Green Chile Recipes – MJ’s Favorites

A collection of some of the best green chile recipes using New Mexico Green Chile. @mjskitchen #green #chile #recipes

Just in case you haven’t already started thinking about getting your New Mexico green chile fix for the year, I thought I would get you started with this collection of some of the best green chile recipes.  Here in New Mexico the roasters are fired up and turning out bags of roasted, succulent green chile.  Down in Hatch the roasters have been busy for weeks, but they just got started up here in Albuquerque.

If you live in New Mexico, you can find fresh green chile just about anywhere right now.  For those of you in California, Arizona, Texas and Colorado you’re probably starting to see Hatch chile (chile from Hatch, New Mexico) at some of your local markets. For those of you that can’t find it locally, here is a list of chile suppliers that will ship either fresh chile or roasted frozen chile right to your door.  If you buy the fresh chile, you can roast them on your grill.

You’re definitely going to want some green chile once you start perusing the following recipes.

Let’s start with some traditional green chile recipes.  To smother anything in green, you’ll need to make a green chile sauce.

A bowl of New Mexico Green Chile Sauce | mjskitchen.com

MJ’s New Mexico Green Chile Sauce

Once you have a pot of sauce, then you can start smothering things like a big batch of  enchiladas, a stuffed sopapilla, or burrito.

I love the Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas from Positively Splendid as well as the Chicken Enchiladas with a Creamy Green Chile Sauce from Diaz Farms.  If you are looking for a vegetarian green chile enchilada, these Calabacitas Enchiladas are my all time favorite.

Green chile enchiladas with corn and squash| mjskitchen.com

Calabacitas Enchiladas

And then there’s the stuffed sopapilla smothered in green.  If you’ve never had a stuffed sopapilla, then you don’t know what you’re missing.  You start with a large pillow of fry bread called a sopapilla.  These are the standard dessert in many New Mexican restaurants.  They are a wonderful way to finish a spicy meal.  Just pinch off the end, pour in a touch of honey and enjoy!

New Mexico Sopapillas. Use as a dessert with honey or stuff and smother in chile | mjskitchen.com

Sopapilla Recipe @ Gingerbread Snowflakes

However, you can also use sopapillas for a spicy, savory meal.  Just cut down the middle, fill with your choice of ingredients (e.g., ground beef, chicken, carne adovada, beans and/or rice), then smother with red or green (chile sauce that is).

A sopapillas stuffed with beef, bean, rice and cheese, smothered in green chile sauce. @mjskitchen #sopapilla #greenchile

Stuffed Sopapillas with ground beef, pinto beans and Monterey Jack cheese, smothered in green chile

Green Chile sauce is also a standard (along with red) for smothering your favorite breakfast burrito.  Here’s a breakfast burrito that even the most devout vegetarian would find hard to resist.

Smothered Breakfast Burritos @ New Mexico True

But making a sauce is not the only thing you can do with green chile. Once the green chile is roasted, the possibilities are endless.  Below are some great examples.

Green Chile Breakfast Recipes

Grits and Green chile with cheese

Grits and Green Chile

A tortilla sandwich or quesadilla with scrambled egg and chile relleno

Green Chile Egg Quesadilla

Southwestern style migas is a dish that consists of scrambled eggs, green chile, and fried corn tortillas

Migas (Scrambled Eggs with Green Chile and Corn Tortillas)

Green Chile Chilaquiles @ A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures

Green Chile, Bacon and Cheese Egg Bake @ Recipe Girl

Green Chile Sweet Potato Hash Browns

Red chile is my usual choice for Huevos Rancheros, but I easily make an exception with these Huevos Rancheros with Green @ Savoring Today.

