Raspberry Mole’ Jam

Raspberry Mole' Jam made with spice, red chile and a touch of cocoa. mjskitchen.com

Have you ever had black molé (aka Molé Negro)?  Molé Negro is a dark, rich, spicy sauce that is one of the seven molés of Oaxaca, Mexico. I made it once with great success, but it was a very time consuming and laborious process, so much so that the next time I wanted to make it, I wimped out and bought some from the local Mexican market. My love of molé is what drove me to make this  Raspberry Molé Jam. I wanted a sweet and spicy jam with a little nuttiness, and the richness of a black molé.  For this jam, raspberries are cooked down with a little sugar (less than normal), minced dates, almonds, red chile, chocolate and spice.  You’ll be hooked on the first bite.

The recipe below is for one jar of jam.  It does not use pectin and does not require a sterilization process for the jar.  Just use a very clean jar and lid.  Once poured, keep the jam in the refrigerator until it’s all gone, which won’t be for very long.

Nutmeg – You can use a dash of powdered nutmeg or a couple of grates from a whole nutmeg (my preference).

Chile Powders – There are several chile powders that you could use.  Just choose 2 to 3 of your favorites and combine them to make 1 ½ to 2 teaspoons.  Of course the spiciness of the jam will be determined by the heat levels of the chile powders that you choose, so keep that in mind.  A hot chile will yield a spicy hot jam which could limit how you use the jam. I choose to use medium heat level chile powders for a mildly spiced jam that still goes well with peanut butter.

Favorite Uses:

The Cooking Process – After making several jars of jam using this method, you’ll soon be able to know when the jam is done by the sound it makes when stirring at a full boil and the look of the jam as you stir.  Because of the 4:1 ratio of fruit to sugar in this particular jam, this will be a softer jam than jams that use a 2:1 ratio or more.  For the amount of berries used in this recipe, the cooking time should take no longer than 18 minutes at full boil.  A larger batch will take longer while a smaller batch (i.e., 12 ounces of berries) should probably be ready in 15 minutes.

If you like like this Raspberry Mole Jam, then you’ll probably enjoy the other jams and preserves here in MJ’s Kitchen.

Tags: , , , ,

58 Responses to “Raspberry Mole’ Jam”

1. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles August 9, 2014 at 9:33 am #

I’m in love with this recipe MJ!! We have a tradition of making buttermilk scones on Christmas morning and the standard topping is a hot pepper jelly — your jam has just replaced that idea. It’s precisely the zing we look for with the added pleasure of the mole/cocoa influence – does it get any better? What an ingenious recipe – can’t wait to try it.

• mj August 10, 2014 at 9:56 pm #

Oh my – this would be yummy on buttermilk scones!!! Thanks Kelly!

2. Nami | Just One Cookbook August 8, 2014 at 12:55 am #

I received several kinds of homemade jams from a fellow blogger the other day and oh my gosh I’m completely hooked. Homemade is so delicious. I’ve been telling myself to make my own jams but I have been busy (I meant lazy). Seeing your jam makes me more inspired!!

• mj August 10, 2014 at 9:31 pm #

“Homemade is so delicious” – you’ve got that right Nami! I “bought” a jar of jam a few years back, my first in about 20 years. It wasn’t even close. I’m glad you’ve discovered it and hope ot see you making your own soon. :)

3. Raymund August 6, 2014 at 1:47 pm #

I would love to sandwich this between freshly cooked scones

• mj August 6, 2014 at 9:41 pm #

Oh that sounds good!!! Thanks Raymund!

4. Katerina August 6, 2014 at 1:49 am #

I have tried jam with meat for the first time in Germany many many years ago and i loved that contradiction of flavors. This jam sounds like the perfect accompaniment to a grilled meat!

• mj August 6, 2014 at 9:40 pm #

Thanks Katerina! Meat and jam is a surprisingly good combination of flavors and textures. Glad that you have discovered that combination. This is a great jam to use with meats.

5. Asmita August 5, 2014 at 10:36 am #

Gorgeous jam. Love that deep, red color! So inviting!

• mj August 6, 2014 at 9:38 pm #

Thanks Asmita! I can see using this in one of your fabulous cookie recipes!

6. Joyti August 5, 2014 at 12:31 am #

Oh wow, this sounds like my kind of jam! Raspberries and all of those spices, yum!

And it looks really pretty too :)

• mj August 6, 2014 at 9:37 pm #

Thanks so much Joyti! When it’s cold I love adding it to atole and curling with a good book. :)

7. Swathi August 4, 2014 at 10:35 pm #

This is one of the delicious yummy jam Love those fresh raspberry the spice rich jam pinning

• mj August 6, 2014 at 9:36 pm #

Thanks so much Swathi! It’s not too hot so even your kids might enjoy it.

8. Shashi @ runninsrilankan August 4, 2014 at 7:11 am #

I have tried mole before but have never thought to combine it with raspberries to make jam – what a fantastic idea – not to mention what a fabulous flavor combo!

