Peaches with Fried Grits and Pecans

A breakfast of fried grits, sliced peaches, toasted pecans and mint, topped with maple syrup #breakfast #grits #peaches @mjskitchen

Do you find yourself stuck in a rut for breakfast at times, bored with another smoothie or bowl of cereal with fruit?  If so, then I think you’ll find this breakfast – Fried Grits with Peaches and Pecans – quite refreshing. What’s not to love about fresh peaches and grits?  This is a hearty, but light breakfast.  It’s sweet and savory with lots of texture and flavor, and it’s also quite versatile in that you can use just about any fruit you have on hand.  We just really like it with peaches and peaches and grits is a great combo.

It does take a little planning because you need to make the grits beforehand and let them set. I usually make up a big batch of grits one day, eat half for breakfast with some green chile or butter, and use the leftovers for fried grits the next day.

The following peaches and grits recipe includes how to make the Fried Grits and how to use them with peaches in this delightful breakfast.  Be sure to read the Kitchen Notes for suggested substitutions and additions.

What's not to like about peaches and grits? Enjoy this breakfast of fried grits, fresh peaches, toasted pecans and mint, topped with maple syrup. #breakfast #grits #peaches @mjskitchen

Grits – I prefer hominy grits or white corn grits for breakfast dishes, but fried polenta (yellow grits) works just fine.  I don’t add anything but salt to the grits because ingredients like cheese and butter tend to soften them, making it more difficult for them to hold together when you fry them.

The Fruit – Peaches are excellent with this dish, but I have been known to add a few strawberries, blueberries or blackberries.  In fact, just about any fruit or combination of fruit works.

Pecans – Pecans, walnut, almonds are all good nuts for this dish.

Replacing Fried Grits with Fried Cheese – I have also made this dish with fried cheese, like Halloumi or a dense feta or Queso Fresco.  Any cheese with a high melting point works.  This dish with fried cheese make a nice little dessert.

How to fry grits or polenta | mjskitchen.com

Fried grits can be used in so many ways.  Afterall, it’s just fried polenta, right?  As seen in the Peaches with Fried Grits recipe above, it’s great with sweet fruit and maple syrup.  It can also be a base for a tomato or tomato sauce, sauteed vegetables, a soup, gravy or a chile sauce.  They are a lower carbohydrate substitute for potatoes and other starches.

If you like fresh peaches and grits, then you might also enjoy these Apple Pecan Crepes with Cheddar Cheese.  If you don’t want to make the crepes, you can always substitute fried grits.

Tags: , , , , , ,

45 Responses to “Peaches with Fried Grits and Pecans”

1. Amy (Savory Moments) September 9, 2015 at 11:39 am #

This dish is not only beautiful but super creative! I’ve never seen anything like it before. It’s lovely.

• mj September 10, 2015 at 8:25 am #

Thanks Amy! I hope you get a chance to give it a try. It’s really good! 🙂

2. Soni September 9, 2015 at 10:03 am #

Who wouldn’t love to wake up to a breakfast like that!Love the peaches and the fried grits look and sound delicious!

• mj September 10, 2015 at 8:25 am #

Thanks so much Soni!

3. Bam's Kitchen September 9, 2015 at 4:40 am #

I don’t think I have ever had fried grits. This sounds like a fun twist to breakfast. Love this idea and just gorgeous perfect peaches too! Can’t wait to try this! Pinned!

• mj September 9, 2015 at 8:46 am #

Thanks Bobbi! and thanks for all the pinning! Hope you’re doing well.

4. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef September 8, 2015 at 8:38 pm #

What planet have I been on that I have never had fried grits? I will import some and give it a try because this sounds really good!

• mj September 9, 2015 at 8:46 am #

You live on the planet of Australia! Not surprising you’ve never had fried grits. 🙂 I do think you’ll like them. Thanks!

5. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles September 8, 2015 at 10:41 am #

MJ, I saw grits just the other day in the store and I instantly thought of you! (I think I may have mentioned it before but grits are not something familiar back at home) — I have to follow through and buy them because I am so curious and the way you present them here is wonderful. Love the idea of sauteed grit patties with the complementary flavors and texture of peach – brilliant. You don’t mind if I use sage instead of mint do you? The first unofficial day of fall and suddenly, I feel compelled 🙂

• mj September 8, 2015 at 4:35 pm #

Kelly, you can use any herb you want, but please…I’m not ready for the fall!!! That means cooler weather and I love the warmth of summer. 🙂 If you like polenta, then there will be no problem with you liking grits – soft or fried. My sister and I were reminiscing in previous comment on my mother’s fried grits. So they are something I’ve been eating all my life. Thanks for your comments and hope you’re having a wonderful week!

6. Nads September 6, 2015 at 7:24 am #

This sounds like something I would really enjoy. As a kid I hated regular grits, but I loved them when Mama would make paddies and fry them, especially the buttery crisp edges and outsides. Pat O’Brien’s Restaurant in New Orleans makes a version of Shrimp and Grits that uses a fried grits paddy with a buttery herbed sauce poured over. Since I am the only grits eater in the house I seldom make them and when I do I only make one portion. I wonder if the others would go for this. My sweet tooth people will eat just about anything you pour syrup over.

• mj September 7, 2015 at 9:26 am #

I do think I remember you not like grits. I liked them with lots of butter and some sugar. 🙂 And yes, fried grit patties were also yummy. I remember mama packing the leftover grits into those tall plastic glasses that we got from the gas station, during the days when gas stations gave away stuff. You know, I’ve never made shrimp and grits with fried grits before. Haven’t had it either. I definitely need to try that.
      Since the other members of your household don’t like grits, you might try this with fried cheese. It makes it a little fancier, and actually different in taste and textures, but quite good.
      Hope y’all are having a wonderful weekend!

7. Sissi September 4, 2015 at 1:41 am #

One more usual dish for you and for me, once more a highly exotic stuff! I feel so ashamed to say I haven’t cooked the grits you kindly sent me… I started to wonder what to try from your blog first… and then tried nothing. Your beautiful dish has reminded me I must decide quickly (and every time I open the grains/flours closet I see them and think “I am so curious to see how they taste”…). I must stop putting away some things… It took me so much time to start finally roasting chile too. Same story. Beautiful photographs, by the way!

• mj September 7, 2015 at 9:22 am #

Thanks Sweetheart!! I know it’s always so hard to decide where to start. I still have a few items that you sent me that are sitting there waiting for just the right thing. 🙂 I don’t remember sending you any grits, but I do believe I sent you dried posole- the white corn kernals? Grits are made from grinding posole’, however, please don’t do that. You really need to cook the posole. It’s SO good and I’m sure quite different from anything you’ve ever tasted. I do have a couple of recipes on my website, but you could also just cook the posole with some pork, roasted green chile, aromatics and seasoning. That’s the traditional dish here in NM. If you need help, just let me know. Have a fabulous week!

• Sissi September 13, 2015 at 10:47 am #

Thank you so much, MJ… of course it’s posole… I see it every day almost when I open my kitchen cupboard… I feel so stupid.. I am sure I’ll find lots of recipes on your blog!

• mj September 13, 2015 at 2:57 pm #

Oh Sissi, not to worry. I’m glad you’ve save it because posole is definitely a cool/cold weather ingredient. You’ll see that is total comfort food. And yes, I know of at least 2 posole’ recipes on my site. Enjoy!

8. Vicki Bensinger September 3, 2015 at 3:57 pm #

MJ this dish is so unique. How did you ever come up with this – it’s brilliant! Refreshing and comforting all at the same time.

• mj September 3, 2015 at 5:12 pm #

Thanks so much Vicki! This was one of those mornings that I looked in the fridge to see what I could make for breakfast. I had leftover grits and a peach. 🙂

9. Renee @ Tortillas and Honey September 3, 2015 at 1:20 pm #

What an absolutely beautiful and comforting dish! This sounds wonderful! I love reading your notes with tips and alternatives.

• mj September 3, 2015 at 2:31 pm #

Thanks so much Renee! Hope you’re having a great week!

10. Abbe @ This is How I Cook September 2, 2015 at 9:35 pm #

I want mine with cheese and peaches! And a lot of maple syrup! This looks so good!

• mj September 3, 2015 at 2:31 pm #

You got it! This is REALLY good with cheese and you can never have enough maple syrup.:) Thanks Abbe!