Green Chile Appetizers and Starters

An appetizer spread made with cream cheese and New Mexico green chile

Green Chile Cheese Spread

Green Chile Crab Cakes with horseradish sauce | mjskitchen.com

Green Chile Crab Cakes with Horseradish Sauce

Skinny Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Dip @ Recipe Runner

Queso Dip with Roasted Hatch Chile by The Wicked Noodle

Green Chile Entree Recipes

Green chile stacked with crepes (Pathiri), pine nuts (pinon) and queso fresco. mjskitchen.com @MJsKitchen

Green Chile Crepes with Pinon Nuts and Queso Fresco

Tamale with corn, mushroom, green chile - vegan

Green Chile Mushroom and Corn Tamales (Vegan)

Creamy Green Chile Chicken Spaghetti from Tortilla and Honey | mjskitchen.com

Grandma’s Creamy Green Chile Chicken Spaghetti @ Tortilla and Honey

Green chile chicken soup with mushrooms and corn mjskitchen.com

Green Chile Chicken Mushroom Soup

(Are we getting the idea that chicken and green chile is a match made in heaven?)

Calabacitas Chowder (Corn, Green Chile and Summer Squash

Green Chile Mac & Cheese @ Recipe Runner

Slow Cooker Hatch Green Chile Verde @ Foodie Crush

Beefy Cheesy Low-Carb Green Chile Bake @ Kayln’s Kitchen

Hatch Chili Grilled Cheese @ Feed Your Soul Too

Green Chile Chili Beans with Bacon @ Kitchen Riffs

Bob’s New Mexico Green Chile Stew

I almost forgot this classic:

The quintessential Green Chile Cheeseburger | mjskitchen.com

Quintessential Green Chile Cheeseburger

Green Chiles Sides, Breads, and More Goodies

Lima beans, corn, and green chile succotash

Green Chile Succotash

(This is a standard side dish for the holidays)

Green Chile Chorizo Bread by This is How I Cook | mjskitchen.com

Green Chile and Chorizo Bread by This is How I Cook

(I haven’t made this yet, but Abbe’s photo tells me how good it’s going to be.)

Calabacitas - A New Mexico dish with summer squash, corn and green chile

Calabacitas (Summer Squash, Green Chile and Corn)

Because I love anything called a fritter….Green Chile Corn Fritters @ Macbells

Baked Summer Harvest Zucchini Boats @ Inspired Edibles

Hatch Chile and Cheddar Biscuits @ Spoon Fork Bacon  (BTW – These taste as good as they look!)

Sinfully Spicy Green Chile Apple Pie @ The Hatch Chile Store

Roasted Green Chile Jelly @ James & Everett what’s cooking at home

Green Chile Pesto @ Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen

These are just a few of my favorite green chile recipes.  If I provided all of my favorites, you’d still be reading this post two days from now.  But just in case you need more right now, check out the following links.

More green chile recipes from MJ’s Kitchen

Green Chile Obsession Pinterest Board

Happy Eating!!!

Tags: ,

68 Responses to “Green Chile Recipes – MJ’s Favorites”

1. Ashish Khadke December 7, 2015 at 9:41 am #

Looking yummy..
    Thanks for this delicious recipe.

2. Renee @ Tortillas and Honey August 31, 2015 at 3:13 pm #

This is such a wonderful and diverse round up of recipes!! I can’t wait to try some of these new (for me) recipes! Thank you so much for including my recipe and helping promote our wonderful cuisine here in NM!!!

• mj August 31, 2015 at 8:02 pm #

Thanks so much Renee! And thanks for contributing your grandma’s pasta and that great photo!

3. Debra August 30, 2015 at 4:11 pm #

The green chiles are in our grocery store at 88 cents a lb. That is good for here. I want to buy a whole box!

• mj August 30, 2015 at 5:16 pm #

That’s excellent! That’s cheaper than I can get it here! I’m paying over $1/pound! Maybe I should come to OK to buy my chile. 🙂 Buy a box!!

4. Nancy/SpicieFoodie August 26, 2015 at 8:59 pm #

Hi MJ! All of these recipes look mouthwatering. We don’t see New Mexican (nor Hatch) chiles here, unfortunately. I’ve been researching this chile for an article I am writing and I have to tell you that you are the best source of information and definitely recipes. Of course I’m linking to you. Hope you are doing great!:)

• mj August 27, 2015 at 8:36 pm #

Thanks so much Nancy!! Can’t wait to read your article and thanks for thinking of me! 🙂

5. Sissi August 25, 2015 at 11:09 am #

Still remember we have a special link? Well, this morning I went to buy lots of GREEN chile for roasting from my market! (This will be my first roasted chile). Incredible coincidence! Thank you so much for all the inspiring ideas. I already have more than one bookmarked of course…

• mj August 25, 2015 at 9:40 pm #

Of course I remember! How could I forget? 🙂 Your first chile roasting experience…that is SO cool! I can’t wait to hear how it turned out and how you like those roasted chiles. Enjoy Darlin and thanks for coming to see me!

