Green Chile Chicken Mushroom Soup

Green chile chicken soup with mushrooms and corn mjskitchen.com

A while back a friend asked me to come up with a relatively healthy recipe for a Green Chile Chicken and Mushroom Soup.  She had just had a it at a local restaurant and loved it.  However, when she asked how they made it, she was told that they used Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup as the base.  Being a very healthy eater, she was a little disappointed.  Not that there is anything really wrong with canned Cream of Mushroom soup (I’ve eaten enough of it in my lifetime), but fats make up 50% of the calories in one serving and the sodium content @ 870 mg/serving is pretty high. This is based on the FDA recommendation of no more than 2400 mg of salt / day and the American Heart Association recommendation of 1500 mg/day.  But getting back to my friend’s request, did I accept it?  You betcha! And last week everything came together to make it happen.

I had some leftover chicken and some mushrooms in the fridge and 5 pounds of Big Jim Medium green chiles from The Hatch Chile Store mjskitchen.combeautiful green chile that I had just received from my friends at the The Hatch Chile Store in Hatch, New Mexico.  The chile was of the Big Jim variety which is a “medium” heat and ideal for a soup or stew that uses a cup or more of green chile.  Just like Green Chile Stew, it’s always the chile that makes the soup, so with such a great batch of green chile sitting the freezer, it would have been silly of me not to have used it. (To learn more about The Hatch Chile Store and its products, be sure to check out my Kitchen Notes or just click here.)

So how did the soup turn out? Well, let me just say that Bobby’s Green Chile Stew now has some real competition. This soup was spicy enough to clear up a head cold, packed with flavor, and just creamy enough to provide that silky smooth swallow of a cream soup.  I’ve already had a request to make another pot this weekend.

And to my friend Anna – thanks for asking! I hope you enjoy it! :)

Green chile chicken soup with mushrooms and corn mjskitchen.com

Green chile chicken soup with mushrooms and corn mjskitchen.com

The Cumin Coriander MixI make this mix regularly and keep a small jar of this in my spice drawer at all time.  It’s great in so many dishes so what you don’t use in this soup, you can add to scrambled eggs, sauteed vegetables, guacamole, or other soups.

The Oregano – If you add oregano to your chicken stock when you make it, then start with only ½ teaspoon oregano in the soup.  Add more during tasting if needed.

The Green Chile – As I mentioned before, I used a medium chile.  If you’re not familiar with New Mexico green chile, please read my Red or Green? post.  It explains the different varieties of chile in New Mexico.  Big Jim is a common variety but there are even different varieties of Big Jim. Most of the time Big Jim is a medium hot chile (2500 – 3500 scovilles), but is mostly know for its large size (8 – 10″ long), its flavor, and its meatiness.  Personally, it’s my favorite and the Big Jims that I received from The Hatch Chile Store did not disappoint.

Just a reminder about Hatch green chile – There is not a variety of chile called “Hatch chile”. When you see Hatch chile, it is simply chile grown in Hatch, New Mexico, but it can be of different varieties and heat levels.

The Hatch Chile Store in Hatch, New Mexico

Big Jim Medium green chiles from The Hatch Chile Store mjskitchen.comI’d like to thank  The Hatch Chile Store for two beautiful 2.5 pound packs of flame roasted, hand-peeled, whole green chile peppers.  I was not surprised when I was told that all of the processing was done by hand, because it certainly looked like it, as you can see in this picture.  I love this picture because you can really see how meaty Big Jim chiles are.

The Hatch Chile Store is a small family owned business in Hatch, New Mexico.  It’s family has been farming 300 acres in the Hatch valley for three generations, over 60 years!  During the summer and fall it sells fresh green and red chile from its farm, and during the winter, it sells frozen green chile.  You can buy it chopped or whole, mild, medium, or hot and different varieties.  So if you’re running out of chile about now or would like to try some Hatch chile, check them out.  Once thawed, their frozen chile tastes like fresh chile and these whole pods make great rellenos.  You could also chop them up for soups, stews or anything your heart desires.

Images of the green chile (packaged and processed) courtesy of The Hatch Chile Store.

