Aloo Paratha/Aloo ka Paratha: Potato stuffed flat bread

Indian flatbread stuffed with a spicy potato mixture by Zesty South Indian Kitchen mjskitchen.com

Bet some of you are probably thinking – Is MJ taking on Indian Cuisine?.  NO!  I’m going to leave that to the experts, and the expert that made these beautiful parathas (Indian flatbreads) is the lovely Swathi of the Zesty South Indian Kitchen.  I first introduced Swathi to you about a year ago when she asked me to share my Southwestern Pileup on her site.  Now she is doing me the great favor of sharing one of her authentic Indian recipes on my site.  Swathi is from Trivandrum Kerala, India, and currently living in Texas. Her Ph.D. studies in Microbiology allowed her to work in Japan, Sweden and the United States.  As a result of this worldwide exposure, she has a love of ALL foods and her site is full of delicious recipes from all around the world.  For this post I asked her to share a traditional Indian recipe and I was so thrilled when I saw these gorgeous pictures of paratha!!!  I love paratha and am thrilled that she is sharing this recipe you.  I hope you enjoy.

It’s all yours Swathi!

———————————————————————————

This is Swathi who blogs at Zesty South Indian Kitchen, and I am a stay at home mom of two beautiful kids and love to cook from scratch and also love fresh homemade bread.

Aloo paratha/Aloo Ka paratha is one of the famous North Indian recipe you can find in any Indian restaurant menu card next to Naan. My first encounter with aloo paratha/Aloo ka paratha happened during my Master’s study tour trip to Goa. I fell in love with it at that time. However my mom was not in a mood to make it for us. So my contact with aloo partha happened only during restaurant visits.

This time when I went to Mumbai, India, I was able to learn from the cook who comes to cook at my in-laws’ house. Even though she didn’t give me exact measures of each ingredient, I was able to pick up from what she cooked in front me. Every evening when she came, I would stand near the corner of kitchen window with a camera and notebook. Like an obedient student I would take notes while she was cooking.

Paratha/parantha is one of the most popular unleavened flat breads from the northern part of the Indian subcontinent and is made by with whole wheat flour in a griddle/skillet. Paratha is usually stuffed with boiled potatoes (as in aloo ka paratha), leaf vegetables, radishes, cauliflower, and/or paneer (Cottage-cheese). Paratha is usually eaten with dollop of butter or spicy condiments like pickles or some time elaborate meat or vegetable curries. Paratha is thought to have originated in Peshawar (currently a region in Pakistan) and then spread to all over the former northern parts of India. It began as a wholesome meal often eaten at breakfast. It is really filling so you can have it for your lunch and dinner. We had it as our dinner. In the Chandini chowk area of Delhi, there is a short section of shops entirely dedicated to selling these paratha. Even the place is called Paranthe wali Gali meaning “paratha selling Food Street”.

I can say that Norwegin Lefse and Finnish potato flat bread – Perunarieska can be distant cousin of this aloo paratha. The main difference between them is, in the former, two potatoes are mixed with flour to make flat bread,where as in aloo paratha, potato is filled as stuffing.

For this aloo ka paratha or parantha you need to make two things: first the dough and then the stuffing. Make a dough with little oil, salt, water and whole wheat. While dough is resting make the potato filing. First boil the potatoes then mash them and add spices and knead well to form dough. Make balls out for dough as well as the potato filling. Slightly flatten the whole wheat dough into thick rounds then place the filling and cover it. Press again to make a 6 inch diameter circle. Fry on a hot griddle or skillet, brushing with ghee on both sides as it cooks.

Here comes the recipe.

Thanks so much Swathi for sharing your recipe for

Aloo ka Paratha or Potato Stuffed Flatbread!

Tags: , ,

57 Responses to “Aloo Paratha/Aloo ka Paratha: Potato stuffed flat bread”

1. Ramona April 15, 2014 at 5:09 am #

Wow, these look fantastic. I have always wanted to make these. Great guest post by Swathi. :)

2. Giulietta | Alterkitchen April 2, 2014 at 11:16 am #

I love stuffed bread, and honestly this is one of my favorite!
    Great job, MJ

3. Asmita April 2, 2014 at 6:36 am #

One of my all time favorite Indian foods. Can eat these anytime of the day!
    Fantastic guest post!

4. Charles Smith April 1, 2014 at 4:16 pm #

That looks fab! An Indian restaurant near my old place in France used to serve great versions of this… and not so great ones with meat and some weird tomatoey sauce inside which I didn’t enjoy. Thanks for sharing this MJ – looks lovely!

5. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz April 1, 2014 at 10:12 am #

A fabulous guest post with a great recipe. Of course I love Indian foods but never made these. They look so thin to be stuffed. Looks so yummy.

• mj April 1, 2014 at 9:22 pm #

Thanks Evelyne! I thought the same thing – so thin to be stuffed.

