Southwestern Migas (Scrambled Eggs, Green Chile and Tortillas)

Southwestern style migas is a dish that consists of scrambled eggs, green chile, and fried corn tortillas

Migas (Spanish for “crumbs”) is one of those dishes that is different in different countries.  In the southwest, migas is a simple scrambled eggs dish with, at the very least, some fried corn tortillas (the “crumbs”) and chile pepper. Southwestern migas and Tex-Mex migas are basically the same dish with a variety of possible ingredients. Sometimes you’ll see additional ingredients like onions, cheese, tomatoes, chorizo or avocado.  Here in New Mexico, you’ll still find different versions of migas, but the one constant is, yes – you know what it is – New Mexico green chile.

Today I’m sharing the southwestern style migas I have been making for years.  I normally fry my own tortilla strips but have been known to use store bought tortilla chips, especially when I’m hungry and I don’t want to spend the time frying the tortillas. The ingredients and process for migas are simple and the final dish goes great with a side of beans, Spanish rice, or potatoes.  The migas below are being served with leftover Roasted Fingerling Potatoes.  If you feel like jazzing the eggs up even more, I’ve provided you with a list of additional ingredients or toppings.  Experiment, have fun, and eat well.

In the southwest U.S., migas is a breakfast dish made with scrambled egg, green chile and fried corn tortillas

The Corn Tortillas – The recipe calls for 2 corn tortillas, but I usually fry up 4 or 5 because we eat at least half of them before I’m ready to put them in the eggs.  Since frying the corn tortillas is the most time-consuming process of this dish (about 10 minutes), you could choose to fry up even more tortillas and save some to be used in another dish, like Butternut Squash Soup with Apple and Red Chile.  Or, bypass the process altogether and break up store bought tortilla chips into the eggs.

The Cheese – A mild cheddar is our favorite cheese for migas but, aged or sharp cheddar work just fine, as do Monterey Jack, mozzarella, or feta.

The Toppings – Some restaurants choose to pile on the toppings, so if you choose, go for it.  Add more green chile or even red chile for that matter, add a dollop of sour cream or guacamole, or some chopped tomatoes and lettuce, or a scoop of salsa.  It’s all good!

The Green Chile – If you don’t have New Mexico green chile, you can substitute with roasted, peeled and chopped poblano peppers, chopped jalapeno, chipotle adobo, or your favorite salsa.  It you do use salsa or even tomatoes, be sure to wait until the eggs are almost set before adding, otherwise you’ll end up with watery, gummy eggs.  If you don’t have any chile peppers at all, then throw in some chile pepper flakes or chile powder.

If you like this egg dish, then I’m sure you like these:

Huevos Rancheros – Fried eggs with Cheese and Red Chile Sauce

New Mexico Christmas Breakfast - Scrambled eggs and Chorizo breakfast

I just got hungry for some Southwestern Style Migas! How about you? :)

These Southwestern Migas have been shared with the following:  Made with Love Monday,  Heath and Soul  .

Tags: , , ,

69 Responses to “Southwestern Migas (Scrambled Eggs, Green Chile and Tortillas)”

1. Corina February 26, 2014 at 11:59 pm #

These sound like a lovely breakfast. I love scrambled eggs but don’t usually put as many things in with them.

• mj February 27, 2014 at 7:38 pm #

Thanks Corina! I usually don’t put much in my scrambled eggs either, but this is the one exception. :)

2. Javelin Warrior February 25, 2014 at 1:13 pm #

Roasted green chiles sound like the perfect way to warm up in the middle of winter, MJ! I love the the sound of this dish and the homemade crispy fried tortillas sound fantastic.

• mj February 26, 2014 at 8:24 am #

Thanks Mark! These are definitely are favorite scrambled eggs. :)

3. Carol at Wild Goose Tea February 7, 2014 at 2:43 pm #

Living alone I eat a lot of eggs. This is easy and different. I have never heard of putting the friend tortillas in the eggs. Wow a whole new world!

• mj February 7, 2014 at 8:27 pm #

Thanks for your comment Carol! These are great eggs. In fact, they are our favorite scrambled eggs. I hope you give the a try.