11. Viviane Bauquet Farre September 2, 2015 at 2:47 pm #

Love this, MJ! What a great combination. Also, I laughed at your note “(NOT instant)” – I know no self-respecting southerner would dare 🙂

• mj September 2, 2015 at 7:57 pm #

Thanks Viviane! Every time I do a grits post I think of that same quote. Loved that movie! 🙂

12. Raymund September 2, 2015 at 4:58 am #

Thats a well plated dish! looks like it came out from some posh restaurant

• mj September 2, 2015 at 7:57 pm #

Thanks Raymund!

13. Hotly Spiced September 1, 2015 at 7:05 pm #

This is a marvellous breakfast, Mj, and yes, it’s so easy to get stuck in a rut and serve the same old, same old. I do love the look of the peaches – it’s been such a long time since I ate a peach! Our season is just about to start xx

• mj September 2, 2015 at 7:56 pm #

Thanks Charlie! Oh how I love peach season, but it’s SO short! I which it was as long as strawberry season.

14. Tessa September 1, 2015 at 7:03 pm #

What a fantastic way to prepare breakfast!

• mj September 2, 2015 at 7:52 pm #

Thanks so much Tessa!

15. John@Kitchen Riffs September 1, 2015 at 6:49 pm #

Love grits! And polenta — in fact I’ve been playing around with polenta a lot lately. So I should switch to grits just for a change of pace. 🙂 This looks good — would serve this for dinner. Thanks!

• mj September 2, 2015 at 7:52 pm #

Thanks so much John! I love both myself. I find polenta creamier than grits so I have certain purposes for it an others for grits.

16. Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina September 1, 2015 at 5:30 pm #

I love this MJ! It reminds me of living in the Midwest where the Amish would fry cornmeal (grits or polenta) and drizzle syrup on top for breakfast. Much better with your fresh peaches! What do I do with fried polenta, you asked? It is our tradition every Christmas Eve to make polenta and fry about half of the batch, layer it with a creamy white cheese such as Fontina and ladle Italian stew on top. VERY filling. Love this recipe, MJ! Great tutorials too!

• mj September 2, 2015 at 7:51 pm #

Thanks so much Roz! My mother used to to that same thing, drizzling syrup on grits. 🙂 That’s where I picked it up. I still do it, obviously, 🙂 What a great Christmas Eve tradition. Layers of polenta with fontina sounds awesome! I will be trying that this winter for sure! Thanks for the idea!

17. Zsuzsa September 1, 2015 at 5:27 pm #

Peach Lady’s peachy brekkie. 🙂

• mj September 2, 2015 at 7:45 pm #

Thanks Zsuzsa! 🙂

18. Deb|EastofEdenCooking September 1, 2015 at 4:22 pm #

We get so stuck in our usual breakfast routine that I’m finding myself drawn into your post. What a wonderful way to enjoy peaches before they disappear for the season!

• mj September 2, 2015 at 7:44 pm #

Thanks so much Deb! I hope these do get you out of that rut. 🙂

19. The Duo Dishes September 1, 2015 at 1:32 pm #

Yes, yes, yes to fried grits/polenta. I’ve actually only baked grits (shaped into “fries”), but polenta has been pan fried many times. Love how crispy and creamy it is all at the same time. Love the Southern vibes of this dish!

• mj September 2, 2015 at 7:43 pm #

So you picked up the southern vibes did ya? 🙂 That’s interesting because I’ve never baked grits or polenta. I’ve got to give that a try. Thanks!!

20. A_Boleyn September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm #

Very imaginative use of grits. 🙂

I’m more of a savoury grits person but I can see the attraction.

• mj September 2, 2015 at 7:42 pm #

Thanks Ann! I enjoy grits both savory and sweet, whereas polenta is pretty much all savory.

21. Angie@Angie's Recipes September 1, 2015 at 12:20 pm #

I would have never thought of pairing grits and peaches..and I love what I see, MJ. Shared everywhere!

• mj September 2, 2015 at 7:41 pm #

Thanks so much Angie and thanks for the sharing!

1. Fried Grits with Peaches - Yum Goggle - September 8, 2015