6. Raymund March 31, 2014 at 12:50 pm #

Of all the cuisines I think Indian is the one I need to learn on, I see and ate lot of Indian dishes but I dont know how to make them like this one. A good curry is a must with flat breads like this

• mj March 31, 2014 at 9:08 pm #

Thanks Raymund for stopping by! I can’t wait to make them and from all of the comments and Swathi’s suggestions, I’m definitely going to have to make a curry to go with them.

7. Nancy/SpicieFoodie March 30, 2014 at 10:37 pm #

Hi MJ and Swathi! Indian food is one of our favourites. Thanks for sharing the paratha recipe — it’s one I’ld love to try out sometime. Looks delicious!

8. Nami | Just One Cookbook March 30, 2014 at 3:24 pm #

Hi Swathi! We love Aloo Paratha! Our neighbor used to make extra and deliver to our home because they know how much we love this. Now they moved away, and we haven’t had it for a while (except for those premade ones from Indian store). I’d love to make it from scratch one day… so much better. Thanks for the recipe, Swathi, and thank you MJ for introducing her and her blog!

9. Sissi March 30, 2014 at 8:56 am #

Hi Swathi! I’m thrilled to meet such an excellent Indian cook! I love Indian cuisine and even though I do cook from my Indian cookery books regularly, I have never dared making parathas… Yours look so gorgeous and perfect, I wish I could grab one through the screen :-)
    Thank you, MJ, for introducing Swathi!

• mj March 30, 2014 at 9:18 am #

And I’m SO happy to be able to introduce you to Swathi!!! You’re going to love browsing through her recipes! Thanks as always for your comments Sissi!

10. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles March 29, 2014 at 1:08 pm #

I love the idea of ‘loose measurements’ always a sign of authentic cooking in my books ;-). Thank you Swathi for this beautiful presentation of Indian flat bread. The ingredients in the stuffing are truly extraordinary — each one more mouthwatering than the next. The bread looks so beautiful too with the green herbs poking through. This is the first time I’ve come across mango powder; how great, must investigate that one further. Do you eat this potato bread as an appetizer before or alongside a meal (much like we would in North America) or is there a different custom with Aloo paratha/Aloo Ka paratha? I must try this; thank you!

• mj March 30, 2014 at 9:16 am #

Great comments as always Kelly!! Thanks!

11. easyfoodsmith March 29, 2014 at 11:02 am #

So good to see Swati guest posting for you MJ! I love Swati’s blog and I am especially a fan of her baked goodies. The aloo paranthas are a favorite and I can never tired of eating them. Delicious guest post :-)

• mj March 30, 2014 at 9:14 am #

Thanks so much!!! It’s good to see how many people already follow Swathi. She such an amazing cook! I’m thrilled that she shared some of her culture and flavors here.

12. Meena Kumar March 28, 2014 at 11:18 pm #

Hi MJ,
    Glad to land on this blog via Swathi’s.Just glanced thru some of ur posts u have some awesome recipes. Will come back soon :)

Swathi, as usual u have done a wonderful job, those parathas look awesome.

• mj March 30, 2014 at 9:13 am #

Thanks so much for stopping by and for your comments Meena K! Swathi does cook up a mean paratha, doesn’t she?! :)

13. Daniela March 28, 2014 at 6:13 pm #

Just discovered your blog through your visit at my FB page.
    Great recipes and beautiful pics. congrats, will be back for sure.
    The Parathas look amazing!

• mj March 30, 2014 at 9:11 am #

Thanks so much Daniela!! I’m so glad you found my blog and hope to see you again soon.

14. wok with ray March 28, 2014 at 11:38 am #

Hi MJ,

Thank you for sharing with us Swathi and her delicious bread. That plate of bread looks very delicious. It was nice meeting you Swathi and again, thank you MJ for sharing this post with a wonderful guest like Swathi. Have a nice weekend ladies. :)

• mj March 30, 2014 at 9:10 am #

Thank YOU Ray for your comment and you are most welcome! Please be sure to check out Swathi’s blog. She has some fabulous recipes!!!! Hope you’re having a wonderful weekend!

15. Zsuzsa March 28, 2014 at 7:50 am #

Peach Lady I had this once and I loved it! Thank you for this recipe. I confess I tried to make it a few times, I didn’t know it was called paratha. Mine was OK, but not nearly as good as the one the Indian lady made. I should give this recipe a try. I can’t eat hot things so flat-breads are the one thing I like to make from Indian cuisine.

• mj March 30, 2014 at 9:08 am #

Thanks Zsuzsa! Swathi sure makes this recipe sound easy doesn’t she, and of course, the outcome is perfection! I wish I could get her to ship me some because I know that mine would never come out as beautiful as hers.

16. Amila March 28, 2014 at 3:23 am #

Paratha look so perfect and inviting…I can have few of those…. :) Nice post

17. ATasteOfMadness March 27, 2014 at 8:46 pm #

What a delicious guest post! I am always looking for more potato recipes. This looks so good!

• mj March 30, 2014 at 9:06 am #

These do look delicious, don’t they?! Thanks for stopping by!

18. Candace March 27, 2014 at 7:18 pm #

These look fabulous, Swathi!

