking out with the cold and snow, but I’m sure they aren’t complaining because now they are safe. Good for Canada!!!

10. Judy @Savoring Today December 18, 2015 at 6:57 am #

Tummy warming, soul soothing comfort food is what this is. Green chilies are always a ‘yes’ for us. We’ve had gobs of snow already this season, the ski resorts are ecstatic, the town folk not so much. Make a pot of posole and it’s all good. 😉

• mj December 20, 2015 at 2:01 pm #

I bet the mountains are gorgeous with all of that snow!!! I love your area in the winter! Because ABQ is on the west side of the mountains, we get the beautiful snow covered views for about a day after it snows, then it all melts. But the sky resorts love it. 🙂 Thanks for your comments and I hope that you and your family have a wonderful holiday season!

11. Ramona W December 18, 2015 at 5:10 am #

Looks like a yummy bowl of comfort to me! I have been battling a horrible virus this past week and soup is all I can think about…. spicy and hearty soups like this! Hope you are having a wonderful holiday season MJ! 🙂

• mj December 20, 2015 at 1:59 pm #

Oh goodness, Ramona! So sorry that you’re ill. Sounds like you’re taking care of yourself with spicy and healthy soups. Hope you get well soon Darlin and that you and your family have a wonderful and healthy holiday!

12. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles December 17, 2015 at 9:53 am #

Snow? Oh My. How exciting! (I think we are on the verge here…frost all week). One of my favorite things about this time of year in the blogging world is learning about how other people celebrate the holidays including their memories and food traditions and this bountiful bowl looks like the essence of comfort and deliciousness. I understand the cravings. Ah yes, the stew/corn conundrum, thank you for the reminder of how posole is interpreted in NM. You always have the greatest explicatory notes MJ – I find myself returning time and again to your segment on chile/chili 🙂 Happy Holidays Friend ~ enjoy it to the fullest. x

• mj December 20, 2015 at 1:57 pm #

Yes, snow…It’s suppose to be a good El Nino here as well. Like you guys, we need the moisture so we’ll take it in any form. Holiday traditions are fun to read about it. There are so many and all so meaningful to family. When we moved here back in the 70’s we had completely different holiday traditions. It didn’t take us long to change and move toward the New Mexico traditions we love and that are now part of us. 🙂 Are you going to create new ones this year or stick with your Canadian ones? Thanks so much for your continue support Kelly and I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday as well!

13. Nads December 17, 2015 at 6:18 am #

You might remember that JT and I are the posole lovers in this house and when he comes for Christmas he looks forward to a big pot of your posole. I already bought the hominy and have the pork and pork broth in the freezer. I usually make your posole with the mushrooms and greens, but this looks really good and I love green chile’s. The others here aren’t as big green chile fans as I am. Chicken and green chile sounds delish so I’ll have to make it when it’s just Jim and I. You can bank on it that I will be making this some time this winter.

• mj December 20, 2015 at 1:52 pm #

Yes, I do remember.:) I love it that you make it for JT when he comes home. Too bad you have so many different palates to please. I don’t envy you. 🙂 I made the kale posole back in October, so I went for something different this time. Well, I know JT is there and the holiday festivities have begun. We’ll talk soon. XOXOXO

14. Adina December 17, 2015 at 2:56 am #

This looks really comforting and tasty, I wish I had the possibility to buy posole around here.

• mj December 20, 2015 at 1:48 pm #

Thanks Adina! Can you find canned hominy. It would worked.

15. Dale Green December 16, 2015 at 6:11 pm #

What a nice and reasonable posole recipe. I like it. One could make it and not have posole coming out one’s ears for weeks! Thanks!

• mj December 16, 2015 at 8:01 pm #

Thanks so much Dale! This recipe gave me and Bobby 2 meals or 4 bowls, so no…you don’t have posole’ that will last from now to New Years. 🙂

16. Amy December 16, 2015 at 3:09 pm #

This new to me, it looks like a wonderful, heart warming soup.

• mj December 16, 2015 at 8:00 pm #

It is a heart warming soup. Thanks for stopping by!

17. Vicki Bensinger December 16, 2015 at 2:54 pm #

I went to get a carryout for lunch today and they had a chicken posole soup. I’d never tried it before so asked for a taste and picked up a quart to take home. It’s delicious! I thought after eating it that I needed to find a recipe for this and here it is! Go figure!

• mj December 16, 2015 at 7:59 pm #

Go figure is right! Must be a sign. You must make this. 🙂 Thanks!

18. Karen (Back Road Journal) December 16, 2015 at 9:24 am #

I do like posole but I’ll have to use hominy. Thank goodness it is easier to find in Florida than it was in New Hampshire.

• mj December 16, 2015 at 11:31 am #

Thanks so much Karen! I bet hominy was hard to find in New Hampshire. Probably like me trying to find grits here in New Mexico back in the 70’s. 🙂

19. Raymund December 16, 2015 at 12:49 am #

What a coincidence I made the rojo version of this yesterday, though I cant find hominy from where I am I used a type of corn which is nearly similar, sticky and chewy

• mj December 16, 2015 at 11:28 am #

Interesting. I need to check yours out! Are you going to be posting it? Very interested in the corn you use.

20. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef December 16, 2015 at 12:14 am #

The only time I’ve ever eaten something like this was when I visited the Southwest. I loved it but good grief it was hot. It was a melt your lips off dish but full of flavor.

• mj December 16, 2015 at 11:26 am #

Thanks Maureen! YES, it can be hot depending on the chile you use. I buy medium and mild. One year I bought only hot and it did burn my lips off, but back then I was young and could handle it. Can’t handle that really hot stuff anymore. 🙂

21. John/Kitchen Riffs December 15, 2015 at 7:08 pm #

Oh, yum! I love posole’! Such nice comfort food. I usually make mine with green chilies, so this is perfect for me. Excellent recipe — thanks.

• mj December 16, 2015 at 11:25 am #

It is comfort food, isnt’ it? 🙂 Posole’ has so many possibilities, something I think we restrict ourselves to too few options. But it is hard to beat the traditional recipes with either green chile or red chile. 🙂 Thanks John!

22. Angie@Angie's Recipes December 15, 2015 at 11:25 am #

This is new to me…but again, I love any kind of chili, so I definitely will love this too.

• mj December 16, 2015 at 11:24 am #

Thanks Angie! It’s a tasty dish!

1. Green Chile Chicken Posole' (Hominy) - Yum Goggle - December 18, 2015