Grilled Portabello Tacos with Red Chile-Yogurt Sauce

Vegetarian tacos with grilled portabello, sauteed summer squash and red chile / yogurt sauce. mjskitchen.com

These Grilled Portabello Tacos with Red Chile-Yogurt Sauce were inspired by some Beer-Marinated Grilled Mushroom Tacos that I saw over at Oh My Veggies when I was searching for meatless main ideas.   Kiersten’s tacos looked delicious, but I didn’t have all of the ingredients so I improvised (a great deal actually) with what I had on hand.  The result was outstanding.  Bobby and I enjoyed them so much that when we went to Pagosa Springs with some friends, this was the meal we chose to dish up on our night to cook.  I had to increase the recipe a bit in order to serve 9 people, and in doing so, found that it is a very easy recipe to make for a small dinner party.

These tacos have a few easy steps, all of which go pretty fast and which can be done some what simultaneously by anyone, even those with minimal multitasking skills.  The mushrooms are basted with a simple oil and spice mixture, then set aside while you make the simple sauce, heat up the grill and chop the vegetables for the squash mixture.  Once the grill is hot, the mushrooms are grilled for about 8 minutes, then covered to stay warm.  A quick sauteed of squash, onion and garlic finishes the cooking process.  While sauteing the vegetables, you can warm the tortillas and crumble the feta.  All you have left to do after that is assemble the tacos, grab a beer, and enjoy!

The Squash – Our preference for this dish is yellow summer squash, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced.  However, you can use any summer squash or a mix of summer squash.  For the tacos you see in the pictures, I used baby zucchini, sliced lengthwise then halved and baby patty pan squash, sliced.  This mixture was also quite tasty.

Red Chile Sauce – I have to admit that the red chile-yogurt sauce is what really makes this meal.  If you have time, you could make a batch of red chile sauce using pods or for an easy and fast sauce, make it with red chile powder.  If you don’t have the red chile pods nor the powder, then just use your favorite salsa.  However, if the salsa is chunky, then I would recommend blending it a bit.

Grilling the Mushrooms – When you only have two mushrooms to grill, laying them directly on the grill is quite doable.  However, if you are cooking for a larger group, it is easier to lay the sliced mushrooms on aluminum foil.  When we made these tacos for nine people we used six mushrooms, which yielded A LOT of slices.  To make his life easier, Bobby placed aluminum foil on the hot grill and punch holes in it, and then placed the slices on the foil.  It took longer to grill the mushrooms (about 15 minutes), but he didn’t have to turn the slices and the result was just as good.

For the carnivore – Crumble some cooked Mexican chorizo on top.

Another portabello taco you would enjoy is the Portobello Mushroom and Cubanelle Pepper Tacos by Spicie Foodie

Speaking of Pagosa Springs, Colorado

A couple of weeks ago Bobby and I and some friends spent a few days in a friends’ house south of Pagosa Springs.  There was lots of good food…

Grilled Three Cheese Pizza and Grilled Mushroom Tacos…

Grilled Pizza by Dale mjskitchen.comVegetarian tacos with portabello, summer squash and a red chile-yogurt sauce. mjskitchen.com

Good Drink…Great wine and Green Chile Beer from Riff Raff Brewing

A green chile brew from Rift Raft in Pagosa Springs, CO mjskitchen

Gorgeous sunrises…

Echo Lake at Sunrise, Pagosa Springs, CO

Echo Lake at Sunrise Photo by Bob Willis

Tube fishing in a lake that is too beautiful for words….

Fishing Williams Creek Reservoir mjskitchen.com

Fishing Williams Creek Reservoir Photo by Dale Green

Williams Creek Reservoir - Colorado

Williams Creek Reservoir, Colorado Photo by Dale Green

and lots of just hanging out in a gorgeous place…

South of Pagosa Springs, CO mjskitchen.com

Photo by Bob Willis

A sunrise in southern Colorado mjskitchen.com

Sipping tea and watching the sunrise Photo by MJ Willis

Until next week, I hope you enjoy the scenery and the grilled portabello tacos!

Tags: , , , ,

62 Responses to “Grilled Portabello Tacos with Red Chile-Yogurt Sauce”

1. Jodee Weiland September 20, 2014 at 1:57 pm #

MJ, these tacos sound delicious…love vegetarian! They look so full of rich flavors blended perfectly together…you are amazing. Thanks for sharing this great recipe!