4. fati's recipes December 21, 2013 at 6:05 pm #

This is a really nice take on the traditional egg dish. Thanks for sharing :)

5. Nancy/SpicieFoodie December 16, 2013 at 11:04 am #

The more I read your blog, the more I realise that New Mexican cuisine is so similar to Mexico’s. I grew up eating migas but didn’t really know the name (other than eggs with tortillas) until a few years ago. Your migas are making my tummy hungry and love the use of NM green chile!

6. Asmita December 11, 2013 at 6:55 am #

Lovely! Good for anytime of the day!

• mj December 11, 2013 at 7:21 pm #

Definitely! We just had them for supper. :) Thanks!

7. retete culinare December 11, 2013 at 2:08 am #

Bun acest punct de vedere, sunt fericit ca l-am descoperit si citit. Multumesc pentru subiect individual ce detine necesitate de grija.

8. Anne@FromMySweetHeart December 10, 2013 at 10:19 pm #

Oh beautiful dish, MJ! Anytime I’ve ever made myself scrambled eggs….I’ve always wished for some texture! I think the tortilla chips would give me just that! And the roasted green chiles would certainly jazz these up for me! And great ideas for variation! Oh how I want to come have breakfast with you! : )

• mj December 11, 2013 at 7:33 pm #

Thanks Anne! Oh yes – the recipe really does provide texture as well as flavor to scrambled eggs. You know that you are welcome here any time my friend! :)

9. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl December 10, 2013 at 9:45 pm #

I’m going to pass on this recipe to my other half in hopes that it appears at our brunch table this weekend.. :) Can’t wait!

• mj December 11, 2013 at 7:30 pm #

Hope it works. A subtle hint like that has worked for me at times as well. :) Thanks Pamela!

10. Amy (Savory Moments) December 10, 2013 at 5:02 am #

I love breakfasts like this! It looks so good and very filling/hearty! I would love for someone to make it for me this weekend :-)

• mj December 11, 2013 at 7:29 pm #

Thanks Amy! Wish I were there to cook them up for you. :)

11. Abbe @ Abbe's Cooking Antics December 10, 2013 at 2:25 am #

How is it possible that you can even make scrambled eggs look amazing?!?

HOW?!?

• mj December 11, 2013 at 7:28 pm #

Thank you sweet Abbe!!! It’s easy with green chile. :)

12. ATasteOfMadness December 10, 2013 at 12:36 am #

Holy moly wow. I think I could eat this all day and not get sick of it. This looks fantastic!

• mj December 11, 2013 at 7:28 pm #

I’m with you. I’ve been making these for years and we still enjoy them. Thanks!

13. Raymund December 9, 2013 at 5:27 pm #

This is a nice early morning stater dish

14. Bill December 9, 2013 at 10:43 am #

Great looking breakfast, MJ! I love eggs with a lot of stuff in them. I also love fried tortillas but I’ve never had them in eggs. Sounds delicious! You always inspire me toward southwestern flavors! Hope you guys have great holidays!

• mj December 11, 2013 at 7:24 pm #

Thanks so much Bill! It’s amazing the flavor and the texture that the corn tortillas imparts on the eggs. So good! Hope you guys have a great holiday as well!!!

15. Sanjeeta kk December 9, 2013 at 9:41 am #

I learn so many new dishes from your blog MJ…and how can I not mention your wonderful ‘notes’ section!

• mj December 11, 2013 at 7:25 pm #

Thanks Sanjeeta!!! My Kitchen notes reflect how I cook – never the same way twice. :)

16. Gintare @Gourmantine December 9, 2013 at 7:13 am #

Wow, this would be so good for lunch, so filling and comforting!

• mj December 11, 2013 at 7:26 pm #

Thanks so much Gintare! It is a plate of comfort food!

17. easyfoodsmith December 9, 2013 at 2:53 am #

Love this version of scrambled eggs with tortillas. Shall try them for the breakfast tomorrow.

• mj December 11, 2013 at 7:26 pm #

Thanks! Hope you enjoy them!

18. Balvinder December 7, 2013 at 7:45 pm #

That’s a gorgeous gluten free lunch for me. I too add tortilla strips or polenta scraps in my scrambled eggs.

