Chorizo, Mushroom and Posole (Hominy) Soup

A hearty soup with chorizo, hominy (posole), mushrooms and Swiss chard. mjskitchen.com

During December and January the Costco in my area sells 5 pound bags of fresh posole – corn soaking in slaked lime water.  Every year, I buy a bag, make a couple of posole dishes, then divide the rest into freezer bags and freeze.  One of this year’s dishes was this hearty bowl of soup made with Mexican chorizo, posole, mushrooms and Swiss chard. It’s a bit lighter than the traditional posole stew made in New Mexico which is mostly posole, pork and red or green chile.  With this soup, the posole is just one of several vegetables and the chorizo is used more to add flavor than to add bulk.

What is Posole’?

Is it a stew or is it a corn product?  Actually, in New Mexico, it’s both.  Posole stew is a relatively filling and delicious soup made with posole, meat and chile.  The meat is usually pork, chicken, or turkey.  The bulk of the stew is the corn product, also called “posole (aka hominy)”, which is corn boiled and soaked in slaked lime water (cal). This process (called nixtamalization) improves the nutritional value of the corn as well as its flavor and size.  Here in New Mexico you can buy bags of dried posole at most of our local grocery stores.  Some stores carry frozen posole in the freezer section. And then of course, you can buy the canned version called hominy.  Personally, I prefer the flavor and texture of fresh, frozen or dried posole over canned hominy; however, if I only had access to canned hominy, it wouldn’t stop me from making this soup or any other dish in which I use posole, including the stew called posole.  (Be sure to check out the links at the bottom of this post for more information about “posole” and recipes for the stew called Posole.)

Posole Corn nixtamalized in limewater

Fresh Posole (Click to enlarge)

The Posole – In Mexican markets and most groceries in New Mexico, you can find frozen, dry, and sometimes, fresh posole.  Two cups of fresh or frozen posole yield a little over 3 cups of cooked posole; whereas, 2 cups of dried posole yield about 4 cups of cooked posole. Frozen and fresh posole are cooked using like methods (the method used in this recipe).  Dried posole needs to be soaked overnight and then pre-cooked for at least 2 hours before adding additional ingredients.

As previously mentioned, you can also substitute the posole with canned hominy.  Since canned hominy is already cooked, using it eliminates that initial hour of cooking for fresh/frozen posole; therefore, allowing this soup to be made in less than 45 minutes!

The Water and Stock – The amount given in the recipe is not exact because, as posole cooks, it absorbs quite a bit of water and some of the water evaporates.  So just keep adding water and/or stock as needed to achieve a “soup” consistency.  If you use hominy, 6 cups is probably all you need.  As far as how much of which, use what you have or want to use.  I normally use a ratio of 1:1.

The Mushrooms – Button mushrooms, baby bellas or white, work best. I usually chop the mushrooms by cutting each mushroom into little wedges (like a lime); however, you could also slice the mushrooms if you choose.

The Swiss Chard – Kale or spinach can be used in place of Swiss chard.  Other greens might be too strong in flavor and end up competing with the other flavors in the soup.

The Smoked Serrano Chili Powder – For this soup, I used Season With Spices’s Smoked Serrano Chili Powder.  However, any smoked chile powder would work (e.g., chipotle or smoked paprika). Just be aware of the heat level. Chipotle can be pretty hot, so you might need to adjust the amount used for your heat tolerance.

If you like this Chorizo, Mushroom and Posole Soup, you’ll probably also like my Posole’ with Italian Sausage and Kale, or you could go with the more traditional posole’.

Spicie Foodie’s Red Chicken Posole

Southern Boy Dishes Posole

Barefeet in The Kitchen’s New Mexican Posole

If you want to purchase dry or frozen posole online, check out some of these Sources of New Mexico Chile Products.

This Chorizo, Mushroom and Posole Soup has been shared with the following blog hops:  Hearth and Soul .

Tags: , ,

68 Responses to “Chorizo, Mushroom and Posole (Hominy) Soup”

1. Nami | Just One Cookbook February 5, 2014 at 10:58 pm #

Pasole is new to me! I wonder if California costco carries it… maybe not. We have nori seed and all kinds of Asian stuff in Costco, but I doubt other costco carries such a large selection of Asian food… Anyway, I’d love to taste this. It looks and sounds wonderful.

