Spice it up with Fiery Chocolate Shots

Chocolate shots with ginger, chile, and Baileys Irish Cream mjskitchen.com

Chocolate “shots” might not be the best name for this chocolate delight, because “shots” are normally drank all at once, in one shot.  That’s not what you’ll want to do here.  This sweet and spicy, chocolatey beverage is best sipped so you can enjoy all of its goodness several times over.  These Fiery Chocolate Shots are made with chocolate, milk and cream, a bit of ginger, urfa biber chile powder, and Baileys Irish Cream.  A great after dinner delight for date night.

Yes, I hear you….what the heck is urfa biber chile powder?  Well, I didn’t know myself until recently when I received a little package with a few vials of some very unique chile powders from Ford’s Fiery Foods and Plants, a seed and plant company in Eugene, Oregon, specializing in rare, hot and cool pepper varieties.  One of the chile powders was the urfa biber, a relatively sweet pepper from Turkey with a hint of raisins or dates, and a medium heat level.  This was the mildest chile in the package, and because of its sweetness, this is the chile I decided to use in this recipe.  The flavor and sweetness of the pepper complemented the chocolate, and the heat level was just right for the amount of spice I was looking for in these shots.  When you’re drinking, rather than eating your chocolate, you don’t want it to be so spicy hot that it burns your throat as you sip. But if you are like me, you do like a little spice with your chocolate.  So serve these to your favorite person and see what follows. :)

To learn more about Ford’s Fiery Foods and Plants and the other delicious chile powders that I received, see  below or click here.

Chocolate shots with ginger, chile, and Baileys Irish Cream mjskitchen.com

Chocolate shots with ginger, chile, and Baileys Irish Cream mjskitchen.com

The Chocolate – For the chocolate morsels, you can substitute with 2 ounces of your favorite chocolate.  Just adjust the sweetness to your personal tastes.

The Urfa Biber Chile Powder – As mentioned before, this is a relatively sweet chile with a medium to medium hot heat level.  Since I understand that most of you will not have this chile powder in your pantry, you can easily substitute any other medium spicy, sweet chile powder.  The Chimayo medium red chile powder that I used in my New Mexico style chocolate pudding makes a nice substitute.

Chocolate Pot or Chocolate de CremeNeed another idea for Valentine’s Day or date night?  Try these Chocolate Pots with a Hint of Coffee

Ford’s Fiery Foods & Plants

Ford’s Fiery Foods & Plants is a small business in Eugene, Oregon, that offers rare fresh pepper strains from Europe, the Middle east and South American from July-October every year. Many of these strains can only be found in their country of origin, but Fiery Foods is now offering them here in the US. In addition to selling the fresh peppers, it also is a licensed nursery which sells and ships starter plants from April through July. So if you love peppers and want to try growing a new variety, this company can help you out.

Vials of chile powder from fordsfieryfoodsandplants.com mjskitchen.comTo introduce me to its peppers, Fiery Foods sent me these vials of chile powder (left). Have you ever heard of any of these peppers?

Urfa Biber – A relatively sweet pepper from Turkey with a hint of raisins or dates, and some heat, but nothing that I would call “hot”.  This is the chile pepper that I used in this recipe.  The taste of the chile greatly complemented the chocolate and the heat level was just right for the amount of spice I wanted. It could easily be used in any dish that called for “chile powder”.

Pimente x Bhut – Quite hot but flavorful, earthy and smoky.  I haven’t used it yet, but I’ll let you know when I do.  I think this pepper would be great in a rub for beef or lamb.

Murupi Amerela – A Chinese pepper from the northern jungles of Brazil with a fruity, almost citrus flavor and hot.  I love this chile powder! I’ll be posting a recipe soon in which I used this powder.

Naga Viper – Created by a grower in England, this pepper is VERY HOT and extreme caution should be used when handling or using this pepper.  I tried a very small bit of it and knew it was too hot for me.  So I gave it to my brother-in-law, a lover of extreme heat!  You may remember him from the Green Chile Stew video.  Needless to say, he loved it!

Below are what these fresh peppers look like. I hope to have at least one of these growing my garden this summer.

