Spiced Chocolate Atole

Spiced Chocolate Atole: Chocolate almond milk with atole (blue corn flour), red chile and other spices | mjskitchen.com

One of my favorite breakfasts when I was a kid was a pop tart and a glass of chocolate milk made with Bosco.  Now that I’ve grown up a bit, I still like my chocolate milk, but I’ve made the switch from Bosco to chocolate almond milk and instead of pop tarts, I prefer a slice of banana bread or cranberry bread.  Also, instead of just plain chocolate milk, I whisk in a little atole (toasted blue corn flour), a dash of ginger, and a few other spices, for a spicy hot beverage that is quite satisfying on a cold morning.

This Spiced Chocolate Atole is a version of champurrado, but is lighter (not as thick) than most champurrado recipes and is also lighter than my winter atole smoothies I shared back in 2013. It is also much easier to make.  Nothing to blend, just a little whisking.  In the winter, I like it hot, but it can also be served cold for a summer beverage.  Just make it the day before and refrigerate.

To read more about atole as well as chocolate atole (aka champurrado), visit my previous atole post.

Spiced Chocolate Atole: Chocolate almond milk with atole (blue corn flour), red chile and other spices #atole #bluecorn @mjskitchen

Chocolate Milk, Milk Substitute – I use Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Chocolate Milk which I really like but some mornings I find it a little too chocolatey (if that’s possible), so I add a little vanilla almond milk.  For this recipe it really doesn’t matter what type chocolate milk you use.  Any brand or form of chocolate milk or milk substitute works.  In fact, you can make your chocolate milk from scratch if you prefer.

Atole – Atole is a toasted blue corn that is ground to a flour or fine cornmeal.  It’s easy to find here in New Mexico, but outside of New Mexico you can either order it from a NM supplier or substitute with regular blue cornmeal or blue corn flour.  Here are two NM suppliers that I know sell atole:

Chimayo Chile Brothers

Los Chileros de Nuevo Mexico

You could also make this beverage with regular cornmeal or masa and cocoa powder.  And if you don’t like chocolate, just leave it out.

Disclaimer:  This post was not a post to endorse Blue Diamond Almond milk or any particular business.  I just happen to like BD almond milk and like it for my chocolate atole.  As far as the atole, I purchase mine from the local co-op, but I know that the suppliers mentioned above do carry it.

Tags: , ,

66 Responses to “Spiced Chocolate Atole”

1. The Wimpy Vegetarian March 15, 2015 at 9:56 am #

This looks like such a warming way to greet the day. I’m not at all familiar with atole, so I’m off to learn about it.

• mj March 16, 2015 at 11:13 am #

Thanks Susan!

2. Soni March 5, 2015 at 8:54 am #

Love the flavors especially cardamom in your drink and cannot wait to try!!And I love almond milk too…what a delicious start to the day !!

• mj March 8, 2015 at 2:00 pm #

Thanks soni! Cardamom is one of my favorite spices as well.

3. Vicki Bensinger March 3, 2015 at 6:35 pm #

YUM this is kicked up version of hot cocoa that I’m sure I’d love. You can never have too much hot cocoa. Nice recipe!

• mj March 3, 2015 at 7:35 pm #

Thanks Vicki! totally agree that one can never have too much hot cocoa. 🙂

4. Judit + Corina @Glamorous Bite March 2, 2015 at 8:42 pm #

What a delightful adult version of hot chocolate with spices that make this even more warming on those cold evenings! It really has been too long since we had a cup of even just a simple cocoa.

• mj March 3, 2015 at 8:49 am #

Thank you so much Judit and Corina! Everyone needs a cup of cocoa once in a while. Sounds like it’s time for you to have one. 🙂

5. Dedy@Dentist Chef March 2, 2015 at 9:18 am #

Simply damn delicious spiced chocolate!!!

• mj March 2, 2015 at 7:28 pm #

Oh thanks Dedy! 🙂

6. Hotly Spiced March 1, 2015 at 7:00 pm #

That’s a very sophisticated hot chocolate. I also have recently switched to almond milk and I buy the very same brand! xx

• mj March 1, 2015 at 9:06 pm #

Thanks Charlie! I’m trying to reduce my dairy so I’ve been using more and more almond milk as well as rice milk.

7. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz March 1, 2015 at 5:42 pm #

Really nice on a favorite beverage! Like the use of almond milk, all the spices and a hot kick!

• mj March 1, 2015 at 9:05 pm #

Thanks Evelyne!

8. Debra March 1, 2015 at 2:52 pm #

I remember how intrigued I was with your earlier atole posts. I want a big old mug of this stuff right now!

• mj March 1, 2015 at 9:05 pm #

Thanks Debra!

9. Raymund March 1, 2015 at 11:54 am #

This is one great drink to start your day, love to have this now instead of my long black coffee

• mj March 1, 2015 at 9:04 pm #

Thanks Raymund!