Tags: , , , ,

76 Responses to “Green Chile Chicken Mushroom Soup”

1. Italiankiwi March 1, 2014 at 1:18 pm #

I’m always drooling over your chilli recipes MJ! I wish I could get all these different types where I live (or any types for that matter!). I have to start searching the internet to get my hands on some, I think! The stew looks fabulous!

2. Roz February 28, 2014 at 2:58 am #

I’ve never tasted Hatch chills, but I’ve read about them so often that I’ve got to find out what I’ve been missing! I love a good bowl of chicken mushroom soup and the chills just add that extra kick of heat to amp up the flavor! Love it, MJ!

3. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com February 28, 2014 at 2:48 am #

So delicious, hearty and comforting soup, MJ :)

4. Charles February 26, 2014 at 3:53 pm #

“Not that there is anything really wrong with canned Cream of Mushroom soup”… well, I wouldn’t go that far. I’d posit that there’s “everything” wrong with canned soup, especially when you compare it to homemade equivalents. I had a bad experience with Campbells once and just can’t eat it again now. It just seems to fatty and “meh”. Love the sound of your soup though – a real filling winter warmer!

• mj February 27, 2014 at 7:34 pm #

HaHa!!! I guess I felt the need to be PC. :) I’m sure over there in Sweden, this soup would be a great winter warmer!

5. Raymund February 26, 2014 at 3:46 pm #

With the earthy mushrooms and kick of chillies, this is such a comfort meal specially on a cold weather

• mj February 27, 2014 at 7:32 pm #

Thanks Raymund!

6. Nami | Just One Cookbook February 26, 2014 at 2:21 am #

What, how sad that the restaurant used the can of soup as the base! Good to have a friend like MJ! ;) This soup sounds and looks delicious! The restaurant should now look at this recipe and make from scratch. ;)

• mj February 26, 2014 at 8:34 am #

It was kind of sad wasn’t it. I’m curious as to what she had to pay for that soup. Thanks for your nice comment Nami!

7. Hotly Spiced February 25, 2014 at 2:52 am #

This soup is such a pretty colour and it has amazing flavours. This must be so warming when you come in from the cold, snow and ice. I’d love to try this xx

• mj February 25, 2014 at 7:08 am #

Thanks Charlie! It definitely is a warmer soup in so many ways!

8. GourmetGetaways February 25, 2014 at 2:11 am #

What a deliciously hearty looking soup. We are just starting into the cooler whether so I will have to bookmark this one.

• mj February 25, 2014 at 7:07 am #

Thanks! I hope you enjoy it!

9. Katerina February 25, 2014 at 1:33 am #

Scientists claim that chicken has a particular elements that helps in colds and flues! They don’t know exactly how it helps but it does. This soup is perfect as I am a little under the weather!

• mj February 25, 2014 at 7:06 am #

I can believe that Katerina. I know every time I come down with a cold all I what is a chicken soup. Great info! Thanks and I hope you are feeling better soon!

10. Sissi February 24, 2014 at 9:02 am #

Chile again! We both seem to be addicted to chile in its different forms, but we cook it and prepare it in such different ways, I’m always enchanted while reading your recipes! I love mushroom soup, prepare it quite often, but would never have the idea to put chile as the basic ingredient. It sounds and looks so incredibly good, I am bookmarking it for the moment I buy some medium hot chiles (I usually buy them very very hot).
    (By the way, this green chile could be great in my lime and chile paste!).

• mj February 24, 2014 at 10:10 pm #

Thanks so much Sissi! Well, you do know that chile is definitely addicting! Oh I love using chile with mushrooms. I’m always dusting my sauteed mushrooms with red chile powder and they are really good with green chile as well. Your green chile paste is on my short list of things to make this week! I’ll let you know how it works.

11. Soni February 24, 2014 at 7:57 am #

The flavors in your soup sounds fantastic.I especially love the green chilies and the fact that you made it healthier!Cannot wait to try :)

• mj February 24, 2014 at 10:07 pm #

Thanks Soni! The green chiles really make the soup. They are SO good!