19. Liz March 27, 2014 at 6:43 pm #

So nice to find our friend, Swathi, guest posting for you! This flat bread looks outstanding! So tempting!

20. Carol at Wild Goose Tea March 27, 2014 at 4:56 pm #

Wow what interesting woman and an interesting post. I am going to bounce over and read her blog. Because I am very fond of Indian food. Our Indian restaurant closed up. So now I have to travel 2 hrs to Seattle to get my ‘hit’. I was completely taken by surprise by how simple this recipe is. I love flat breads. Guess what—I am not intimidated. Yay!

• mj March 27, 2014 at 8:13 pm #

I agree Carol! Swathi is an interesting woman. I would have never thought of these parathas being made by a PhD microbiologist. :) She’s smart, a real sweetheart and a great cook!! I can tell she’s a great mother as well.

21. Surya March 27, 2014 at 1:58 pm #

Hi MJ,
    I came thru Swathi’s blog and this is my first time in here. I loved here but what I loved most is how you take time to acknowledge and reply to all comments. Simply wow.

Keep up the good work and have a wonderful day.

Love
    Surya.

• mj March 27, 2014 at 8:10 pm #

Thanks so much for your nice comments Surya and for stopping by! I hope you have wonderful day as well. Hugs, MJ

22. Katerina March 27, 2014 at 5:13 am #

Thank you so much for presenting to us some of the Indian customs and also the preparation of this delicious flat bread. Great guest post! Thank you both!

• mj March 27, 2014 at 8:08 pm #

I agree! I was glad that Swathi include her story along with the recipe. I love how she got the recipe. :)

23. suhaina March 26, 2014 at 10:30 pm #

WOW.u have a lovely space here. Came from Swathis space. Aloo paratha is our all time fav..

• mj March 27, 2014 at 8:06 pm #

Thanks so much for stopping by and saying hello Suhaina!! Very nice to meet you.

24. Zoe March 26, 2014 at 9:09 pm #

Hi MJ,

Just hop over from Swathi’s blog. Her aloo paratha looks delicious. I know that Swathi’s blog is one of the best with comprehensive range of fantastic Indian and many other cuisine.

This is a great post!

Zoe

• mj March 26, 2014 at 10:06 pm #

Thanks so much for your comment Zoe and for stopping by!!

25. sathya March 26, 2014 at 6:37 pm #

This looks like a perfect guest post MJ .I am from india and i know how indians love their parathas .Nice to know more about you swathi .

• mj March 26, 2014 at 10:05 pm #

Thanks so much Sathya! Thanks for stopping by!

26. rebecca March 26, 2014 at 6:05 pm #

wow one of my favs nice to meet you and love Swathis blog

• mj March 26, 2014 at 10:04 pm #

Nice to meet you too Rebecca! Thanks for stopping by!

27. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef March 26, 2014 at 12:45 pm #

I’ve eaten this before but I always figured you had to have something special in your DNA to make these successfully at home. I’m going to give it a try. Lovely guest post!

• mj March 26, 2014 at 10:03 pm #

I have always thought the same thing Maureen. But since Swathi makes it looks so easy, I want to give them a try myself. Thanks for the comment!

28. Swathi March 26, 2014 at 12:14 pm #

Thanks MJ for giving the wonderful opportunity.

• mj March 26, 2014 at 10:02 pm #

You are most welcome and thanks for such a fabulous recipe Swathi!! I’m so excited to have it here.

29. Choc Chip Uru March 26, 2014 at 11:41 am #

What a lovely looking paratha, my favourite part of eating Indian with many curries :D

Choc Chip Uru

• mj March 26, 2014 at 10:01 pm #

Thanks Uru! I have this recipe and a curry on my meal list for next week. Paratha and curry sounds wonderful!

30. Lady Lilith March 26, 2014 at 9:56 am #

Looks perfect for dinner.

• mj March 26, 2014 at 10:00 pm #

Thanks Lady Lilith!

31. John@Kitchen Riffs March 26, 2014 at 9:25 am #

What a terrific guest post! I’ve had aloo paratha often in restaurants, and although I do make some Indian breads, have never tried this one. I should — Swathi makes it so easy! Really like this, a lot. Thanks.

• Swathi March 26, 2014 at 12:20 pm #

Glad you liked the recipe of aloo paratha. John thanks.

• mj March 26, 2014 at 9:59 pm #

Thanks so much John! Swathi does make it look so easy and so good, doesn’t she! I’m so pleased to have this recipe on my site!

32. Gloria March 26, 2014 at 8:54 am #

Wow!!! The aloo parathas look simply delicious.. I’m drooling over the pics.. Great post by you both..

• mj March 26, 2014 at 9:58 pm #

Thanks Gloria! Swathi makes a mean paratha doesn’t she? :)

1. Aloo Paratha, Aloo ka Paratha: Potato stuffed flat bread Guest post for MJ's Kitchen - Zesty South Indian Kitchen - March 26, 2014

[…] potato stuffed flat bread  for the guest post, so friends please hope over to   MJ’S blog to see the full recipe and share your […]