Urfa Biber chile peppers from fordsfieryfoodsandplant.com mjskitchen.com

Urfa Biber

Pimenta de neyde x bhut peppers from fordsfieryfoodsandplants.com mjskitchen.com

Pimenta de neyde x bhut

Murupi Amerela Peppers from fordsfieryfoodsandplants.com mjskitchen.com

Murupi Amerela

The Naga Viper chile pepper from Fordsfieryfoodsandplants.com mjskitchen.com

Naga Viper

For more information on these and other peppers found at John’s Fiery Foods, click on over the Spicie Foodie’s post Chiles of the World: 6 Chiles You Gotta Try!

Disclaimer:  I did not receive any compensation for this post, just the vials you see in the picture.  The recipe and the opinion of the chile powders are my own.  Images of the fresh peppers, courtesy of Ford’s Fiery Foods and Plants.

These Fiery Chocolate shots have been added to the following blog hops:  Hearth & Soul   .

ybr_Button

Tags: ,

74 Responses to “Spice it up with Fiery Chocolate Shots”

1. Joanne T Ferguson February 28, 2014 at 6:53 pm #

G’day! How silky smooth! YUM MJ! I could go for one of these right now!
    Cheers! Joanne

2. Minnie@thelady8home February 18, 2014 at 9:01 pm #

I have tried eating chili chocolates and haven’t really liked them, but this makes me want to give it a try. Looks so delicious!!!

• mj February 20, 2014 at 8:44 am #

Oh Minnie – you really need to give it another chance. My favorite are these chocolate shots and chocolate pudding. YUM!

3. Charles February 18, 2014 at 3:35 pm #

Another knew chilli for me – I’d never heard of it MJ, it sounds nice. I still haven’t tried chocolate with chilli, can you believe it? Maybe I’m a bit chicken! Chocolate is one of my favourite things and I’m worried I’ll ruin it with chilli, but everyone raves about how awesome it is, so… perhaps it’s time I bit the bullet?!

4. Sanjeeta kk February 17, 2014 at 1:16 am #

Chocolate mixed with ginger and chilly…don’t know how would it taste like…but it does sound so exciting to me…what a beautiful idea, MJ! Will be making it this weekend…

• mj February 17, 2014 at 10:23 am #

Thanks Sanjeeta! I know how you like ginger, so I’m think you’re really going to like this chocolate shot. Let me know!

5. April @ The 21st Century Housewife February 16, 2014 at 7:38 am #

Your chocolate shots look wonderful, MJ, and they sound absolutely delicious. I was so interested to read about urfa biber chile powder – I like the idea of a hint of date flavour in a chili! Thank you for sharing this delicious date night treat with us at The Hearth and Soul hop :-)

• mj February 17, 2014 at 10:14 am #

Thanks so much April! I love finding new flavors and this one was a keeper.

6. Debra February 15, 2014 at 4:45 pm #

I am really intrigued by Ford’s and by these lovely “shots.” I would definitely savor these!

• mj February 15, 2014 at 9:51 pm #

Thanks Debra! Ford’s has some interesting varieties don’t they. Oh, these shots are to be savored. :)

7. Kate@Diethood February 14, 2014 at 4:39 pm #

Ohmygawd…talk about decadence! And it’s SO pretty!! Loving all that spice!

• mj February 15, 2014 at 9:42 pm #

Thanks so much Kate! Yes, sipping on one of these does feel quite decadent. :)

8. Sissi February 14, 2014 at 1:53 pm #

Already the idea of chocolate shots sounds fascinating, but your cup looks so irresistible, I think I’ll have at least a piece of chocolate to calm myself :-)
    The choice of chillies you describe makes me dream… I think if I had a real garden (not a small balcony), I would grow every single variety of chilli I could find (I mean chile of course!).

• mj February 15, 2014 at 9:39 pm #

Thanks so much Sissi! Oh I could see your garden now! If I do get my garden going this year, I hope to be able to grow several varieties myself.

9. John Ford February 14, 2014 at 12:20 pm #

Nice work. Wife and I are headed out of town this weekend for our 5 year wedding anniversary so this will make the perfect valentines day goody while freezing our booties off here in Oregon :)

Nice work MJ :)

• mj February 15, 2014 at 9:37 pm #

Thank John! It was fun and I’m really enjoying playing with your unique peppers. Happy anniversary! Hope you and your wife are having a wonderful weekend and staying warm.

10. Treat and Trick February 14, 2014 at 8:25 am #

Never tried such a recipe, I would like to explore. Tempting!..