• mj September 21, 2014 at 8:31 pm #

Thanks so much Jodee! Thank you for sharing my recipe with others! Have a marvelous week.

2. Deena Kakaya August 19, 2014 at 3:19 pm #

Now this looks like my kind of taco! They look light, but have a kick…yum x

• mj August 19, 2014 at 8:16 pm #

Thanks Deena! Oh yea – it does have a kick to it. :)

3. Katerina August 16, 2014 at 8:36 am #

Thanks for coming and linking up these tacos at The Weekend Social. All posts get pinned in our pinterest board! Please be sure to come back next week starting Thursdays at 9PM EST! I hope to see you there!

• mj August 17, 2014 at 12:22 am #

Thanks you Katerina!

4. Soni August 14, 2014 at 5:00 pm #

Oh my! I just love the flavors you’ve got going on over here and wouldn’t miss my meat at all :) Love the grilled mushrooms and the red chili yoghurt looks like the perfect sauce along with all the other wonderful toppings!!

• mj August 14, 2014 at 8:35 pm #

Thanks so much Soni! Definitely a meal that makes you feel like you are eating meal, but you’re not.

5. The Squishy Monster August 13, 2014 at 11:17 am #

These look fantastic! I love the creamy, smoky element. These would be sure to revive the same ole’ tacos!

• mj August 13, 2014 at 9:42 pm #

Yes, the smokey element adds quite a lot to these tacos. Thanks!

6. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen August 12, 2014 at 10:14 pm #

Thanks for this great recipe! Something I’d do for meatless mondays.

• mj August 13, 2014 at 7:06 am #

You are most welcome Peachy! And thanks as always for dropping by!

7. Deb August 12, 2014 at 5:35 pm #

What a scrumptious recipe for meatless tacos! The Red-Chile Yogurt Sauce sounds fantastic! I imagine it would be a outstanding salad dressing too.

• mj August 12, 2014 at 8:13 pm #

Thanks Deb! Great idea on using the red chile-yogurt sauce as a dressing. I haven’t thought of that and I now I need to try it.

8. Terra August 12, 2014 at 5:03 pm #

Since I don’t eat tons of meat…..I like it, just not loads of it. I pretty much adore this recipe!!!! Love all the flavors brought together, perfect dinner option. Your photos were stunning!!! Hugs, Terra

• mj August 12, 2014 at 8:11 pm #

Thanks so much Terra! These tacos are definitely a great option to meat, something we love as well, but that we try to limit to only 3 to 4 days a week.

9. Raymund August 12, 2014 at 1:51 pm #

Grilling those mushrooms sounds like a great idea, then using that on tacos, YUM!!!

• mj August 12, 2014 at 8:09 pm #

Thanks Raymund! To be honest, I’m hooked on grilled mushrooms!

10. Swathi August 12, 2014 at 1:30 pm #

That is delicious tacos plate MJ now I want to become your neighbor to taste this. yumm pinning.

• mj August 12, 2014 at 8:09 pm #

Thanks Swathi! Wouldn’t that be fun to be neighbors! I could dish you and your family up New Mexican food and you could dish us up some of your delicious Indian food.

11. Bill August 12, 2014 at 1:10 pm #

MJ, SO sorry I’ve been AWOL the last few weeks. My summer schedule has hijacked my blog reading time! Anyway, I’m back with lots of catching up to do. Love these tacos. I’m of the mindset that tacos have to have meat and you’ve convinced me with this recipe that that’s not true. They look delicious! Great photos from you trip as well!

• mj August 12, 2014 at 8:05 pm #

Bill, welcome back! I hope you’ve been having a wonderful summer! I’ve slow down from blogging this summer as well. It’s amazing how busy summers become. Thanks for your wonderful comments as always! So glad to have convinced you that you don’t need meat in a taco. We eat a lot of veggie tacos. In fact, nowadays, I find ground meat tacos boring. :)

12. Joyti August 12, 2014 at 1:07 am #

Oh wow, these sound amazing. I don’t normally eat portobellos (I eat lots of mushrooms though) but I’ll have to pick some up and try these. They sound amazing. And the sauce – YUM!