10. Easyfoodsmith March 1, 2015 at 6:14 am #

I relish my visits to your space MJ. Each of my visit to your blog excites me and helps me learn about something new. The spiced chocolate atole sounds fab.

• mj March 1, 2015 at 9:04 pm #

Thank you so much Taruna! I feel the same way about your blog.

11. Treat and Trick February 28, 2015 at 7:15 pm #

Love the spices you’ve added but not sure whether I can get atole here…

• mj March 1, 2015 at 9:03 pm #

Thanks! Atole isn’t very common outside of the Americas, I believe.

12. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen February 28, 2015 at 4:14 pm #

This looks like something I would like as we also have a version of “Champorado” here in the Philippines.

• mj March 1, 2015 at 9:02 pm #

Now I need to look up Champorado. Thanks Peachy!

13. Sissi February 28, 2015 at 1:41 pm #

Atole reminds me strangely of one of my favourite desserts as a child: it was a chocolate “pudding”, i.e. milk, cocoa, sugar and everything thickened with some potato flour, served hot; the part I loved most was the “skin” which formed at the top…
    I am also a fan of almond milk (I have a splash of it with coffee in the morning instead of soy milk which is not as tasty), so now I’d try it with this milk instead!
    The spicy kick would be such a welcome variation now that I know I’m a chilli addict 😉 (Though even as a child I loved spicy food and luckily my mum allowed me as much of chilli as I wanted). Beautiful chocolate treat for cold days!

• mj March 1, 2015 at 9:01 pm #

Thanks so much Sissi! This could be turned into a pudding if you add more corn flour, but I’ve tried that and I personally was too much of a fan. I’m still working on it though. I think you would really like this if you like almond milk and I know you like chile. 🙂 That’s funny about your mum because mine was the same. We had a bottle of Tabasco and a jar of pickled jalapeno on the table every night. We’ve got iron stomachs as a result of it. 🙂

• Sissi March 3, 2015 at 3:31 pm #

I must check if I still like this dessert… I haven’t had it for… at least 25 years! It was rather a tea treat than a dessert served after a meal (it was quite filling). (Now that I think, one of the popular desserts when I was a child was a mixture of raw egg (or yolk maybe?) with cocoa and sugar! Children loved it because they were able to prepare it alone, without touching the oven, add the ingredients we wanted and we had fun stirring it until it changed the colour in the glass. I wonder if I’d like it now…I’ve completely forgotten it).

• mj March 3, 2015 at 7:26 pm #

Raw egg, cocoa and sugar? That sounds quite interesting. Let me know if you find the recipe. I’d love the try it!

• Sissi March 12, 2015 at 1:55 pm #

I think you might be very disappointed… I have just checked to be sure if it’s yolk or whole egg; the recipe is veeeery simple: you put for example two yolks into a bowl, add 2 teaspoons sugar and whisk until it becomes smooth. Then you add a heaped tablespoon of bitter cocoa (I mean unsweetened) and whisk more. Taste, adjust the sweetness and… that’s it! It’s runny…
            I remember I liked it very very cold so maybe it’s good to put it for some time in the fridge. (I have seen it’s called “Polish eggnog”, but it’s without alcohol, since it was a typical dessert for children… but I suppose now that we are adults we can add a splash of something… like Cointreau maybe?rum?

• mj March 13, 2015 at 11:46 am #

I love runny egg yolks over pasta and bread, but whisked with sugar and cocoa…that’s WAY out there for me. 🙂 But then, this could be one of those “don’t knock it til you try it” recipes. The eggs I get from a local farmer are as fresh as you can get, so I might just have to give this a try. My curiosity has been peaked. 🙂 A little Cointreau sounds like a good idea! thanks! I’ll let you know how I like it.

14. Liz February 27, 2015 at 4:24 pm #

Very hot sounds really good about now! Our temps will drop into the sub-zero range tonight–ugh. What a terrific way to wake up in the morning–the chocolate and spice combo sounds divine!

• mj March 1, 2015 at 8:57 pm #

Oh Liz, I don’t know how y’all are dealing with those cold temperatures. Well, this would definitely help to warm you up. Thanks!

15. Shashi at RunninSrilankan February 27, 2015 at 10:52 am #

I don’t think I’ve ever had a spiced chocolate milk before – this Spiced Chocolate Atole sounds so comforting MJ!

• mj March 1, 2015 at 8:56 pm #

Thanks Shashi! It’s quite good. 🙂

16. swathi February 26, 2015 at 8:57 pm #

yes you are right we hot chocolate fans, I am going to try this spiced version.

• mj March 1, 2015 at 8:54 pm #

Hope you enjoy it Swathi!

17. Melodie K. February 26, 2015 at 1:40 pm #

I, too, remember the joys of Bosco and have been eating more and more dark chocolate laced with chile lately. So, yes, I’m looking forward to trying this!