11. Jerry West February 13, 2014 at 8:27 pm #

Contact John Ford at http://www.fordsfieryfoodsandplants.com. He can handle all your chile needs.

• mj February 13, 2014 at 10:28 pm #

He does have A lot of different types of chile plants, that’s for sure! Glad to be learning about them all.

12. Nancy/SpicieFoodie February 13, 2014 at 8:17 pm #

MJ, I’m so glad to see that John also sent you his pepper samples. I’ve loved them all — some are really spicy but really good too.:) Your hot chocolate sounds like the perfect drink. I can’t wait to try this with the urfa biber he sent me. Happy Valentine’s Day!

• mj February 13, 2014 at 10:27 pm #

WOW! So glad to hear that you received some of John’s chile powder as well! They are all so good, but I wasn’t able to handle the viper pepper. WOW! My mouth was on fire! All of the other I could handle and loved the flavors. Let me know how you use them. I’m still experimenting. :) Happy Valentine’s Day to you as well!

13. Raymund February 13, 2014 at 7:48 pm #

Before I never believed chocolates mixed with chillies would taste awesome until I tried a chocolate bark in Zurich. That transformed me, this drink definitely is one of those life transforming ideas

• mj February 13, 2014 at 10:25 pm #

It is definitely a transforming combination. :) I had if for the first time many years ago and ever since have had a very hard time NOT having chile with chocolate. :) Thanks for your comments Raymund!

14. Liz February 13, 2014 at 7:26 pm #

I have a nice supply of Urfa thanks to my sister in Colorado! And I’m afraid I might try to drink one of these decadent mugs in one shot…what a terrific treat!

• mj February 13, 2014 at 10:24 pm #

Very cool! Someone that knows the pepper and even has some. Does your sister grow them? Thanks so much Liz!

15. Bill February 13, 2014 at 12:49 pm #

Now that’s a perfect Valentine’s Day after dinner treat! Love the kick you put in these chocolate shots, MJ. There’s a chocolate shop around the corner from us that makes something very similar. They make them hot in the winter and they make a cold one in summer. Great post and something I want during the ice storm we’re having in Atlanta.

• mj February 13, 2014 at 10:23 pm #

Thanks so much Bill! Interesting – I would never have thought to serve these cold. I’ll have to try that once the weather warms up a bit. There’s something strange about “ice storm we’re having in Atlanta.” :) Stay warm my friend!

16. Soni February 13, 2014 at 9:43 am #

Wow, you had me at Spicy and Bailey’s :) Loving the combo and it seems perfect for me!IInteresting variety of peppers too.Would love to try them!

• mj February 13, 2014 at 10:21 pm #

Thanks Soni! Spicy and Bailey’s is hard to resist isn’t it? :)

17. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz February 12, 2014 at 11:33 am #

Oh how lucky to try all these rare peppers. Never heard of biber chile powder but very curious to try it now. And I love a spicy note in chocolate. This ‘shot’ looks amazing and I would sip it, make another, sip it and repeat!

• mj February 13, 2014 at 10:20 pm #

Thanks Evelyne! Definitely a sipper rather than a shot. In reference to the chile pepper, you can always order the plant and grow them at home. That’s what I plan to do. :)

18. Autism United February 12, 2014 at 11:18 am #

Your fiery little shots are going to be perfect for after dinner on Valentine’s Day, thanks so much for sharing.

• mj February 13, 2014 at 10:19 pm #

I’m glad you enjoyed them. Thank you!

19. Nami | Just One Cookbook February 11, 2014 at 11:50 pm #

Wow, this company must have everything you need for your cooking! ;) It’s cool to find a specialized store like this. And somehow you two found each other over love of pepper… <3 I love chocolate, all my life, BUT never had chocolate shot. I want to try it (not sure if my tummy can handle the heat though. Tee hee).

• mj February 13, 2014 at 10:17 pm #

Thanks Nami! Well, I don’t know about everything I need, but it definitely has a nice variety of chile peppers, plants and seeds. I think you would love these, but go with a mild chile pepper for the spice.

20. Maggie February 11, 2014 at 11:05 pm #

This hot chocolate shot looks wonderful! Especially for me, since it’s even quite difficult to get a decent cup of normal chocolate drink in Beijing. The ingredients seem easy enough, but I don’t have Urfa Biber. I definitely saw that onewhen I went to Istanbul several months ago, and now I regret not getting it back then….

