Apple Pecan Buttermilk Pancakes

Fluffy apple buttermilk pancakes with apples, pecans and a touch of cardamom | mjskitchen.com

For the past year, whenever I made pancakes I would make my Cornmeal Ricotta Pancakes or these Raspberry Oatmeal Yogurt Pancakes by my friend over at Inspired Edibles.  Both have been our favorite pancakes for quite a while, but now they have some serious competition – Apple Buttermilk Pancakes.

With this year’s plentiful and delicious fall apples, I’ve been making these Apple Buttermilk Pancakes with Pecans.  They are so moist, and can be sweet or a little tart depending on the type of apples used.  The pecans add a bit of a crunch, and if you toast them first, you get a little extra flavor that complements the apples quite well.  Top the pancakes with warm maple syrup for a delicious weekend brunch.

Fall apples from northern New Mexico | mjskitchen.com

Fluffy apple buttermilk pancakes with apples, pecans and a touch of cardamom #pancakes #apple #recipe @mjskitchen

Flours – I like using a mix of flours, but if you don’t have spelt flour, you could substitute with whole wheat, rice flour, or just use 1 cup of unbleached flour.

Pecans – Toasted pecans is always my preference, but I have made these without toasting the pecans and still had excellent results, just a little difference in flavor.  If you don’t have pecans, then substitute with walnuts.  However, I would not toast the walnuts because toasted walnuts to be overpowering.

Apple – Use whatever apple you have available.  Crispy apples stay rather firm during the cooking process, while softer apples become even softer.  I really like a crispy, tart apple like a honey crisp or McIntosh.

Buttermilk and milk – You could use all buttermilk or substitute some of the buttermilk with regular milk.  If you use all milk, your batter will be a little thinner, but it would still work.

Speaking of the batter, this is a relatively thick batter, but then we like thick, fluffy pancakes with lots of texture.  If you prefer your pancakes thinner, then increase the liquid by 1/4 cup.

Stovetop griddles – If you haven’t invested in a stovetop griddle yet, then it’s time.  Even for just the two of us, it makes things like pancakes, French toast, patties, and tortillas so much easier.  I can’t remember when I didn’t have one and I don’t know what I would do without it.

As we all know, breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  These apple buttermilk pancakes with pecans will also make it the most enjoyable meal of the day.  Happy eating!

Tags: , ,

45 Responses to “Apple Pecan Buttermilk Pancakes”

1. Liz November 3, 2015 at 8:55 am #

What a marvelous breakfast treat! Though perfect for autumn, I could eat a stack any time of the year

2. Anna @ shenANNAgans October 27, 2015 at 11:04 pm #

I have been dreaming of pancakes this past few weeks, my new diet limits what I can have, will try this recipe with almond meal or coconut flour. Loving the hints of cardamom and apple, its nice to see pancakes not loaded up with sauces and cream and fruit and stuff. Cant wait to try!!!

• mj October 28, 2015 at 8:26 pm #

Thanks Anna! Hope you give them a try. They are really good. 🙂

3. All That I'm Eating October 27, 2015 at 12:05 pm #

Really like the sound of these, a great weekend breakfast or brunch idea.

• mj October 27, 2015 at 8:57 pm #

Thanks! It’s certainly our weekend brunch quite often. 🙂

4. Ramona W October 27, 2015 at 8:17 am #

I love the mix of apples and pecan! Pecans are definitely one of my favorite nuts around. 🙂

• mj October 27, 2015 at 8:57 pm #

Thanks Ramona! Yep – can’t get enough pecans. 🙂

5. Bam's Kitchen October 27, 2015 at 2:38 am #

I have just browsed over the recipe three times and there is not one chili to be found… lol I would love to be served this in bed on a lazy Sunday morning with a hot cup of coffee. What a grand way to celebrate the apple season. Just pinned!