• mj August 12, 2014 at 7:39 am #

Thanks Joyti! We don’t normally eat portabellos either, but as a meat substitute, they work great and are so easy to grill. Hope you get a chance to try these tacos. They are quite good if I do say so myself. :)

13. Katerina August 12, 2014 at 12:17 am #

I love tacos and these one with grilled veggies are looking so tasty and inviting!

• mj August 12, 2014 at 7:38 am #

Thanks Katerina! It’s pretty interesting how grilling can bring out different flavors in vegetables.

14. minnie@thelady8home August 11, 2014 at 4:23 pm #

Beautiful landscapes of gorgeous locales, and the tacos are lovely. Vegetarian too! Bookmarked.

• mj August 11, 2014 at 8:07 pm #

Thanks Minnie!

15. Donalyn@TheCreeksideCook August 10, 2014 at 9:57 am #

Such lovely photos MJ – what beautiful scenes those are!

Love these tacos too – there is something about zucchini and Mexican inspired food that is just so good and I love everything about this combination!

• mj August 10, 2014 at 9:59 pm #

Thanks Donalyn! Pagosa is a beautiful place. You do see a lot of zucchini and other squash in Mexican food. I’m not sure why, but squash and chile is a great combination.

16. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles August 9, 2014 at 10:16 am #

Did somebody mention cold beer? :)

You’re right, words aren’t big enough for those beautiful images… what a visual feast you and Bobby were treated to in Pagosa Springs. Whoa. And how about these portabello tacos? You’re on fire Mj!! Love full flavored, satisfying meals like this that come together easily — summer eating at its best. I want to drizzle your gorgeous chile-yogurt sauce all over my soft boiled eggs this morning :) I know I would find a million uses for it. Gorgeous recipe (and beautiful images – love the bokeh in that first snap ;-) ).

• mj August 10, 2014 at 9:58 pm #

Yep – cold Green chile beer no less. Actually these tacos are on fire. :) That red chile – yogurt sauce is somewhat tame, but still provide a nice kick. And yes, it would be pretty good on the morning eggs. Thanks Darlin!

17. Sissi August 9, 2014 at 8:48 am #

MJ, I think you are the only person in the world able to make tacos look so elegant and sophisticated! Having read the whole recipe, I’m sure I’d enjoy every single bit. And the sauce… the funniest thing is that your sauce reminds me in colour my sour cream and gochujan (Korean chile paste) sauce! And from what I read, yours is actually quite close in ingredients! Did you know that Portobello mushrooms are the button mushrooms but simply older? I learnt it reading several blogs and thinking… we don’t have this mushroom here, but then I checked and learnt that actually we do :-) Here it’s just called the same but is bigger! I’m looking forward to use them with tacos!
    I was going to write something about the landscapes, but when I saw Green Chile beer, I got completely blown away! It sounds extraordinary!

• mj August 10, 2014 at 9:55 pm #

You’re so sweet Sissi! Thanks! Yes, the sauce is very close to your sour cream and gochujan sauce. I’m sure the flavors are different, but the spiciness is still there in both. I learned about portabello recently as well. Bobby was reading a book on mushrooms and it brought it up. So glad you can get them there! They are pretty expensive here, but worth it. Actually, I was blown away by the green chile beer. It was weird because it smelled like green chile, but didn’t really taste like green chile. It was quite good and I’m not a beer drinker. :)

18. Dedy@Dentist Chef August 9, 2014 at 1:39 am #

Damn, the title is already seducing me!!!
    healthy and tasty,
    the photographs made me drolling even more……

• mj August 10, 2014 at 9:47 pm #

Thanks so much Dedy! They are healthy and tasty!

19. ChgoJohn August 8, 2014 at 11:22 pm #

These tacos sound fantastic, MJ. Thanks, too, for the tip about s=using foil to grill a large number of slices. WIthout it, I would have burned half, to be sure. Pagosa Springs looks like a wonderful spot for a little R&R with good friends. The pictures are beautiful.

• mj August 10, 2014 at 9:45 pm #

Thanks so much John! And you are most welcome about the aluminum foil tip. It works quite well no matter how many mushrooms you have.