12. easyfoodsmith February 24, 2014 at 7:23 am #

Lovely soup there MJ. Even though it is pretty warm here, the chicken soup looks too tempting to resist!

• mj February 24, 2014 at 10:06 pm #

Thanks!! Maybe you could give it a try when it cools off again. Have a great week!

13. Abbe @ Abbe's Cooking Antics February 23, 2014 at 3:19 am #

Ohmygoodness me… I shall remove my flip flops before I dive in… face first. When I grow up, I want to cook food just like you, MJ ;-)

Can I ask (because we can’t get the hatch green chiles in the UK) what I might have been able to replace them with for flavour. I quite genuinely would like to try this recipe.

• mj February 23, 2014 at 9:37 am #

Well, thank you for removing your flip flops first. LOL Well, that’s a very nice thing to say Abbe. Thanks!!! In reference to a chile replacement, yes – you could use roasted and peeled poblano, aneheims, or any meaty chile pepper. Hope you find a good substitute because I know you would like this. You cook very similar dishes. Hope you’re having a great weekend!

14. Gwen @simplyhealtyfamily February 22, 2014 at 10:04 am #

This sounds wonderful! I’ll def have to make this one. I’ll probly lighten it up even more by using almond milk instead of cream. So glad to have found your blog through Spicy Foodie. I live in Phoenix and adore spicy foods.

• mj February 23, 2014 at 9:35 am #

Welcome to my kitchen Gwen! I’m so glad you stopped by and left a comment! So you’re in Phoenix? Oh yes, have I got some spicy dishes for you. :) I thought about almond milk as well, but all I had at the time was the sweetened vanilla which I use in my chais. Definitely would not have worked. :) Looking forward to sharing with you!

15. Asmita February 22, 2014 at 6:14 am #

Wow!
    This looks so comforting and delicious! Love!

• mj February 23, 2014 at 9:32 am #

Thanks Asmita!

16. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef February 22, 2014 at 5:54 am #

I loved ‘spicy enough to cure a head cold’. LOL It looks downright dellicious.

• mj February 23, 2014 at 9:32 am #

Thanks Maureen! Bobby sure love it too since he’s had a head cold all week. :)

17. Ramona February 22, 2014 at 4:46 am #

I cannot count how many things I love about this soup!! chili… chicken.. mushroom… creamy broth…. I could eat a huge bowl of it right now for breakfast. :)

• mj February 23, 2014 at 9:30 am #

Thanks Ramona! Breakfast? Sure, why not? :)

18. Dedy@Dentist Chef February 22, 2014 at 1:11 am #

Damn delicious, i can barely imagine how spicy this chicken and mushrooms soup…..
    i love the way you combine protein and fibers in one dish!

• mj February 23, 2014 at 9:24 am #

Thanks Deby! It really wasn’t too spicy, but I guess that’s relative. :)

19. ATasteOfMadness February 22, 2014 at 12:10 am #

I love soup! I haven’t made it in forever though. This looks great!

• mj February 23, 2014 at 9:23 am #

Well, then it’s time to pull out the old soup pot! :) thanks!

20. Angie@Angie's Recipes February 21, 2014 at 9:58 pm #

I have never had a green chile soup…this looks so warming and delicious, MJ.
    Have a lovely weekend!
    Angie

• mj February 23, 2014 at 9:22 am #

I had to smile when you said you had never heard of a green chile soup. Living in the chile capital of the world, we put green chile in everything. We have restaurants that have “a bowl of green chile” on the menu. :) Thanks for your comments as always Angie and hope you have a wonderful weekend as well.

21. Jodee Weiland February 21, 2014 at 8:59 pm #

This looks so good, MJ! You create magic in a dish with your green chilies…love it! This looks delicious and creamy. I bet it would warm up the days here in the Midwest, for sure!

• mj February 23, 2014 at 9:20 am #

What a nice thing to say Jodee. Thanks! This soup would definitely be a great warmup for you.