• Sissi August 27, 2015 at 9:32 am #

Have just roasted a first batch! (Turkish aci sivri). Peeled too. Wondering what to do for the first time… too many choices on your blog 😉

• Sissi August 27, 2015 at 10:02 am #

Have just made the chile spread (I’ve used Greek yogurt instead of cream cheese) and it’s amazing! I’m sure it will taste even better after it toughens a bit in the fridge… I hope I will be patient enough. Thank you so much, dear MJ!
          I’m now making a weird experiment with the other half of the batch… I’ll write to you if it works! I would never think chillies (oops, chile!) offer so many possibilities, once grilled and skinned. Now that I have a new fridge with a normal, big freezer, I’ll freeze lots of these too, just like you do. Thank you for inspiration!

• mj August 27, 2015 at 8:39 pm #

Oh YAY!! Roasted and Greek yogurt does sound awesome! Can’t wait to see and hear about the results of your experiment. Prayer tell…what did you do? 🙂 Thanks Darlin!

• mj August 27, 2015 at 8:37 pm #

Ha Ha…I’m sure whatever you do will be awesome!

6. Sarah | Drool-Worthy August 23, 2015 at 8:23 am #

We’re in Texas and running by fresh green chiles is too easy. This recipes looks fantastic! Great stuff, as usual 🙂

• mj August 23, 2015 at 3:45 pm #

Thanks so much Sarah!

7. Bam's Kitchen August 22, 2015 at 7:45 pm #

Oh my goodness MJ! this is a great round up so many new things to try, I do not know where to begin as everything looks so delicious. Pinning so that I can try some of these recipes later. Have a super weekend!

• mj August 22, 2015 at 7:59 pm #

Thanks so much Bobbi! and thanks for pinning! Hope you’re having a fabulous weekend!

8. Amy (Savory Moments) August 21, 2015 at 4:50 pm #

Oh MJ, it all looks SO good. My mouth is watering! Pinning.

• mj August 22, 2015 at 7:57 pm #

Thanks Amy! Thanks for pinning!

9. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen August 21, 2015 at 12:03 am #

I love that you’ve compiled these delicous chile recipes in one post.

• mj August 22, 2015 at 7:57 pm #

Thanks Peachy!

10. Liz August 20, 2015 at 8:10 pm #

Oh, my gosh, you’ve made me so hungry! I should be thinking about bedtime, but your roundup of deliciousness has convinced me to put some chiles on my grocery list 🙂

• mj August 22, 2015 at 7:57 pm #

Thank you so much Liz! Hope you find some chiles! 🙂

11. Deb|EastofEdenCooking August 20, 2015 at 2:12 pm #

I made the Calabacitas Enchiladas for dinner last night and oh my goodness! I stayed true to your recipe, the only change I made was adding a layer of chicken. Mr R had a third helping! Thankfully there were enough leftovers for lunches today! A wonderful recipe MJ!

• mj August 20, 2015 at 7:25 pm #

Oh Deb, thank you so much for letting me know! The addition of chicken sounds great and what a great idea. As you saw from the collection, chicken and green chile is a great combo. Three servings…I’m flattered! 🙂 You made my day Darlin! Thanks!

12. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles August 20, 2015 at 10:41 am #

I’ll have to look out for the specific Hatch label in the chile department although my Safeway is a bit comical in these regards 😀 — I have to get myself to a real market one of these days outside my whole foods/safeway loop. So much deliciousness you’ve gathered for us here MJ – love the one stop shopping :)) thanks so much for including Inspired Edibles in your roundup!

• mj August 20, 2015 at 7:23 pm #

Thanks so much Kelly! As of a couple of years ago, all New Mexico chile sold in and out of the state must carry a “certified New Mexico” label. There were so many “fakes”. 🙂 I’m sure you will see some soon, but yes, a local market that’s not a Safeway is always nice.

