Persimmon Cranberry Parfait

A simple persimmon parfait made with granola and yogurt. Nothing fancy, just good.

Next time you get a craving for something sweet and healthy, delicious and easy to make, give these Persimmon Cranberry Parfaits a try.  They’re nothing fancy but they definitely will make you feel like you’re eating something fancy.  Fresh persimmons and dried cranberries are heated in orange juice and a splash of liquor, then layered with yogurt, granola and a few chopped nuts.  A delicious little treat in less than 15 minutes!

The Yogurt – My favorite yogurt is Cream Top Brown Cow Maple Yogurt. It’s so good. If you don’t have maple yogurt, you could add a little maple syrup to plain yogurt or use vanilla yogurt.

The Granola – A simple granola with no dried fruit works best, except of course if the granola has dried cranberries.  If this is the case, then omit the dried cranberries in the fruit mix. If the granola has nuts in it, all the better.

The Chopped Nuts – A few chopped nuts on top of the fruit adds more crunch. The nuts you use should be complementary of the granola.  For this particular parfait, I used an almond granola and chopped almonds for the topping.

The Liquor – Because the fruit is only heated in the microwave or left to macerate, the alcohol is not cooked out.  Therefore, if you don’t use alcohol, then just leave it out. It’s really not needed to make this parfait delicious, but it does however make it extra delicious.  If you don’t mind alcohol, then Cointreau, Grand Marnier, bourbon, brandy, or cognac all work just great.

Serving Suggestions – This makes an excellent dessert or snack, or lunch or breakfast (if you omit the liquor, or maybe not :)).

After making this Persimmon Parfait, if you have more persimmons, try this Persimmon Carparcio – another quick and easy recipe that lets the persimmons shine.

Tags: , ,

53 Responses to “Persimmon Cranberry Parfait”

1. fati's recipes December 21, 2013 at 6:07 pm #

Did my comment go through?
    The one about how I love persimmon so very much? We’d eat them right out of their skins back in Syria when we’d go holiday there.
    This is a really refreshing way of serving them up, and so healthy too :)

2. fati's recipes December 21, 2013 at 5:59 pm #

Oh my gosh, MJ, I lalalalalaloooove persimmon!!
    You’ve presented them in such a tantalising way. Like they aren’t already. During my breaks as a child when we went to Syria we would eat these right out of their skins. So delicious! :)
    Bookmarked for future inspiration. We don’t see them as often here, but when I do I’d love to whip this up!

3. Terra December 18, 2013 at 9:18 pm #

Every year I always say I will make something with persimmon. Yet I still have not baked or cooked with them….I need to change this right? :-) I love your flavor combination, mixing in cranberries sounds fantastic! Yum, Hugs, Terra

4. Nami | Just One Cookbook December 18, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

I definitely didn’t know cranberries and persimmons can go well together. I have both in my house too. I’ll try with Greek yogurt (that’s only thing I have now) and no liquor version after I pick up my kids today!

5. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz December 17, 2013 at 11:48 am #

Love, love, love persimmons. This is a great recipe. it may be simple but it is elegant and persimmons makes things so exotic.

6. Sanjeeta kk December 17, 2013 at 4:40 am #

Yogurt is my favorite ingredients too..and I use it in almost all of my recipes. Love this refreshing parfait..I would leave the fruit in ornage juice, as I don’t like the taste of hot orange juice. Hope your festive preps are in full swing, MJ. Hugs.

7. beyond the peel December 16, 2013 at 11:31 am #

This is a fruit I really need to learn more about. This is the perfect introduction to including it in a simple way.

8. Nancy/SpicieFoodie December 16, 2013 at 11:12 am #

My mouth is watering so much right now! They look and sound fancy to me;) Now, I wonder if persimmons exist here, I’ll have to go find out. Thanks for sharing MJ! xx

9. Raymund December 16, 2013 at 2:29 am #

Now I know what to do with the persimmons that I get from my colleagues when they bring some at the office, thanks for the recipe

10. Katerina December 15, 2013 at 11:27 pm #

My mother in law has two persimmon trees in her courtyard. I will definitely keep this recipe to try it when we will be given some fruits. Beautiful colors!