20. Debra August 8, 2014 at 3:26 pm #

You’re tugging at my heart strings with this recipe and those photos. Looks like a great time was had by all!

• mj August 10, 2014 at 9:43 pm #

Thanks Debra! I think Pagosa is another place you’d love to visit!

21. Nami | Just One Cookbook August 8, 2014 at 11:54 am #

I’m not a vegetarian but I love Portabello mushrooms so much that I don’t need any meat as long as mushrooms are in the sandwich, burgers or tacos! This looks amazing, and as my heat tolerance has been improving, I’m enjoying more and more spicy food (slowly). This is a perfect weekend meal with family!

• mj August 10, 2014 at 9:39 pm #

Thanks Nami! The portabellos in these tacos do keep one from missing meat. They are already meaty. Glad to read that you’re working on your tolerance to spicy foods. For this sauce you can always add more yogurt if needed. Hope you and your family enjoy!

22. Lori August 8, 2014 at 10:01 am #

I love your recipe, I make something similar to this, but not as involved.

• mj August 10, 2014 at 9:33 pm #

Thanks Lori! These are actually pretty easy to make, but yes, more involved than some.

23. Angie (@angiesrecipess) August 8, 2014 at 6:17 am #

Those photos of Pagosa Springs are breathtakingly beautiful, MJ. I love any kind of mushroom. These portabello tacos are fantastic.

• mj August 10, 2014 at 9:32 pm #

Thanks Angie! Pagosa Springs is a beautiful place, so it’s very hard to not take a good picture. :)

24. Carol at Wild Goose Tea August 7, 2014 at 7:27 pm #

You take evocative photos. I really feel a sense of place. This kind of a taco never entered my head. Duh. I love portabello mushrooms too. The chile yogurt sauce is a terrific idea.

• mj August 10, 2014 at 9:25 pm #

Thanks so much Carol! If you love portabellos, then you’ll love these tacos!

25. Choc Chip Uru August 7, 2014 at 4:50 pm #

You know what would complete me right now? Your incredible tacos with an extra dollop of that yoghurt sauce complete with a boat out on the lovely reservoir :D

Choc Chip Uru

• mj August 10, 2014 at 9:24 pm #

Sounds very, very lovely Uru! Thanks!

26. ZazaCook August 7, 2014 at 12:20 pm #

This is making my mouth water.

• mj August 10, 2014 at 9:23 pm #

Thanks Zaza and thanks for stopping by!

27. Viviane Bauquet Farre August 7, 2014 at 11:12 am #

MJ, these tacos look so very good.. and the chili sauce sounds amazing! Beautiful photos, too…

• mj August 10, 2014 at 9:17 pm #

Thanks so much Vivianne!

28. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz August 6, 2014 at 6:41 pm #

Amazing pics of nature and the tacos looking delicious. Portabello are so perfect for carnivores enjoying a veggie meal, the are so meaty (pardon the pun). Greta sauce to go with it too!

• mj August 6, 2014 at 9:46 pm #

Thanks Evelyne! I think it’s the meatiness of the portabello that does make it such a delight with vegetarians and in vegetarian meals. My husband isn’t as big of a fan of portabello as I am, but with that sauce, he loves these tacos. :)

29. Liz August 6, 2014 at 6:34 pm #

I wouldn’t miss the meat one bit! And what a gorgeous spot for a get away!

• mj August 6, 2014 at 9:44 pm #

Thanks Liz! You’re right – you won’t miss the meat!

30. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef August 6, 2014 at 6:22 pm #

I want to go there!!

These tacos are a perfect meatless meal for me.

• mj August 6, 2014 at 9:44 pm #

Thanks Maureen! You certainly don’t miss the meat with these. :)

31. John@Kitchen Riffs August 6, 2014 at 2:19 pm #

Portabello mushrooms have such great flavor, don’t they? I use them all the time in cooking, but don’t think I’ve ever used them in tacos. Or in anything southwestern or vaguely Mex, for that matter. Love this, and that red chile sauce looks so terrific. Thanks.

• mj August 6, 2014 at 9:42 pm #

Totally agree John! I also love the meatiness of the portabello. A great substitute for meats. :) It’s surprising how well all types of mushrooms work with southwestern and Mexican foods. I use mushrooms a lot. Thanks for the comments!