13. Ramona W August 20, 2015 at 7:48 am #

You are seriously making me hungry and I just ate breakfast! Wow… I would love to have a green chile feast of all these dishes. 🙂

• mj August 20, 2015 at 7:19 pm #

Thanks Ramona! It would definitely be a feast! 🙂

14. Hotly Spiced August 20, 2015 at 1:04 am #

Hi MJ, I made the green chile enchiladas for dinner last night. It was a great family meal and I loved the hit of green chile. Thanks for letting me know about the recipe xx

• mj August 20, 2015 at 7:19 pm #

Charlie, thanks so much for letting me know. I’m glad your family enjoyed the enchiladas! You made my day!!!

15. swathi August 19, 2015 at 8:26 pm #

You have so many delicious recipes Mj wish I can do a taste test on all of them. love it pinned for my future reference.

• mj August 20, 2015 at 7:18 pm #

Thanks Swathi and thanks for pinning!

16. wok with ray August 19, 2015 at 2:53 pm #

You have so many delicious and gorgeous chili recipes and it is just one category — green. 🙂 You are my go to foodie when it comes to chillis, my friend. Amazing collection of recipes! 🙂

• mj August 20, 2015 at 7:17 pm #

Thanks so much Ray! Yep…this is just green and it’s a very small collection. I could have gone on and on and on. 🙂

17. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz August 19, 2015 at 2:52 pm #

What an awesome recipe round-up for green chile MJ, I am salivating, I remember when you posted the Migas, got to make that. I wonder if any export to Canada at a reasonable rate.

• mj August 20, 2015 at 7:16 pm #

Thanks so much Evelyne! I know that some of the supplies to ship to Canada, but at a reasonable price? Well…shipping will break the bank. 🙁

18. Nads August 19, 2015 at 1:18 pm #

Even though I still have green chilies in the freezer from overdoing it last year, I’ve been buying fresh Hatch chilies every time I go to the market. I love them. Unfortunately the other two here aren’t as crazy about them as I am. I have been sneaking them into numerous dishes lately and no one has objected. I’m roasting a few to go with dinner tonight – brisket, cornbread and collards. I really like the stuffed sopapillas with green chilies idea. One of the markets here makes an amazing Hatch chili bread that we love and look forward to. Thank you for all the great recipes for these annual treats. So many recipes, so little time.

• mj August 20, 2015 at 7:15 pm #

Goody..now I have something else to give Jim a hard time about. How could he NOT like green chile? 🙂 Your dinner last night sounds awesome. Wish we had be there. Brisket. YUM! Thanks Sweetie for your nice comments! Hope you’re having a great evening.

19. Soni August 19, 2015 at 12:38 pm #

Some amazing looking recipes in this list!I’d love to try the Calabasitas enchiladas and also the crab cakes …the pics are DROOL WORTHY!

• mj August 20, 2015 at 7:13 pm #

Thanks so much Soni! I hope you do get the chance to try a couple of these recipes.

20. Anna @ shenANNAgans August 18, 2015 at 9:02 pm #

MJ…. You are a legend! I’ve got a stack of chillies in the freezer from Summer, havent really known what to do with them, now I do. Awesome list I can now get cracking on creating. Thanks for the brilliant ideas, I’m particularly keen to try the Green Chile Egg Quesadilla, kinda different.

Happy hugs from the land down under, and I wish you a super week ahead too. 🙂

• mj August 19, 2015 at 12:17 pm #

Thanks so much Anna! 🙂 I agree that it’s time for you to get cracking. You have no excuse now. 🙂 Hope you have a great week as well.

21. Hotly Spiced August 18, 2015 at 8:39 pm #

You have some wonderful green chilli recipes here. I’d love to try the Calabasitas enchiladas. The summer squash recipe looks really good too xx

• mj August 19, 2015 at 12:16 pm #

Thanks so much Charlie! My extended family members request those enchiladas quite often. 🙂 Hope you get the opportunity to make them.

22. Bill August 18, 2015 at 7:37 pm #

I roasted a bunch of chiles fresh from the garden last Sunday. I personally prefer to roast them over a wood fire rather than gas flame. I think that the wood smoke produces a marvelous flavor. I expect that the chile harvest over the next couple of months will keep me busy.