2. The Wimpy Vegetarian February 3, 2014 at 12:29 pm #

I love posole! This recipe looks wonderful. I’ve been trying to come up with a recipe for a vegetarian one I like and want to model it after yours . You’ve included such a nice array of vegetables!

3. Terra January 28, 2014 at 7:52 pm #

I tried posole in Arizona, I remember I liked it for sure. I need to make some someday for sure! It is not as easy finding all the ingredients here in NC, but this determined girl will succeed! Your recipe looks amazing! Hugs, Terra

• mj January 28, 2014 at 9:53 pm #

Thanks so much Terra! I’m sure posole is difficult to find in NC, but there’s always online! :)

4. April @ The 21st Century Housewife January 28, 2014 at 3:05 am #

I’ve heard of Posole but I didn’t understand what it was – or that it was the same thing as Hominy. I really enjoyed reading this post, MJ. I learned a lot! Your Chorizo Mushroom and Posole Soup looks really comforting and delicious. I’ve pinned both it and your Corn Chowder to my soups board on Pinterest. Thank you for sharing them with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop.

• mj January 29, 2014 at 5:21 pm #

Thanks so much April!!! I didn’t know about posole either until I moved to New Mexico. Growing up I really disliked hominy, thought it was bland and wasn’t too crazy about the texture. Once I tried posole, I’ve never had to buy hominy again. :) However, I do know that it works as a good substitute in several posole dish because I’ve had dishes like a green chile stew with posole that was quite delicious. Also, my sister made this soup with hominy the other night and said it was delicious. So don’t hesitate to just use hominy! Thanks for pinning!

5. John Ford January 27, 2014 at 6:46 pm #

Okay my mouth is officially watering uncontrollably. Amazing recipe, we have yet to try mushrooms and chard but will be very soon. thanks for sharing :)

• mj January 27, 2014 at 10:43 pm #

Thanks so much John!! The mushrooms and chard were a great addition to this posole. You’ll love the heat! :)

6. swathi January 27, 2014 at 10:46 am #

Delicious chorizo mushroom Soup Love it Mj.

• mj January 27, 2014 at 3:50 pm #

Thanks so much Swathi!

7. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen January 27, 2014 at 7:13 am #

This looks very appetizing as I love soup but I don’t think I can buy Posole here. What can you suggest as a substitute?

• mj January 27, 2014 at 3:50 pm #

Thanks Peachy! If you can find canned hominy, that works, but then you could also just substitute corn. It’s not quite the same, but it would still be good.

8. Angie@Angie's Recipes January 27, 2014 at 2:46 am #

Posole is new to me. The stew looks like something I would love in this cold rainy Monday.
    Angie

• mj January 27, 2014 at 3:49 pm #

Thanks Angie! It’s perfect for cold rainy days. Wish we had a few of those. :)

9. Charles January 26, 2014 at 4:17 pm #

Wow, you’re always a fount of new things for me MJ – today I learned about “posole”… I’ve never heard of this in my entire life before… although maybe it’s called something else here – that’s always a possibility. Also “slaked in lime water” – that certain sounds… interesting! :D

• mj January 26, 2014 at 9:34 pm #

Thanks so much Charles! It’s nice living in a place with some unique, delicious ingredients to cook with.:) The nixtamalization process is a process that has been used since the 1200′s!! The corn used for tortillas goes through this process as well. It’s quite interesting. Glad I could turn you on to something new. :)

10. Liz January 25, 2014 at 7:49 pm #

Your soup looks amazing! I wonder if we can find any version of posole around here besides canned hominy? I’ll have to start my hunt :)

• mj January 26, 2014 at 9:30 pm #

Thanks Liz! Good luck on your hunt! :)

11. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef January 25, 2014 at 6:35 am #

I know you will share in my joy at knowing that Costco will be opening a store soon about an hour south of me. I know.. I couldn’t believe it either but yes, it’s true. The store is built and they are now hiring. I wonder if they’ll sell posole? I expect not but a woman can hope. :)

This looks like a delicious soup!

