Apple, Carrot, and Pecan Slaw with Curry Dressing

Slaw with apples, cabbage, carrots, toasted pecans seasoned with masala spice. mjskitchen.com

Whenever I buy a head a cabbage, I can usually get 2 to 3 meals from it, making a head of cabbage a very economical little vegetable.  Last week’s cabbage was used for my Sausage with Cabbage and Onion and two different side salads, one of the salads being this Apple, Carrot, and Pecan Slaw with a light dressing seasoned with a curry spice blend.  It’s a nice side for a pork or chicken entree or alone as a light lunch.  It has just a few ingredients and comes together in less than 20 minutes.

Normally, I would have seasoned this slaw with sage and dill.  However, the first time I made it we were having a pork dish that had sage and thyme, and I didn’t want to duplicate the seasoning.  That’s how it ended up with a curry dressing which turned out to be a great complement to the seasoning in the pork. The curry dressing was delicious on this slaw but I can also see it being used on a variety of other salads.  As far as the curry goes, just use your favorite blend.  I talk a little more about the curry in the Kitchen Notes.

The Apple – A crispy semi-sweet tart apple works best.  I’ve been using Fuji and Pink Ladies.  I like the Pink Ladies, whereas Bobby prefers the Fuji.

The Pecans – I haven’t tried this salad with anything but pecans; however, if you don’t have pecans then you could easily substitute almonds or walnuts.  If you use walnuts, cut the amount down to ¼ cup.  Toasted walnuts can be quite strong and too many would overpower the other flavors in this salad.

The Shredded Coconut – The coconut that I had was a finely shredded coconut which toasts very, very fast.  That’s why the instructions say to toast the coconut in the hot skillet, removed from the heat.  It only takes about 30 seconds for the coconut to toast, so keep an eye on it.

The Paneer Masala – The Paneer Masala from Season With Spice has become my most favorite curry blend.  It is a blend of “coriander, onion & garlic, spicy red chili pepper, and warming spices like cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, and clove”.  The cinnamon and clove are very subtle which is how I like my curry powders.  However, if you don’t have this particular curry blend, then you can easily substitute garam marsala or any other curry powder, preferably one that does not have cinnamon listed as its first ingredient.  (Forgive me if I am misusing the terms masala and curry. I did some research and found conflicting information as to if they are the same or different.  What was consistent is that they are both blends using very similar ingredients but in different proportions.)

No matter which curry or masala blend you decide to use in the dressing, I’m sure it will be great with this Apple, Carrot, and Pecan Slaw.   Hope you enjoy!

This Apple and Cabbage Slaw with Curry Dressing has been shared with the Hearth & Soul Blog Hop.

Tags: , , , ,

63 Responses to “Apple, Carrot, and Pecan Slaw with Curry Dressing”

1. April @ The 21st Century Housewife March 31, 2014 at 3:36 pm #

I love the sound of this wonderful salad MJ! The apple, carrot and coconut would go so well with all the lovely spices. I can think of so many things to serve this with! Thank you for sharing another delicious recipe with the Hearth and Soul hop :-)

2. Swathi March 31, 2014 at 9:51 am #

Delicious Mj curry dressing is awesome. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul blog hop.

• mj March 31, 2014 at 9:05 pm #

You are most welcome Swathi! I knew you’d love the curry dressing. ;0

3. Bill March 1, 2014 at 8:09 am #

Wow, MJ! What a brilliant combination of ingredients. I would never have thought of curry with apples and pecans but I bet it was absolutely delicious! Great post!

4. Nami | Just One Cookbook February 26, 2014 at 2:24 am #

Your recipe reminded me of my mom’s recipe that uses mayo and curry. It’s SO delicious, and how nice to see the combination of apple, carrot and pecan goes well with the mayo/curry dressing!!! I will love this slaw!

• mj February 26, 2014 at 8:34 am #

Thanks Nami! I love it when someone says “It reminds me of mom’s”. :)

5. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz February 19, 2014 at 1:51 pm #

I just adore anything curry and this is a nice twits on the regular slaw. Apples work so well here. Silly comment but switch them for pineapple and it will be a carrot cake slaw :-)

• mj February 20, 2014 at 8:47 am #

Thanks Evelyne! Actually, that was an interesting comment. I’ve never heard of a carrot cake slaw, but I do love the idea of the pineapple.