• mj August 19, 2015 at 12:15 pm #

I’m sure the wood smoke provide an awesome flavor! What a wonderful thing to be able to do that. I’m jealous.:) Sounds like your chile crop is doing great! Oh how I would love the long growing season of the south. 🙂

23. Diana Burroughs August 18, 2015 at 5:58 pm #

love these…!

• mj August 19, 2015 at 12:13 pm #

Thanks Diana!

24. John@Kitchen Riffs August 18, 2015 at 4:36 pm #

Haven’t seen Hatch green chilies yet in our stores — and Ive been looking! Probably real soon now, I’d think. Can’t wait! Love the stuff. And love the great collection of recipes you’ve assembled — I’m going to have to buy double my usual amount of chilies! 🙂 Thanks.

• mj August 19, 2015 at 12:13 pm #

I’m sure the chiles will be arriving soon John. With this list you probably will be needing twice as many. 🙂 Thanks!

25. peter @feedyoursoultoo August 18, 2015 at 3:20 pm #

Loving the theme of this post. Thx for including me.

• mj August 19, 2015 at 12:12 pm #

Thank YOU Peter and you are most welcome! I have made your grilled cheese with the smoked gouda and it’s just downright awesome!

26. Carol at Wild Goose Mama August 18, 2015 at 3:02 pm #

Gad! What a fabulous roster of green chili recipes. If they are YOUR favorites, then they have to be out of sight delish because you are my Go To Woman for these
    kinds of dishes. Dang—down right inspirational. Thank you.

• mj August 19, 2015 at 12:10 pm #

Thanks so much Carol for your kind feedback! 🙂

27. Raymund August 18, 2015 at 1:48 pm #

Love these recipes, definitely a good round up!

• mj August 19, 2015 at 12:09 pm #

Thanks Raymund!

28. Deb|EastofEdenCooking August 18, 2015 at 1:26 pm #

What a timely round-up of recipes! Our local grocery store has Hatch Chiles on sale this week! The enchilada recipe just might get made this week!

• mj August 19, 2015 at 12:09 pm #

Thanks so much Deb! You can’t go wrong with green chile enchiladas. 🙂

29. Viviane Bauquet Farre August 18, 2015 at 1:24 pm #

MJ, I love the idea of stuffing sopapillas — I’ve always had them with honey, and never thought to use them in a savory recipe. Inspired!

• mj August 19, 2015 at 12:08 pm #

Oh Viviane – you really need to give stuffed sopapillas a try! They are awesome and you can fill them with whatever you want. Happy to have inspired. 🙂

30. Abbe @ This is How I Cook August 18, 2015 at 1:17 pm #

What an incredible list. I don’t know where to start! I still have chilies in my freezer from last year, so I best gt to work! Thanks MJ for all the super ideas!

• mj August 19, 2015 at 12:07 pm #

Thanks so much Abbe and you are most welcome! Once it cools off where I can start using my oven again, I’m making your bread. I’ve started dreaming about it. 🙂

31. Lesley August 18, 2015 at 12:40 pm #

My husband and I purchased 7 lbs of green chiles last week. Brought them home, roasted them and froze them.

Thanks M. J. for all the great recipe ideas. I’ll think I’ll try my hand at making my own tamales. The green chile and mushroom tamales look amazing. And the chicken/chile spaghetti.

You really made me hungry with this one!

• mj August 19, 2015 at 12:07 pm #

Thank you so much Lesley! Glad to have helped! I have to say that the tamales are one of our all time favorite. I make them at least 3 times year along with a few more varieties. Hope you do make them and enjoy! Renee’s grandma’s pasta is delicious! I made it a couple days after she posted it and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

32. Angie@Angie's Recipes August 18, 2015 at 12:36 pm #

You have some really amazing chili recipes, MJ. This is a great roundup.

• mj August 19, 2015 at 12:04 pm #

Thanks so much Angie! BTW – Your idea for adding coconut oil to green tea is a keeper!

1. Filo Rolls with Roasted Green Chilli Pepper and Feta | With a Glass - October 25, 2016

[…] to my dear blogging friend MJ and one of her numerous extremely tempting posts praising green chilli (or rather “chile” as they say in New Mexico), I finally embarked on the roasting […]