I once had a super nice chocolate dessert at a fancy restaurant in Beijing, which idea is similar to this one, but they used Chinese chili pepper, if I didn’t remember wrong. I will definitely try out this recipe, but will try with chili pepper, because I love a spicy kick! :)

• mj February 13, 2014 at 10:16 pm #

Thanks Maggie! Any sweet and spicy chile pepper would work in these shots. I just thought the fruitiness of the urfa biber was a great complement to the chocolate. Hope you enjoy and thanks for stopping by!

21. Terra February 11, 2014 at 9:33 pm #

A spicy chocolate shot sounds like a perfect way to start any day. I have never heard of Urfa Biber Chile, but I love learning about a new chile!!! Spicy in anything makes me happy! Your spicy chocolate shots sound sooooooo delicious!!! Hugs, Terra

• mj February 13, 2014 at 10:14 pm #

Thanks Terra! Because of the Bailey’s, I’ve been “ending” my days with these. :) I know how you like spicy and I think you would love this urfa biber.

22. Gintare @Gourmantine February 11, 2014 at 1:50 pm #

So many spices in that little cup, everything sounds amazing (and I’m a huge chocolate fan to start with)!

• mj February 13, 2014 at 10:12 pm #

Thanks Gintare! One really does need to be a chocolate fan to want to “drink” their chocolate. :)

23. Deb February 11, 2014 at 10:59 am #

Oh, so many bright and vivid chiles and so little time! I’m thinking this is the perfect Valentine Day recipe. Brimming with chocolate and a little heat, just voluptuous!

• mj February 11, 2014 at 12:42 pm #

Oh how I know what you mean about so many chiles Deb!!! We’ll never get our fill of them will we? :) Yes, this is perfect for Valentines Day. Thanks Deb!

24. Nads February 11, 2014 at 6:50 am #

Why didn’t you post this a couple of days ago? We are having company for dinner tonight and I don’t have time to go shopping again. This would have been perfect (without the ginger for my people with allergies) for a light dessert or after dinner drink. I’m making pasta so I didn’t want anything heavy after. I really like chocolate with chili and YOU KNOW how we love our Bailey’s – re: Christmas 2013. There’s always next time.

• mj February 11, 2014 at 12:41 pm #

Whoops – bad timing on my part. :) allergies to ginger? Really? did I know that already? thanks for the reminder. Well, since you can’t serve it tonight, you can always serve it for maybe Valentine’s Day? :) Yes, in fact, when I bought this bottle of Baileys the other day I thought of Christmas 2013. Fun times! Thanks as always for your comments Nads!

25. Katerina February 11, 2014 at 2:49 am #

OMG how much I would love to have such a shot right now. I have a sore throat and I feel a little under the weather!

• mj February 11, 2014 at 12:37 pm #

Thanks Katerina! Yep, these would be quite soothing for a sore throat as well as clear up any sinus problems. :) Hope you feel better soon.

26. Choc Chip Uru February 11, 2014 at 2:32 am #

I can almost tastes the shots right now, I adore this delicious chocolate :D

Choc Chip Uru

• mj February 11, 2014 at 12:36 pm #

Thanks Uru! YOU would definitely enjoy these. :)

27. Gomo | cHow Divine February 10, 2014 at 8:47 pm #

Ack! I so want this right now. It looks so good, especially on a cold night. I’m always learning something on your site MJ! I’ve never heard of Urfa Biber, but I have a feeling I’ll love it. And I’m sure it’s lovely in hot chocolate.

• mj February 11, 2014 at 12:36 pm #

Thanks so much Gomo! I know how you like spicy, so yes, you most likely would enjoy urfa biber peppers.

28. Jodee Weiland February 10, 2014 at 7:55 pm #

Another wonderful recipe…I love your recipes! This looks awesome…what a great idea, MJ!

• mj February 10, 2014 at 8:41 pm #

Thanks so much Jodee! Hope your week is off to a great start!

29. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles February 10, 2014 at 7:47 pm #

“Serve it to your favorite person and see what happens’ — heeheeh, I like your thinking here MJ ;-) and I love how you are always introducing us to new and wonderful pepper varieties. Urfa biber? Who knew! (I find myself referring to your Chile or Chili write-up frequently — thank you for that). I too love a little heat in my chocolate and would be all over these. What a great idea MJ!