6. Karen (Back Road Journal) February 19, 2014 at 12:56 pm #

Love the idea of the curry dressing with the apple and carrot…it sounds great.

• mj February 20, 2014 at 8:46 am #

Thanks Karen! It does make a great combination.

7. Raymund February 19, 2014 at 12:04 pm #

This is a unique slaw that I would really love, I can replace the usual slaw with this anytime. Yum!

• mj February 20, 2014 at 8:46 am #

Thanks Raymund! I do like this slaw better than the usual one. I never have been much of a fan of “cabbage slaw”, so I’m always looking for new ways to make it. I like a “little bit” of cabbage so this one was perfect for us.

8. Giulietta | Alterkitchen February 19, 2014 at 3:09 am #

Very interesting in taste and very colorful slaw :)

9. Katerina February 19, 2014 at 12:44 am #

Such a delicious and exotic salad! And your comments in kitchen notes regarding curry are very helpful!

10. Viviane Bauquet Farre - Food and Style February 18, 2014 at 9:45 pm #

A curry slaw is a wonderfully original idea, MJ. This looks fantastic.

11. Angie@Angie's Recipes February 18, 2014 at 9:07 pm #

Love slaw! The curry dressing is the winner, MJ.

• mj February 20, 2014 at 8:44 am #

Thanks Angie! Yep, I do love that dressing! :)

12. Minnie@thelady8home February 18, 2014 at 8:57 pm #

Cabbage is one of my fav vegetables, and I agree it’s amazingly economical. Love the colors.

13. Charles February 18, 2014 at 4:19 pm #

I completely agree, and cabbage is SO compact! By the time you shred it up it just seems to expand and multiply. You can make a huge coleslaw or something with just a quarter head and the cabbage lasts forever and a day. so you don’t need to worry about using it within a week.

Beautiful colourful salad MJ – love the sound of it. I’ve got a real craving for crunchy fresh tasting things like this these days.

• mj February 20, 2014 at 8:43 am #

Totally agree Charles! One head of cabbage just seems to keep going and going and going. :)

14. Valerie | From Valerie's Kitchen February 18, 2014 at 3:53 pm #

Oh, yummy! I love slaw every which way and I just recently made some with apple. This looks fabulous my dear!

• mj February 20, 2014 at 8:37 am #

Thanks so much Valerie!

15. Ramona February 18, 2014 at 4:26 am #

Mmmm.. masala curry dressing.. you have my full attention. This slaw looks light and full of wonderful flavors. :)

16. Sissi February 18, 2014 at 1:36 am #

Beautiful salad, MJ! (I mean slaw ;-) ). You know, whenever I buy a cabbage (and I often do) I prepare okonomiyaki (Japanese savoury omelet), usually a double portion at a time and since I buy small cabbages it’s often gone in two meals. I just cannot stop myself from doing it… It’s one of my favourite dishes.
    This slaw looks fantastic and since I know how carrots go well with Indian spices, I’m sure I would love it. The coconut’s addition is a great idea too (so clever! I have never thought about doing it in a salad). We are having now quite warm days (they announce today 14°C! which is a typically warm spring temperature), so I’m delighted to learn this new refreshing way to have winter vegetables.

• mj February 20, 2014 at 8:41 am #

Thanks Sissi! I’m going to have to check out your Japanese omelet. I’ve seen them several times, but have never undertaken the task of making one. They always look so good! This is a great salad for the in between seasons. We’ve been having springlike weather as well, so this salad has been quite nice (since I’ve been eating it all week :) ). The coconut did definitely take it to a whole new level.

17. AnneFromMySweetHeart February 17, 2014 at 9:48 pm #

What a unique and amazing salad, MJ! This is something I’d love to make a batch of and have it all week long for lunch! That dressing is what makes it so special, and you are right…I can think of so many other ways to use it! : )

• mj February 20, 2014 at 8:36 am #

Thanks so much Anne! Actually, I made another batch up this past weekend and have been eating it for lunch all week. :) Yes, the dressing is quite special!