• mj August 4, 2014 at 8:49 am #

Thanks Shashi! I’ve tried this jam with strawberries and it didn’t work. The raspberries, the chile, and the chocolate was such a great combo!

9. Hotly Spiced August 4, 2014 at 4:15 am #

What a beautiful jam and your images are gorgeous, MJ. I’m sure your jam has beautiful flavour with all the spices xx

• mj August 4, 2014 at 8:48 am #

Thanks so much Charlie! Glad to see that you ladies made it back from NY safe and sound with huge smiles. :)

10. Thalia @ butter and brioche August 4, 2014 at 2:47 am #

i have never tried mole negro before.. definitely on my list of things to try! this jam looks delicious.. thanks for sharing the great recipe!

• mj August 4, 2014 at 8:46 am #

Thanks Thalia! There is nothing like Mole Negro and everyone needs to try it at least once in their lives. It’s one of the most complex sauces I’ve ever had and certainly one of the best.

11. Bam's Kitchen August 3, 2014 at 9:42 pm #

This is such a unique recipe. Love the sweet and the spice together. You know this might be just perfect with the grilled pork tenderloin I am making tonight. Take Care, BAM

• mj August 4, 2014 at 8:45 am #

Thanks Bam! You’re right – it would go great with grilled pork tenderloin! :)

12. Sissi August 3, 2014 at 6:19 am #

I have fallen in love with this jam! So creative and so…. perfect for me ;-) Now that I think, I prepare every year something similar with strawberries, but slightly more liquid… I often add aji panca, a kind of smokey dried chile and it gives the whole sauce has a deeper smokey flavour. If I ever see raspberries at reasonable prices (they are horribly expensive here and in neighbouring France too), I will definitely try your amazing recipe!

• mj August 3, 2014 at 7:57 pm #

Thanks so much Sissi! I love your jam with strawberries and aji panca! I need to make that next. I actually made this mole’ jam once with strawberries and didn’t like it as much, but it was mainly due to the texture and some to the flavor. The raspberries work great here, but I can understand how expensive they can be. That’s why I wait until they are in season. Once shipped from Chile, I pay and arm and a leg. :)

13. Terra August 2, 2014 at 10:27 pm #

Oh wow, what a great idea. Love the idea of adding raspberries. I don’t think I have had black mole. I had a basic mole sauce in Tucson, like a simple chocolate mole. Your recipe sounds gorgeous! Hugs, Terra

• mj August 3, 2014 at 7:53 pm #

Thanks Terra!

14. Liz August 2, 2014 at 5:05 pm #

First of all, your jam photos are gorgeous! And I love the complexity of this jam, too…plain old raspberry jam never did it for me.

• mj August 3, 2014 at 7:51 pm #

Thanks so much Liz! Oh this is FAR from a plain old raspberry jam. :) I can see it being used in one of your cookies or breakfast cakes.

15. The Wimpy Vegetarian August 2, 2014 at 2:05 pm #

You have some of the most creative, delicious, dishes that are perfect for me. I just love this. It looks like a beautiful balance of fruit, smokiness, savory, and spice. I’ve got to try it. I’m starting some canning this coming week when my jars come in from Amazon, and this is on the list. I’m assuming it’s not canned for storing on the shelf because of the heat requirements that would harm the chocolate?

• mj August 3, 2014 at 7:49 pm #

Thanks so much Susan! Yes Susan, this jam can be canned. You’re using cocoa powder, so that shouldn’t be a problem with canning. I’d love to see how this cans. Please let me know if you do it.

16. Angie (@angiesrecipess) August 2, 2014 at 11:31 am #

This is something I will love too! The sweet and spicy flavours sound really good to me.

• mj August 3, 2014 at 7:45 pm #

Thanks Angie! I can see this served on one of your loaves of beautiful bread!

17. easyfoodsmith August 1, 2014 at 10:43 am #

I know I am going to love this. I posted something similar i.e. spice in my ‘sweet’ dish.

• mj August 3, 2014 at 7:45 pm #

Thanks Darlin! Headed over to check out your sweet and spicy dish.

18. Debra August 1, 2014 at 6:30 am #

I love the spicy pairing with raspberries. I bet a dollop of this is delicious with a sprinkling of feta. My stomach is growling! Never made mole but after seeing this recipe (and my recent exposure to “Like Water for Chocolate,” I am inspired).

• mj August 3, 2014 at 7:37 pm #

Thanks Debra! I think the mole’ spirits are talking to you Debra! :) Maybe it IS time to make a mole’. There are several types and they are all good.

19. Carol at Wild Goose Tea July 31, 2014 at 3:58 pm #

There is NO doubt that I would get hooked on the first bite. I pinned the recipe before I even read it. Raspberry is my favorite jam. And I love love mole. When I worked for a Mexican boss, whose son got married I was invited. to the wedding. Chicken mole was part of the sit down dinner. Most everyone there was Mexican and so it was made for their taste buds. My lips just about burned off, but it was SO good I ate it anyway including seconds.

