Herbaceous Mushrooms

Mushrooms stewed in olive oil and butter with a variety of fresh herbs. mjskitchen.com

Herbaceous Mushrooms is a simple dish that celebrates the umami of mushrooms and complements it with the combined flavors of fresh herbs.  The fun part of making this dish is walking out to the herb garden and sniffing and clipping the herbs that you want in the dish.  You can choose two or three different herbs or as many as six or seven.  For this particular batch, I used a sprig of sage, tarragon, Thai basil, oregano, a few sprigs of thyme and lemon balm.  Some groceries sell little packets of  a mix of fresh herbs which are great for this dish. With all of the herbs and the fact that umami is also a flavor enhancer (due to the presence of glutamate), the amount of salt needed for this dish is minimal.  I add just a touch of salt before baking, and that’s usually all I need.

Herbaceous mushrooms is an extremely easy dish to prepare and makes a flavorful side for just about entree’.  Because of the meatiness of the mushrooms, this dish could also be the entree’.  Just add polenta and another vegetable for a side and you have a healthy, hearty, and very flavorful meal.

Fresh lemon balm as one of many herbs used to flavor stewed mushrooms. mjskitchen.com

The Dish - You’ll need a casserole dish or skillet large enough the spread the mushrooms out in one to two layers.

Mushrooms – For this particular batch I used button which I love because they stay firm and meaty even after 30 minutes in the oven. However, any kind of  mushrooms would work and a blend of mushrooms can be really exciting.  Just be sure not to cut the pieces too small and for smaller mushrooms, just leave them whole.

An FYI about mushrooms – Agaricus bisporus is the fungi commonly referred to as “mushroom”. The most common Agaricus bisporus is what we know as the white button mushroom. In recent years the mushroom industry has developed a brown version of the Agaricus bisporus which is known as “crimini”. When these mushrooms are allowed to grow and mature, the larger version is the portabello. Source: Kuo, M. (2004, January). Agaricus bisporus: The button mushroom Retrieved from the MushroomExpert.Com.

The Herbs – Just about any fresh herbs can be used, but be careful not to use too much of any one herb so that it doesn’t become overpowering. Rosemary and marjoram are two herbs that I find to be overpowering in this dish, so when I use then, I use them in small amounts.  Herbs that I suggest include oregano, tarragon, sage, mint, lemon balm, thyme, lemon thyme, basil (all kinds), parsley, and chives.

Sea Salt – My favorite for this recipe is Truffle sea salt which is appropriate since this is a mushroom dish.  However, regular sea salt is just fine. As I mentioned before, use salt sparingly.  It’s easy to over salt mushrooms.  If you are afraid of oversalting, then wait to add the salt. Taste the mushrooms after they have cooked and salt to taste.

What combination of herbs would you use for these herbaceous mushrooms?

Tags: , ,

44 Responses to “Herbaceous Mushrooms”

1. Terra August 2, 2014 at 10:21 pm #

Mushrooms are my favorite, love them on anything. This recipe sounds really delicious. I bet they would be awesome on a homemade pizza…..YUM! Hugs, Terra

• mj August 3, 2014 at 7:52 pm #

Thanks Terra! Oh yes, they would be awesome on a pizza! I put them on a hamburger the other night. YUM!

2. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen July 30, 2014 at 3:46 am #

This looks like something I’d eat with fried garlic rice! Yummy!

• mj July 30, 2014 at 9:59 am #

Well, now that sounds delicious! Thanks Peachy!

3. Viviane Bauquet Farre July 28, 2014 at 10:37 am #

“The fun part…is walking out to the herb garden and sniffing and clipping the herbs that you want in the dish.” MJ, I know EXACTLY what you mean! And I love that you bake them, too. The dish looks marvelous.

• mj July 29, 2014 at 10:21 pm #

Thanks Viviane! Aren’t herb gardens a must? I don’t know what I would do without mine.

4. Karen (Back Road Journal) July 28, 2014 at 5:26 am #

The earthy flavor of mushrooms and herbs are such a nice combination. Delicious.