18. Vicki Bensinger February 17, 2014 at 11:31 am #

Wow I love this recipe. You had me at the curry but then when I read the recipe and saw that it also included coconut I was drooling. Great recipe. I can’t wait to try this. The dressing sounds scrumptious!

• mj February 20, 2014 at 8:35 am #

Thanks Vicki! Oh yea – the coconut definitely takes it to another level!

19. Gloria February 17, 2014 at 10:45 am #

such a lovely looking salad…with pecans ,apple & carrot ..wow the combo seems yumm..so lovely dressing…I loved the addition of curry masala..thanks fpr sharing…

• mj February 20, 2014 at 8:34 am #

Thanks Gloria! I’ve become a huge fan of curry masala!

20. Sanjeeta kk February 17, 2014 at 1:20 am #

Am a huge cabbage fan and this combo is already calling my name loudly….good use of Paneer masala..I grind my own at home and use the same in most of my Indian curries.

• mj February 17, 2014 at 10:24 am #

Thanks Sanjeeta! So very impressing that you grind your own masala! It’s a spice that I don’t use much, but I’m becoming a convert. :)

21. Jodee Weiland February 16, 2014 at 7:10 pm #

This looks good and healthy…love it. Once again, you’ve created another delicious dish! Thanks for sharing!

• mj February 17, 2014 at 10:22 am #

Thanks so much Jodee! We were craving healthy after all of the chocolate last week. :)

22. Nads February 16, 2014 at 1:03 pm #

Since I was going to have pork chops anyway; and since I had all the ingredients on hand anyway (except the coconut of course) I decided to make this for lunch. I had everything chopped up and ready to go and the troops came through and inquired about what we were having. They balked at slaw. So, I got out the wok and sautéed the carrots, cabbage, and apple. At the end I added the toasted pecans and enough dressing to slightly cover everything. THEY LOVED IT! Jim said it tasted like I had used a whole stick of butter and was really surprised when I told him there was no butter in it, just yogurt, curry, vinegar, and a little oil. Whether they like it or not I’m going to make this someday as slaw. Regardless, we know this dish is a winner.

• mj February 17, 2014 at 10:21 am #

LOVE how you turned a salad into a stirfry. Very creative Sis!! Now you’ve got me wanting to try it. Need to pick up another head of cabbage this week. :) So glad you all liked it hot. I’m sure YOU at least would like it as a slaw. :) Thanks for letting me know and for your wonderful comments as ALWAYS!

23. Nisa Homey February 16, 2014 at 10:23 am #

I love the addition of curry masala…I am sure it tasted yum!! Thanks for the idea MJ!!

• mj February 17, 2014 at 10:17 am #

You are most welcome Nisa! Thanks for the comment!

24. easyfoodsmith February 16, 2014 at 9:51 am #

I am finding the dressing very interesting. I am now itching to try the curry dressing next time for the slaw.

• mj February 17, 2014 at 10:17 am #

Thanks! I’ve used this dressing for a couple of different salads and it has worked both times. Hope you enjoy!

25. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles February 16, 2014 at 9:06 am #

This looks beautifully appetizing MJ. I’m loving the combination of ingredients and textures here. Apple and curry are a match made in heaven, aren’t they? So simple and perfect. Love your studded white bowl — so pretty!

• mj February 17, 2014 at 10:16 am #

Thanks Kelly! I do love the combination of apple and curry! The bowl was a sale item at World Market. Love that place! :)

• Kelly @ Inspired Edibles February 25, 2014 at 8:43 pm #

How cool that I actually know what World Market is now (!!). And there just happens to be one right around the corner from us… haven’t been since December, better head back soon ;-).

• mj February 26, 2014 at 8:30 am #

I’m sure there are hundreds out there in Ca. :) I love going there and getting prop dishes. Be sure to look for the discount shelf. :)

26. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef February 15, 2014 at 8:46 pm #

I love the idea of a curry dressing. This slaw would go so well with the pork I’m having for dinner tonight.