• mj February 26, 2015 at 7:09 pm #

Thanks Melodie! Chocolate and red chile is a match made in heaven, isn’t it? 🙂

18. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles February 26, 2015 at 10:44 am #

I love your spicy chocolate bevies MJ and I’m tickled that you enjoy this one in the morning! Yeehaw — great way to add a little kick to your day for sure. I had to look up Bosco – don’t think I’ve ever seen that brand in Canada. We had “Quik” — ah, the childhood classics. I do remember your atole smoothie and the steam coming up from it 😀 — the corn flour acts as a thickener if I’m recalling correctly. So unique. I’ve never tried flavored almond milk but the chocolate version sounds just right in this recipe.

• mj February 26, 2015 at 1:01 pm #

Thanks Kelly! There have been a few people that said they had never heard of Bosco. I wonder if it was a southern US thing. It certainly was big in the south when I was a kid. But then so was Quik…Nestle’s Quik. My brother preferred it, but I preferred Bosco. Yes, the corn flour is a thickener, the more you add, the thicker it gets. I’m trying to cut back on dairy so I’ve been trying all different types of milk substitutes. Right now, the vanilla almond milk and rice milk are my favorite, but when it comes to chocolate flavored…the almond milk is the best! IMO. 🙂

19. Asmita February 26, 2015 at 7:49 am #

Chocolate and a little spice, what could be better? Yummy!

• mj February 26, 2015 at 12:58 pm #

Thanks Asmita!

20. minnie@thelady8home February 26, 2015 at 7:06 am #

Woo hoo…..I have never ever heard of adding corn flour to milk, but that makes so much sense. The texture would be so awesome. I never heard of bosco, but I am so willing to try this.

• mj February 26, 2015 at 12:58 pm #

Thanks Minnie! The texture is a creamy than normal chocolate milk. You do get a little bit of the bigger pieces of cornmeal that sink to the bottom of the cup, but that doesn’t bother me.:) Bosco…It was all over the south when I was growing up. In my house it was a battle between Bosco and Nestle Quick. 🙂

21. marcela February 26, 2015 at 2:53 am #

Omg! This recipe is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing! You took amazing pictures!

• mj February 26, 2015 at 12:56 pm #

Thanks so much Marcela!

22. Bam's Kitchen February 25, 2015 at 10:47 pm #

I love the little kick with a chili powder just what you need on a cold morning.

• mj February 26, 2015 at 12:52 pm #

you got that right! 🙂

23. Minnie@thelady8home February 25, 2015 at 10:05 pm #

This sounds very unique combination. Something so new. Amazing, sounding really tempting.

• mj February 26, 2015 at 12:52 pm #

Thanks so much Minnie!

24. Angie@Angie's Recipes February 25, 2015 at 9:00 pm #

Adding blue cornflour to the chocolate drink is something completely new to me. And I love all the warm spices that you have added here. Excellent!

• mj February 26, 2015 at 12:52 pm #

Thanks so much Angie!

25. Lily Lau February 25, 2015 at 3:37 pm #

What a new concept for chocolate, you got me so curious! 😀

• mj February 26, 2015 at 12:51 pm #

Thanks Lily! this yield a thicker, spicer chocolate milk…something I just love!

26. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef February 25, 2015 at 3:08 pm #

That sounds delicious but I have no idea where we’d find atole here in Australia. 🙂

• mj February 26, 2015 at 12:51 pm #

Thanks Maureen! Finding atole or even blue corn in Australia might be pretty difficult. 🙂

27. mimi February 25, 2015 at 8:40 am #

very very interesting!!!!!

• mj February 25, 2015 at 9:57 am #

Thanks Mimi!

28. Juni February 24, 2015 at 10:16 pm #

MMM. I will definitely have to try this one. 🙂

• mj February 25, 2015 at 9:57 am #

Hope you enjoy it Juni!!

29. Nisa Homey February 24, 2015 at 8:47 pm #

I need to try this, adding chilie powder will def warm me up.

• mj February 25, 2015 at 9:57 am #

Thanks Nisa!

30. Roz @ La Bella Vita Cucina February 24, 2015 at 6:35 pm #

Mmm, no doubt this will warm the soul! I love almond milk too and need to try the chocolate flavor! Stay warm, my friend, stay warm!
    Roz

• mj February 24, 2015 at 8:38 pm #

Oh yes, it definitely do warm the soul Roz! Thanks so much!

31. John@Kitchen Riffs February 24, 2015 at 5:59 pm #

I haven’t thought of Bosco in a long, long time. Used to love that stuff. Which means I’d love this! I really need to use almond milk more often — just never think to buy it. But I will, I will. 😉 Really nice recipe — thanks.

• mj February 24, 2015 at 8:37 pm #

When I first tasted the Chocolate Almond it took me bake to Bosco. Good stuff. 🙂 If you liked Bosco, you will love this John. thanks for stopping by!