• mj January 25, 2014 at 10:44 am #

WooHoo!!!! You’re going to love Costco!! I’d be really surprised if they sold posole, but let me know if they do. :) Thanks Maureen and hope you’re having a great weekend.

12. Nisa Homey January 25, 2014 at 6:35 am #

Posole looks a bit like green gram dal….the soup sure is perfect for the weather….love your pics!!

• mj January 25, 2014 at 10:42 am #

Thanks so much Nisa!! After looking up green gram dal I can honestly say that taste and texture wise, the two are very different.

13. Soni January 25, 2014 at 6:06 am #

This looks a warm and comforting soup and with the spices and chile its right up my alley :) Need some right now in this freezing cold.

• mj January 25, 2014 at 10:41 am #

Thanks Soni! This definitely would warm you up, especially with those spices. :)

14. Viviane Bauquet Farre - Food and Style January 25, 2014 at 4:14 am #

This looks like an incredible comfort dish, MJ.

• mj January 25, 2014 at 10:40 am #

Oh it is! Thanks Viviane!

15. Treat and Trick January 24, 2014 at 10:08 pm #

At a glace, the posole looks similar to our green gram also we cooked them the same way you did. Love the spice combo you added to this soup. Regarding my coconut cake, I have used orange colored sugar instead of white one.

• mj January 25, 2014 at 10:39 am #

Thanks TaT! I had to look up green gram and now that I know it’s mung beans, I can say that the two are very different. I love Ray’s comment below that “posole is like corn on steroids”. :) Thanks for the information on your Coconut Cake. I was wondering. :)

16. Jodee Weiland January 24, 2014 at 9:28 pm #

This sounds so delicious! I’ve never had Mexican chorizo, but I’m guessing it’s really full of flavor. I have got to try this soon. I love your recipes!

• mj January 25, 2014 at 10:33 am #

Thanks so much Jodee! Mexican chorizo is very different from Spanish. For one thing, it’s not cooked or smoked but it still have all of the spices and flavor of Spanish.

17. Sissi January 24, 2014 at 1:20 pm #

You have made me travel far far away once more. No chance I could get posole here, but, you know, reading your posts is such a pleasure I almost feel as if I’ve just had a bowl of this thick gorgeous soup. I buy chorizo very often but never tried putting into a soup. It sounds like an excellent idea.

• mj January 25, 2014 at 10:32 am #

Thanks so much Sissi!!! Can you find canned hominy in your part of the world? I know that posole is quite regional (the SW US and Mexico), but hominy is pretty widespread here in the U.S. Do you get Mexico chorizo or Spanish chorizo? I ask because a couple of years ago I picked up some Spanish chorizo for the first time and it was VERY different from Mexican chorizo. However, I think it still would work in this soup. :) Have a great weekend!

• Sissi January 29, 2014 at 9:58 am #

I will try to look for canned hominy (there is one US food shop in my city, but I always forget to go there… most of the food they sell are sweets, ready-to-use mixes, etc. but maybe they have hominy…).
        Thank you for the tip.
        I get of course Spanish chorizo :-) In what it was different from the Mexican one? There are two main kinds of Spanish chorizo (at least from what I saw): thick one (sliced finely, can be used for example in sandwiches) and a thin one (looking like a “standard” sausage, which can be eaten raw or cooked. I often fry it. They are both cured. (Of course I always choose the hot versions ;-)

• mj January 29, 2014 at 5:16 pm #

Thanks Sissi! There is quite a bit of difference between Spanish and Mexican chorizo. First of all, Mexican chorizo is not cured. When you buy it, it’s raw and needs to be cooked. Both are very spicy and both are seasoning with red chile powder, but I think the herbs and other seasonings are different. I have a homemade Mexican chorizo recipe on my site. Take a look at it and that would help to show you what’s in it. I always love both, and sometimes they are interchangeable, but sometimes not. Hope this helps.

18. Ramona January 23, 2014 at 5:02 am #

I wish our Costco would carry this… how cool! I have actually never tried it, but the next time I see hominy in the store (canned), I am buying it to play around with it. :) We are having frigid temperatures out here… soup is all I am craving these days and this looks hearty and comforting. :)

• mj January 25, 2014 at 10:29 am #

Thanks Ramona! I love the way Costco carries stuff relative to the area. Along with fresh posole, we also get fresh, unfrozen, traditional pork tamales and green chile chicken tamales. Another great comfort food for our area. :)

19. Joyti January 22, 2014 at 9:05 pm #

It sounds delicious! I love that you added extra vegetables :)

• mj January 22, 2014 at 9:12 pm #

Thanks Joyti! All those veggies were really nice with the posole.