• mj February 15, 2014 at 9:52 pm #

Thanks Maureen! Let me know if you do try it. Hope you’re having a great weekend!

27. Deb February 15, 2014 at 7:30 pm #

Such a tempting spice blend to pair with cabbage and apple! This recipe would pair nicely with roast chicken or pork for a scrumptious winter dinner.

• mj February 15, 2014 at 9:51 pm #

Thanks Deb! We had it with pork again last night and it was scrumptious!

28. Hotly Spiced February 15, 2014 at 3:09 pm #

I agree that a cabbage really is one of the most economical vegetables around. And when you cut into them they seem to expand. This is a lovely looking salad and I love the addition of pecans xx

• mj February 15, 2014 at 9:50 pm #

Oh you are so right Charlie! Sometimes I’m chopping a cabbage and think it’s about all chopped and then I see I still have a quarter of it left. :) Thanks for stopping by!

29. wok with ray February 15, 2014 at 11:22 am #

With carrots, apples, and pecan that make the slaw very hearty. Adding curry must leave a very distinct and unique flavor. You are really creative, MJ. I hope you and Bobby are having a relaxing weekend. :)

• mj February 15, 2014 at 9:48 pm #

Thanks so much Ray! I think the secret to creativity is having a big selection of great herbs and spices in the panty. Sometimes I just stand in the pantry and taste. It’s fun! Hope you and your family are having a relaxing weekend as well.

30. John@Kitchen Riffs February 15, 2014 at 10:45 am #

Cabbage really does go a long way, doesn’t it? I love an Asian or curry slaw — and don’t make them nearly enough. I gotta do one, and soon! This looks wonderful — thanks.

• mj February 15, 2014 at 9:46 pm #

When it’s just the two of us, sometimes I feel like that’s all we’re eating that week – cabbage. :) I’m a believer in Asian slaws now. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to go back to an herb slaw this was so good. Thanks for you comments John!

31. Deena Kakaya February 15, 2014 at 10:33 am #

We love a cabbage salad in our house, always with spice. Lovely post x

• mj February 15, 2014 at 9:44 pm #

Thanks Deena! I usually don’t use to much spice in cabbage slaw so I’m really enjoying the change and I love the curry!

32. Debra February 15, 2014 at 10:19 am #

I have got to start taking more salads for lunch!!!!!!!!!! I love this take on slaw! Thanks for the recipe, M.J.

• mj February 15, 2014 at 9:43 pm #

Thanks Debra! I had it for lunch again today. It’s so good! It would fit right nice into your new eating plan.

1. Curried Apple Slaw | IMG Recipes| Share Your Favorite Recipes, Cooking Tips & Food Images - April 10, 2014

[…] Curried Apple Slaw Apple, Carrot and Pecan Slaw with coconut and a curry dressingFor full “Curried Apple Slaw” recipe click here […]

2. Hearth and Soul Blog Hop: 3/31/14 Best Dish Edition - Zesty South Indian Kitchen - March 31, 2014

[…] 1.Tofu soup from RealHome cooked food 2.Apple salsa from Simply delicious 3. Black bean nacho salad from Scrumptious Spoonfuls 4. Broccoli rice pilaf from Yesterfood 5. Buckwheat crepe from Quick healthy 6. Cajun cabbage from Mizhelencountry cottage 7.Garlic buttered frog from Msenplace 8.Chicken tertazzni from 21stcentury housewife 9.Oatmeal truffles from Sumees culinary 10.Ghee rooibos tea from Almostbananas 11. Chickpea kurma from Vysyas’s recipes 12 Apple  carrot pecan  slaw form MJ’s kitchen […]

3. My Favorite Foodies: An Interview with MJ of MJ’s Kitchen | Spicie Foodie - February 22, 2014

[…] Leek Quiche, Shrimp and Grits, Green Chile Chicken Mushroom Soup, Smoky Polenta with Aged Cheddar, Apple, Carrot, and Pecan Slaw with Curry Dressing Recipes for photos used in article: Fiery Chocolate Shots, Southwestern Pork Stir Fry, Persimmon […]