22. Nads February 21, 2014 at 6:46 pm #

Remember the other day I said that I might have enough Hatch chile to last me forever? Well, after making this soup that is not a true statement. I will definitely be making this many more times. It was very very good. My peppers were medium hot, a little too much so for Brynn but just fine for Jim and I. I have to admit though that I did add about a ¼ cup of wine because the 1% milk I used didn’t add the richness that cream would have. Thanks for another winner dinner.

• mj February 23, 2014 at 9:15 am #

LOL!!!!! I am SOOOOOOO glad you and Jim liked it! Well, you know it is the time of year to start cleaning out the freezer. :) Sorry it was too hot for Brynn. Interesting substitute on the wine. I’ve never heard of that, but will definitely be giving that a try in the near future. Thanks for being my test kitchen Sis! XOXOOXO

23. Renee @ Tortillas and Honey February 21, 2014 at 4:40 pm #

No to canned soups in SOUP! This recipe sounds absolutely divine, MJ!!! I love that you added mushrooms to this green chile chicken soup. I will definitely be making this recipe!!! :-)

• mj February 23, 2014 at 9:11 am #

Totally agree Renee! You are probably too young to remember the time when canned soup in soup was the norm. :) I hope you do get a chance to make this. I know you’ll love it.

24. Debra February 21, 2014 at 4:26 pm #

This sounds delicious. I remember when almost all recipes called for some sort of cream soups. :)

• mj February 23, 2014 at 9:10 am #

Thanks Debra! I still have lots of old cookbook that call for those cream soup. Bet you do as well. :)

25. Carol at Wild Goose Tea February 21, 2014 at 4:01 pm #

I am with everyone else in regard to the ground almonds. I have always have whole
    almonds on hand—-okay a lot of them go from the hand to the mouth. I am still new
    at adding chilies to dishes except for canned green chilies, so your site is pushing
    me along.

• mj February 23, 2014 at 9:18 am #

Thanks Carol! I definitely need to try to the ground almonds as a thickener. I keep a ton of them around as well just to snack on so I’ll have to put a few of them to a different use. Glad to be giving you a push toward using more chiles! :)

26. Gloria February 21, 2014 at 12:48 pm #

Mushroom & chicken my favorite combos ..loved the soup..looks delicious…

• mj February 23, 2014 at 9:09 am #

Thanks Gloria! I love that combo as well.

27. Deb February 21, 2014 at 11:28 am #

My family adores Hatch Chiles! I have a few packages left in my freezer from the summer harvest. The tasty Green Chile Chicken Mushroom Soup might require the use of one of those precious packages!

• mj February 23, 2014 at 9:08 am #

It’s always so exciting that people have NM chiles in their freezers! It’s the best! This soup will definitely make it shine because you use a lot of it. :) Hope you enjoy and thanks for the comment!

28. Donalyn@The Creekside Cook February 21, 2014 at 8:02 am #

Firstly, I am green with envy that you got to try the Hatch chilies – love love them! I also love the idea of making the cumin/coriander mix to have on hand. I’ll definitely be giving this a try very soon – it looks perfect for the never ending winter we are having around here. Pinned & Tweeted!

• mj February 23, 2014 at 9:07 am #

Thanks Donalyn! Hatch chiles are good aren’t they? :) Having a batch of the cumin/coriander mix made-up IS quite handy, especially since I use it in so many things. Hope you enjoy!

29. Aurica February 21, 2014 at 6:23 am #

mmmmm, look so good, delicious and tasty..so fresh, natural and a great combination, excellent :)

• mj February 23, 2014 at 9:05 am #

Thanks so much Aurica!

30. The Wimpy Vegetarian February 20, 2014 at 10:01 pm #

Both my husband and I are sick in bed with the flu, and I can’t tell you how incredibly good this looks to me right now!

• mj February 20, 2014 at 10:12 pm #

Oh Susan – I wish I could make a pot and bring it to y’all! It would definitely make you feel better. Get well soon Darlin!

31. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen February 20, 2014 at 4:56 pm #

WOW! This looks like mushroom soup with some kick into it!

• mj February 20, 2014 at 10:10 pm #

Thanks Peachy! A definitely kick! :)

32. Choc Chip Uru February 20, 2014 at 1:37 pm #

Lovely looking soup, I love chile in anything :D
    And mushroom and chicken, I have heard, is a winning combination!