11. Ramona December 14, 2013 at 6:15 am #

Okay… I think I have never had persimmons before. I do love a yummy parfait… so now need to try to find some. :) I love the color.,, looks like a sunset in your glass :)

12. Charles December 13, 2013 at 4:07 pm #

Ah, for the first time (really!), a persimmon recipe which actually makes me want to eat it. I’m not a huge fan… they always seem so sweet with no real defining flavour… just “sweetness”, but this looks like a lovely combination of textures and flavours. Very elegant!

13. Sissi December 13, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

The pictures are so beautiful, they have made me roll this page up and down several times. So elegant and so refreshing! Especially in these cold months when we keep on eating heavy, rich desserts (or maybe it’s only me…). This would be perfect for the lazy days I’m having. I have been dreaming of a cake for several weeks but somehow cannot force myself to start whipping the egg whites, baking… Now that I think I have never made anything with persimmon. Ever. Cranberries must give it a nice tangy kick. In short, it sounds fantastic.

14. Treat and Trick December 13, 2013 at 10:46 am #

What a wonderful combo and all done in 15 minutes!

15. Bill December 13, 2013 at 1:40 am #

I’m so glad you did this post, MJ. My colleague has a persimmon tree in her back yard and just brought me some. I’ve not done much with persimmons and I was wondering what I could make. After reading this post, my decision is made! This sounds SO good! Great post!

• mj December 13, 2013 at 2:01 pm #

We’ll perfect timing! Hope you do give them a try. Enjoy!

16. ChgoJohn December 13, 2013 at 12:20 am #

I’ve only had persimmons by themselves and that was ages ago. This parfait that you’ve created sounds wonderful, MJ. This is such an attractive way to serve them, too. I agree they would make a great snack but I think many dinner guests would love to have this parfait served to them. It’s no ordinary parfait. :)

• mj December 13, 2013 at 1:59 pm #

Thanks so much John! Oh yea, this would be great for quests!

17. Liz December 12, 2013 at 7:59 pm #

What gorgeous parfaits! Can you believe I’ve never tasted a persimmon? And they grow around here….I need to take the plunge :)

• mj December 13, 2013 at 1:58 pm #

Oh Liz… You really need to give persimmon a try. You’d love it! Thanks!

18. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles December 12, 2013 at 7:32 pm #

Oh my goodness MJ, this sounds positively heavenly… (and very fancy in my books ;-)). Does it ever look beautiful too — I love how the layers come through – colourful and interesting. And now that I just happen to be positioned in sunny California, I’m perfectly poised to make this delightful parfait :) (persimmon heaven!). I suspect this would work equally well heated in a little pot on the stove? I’m adding this to my Recipe Wish List :).

• mj December 13, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

Thanks so much Kelly! I bet you do have persimmon coming out your ears over there. Oh let’s see….yep I’m sure heating on this stovetop would work. :). I get lazy some times and, for short heat ups, the microwave is queen. :)

19. Carolyn Jung December 12, 2013 at 3:05 pm #

I’ve been enjoying something similar for lunch lately. Just with the addition of pomegranate seeds. Not only is a parfait like this good for you, but it just looks so festive, too, with those beautiful colors.

• mj December 13, 2013 at 1:53 pm #

Yum! Pomegranate! That sounds good! Thanks!

20. Viviane Bauquet Farre - Food and Style December 12, 2013 at 2:02 pm #

Gorgeous pictures, MJ. I love the color contrasts.

• mj December 13, 2013 at 1:52 pm #

Thanks Viviane! Persimmon makes a good subject. :)

21. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef December 12, 2013 at 5:03 am #

I love persimmons but I’ve never paired them with cherries OR put them in a parfait. You genius!

• mj December 13, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

Maureen, you’re so sweet! They are good with cherries and cranberries. I’ve also mixed them with blueberries with good results.

22. Angie@Angie's Recipes December 12, 2013 at 1:56 am #

I don’t use persimmon enough in my recipes…your parfait looks so inviting, MJ. Gorgeous clicks as well.

• mj December 13, 2013 at 1:48 pm #

Thanks so much Angie!