• mj February 10, 2014 at 8:40 pm #

Caught that did you? Heeheeh is right. ;) Thanks so much for your comment and for letting me know that you reference my chile/chili page! You never know if people actually “read” things. Now I know. Always glad to introduce new flavors. We do love our spicy chocolate don’t we. ;)

30. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef February 10, 2014 at 5:05 pm #

Spicy Chocolate Sipper? :) Whatever you call it I want my name on the list. We don’t have any of those fancy chiles here. I do have a place I can order them and I’m eager to give this a try. Maybe when it turns a bit cooler though.

• mj February 10, 2014 at 8:35 pm #

Oh I love that name. Sipper – that’s perfect! :) Thanks! I tell Maureen – I can sip on these little drinks even in hot weather, but then I’m a chocolate fanatic. :)

31. Ramona February 10, 2014 at 4:07 pm #

Ooooo..these sound like fun!! I would love a few of these chocolate shots to warm me up on these cold winter days. :)

• mj February 10, 2014 at 8:33 pm #

Thanks Ramona! With the chile, they definitely warm you up. :)

32. Angie@Angie's Recipes February 10, 2014 at 12:39 pm #

Awesome clicks, MJ. Your chocolate shot looks incredible.

• mj February 10, 2014 at 8:32 pm #

Thanks so much Angie!

33. Giulietta | Alterkitchen February 10, 2014 at 9:56 am #

Delicious cocoa you made! I love the spicy flavors!

• mj February 10, 2014 at 8:30 pm #

Thanks Giulia! I know you enjoy spicy like I do. :)

34. John@Kitchen Riffs February 10, 2014 at 9:13 am #

I’ve never heard of urfa biber chile powder! But it sounds wonderful. I gotta look into Ford’s. I also have to look into making these chocolate shots! Totally wonderful recipe. Although I’m with you, I’ll be sipping this rather than gulping it in one go (something I’ve never understood about shots in the first place; I just don’t get the whole concept). Anyway, fun stuff — thanks.

• mj February 10, 2014 at 8:29 pm #

Thanks John! You’re going to be quite impressed with Ford’s. They have an amazing choice of some very interesting peppers. I hope to grow 2 varieties this summer. Wait until you see what I make with the murupi amerela. In the meantime, I’ll sit here and enjoy sipping my chocolate shot with urfa biber. I think you’ll really like these. :)

35. Asmita February 10, 2014 at 8:38 am #

OMG!
    Beautiful!

• mj February 10, 2014 at 8:25 pm #

Thanks Asmita!

36. Laura @ Family Spice February 10, 2014 at 7:52 am #

Mmmm… this sounds so silky and delicious. Love the touch of chile, too.

• mj February 10, 2014 at 8:25 pm #

Thanks Laura! Silky and delicious is a great description for these. :)

1. Red Chile Sauce from Powder | MJ's Kitchen - June 18, 2014

[…] not only comes from the type of chile pepper (e.g., Big Jim, Anaheim, Cayenne, Chile de Arbol, Urfa Biber) but also from the dirt, the water, the altitude, and the climate of the area in which the chiles […]

2. Spicie Foodie Interviews Ford’s Fiery Foods and Plants | MJ's Kitchen - April 19, 2014

[…] weeks ago I introduced you to some of the chile peppers grown by Ford’s Fiery Foods and Plants, a small business in Eugene, Oregon, that offers rare fresh pepper strains from Europe, the Middle […]

3. Spicy Chocolate Shots | IMG Recipes| Share Your Favorite Recipes, Cooking Tips & Food Images - April 10, 2014

[…] Spicy Chocolate Shots Fiery Chocolate Shots with a touch of chile powder, ginger and Baileys Irish Cream.For full “Spicy Chocolate Shots” recipe click here […]

4. Chiles of the World: 6 Chiles You Gotta Try! | Chile lovers this one’s for you | Spicie Foodie - March 7, 2014

[…] characteristic have led to the pepper being used in sweet recipes. (Check out MJ’s Fiery Chocolate Shots recipe.) I found the heat to be mild with a slow build of heat that doesn’t last too long or get […]

5. Spicy Orange Roasted Sweet Potatoes | MJ's Kitchen - February 25, 2014

[…] murupi amerela.  This is a completely different pepper than the urfa biber I introduced in the Fiery Chocolate Shots – quite a bit hotter and more of a citrus flavor than that of dates. To learn more about […]