20. Nads January 22, 2014 at 6:42 pm #

THIS IS DEEEELICIOUS!!!!!!!!! As I said I would, I made this for dinner tonight. Since I only had a small piece of chorizo, I used part chorizo and part braised pork butt. Instead of chard I used spinach. I cut back to a pinch of the smoked serrano pepper chili powder because I find it to be really hot and Brynn is allergic to red pepper (She took a Benadryl before she ate). I served it with warm tortillas to soak of the broth. By the end of the meal, each of us had reached for an extra scoop. It was so very good! This will indeed be a repeat. Excellent job MJ!!!

• mj January 22, 2014 at 9:11 pm #

Well, you just made my week!!!! I’m so glad that you all enjoyed it! Sorry Brynn had to take a pill to eat it, but she really must have liked it to do so. :) Love the idea of using pork butt with the chorizo. I’m sure using it in place of chorizo would work as well. yep – warm tortillas are a must!!! Thanks for letting me know how it turned out Darlin! XOXOXO

21. Choc Chip Uru January 22, 2014 at 2:51 pm #

Hominy is new to me but I always learn from your wonderful posts :D
    Delicious soup!

CCU

• mj January 22, 2014 at 9:09 pm #

Thanks Uru! So glad I could introduce you to a new ingredient!

22. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz January 22, 2014 at 2:33 pm #

Well MJ that was very educational because I knew posole was related to corn but never dared to ask the question. Very interesting and not sure I ever saw any here, even in a can. But the soup does look amazing and filling. Wish I could have a bowl now.

• mj January 22, 2014 at 9:08 pm #

Thanks Evelyne! I’m glad I could introduce you to a new ingredient. How you get to try it some day.

23. Deb January 22, 2014 at 11:01 am #

I am sure I could find fresh posole locally if I widened by shopping horizons. I just open a can of hominy and proceed with the recipe. After reading your review I must find some as I can’t wait to taste the difference!

• mj January 22, 2014 at 9:07 pm #

Thanks Deb! If you like hominy, then you definitely need to try posole. For me there is a big difference in a very tasty way. :) You can order it online if you can’t find it in your area.

24. Gloria January 22, 2014 at 9:51 am #

This soup looks delicious.. Droolworthy.. The addition of chorizo makes it more flavourful.. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

• mj January 22, 2014 at 9:05 pm #

Thanks for much Gloria! Oh yes, the chorizo definitely adds a nice bite.

25. wok with ray January 22, 2014 at 9:14 am #

Love those chunky pieces of corn as I call them corn in steroids, LOL! Your version of this delicious soup is making me drool and with the chorizo. . . oh boy! Thank you for another mouthwatering dish my friend. :)

• mj January 22, 2014 at 9:04 pm #

LOL I love that “corn on steroids”! Great description for posole. Thanks for your wonderful comments Ray!

26. Judy @Savoring Today January 22, 2014 at 8:44 am #

Love, love, love hearty and satisfying soups! It takes the chill off like little else and your Posole looks delicious! Thanks for another great recipe to try, MJ.

• mj January 22, 2014 at 8:59 am #

Thank you Judy!!! Looks like I’ll be making another soup tomorrow with the cold front that’s moving in. :)

27. Nads January 22, 2014 at 6:45 am #

LOL, here we go again thinking alike. I just bought a big can of hominy and cooked a pork butt to use the leftover bits and pieces for posole two days ago and was going to make it tonight for dinner! Posole is the only way Jim will eat hominy. This sounds so good! They may like it better than my traditional. I only have one link of chorizo so maybe I could combine the pork and chorizo? I have plenty of mushrooms and spinach and all those new chili powders from Season With Spice. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Yum, can’t wait.

• mj January 22, 2014 at 8:58 am #

Thanks so funny!!! I personally enjoy this soup better than a traditional posole because it isn’t near as heavy and the overall flavor was more complex, plus you get your vegetables in. :) Have fun cooking today! Let me know how you like it.