23. Hotly Spiced December 11, 2013 at 10:38 pm #

These look incredibly good. I love the colour of the persimmons and your glasses are very pretty. I love a dessert that isn’t going to take all day to prepare yet has that fine-dining look about it xx

• mj December 13, 2013 at 1:46 pm #

Thanks Charlie! I’m always looking for anything that doesn’t take all day to throw together. :)

24. Giulietta | Alterkitchen December 11, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

Ok, NOW I’m craving something sweet ;)

• mj December 11, 2013 at 7:44 pm #

Thanks Guilia! This makes a great sweet breakfast. :)

25. Gintare @Gourmantine December 11, 2013 at 1:16 pm #

This is such a perfect excuse to get some persimmons, I don’t use them enough and probably skipping liquor would make a wonderful breakfast1

• mj December 11, 2013 at 7:43 pm #

Thanks Gintare! I hope you enjoy it if you get a chance to make it.

26. Debra December 11, 2013 at 11:21 am #

I just ran across a recipe from a friend for persimmon bread which has me thinking…where do you get persimmons??? I love this parfait!

• mj December 11, 2013 at 7:42 pm #

Thanks Debra! I’ve been getting my persimmons at Costco and the local co-op. I also saw them at Smith’s the other day. Hope you find some. Persimmon bread is awesome!

27. Deb December 11, 2013 at 10:24 am #

Such a compelling dessert! Persimmons are often overlooked when they are such a sweet winter treat! And a healthy sweet during the holidays is so refreshing!

• mj December 11, 2013 at 7:41 pm #

Thanks Deb! I started making this once the pies were gone from Thanksgiving. :)

28. Deena Kakaya December 11, 2013 at 9:49 am #

What a lovely use persimmon, I got lots in the house right now so may give this recipe a whirl x

• mj December 11, 2013 at 7:40 pm #

Thanks Deena! Hope you enjoy!

29. John@Kitchen Riffs December 11, 2013 at 9:45 am #

Really great dish! I simply don’t do enough with persimmons. I’m missing out, because their flavor is wonderful. And speaking of flavor, I don’t think I’ve ever had persimmons paired with cranberry. Love the idea! And you know me – the liquor would not be optional. ;-) Good recipe – thanks.

• mj December 11, 2013 at 7:40 pm #

Thanks so much John! I crave persimmon season as much as I do peach season. When the persimmons are really ripe the cranberries add a bit of tartness to balance out the sweetness of the persimmon and the maple. Yep- I knew YOU would never even consider “optional”. :)

30. The Wimpy Vegetarian December 11, 2013 at 8:49 am #

Brown Cow is my yogurt of choice too, but haven’t tried the maple flavor. Clearly I need to correct that oversight. I think I’ll just cut the liquor and have this for breakfast with my Brown Cow plain yogurt with a drizzle of maple syrup. I have a persimmon begging to be eaten. Perfect timing for this post of yours!!

• mj December 11, 2013 at 7:38 pm #

You really need to big up the maple flavor next time. I buy the BIG size. :) Oh – it’s the holidays – liquor for breakfast is allowed. He he. I hope you like it enjoy it Susan!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian December 13, 2013 at 10:02 am #

I made it and loved it! I always get the big tubs too, although this maple yogurt isn’t going to last long!! It adds just the right amount of maple. I think I’ll try it in a pound cake for fun and see what happens.

• mj December 13, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

Oh I’m thrilled that you liked this! Thanks so much for letting me know! I see that I’ve turned your into a maple yogurt lover. :) let me know if do make a pound cake with and how it turns out.

31. Asmita December 11, 2013 at 6:54 am #

Gorgeous parfait I wouldn’t want to miss. Yummy!

• mj December 11, 2013 at 7:36 pm #

Thanks so much Asmita!

32. Gloria December 11, 2013 at 5:09 am #

Looks very delicious.. Beautiful pics

1. Persimmon Parfait | IMG Recipes| Share Your Favorite Recipes, Cooking Tips & Food Images - April 10, 2014

[…] Persimmon Parfait Persimmon Cranberry Parfait – A simply delicious parfait that takes less than 10 minutes to makeFor full “Persimmon Parfait” recipe click here […]