• mj July 31, 2014 at 9:06 pm #

Thanks so much Carol! The first mole’ I ever ate was made by an old Mexican woman who couldn’t speak English, but she understand all of the MMMMMMMMMs going on around the table and gave us all a big smile. :)

20. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz July 31, 2014 at 11:57 am #

MJ this jam looks AMAZING. Onions???? Really? So curious. I do love mole but never make it because of the process. I know it is more rewarding but oh well. This jam is a great way to get a hint of it in a sweet taste.

• mj July 31, 2014 at 9:02 pm #

Thanks so much Evelyne! Yes, it does have a little bit of onions – a very strange ingredient for jam. :) This jam does provide a slight “hint” of mole, but it’s not near as complication. It’s quite similar in its depth of flavor though. Hope you get a chance to make it.

21. Linda @ Roti n Rice July 31, 2014 at 9:07 am #

My kind of jam. Looks really good! Would love to give it a try. :) BTW, I hope you are having a great summer.

• mj July 31, 2014 at 8:59 pm #

Hey Linda! Thanks so much for stopping by! Yes, I am having a good summer and hope you are having the same! Enjoying lots of berries this summer. :)

22. Minnie@thelady8home July 31, 2014 at 8:43 am #

This jam looks and sounds so Yumm! :D The photographs are fab.

• mj July 31, 2014 at 8:58 pm #

Thanks so much Minnie!

23. ChgoJohn July 31, 2014 at 1:36 am #

I found you! Thanks, BlogLovin!
    This jam mole sounds terrific, MJ, This is the time of year when I start looking for things to use in my Christmas gift baskets. So far, I’ve got a batch of cherry liqueur fermenting on the umbrella table in the yard. A jar of this jam will be very well-received. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us. :)

• mj July 31, 2014 at 8:58 pm #

Thanks so much John! Isn’t Bloglovin great!! So sorry (and pretty scary) that it took you so much trouble to find me. Need to improve my SEO obviously! This does make a great Christmas present. I gave out jars last year with wonderful response. Love your idea of the cherry liqueur! YUM!

24. Dedy@Dentist Chef July 30, 2014 at 11:00 pm #

wow, finger licking good!!!
    i want that too with my pan seared sea bass right now….

• mj July 31, 2014 at 8:56 pm #

Thanks Dedy! I bet it would go great with a pan seared sea bass! Great idea!

25. Choc Chip Uru July 30, 2014 at 6:48 pm #

I haven’t actually heard of a mole’ jam before, but it does certainly sound good! Looks even better from your photos :D
    It looks delicious!

Choc Chip Uru

• mj July 31, 2014 at 8:55 pm #

Thanks so much Uru! I haven’t heard of mole jam either until I made it. :)

26. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef July 30, 2014 at 4:01 pm #

This is just brilliant. For just the two of us, this is the perfect amount.

• mj July 31, 2014 at 8:54 pm #

Thanks Maureen! It is the perfect size for the two of us, but we still go through it pretty fast. :)

27. Nisa Homey July 30, 2014 at 9:32 am #

I love your pictures and as always your recipes are a learning experience for me. I am also a big fan of refrigerated jams..

• mj July 30, 2014 at 10:05 am #

Thanks so much Nisa! I feel the same about your delicious recipes! :)

28. Zena Thomas July 30, 2014 at 9:16 am #

I just love your recipes! Earlier this morning I was searching your site for zucchini recipes, specifically to see if you have a chocolate zucchini cake that works in High altitude.

Thanks for posting this one. Why do you not recommend canning it? I love to can and this would make a great Christmas gift. Just wondering.

Sincerely, your friend in Los Alamos

• mj July 30, 2014 at 10:04 am #

Thanks so much Zena! I just emailed you a cake recipe. You might have to adjust it a bit for high altitude cooking, but after looking at the recipe, I’m not sure how you would change it. As far as canning this jam, I’m sure that you could can it, it’s just that I don’t can anymore. I did for a few decades and finally decided for various reasons to go with these single jars of jam on an as needed basis. :) I would be curious to know how it does can up, so if you do convert this into a large quality and can it, please let me know how it turns out.

29. John@Kitchen Riffs July 30, 2014 at 8:36 am #

I haven’t made a molé in ages and ages — it’s that time/effort thing. Really should just do it again — so good. Love this idea of this jam! Would never have thought to do a molé-inspired jam. Terrific and creative idea! And refrigerators jams and jellies are my favorite. Really nice — thanks.

• mj July 30, 2014 at 10:01 am #

Thanks so much John! I think this winter I’m going to try making a huge batch of mole’ so I can freeze some. It’s so good but with the long hours of toasting every single ingredient, you need lots of time and a cool kitchen. Summer is not the time to do it. :)