Choc Chip Uru

• mj February 20, 2014 at 10:10 pm #

Thanks Uru! chicken and mushroom is a winning combination for sure!

33. Nads February 20, 2014 at 12:43 pm #

OMG this looks and sound scrumptious. I’m sure I would love it and am pretty sure Jim would too. It would be perfect for a lunch for the two of us so I’ll be making some soon. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Love you.

• mj February 20, 2014 at 10:09 pm #

Thanks Darlin! You would definitely love this soup. It’s like eating a green chile pot pie without the biscuits or crust. :)

34. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz February 20, 2014 at 12:09 pm #

No I am afraid of Campbell soups lol. But yeah a mushroom base soup is so easy to make. And this ones looks amazing, love how you describe it. With 5 pounds of green chile you will be making tons of soup. Wonder if it would be good for the cold I am fighting.

• mj February 20, 2014 at 10:07 pm #

Evelyne, you aren’t the one person afraid of Campbell’s soups. :) This green chile soup would DEFINITELY be good for your cold. My husband has had a cold for a week, so I’ve been feeding him this soup and grits and green chile. Every time he eats either one of these dishes, his head clear and he can breathe! So give it a try and hope you feel better soon.

35. John@Kitchen Riffs February 20, 2014 at 9:27 am #

What a nice dish! And how lucky to have scored those Hatch chilies! I love any New Mexican chilies, but anything grown in Hatch always has particularly nice flavor (it’s probably my imagination!). Anyway, I do like this soup — I love mushrooms and I can’t get enough green chile. I really should make your roasted cumin/coriander mix. I use these two spices all the time (at least once a week, usually more) and it makes so much sense just to prepare my own blend.

• mj February 20, 2014 at 10:04 pm #

Thanks so much John! I knew you were a chile lover so I’m sure you would enjoy this soup. It’s got lots of chile! Oh and Yes, lucky me. Actually, the chile came as quite a surprise and a very nice surprise. :) Like use, I use coriander/cumin at least once a week and I just got tired of toast a little here and there. The 2 Tbsp of spice mix, last me a few weeks, so I would highly recommend it.

36. Treat and Trick February 20, 2014 at 8:17 am #

I love the use of coriander and cumin in this soup but added ground almond instead of cornstarch when making a soup in my kitchen. Looks super delicious!

• mj February 20, 2014 at 8:53 am #

Love the idea of using ground almond!!! I’ve done that before but never for a soup. Thanks!

37. Anna February 20, 2014 at 8:13 am #

Thanks for taking up the challenge, MJ. I’ll try this soon. Looks delicious.

• mj February 20, 2014 at 8:52 am #

Thank YOU Anna!

38. Vicki Bensinger February 20, 2014 at 7:56 am #

Sounds like you made a great makeover. I have to admit there are times when I’m too tired to cook that I whip together and old casserole recipe that my family loves and hate myself each time I use the canned soup. The sodium alone is enough to kill anyone, even with the Healthy Choice.

This soup sounds delicious am I’m sure even with skim milk vs. heavy cream would still be delish!

Thanks for sharing.

• mj February 20, 2014 at 8:52 am #

Thanks Vicki! Oh I remember the days of using canned soups in casseroles,but it’s been a while since I’ve made one. I grew up with them, so I think I’ve had my share. :) I’m sure with a little more thickening agent, the skim milk would work fine. I didn’t worry about 1/4 cup of cream in such a large pot of soup, but now…what to do with the rest of the cream? :)

1. Chicken and Vegetables Smothered in Chile de Arbol Pecan Sauce | MJ's Kitchen - April 27, 2014

[…] Green Chile Chicken and Mushroom Soup […]

2. Green Chile Chicken Soup | IMG Recipes| Share Your Favorite Recipes, Cooking Tips & Food Images - April 10, 2014

[…] Green Chile Chicken Soup A spicy Green Chile Chicken Soup with Mushrooms.For full “Green Chile Chicken Soup” recipe click here […]