• mj October 27, 2015 at 8:56 pm #

Ha ha – No you will not find chile in my pancakes. 🙂 Yes, this is a great breakfast in bed meal. Wouldn’t that be nice to have someone bring you breakfast in bed? It’s been a while.

6. Sissi October 25, 2015 at 11:11 am #

I have never had pancakes but your luscious-looking apple version reminds me of something similar to US pancakes made in Poland: it’s raised with baking powder and made with apples… I must post them one day (and make more often!).

• mj October 25, 2015 at 11:47 am #

You’ve never had pancakes?! That would be unheard of here in the states. 🙂 We have restaurants that just sell pancakes! 🙂 Maybe these will inspire you to give pancakes a try. Thanks Sissi!

• Sissi October 31, 2015 at 12:47 pm #

I mean I did have Polish or Hungarian or French crêpes (all of them are a bit different and definitely different from pancakes, but I guess you also know crêpes…), but never US pancakes (I knew you would be surprised! haha! that’s why I mentioned it). I must try making them one day.

• mj November 1, 2015 at 6:27 pm #

Yes you must! 🙂

7. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles October 25, 2015 at 9:41 am #

You’re not kidding about the serious competition! What a lovely surprise to discover Inspired Edibles over here this morning MJ, thank you my friend.

Apple and pecan share one of those sacred relationships that can only be admired and adored ;p but I’m equally compelled by your choice of cardamom here. I use the Indian spice mostly in mango lassis – it has such a distinctive and gorgeous flavor — one that you don’t want to cloud with others you may be tempted to use in tandem with it like cinnamon, clove or nutmeg. I love how you allow it to shine here and I’ve got to try it in pancakes; what a great idea. Beautiful recipe MJ.

• mj October 25, 2015 at 11:45 am #

I know…no chile, right? 🙂 Honestly, I have lost count of the number of times I’ve made your pancakes. We both love them and the addition of the oatmeal makes them different from the other pancakes. So know we have 3 completely different pancakes to enjoy. 🙂 And yes, cardamom really comes through here and is a fabulous complement! Thanks and hope you’re having a wonderful weekend!

8. Carol at Wild Goose Mama October 24, 2015 at 8:22 pm #

I’m in love with pancakes anyway. So the title of these really pulled me in, BUT when I saw cardamom in the ingredient list I swooned. That’s my new favorite spice the past year. I never thought to use it in pancakes. Guess what I am having tomorrow morning!!! I have an apple tree in the back garden and pecans in the pantry. YES!

• mj October 25, 2015 at 11:44 am #

Thanks Carol! I’m a fellow cardamom lover! I hope you had a chance to make these and enjoyed them.

9. Deb|EastofEdenCooking October 23, 2015 at 3:23 pm #

Your apple photo is so enticing! And the pancakes would make for a perfect Sunday morning breakfast. So very fall and scrumptious!

• mj October 23, 2015 at 4:09 pm #

Thanks Deb! These do make a great Sunday morning brunch. 🙂

10. Fareeha October 23, 2015 at 1:23 pm #

Hi, Wow! I’m thinking that you really should do a video tutorial, your pancake is amazing. Would love to be your neighbor.

• mj October 23, 2015 at 4:09 pm #

Thanks so much Fareeha!

11. Nami | Just One Cookbook October 23, 2015 at 12:14 am #

It’s been a while since last time I had good pancakes. Your photos of apple pecan buttermilk pancakes are soooo inviting! I’m interested in mixing flours like you suggested, as I haven’t done it before. And we got stovetop griddle for the new range and I agree. I LOVE IT. I think making pancakes will be a lot more fun now with the griddle. 😀 He hee. p.s. Miss coming here and actually leaving a comment. Hope you’ve been well, MJ. xoxo

• mj October 23, 2015 at 4:08 pm #

Thanks so much Nami! How the heck are you!? I know you’ve been really busy with kitchen remodel and just keeping up with life. It’s good to see you back. Don’t you just love your griddle? I don’t know how anyone can make pancakes without one. Good to see you and hope you’re doing well.