5. Sissi July 27, 2014 at 10:33 am #

At first it looks like a simple mushroom dish, but first of all the baking process is really original (I think most people never bake mushrooms, unless they are stuffed). Secondly, and most of all, the herb layer sounds like an extraordinary creative idea. I cannot even imagine how enticing the aroma must be… It’s perfect for a garden owner (even a balcony gardener, like me ;-) ).

• mj July 29, 2014 at 10:19 pm #

Thanks Sissi! It’s interesting that several people have said that baking mushrooms is different. I didn’t realize that because I’ve been baking mushrooms for years. Yes, I do saute them as well, but I find it actually easier to bake them. And yes – the aroma is mouthwatering. How is your balcony garden doing this year?

6. Angie (@angiesrecipess) July 27, 2014 at 4:14 am #

I would devour the whole dish! I love to bake them with herbs, but I usually just used thyme and rosemary..have to try it with other herbs next time. Thanks for sharing, MJ.

• mj July 29, 2014 at 10:16 pm #

Thanks Angie! Oh, you really need to branch out and try more herbs with mushrooms. They really soak up the flavors.

7. Roz July 26, 2014 at 2:50 pm #

Whenever my husband and I go out to a nice restaurant for dinner, I always order the sautéed mushrooms and gobble them up all by myself since he does not eat mushrooms . . . his loss, my gain! I adore the little ‘fungi’ and will definitely keep this recipe to prepare!!!!!

thank you MJ!
    Roz

• mj July 29, 2014 at 10:16 pm #

Thanks Roz! Well, at least you get the mushrooms to yourself. I have to share. :)

8. Carol at Wild Goose Tea July 25, 2014 at 3:35 pm #

You are so right. I love picking herbs in my garden. I don’t grow veggies much anymore—–the flowers have taken over, but I love my herbs. I also love mushrooms.
    So this works for me.

9. latest health tips July 25, 2014 at 7:28 am #

I love mushrooms !

10. Katerina July 25, 2014 at 2:11 am #

I love mushrooms and I always sneak them in food! This is a simple yet very tasty dish I would love to eat!

11. Deena Kakaya July 24, 2014 at 4:14 pm #

The simple things are just the best, when properly done-as you demonstrate. I have such fun eating mushrooms cooked in butter, cumin, garlic and salt..on good bread…simple x

• mj July 29, 2014 at 10:15 pm #

Thanks Deena! Oh, your mushroom dish sounds delicious! I’ll have to give it a try.

12. ChgoJohn July 24, 2014 at 5:12 am #

I found you! I was beginning to wonder whether your blog was connected with the NSA. :)
    Mom used t make a dish very similar to this, though minus the lemon balm. While I was reading, I thought that this would go so well with polenta and, sure enough, you said the same thing, t’s good to be back, MJ. :)

• mj July 29, 2014 at 10:14 pm #

Well, Hello Stranger!!! So glad to see you back! Apparently, you made it through the security check. :) The lemon balm was quite nice in this dish. I’m thinking of making it next time with just lemon balm and thyme. YUM!

13. Dedy@Dentist Chef July 24, 2014 at 2:36 am #

Sometimes the best dish is the simplest one, good job my friend!!!

14. Nami | Just One Cookbook July 23, 2014 at 6:43 pm #

As a huge fan of mushrooms myself, delicious mushroom dish like this is never enough! I was going to grill the mushrooms for dinner tonight, but change of plan. Going to make this in a casserole dish to save my husband’s time on other grilled foods! I wish I had garlic infused oil though! Next time!!

• mj July 29, 2014 at 10:11 pm #

Thanks Nami! If you’re grilling mushrooms, then you love them as much as I do. I hope you get a chance to try these.

15. The Wimpy Vegetarian July 23, 2014 at 1:19 pm #

What a wonderful, simple way to use fresh herbs from the garden!

16. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz July 23, 2014 at 1:07 pm #

I did not appreciate mushrooms as a child but I am really learning to appreciate them now. I think this recipe, with all the wonderful herbs, roasted in the oven is fabulous.

17. Debra July 23, 2014 at 7:01 am #

I have never baked mushrooms. And, I love recipes that you can tweak your own way. This looks delicious.

18. Choc Chip Uru July 23, 2014 at 1:07 am #

My mum makes mushrooms in the morning often, I am sure she would love to try such a wonderful recipe :D

Choc Chip Uru

19. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles July 22, 2014 at 9:11 pm #

Simple perfection. There’s something about the combination of butter and mushrooms in itself that is simply irresistible (my mom, a French Canadian who is not afraid of using butter in her cooking :) got me hooked!) add fresh garden herbs and you bring the ecstasy to a whole other level. Agreed on the garden stroll… ah, nothing quite like summer. Gotta get me some truffle sea salt ;-).

• mj July 29, 2014 at 10:06 pm #

Oh butter and mushrooms – such a succulent combo. I do try to cut back on the use of butter, but it’s really hard not to add it to mushrooms. My grandmother use to churn butter, so we always had plenty of “real butter” that went in just about anything. And yes, you really need to find some truffle sea salt. It’s pretty awesome! Thanks Darlin!

20. Swathi July 22, 2014 at 8:18 pm #

This is delicious mushroom, I usually make soup or fry with spices, I will try you combo of herbs next time.

• mj July 22, 2014 at 8:42 pm #

Thanks Swathi! I also have a spice version, but with all of the fresh herbs I have right now, I decided to go with the herbs.

21. Liz July 22, 2014 at 7:59 pm #

I love a no-recipe recipe! I adore the flavor of thyme with mushrooms…and will try this winner soon!!

• mj July 22, 2014 at 8:40 pm #

Thanks Liz! This is one of the easiest recipe I’ve gotten to write here. :)

22. Donalyn@TheCreeksideCook July 22, 2014 at 4:58 pm #

These mushroom look just perfect MJ – and I agree about the beauty of a stroll through the herb garden when you are planning what to make! Best thing ever!

• mj July 22, 2014 at 8:38 pm #

Thanks Donalyn! There is nothing like having an herb garden in the summer.

23. Deb July 22, 2014 at 10:32 am #

A perfect summer recipe easy and bursting with seasonal flavor! My herb garden has gone wild! This is a perfect recipe to use my garden’s bounty.

24. ray July 22, 2014 at 9:28 am #

Mushroom is something we can’t have enough of in my family. We love mushroom. My son’s eyes would light up when he sees this dish. I’m sure this dish is something we would definitely enjoy. Have a good week, MJ. :)

• mj July 22, 2014 at 10:29 am #

Thanks Ray! I hope you get a chance to make this and that you son and the whole enjoy! My weekend starts tomorrow so it’s going to be a great week. :)

25. John@Kitchen Riffs July 22, 2014 at 9:27 am #

What an easy recipe! Like Maureen, I’ve never baked them either — always stovetop for me. Going to try this, and I have loads and loads of herbs growing. Terrific recipe — thanks.

• mj July 22, 2014 at 10:28 am #

Thanks John! If you’re like me, you have more herbs than you can deal with right now. I’ve already started drying for the winter. :)

26. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef July 22, 2014 at 6:31 am #

I love mushrooms but I’ve never baked them like this. I’ve always sauteed them with herbs. I’m definitely going to try this. We love our mushies!

• mj July 22, 2014 at 10:26 am #

Thanks Maureen! I saute’ them as well but a couple of years ago we started wrapping them in parchment and putting on the grill with whatever we were grilling. I found they yield an even meatier mushroom. When I saute’ them, I light to get them brown around the edges. Yum! :)

27. Gloria July 22, 2014 at 6:11 am #

Loved this yummy mushrooms.. Simple yet so yummy..

• mj July 22, 2014 at 10:24 am #

Thanks Gloria! They are yummy! :)