28. Sanjeeta kk January 22, 2014 at 2:49 am #

Posole! What an interesting ingredient, MJ…I remember mom freezing fresh corn kernel the same way (minus lime water) during winter season. How wonderful to know different ways of cooking with corn.

• mj January 22, 2014 at 8:55 am #

Thanks Sanjeeta! Right now my freezer has several bags of frozen corn from this summer and now a few bags of frozen posole from Costco. I guess one could say I love corn. :)

29. easyfoodsmith January 21, 2014 at 11:26 pm #

Never heard of hominy or posole and I always find it so intriguing when I am left wondering how that must be tasting. The soup looks comforting and I am sure it tasted great. It is always nice coming to your blog and learning about a new ingredient/dish. :-)

• mj January 22, 2014 at 8:54 am #

Thanks so much Darlin! I wish I could describe the flavor to you but I can’t think of another “taste” that is similar. Even though posole is a corn product, it really doesn’t taste like corn. It’s very rustic, earthy and somewhat smokey in flavor with bit of lime. And yes, it does taste wonderful and your home smells great for a couple of days afterwards. :)

30. Raymund January 21, 2014 at 10:07 pm #

This is one of the ingredients I kept on hunting eversince I came here in NZ, hominy. We had this stuff back in the Philippines and now I am craving for them

• mj January 22, 2014 at 8:51 am #

Thanks Raymund! I bet it is hard to find in NZ. You can always find it online, but then the shipping costs might require the sell of your house first. :)

31. John@Kitchen Riffs January 21, 2014 at 7:36 pm #

Posole has such wonderful flavor! I haven’t made any for ages, and really need to move it up on my big list of stuff I want to make! I really like the mushrooms in this — they look great and help add depth to the flavor, I’ll bet. I can find dried posole, but I have to look for it (not every store carries it). Never thought to look in the frozen section — I’ll do that. Really nice recipe — thank you.

• mj January 22, 2014 at 8:50 am #

Thanks so much John! If you can’t find the dried where you are, try The chile shop. I know you shop there at times and it used to sell dried posole. If not, check out some of the other chile suppliers I linked too. Chimayo Chile Brothers sell a blue corn posole which is quite interesting. :)

32. Bill January 21, 2014 at 5:22 pm #

Here in the midwest, the only nixtamalized corn available locally is canned hominy. I have to admit that I have never been able to make any dish from canned hominy that has had a pleasing flavor. On the other hand, I have some dried blue corn posole that I have ground into grits. I have been making blue corn grits with green chiles and have found them to be excellent. My home ground grits are a bit coarser than store bought. I cook them in an old bean crock, which does a good job with little attention. My experience with the grits has made me want to try the blue corn posole in other dishes and this may be one that I try soon. I will probably use my home made chorizo.

• mj January 22, 2014 at 8:47 am #

Thanks so much for your comments Bill! I have always found a big difference between posole and canned hominy. Hominy just is lacking in flavor in comparison. Thank goodness I live in a place where the dried, frozen and fresh varieties are abundant. Koodoos for grinding your own grits!!! I bet they are delicious! I believe you can purchase blue corn posole from the Chimayo Chile Brothers and even frozen posole from Chile Monster. Hope you get to try this soup!

33. Debra January 21, 2014 at 4:53 pm #

Although I am not a fan of posole, I love all the other ingredients in his dish. Great combo of flavors!

• mj January 22, 2014 at 8:43 am #

Thanks Debra! It’s interesting, I was never a fan of hominy until I had posole. Go figure. :)

1. Posole’ with Italian Sausage and Kale | MJ's Kitchen - October 7, 2014

[…] you are not familiar with posole’, then check out “What is Posole’?” Here in New Mexico it’s relatively easy to get fresh, dried or frozen posole’, […]

2. Chorizo Posole Soup | IMG Recipes| Share Your Favorite Recipes, Cooking Tips & Food Images - April 10, 2014

[…] Chorizo Posole Soup A hearty and delicious soup made with posole (hominy), mushrooms and chorizo.For full “Chorizo Posole Soup” recipe click here […]