12. Viviane Bauquet Farre October 22, 2015 at 11:47 pm #

Could be more perfect, MJ. My mouth is watering just looking at that gorgeous first photo! And the idea of using slightly tart apples makes this all the more appealing.

• mj October 23, 2015 at 4:06 pm #

Thanks so much Viviane! I love the tart apples as well. 🙂

13. John/Kitchen Riffs October 22, 2015 at 6:18 pm #

Love the picture of the apples! Love this, too — such a nice recipe for pancakes. I like to mix flours, too. I actually use an electric griddle (nonstick, to boot!). Bulky to store, but it does a terrific job with pancakes. Or making tortillas. BTW, just a heads up — probably just me, but I didn’t get an email notification for this post for some reason. Anyway, good stuff — thanks.

• mj October 22, 2015 at 7:22 pm #

Thanks John! A griddle is a must isn’t it. Thanks for letting me know on the email notification. I’m having some problems and have been trying different things. This week’s didn’t work obviously. 🙂

14. Katerina October 21, 2015 at 11:51 pm #

These pancakes are the best way to start your day! I could use yogurt instead of buttermilk I guess!

• mj October 22, 2015 at 7:21 pm #

Thanks Katerina! And yes, yogurt would work as well but I would probably only use 1/2 cup yogurt and the rest in milk. Otherwise, it could make the batter really, really thick.

15. Abbe @ This is How I Cook October 21, 2015 at 4:25 pm #

I want to come to your house for breakfast. These look amazing!

• mj October 22, 2015 at 7:20 pm #

Come on down Abbe! Thanks!

16. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz October 21, 2015 at 11:16 am #

Ummm, so what time should I arrive for breakfast this morning? They are gorgeous, so seasonal, and love love pecans! I would have to try in comparison side by side with the others mentioned to judge, just saying 😉 So 8am?

• mj October 22, 2015 at 7:19 pm #

Let’s make it 9. I’ll still be sipping on my first cup of tea at 8. 🙂 Thanks so much Evelyne! I have to say, that is would be hard to compare the 3 because they are all totally different.

17. Tamara October 21, 2015 at 7:35 am #

Saturday morning is our “pancake morning,” and these look fabulous! Thanks 🙂

• mj October 22, 2015 at 7:17 pm #

Thanks Tamara! It’s Sunday for us. 🙂

18. Angie@Angie's Recipes October 21, 2015 at 5:49 am #

These pancakes look so fluffy and delicious. I like the use of spelt flour here, MJ.

• mj October 22, 2015 at 7:17 pm #

Thanks Angie! Well, you are of the people that inspired me to give spelt a try.

19. Raymund October 21, 2015 at 12:41 am #

What no chiles today 🙁
    LOL that apple pecan pancakes looks like a perfect breakfast to me

• mj October 22, 2015 at 7:16 pm #

Nope…no chiles today. 🙂 Thanks Raymund!

20. Hotly Spiced October 20, 2015 at 8:19 pm #

What beautiful pancakes and I like how you used a mix of flours. Apples and pecans are an excellent combination. These really do celebrate Fall xx

• mj October 22, 2015 at 7:16 pm #

Thanks Charlie! yep, I always look forward to fall apples.

21. marcie October 20, 2015 at 7:10 pm #

I love spelt flour — it adds such a nice, nutty flavor! These pancakes sound delicious with the buttermilk, apples, and warm spices. Pecans are the perfect way to top them off!

• mj October 22, 2015 at 7:15 pm #

I agree! I put spelt flour is just about anything that calls for flours. Thanks!

22. swathi October 20, 2015 at 5:10 pm #

This perfectly fall themed pancakes MJ. Apple and pecan can never go wrong. I use them in cakes. but this pancake idea is wonderful. pinning and tweeting.

• mj October 22, 2015 at 7:14 pm #

Thanks Swathi! I totally agree that one can’t go wrong with apple and pecan. Thanks for all of the shares!