19. beyond the peel December 7, 2013 at 10:51 am #

Ok! That sounds like the perfect breakfast. I was going to make an omelet but that sounds so lame compared to this. It’s minus 30 and eggs, chilies and tortillas sounds wonderful.

• mj December 7, 2013 at 7:37 pm #

thanks so much Frances! Oh yes – these are much better than an omelet in my opinion, unless of course the omelet has green chile in it. :)

20. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles December 6, 2013 at 5:12 pm #

“yes – you know what it is – New Mexico green chile.” LOL!! Love it MJ. The defining moment in the scramble :).

This sounds utterly delicious and I like the idea of inter-mingling the corn tortillas with the egg which would be both unusual and welcome here — a fun treat and different way to enjoy from our usual. Your eggs look so pretty next to the fingerling potatoes too – so colourful and inviting. Lovely dish.

• mj December 7, 2013 at 7:36 pm #

Caught that did you? :) The corn tortillas truly make this dish! Even though store bought chips are good, it’s best with home fried tortillas. The potatoes were one of those pleasant accidents. I needed a side and there they were in the fridge, just waiting for something to go with. :) They worked great in the picture and tasted fabulously with the migas.

Hope you’re having a great weekend Kelly!

21. Viviane Bauquet Farre - Food and Style December 6, 2013 at 3:10 pm #

What a great recipe for a spicy kind of day… simple, perfect brunch food!

• mj December 7, 2013 at 7:30 pm #

Thanks Viviane! Breakfast, brunch, Sunday night dinner – it’s all good!

22. Hotly Spiced December 6, 2013 at 1:56 pm #

When my Archie makes his breakfast, he loves to make scrambled eggs and he always pours green chilli sauce all over them. He loves his breakfast but it doesn’t look as elegant as yours! I think he’d love your recipe xx

• mj December 7, 2013 at 7:29 pm #

Thanks Charlie! Well, there is certainly nothing wrong with pouring green chile sauce all over eggs. YUM!

23. wok with ray December 6, 2013 at 9:55 am #

I love all of the Southwest cooking that you are doing because they are hearty and makes the tummy happy. They are just great-down-to-earth comfort food. This dish is one of them and it looks very delicious and hearty breakfast. Have a nice weekend MJ! :)

• mj December 7, 2013 at 7:28 pm #

Thanks Ray! Southwestern cuisine and to me, New Mexico cuisine, is genuine comfort food. :) So glad you’re enjoying it. Hope you’re having a nice weekend as well!

24. Sissi December 6, 2013 at 3:18 am #

For me it’s such an unusual dish while for you it must be an everyday staple ;-) I love everything with eggs playing an important role, so this definitely is something I would enjoy, especially since it looks and sounds incredibly good. (I say it’s unusual but apart from Mexican origan I can buy everything here!). Talking of green chile, I usually don’t like stuffed olives, but recently a nearby shop started to sell green olives stuffed with jalapeños and they are really delicious (though not even medium hot… just slightly). It’s a nice change from plain olives.

• mj December 7, 2013 at 7:26 pm #

Thanks so much Sissi! Well, it’s not an everyday, but it is an every week staple. :) Oh I love jalapenos stuffed olives, but if you really want HOT olives, see if you can find habernos stuffed olives. OMG! So good, but so hot!

• Sissi December 13, 2013 at 2:47 pm #

Thank you for the tip. I thought I was alrady lucky to get olives with jalapeños, but who knows…

25. Nami | Just One Cookbook December 6, 2013 at 12:09 am #

This sounds so good. Totally brand new dish to me, yet I’m already in love. Very interesting combination with eggs, chilies and fried tortillas! Sounds amazing spelling them out! :D

26. Barb Bamber December 5, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

My daughter made something like this but without all these lovely ingredients. I’ll have to show this one to her, it’s so awesome to have a new idea for breakfast and this is one they can take on the go as well!

• mj December 5, 2013 at 8:32 pm #

Thanks Barb! I hope you and your daughter do give them a try. They’re really good!

27. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef December 5, 2013 at 7:40 pm #

I just had American sausage and biscuits for breakfast but now I want this! I’m sure I have room left. Love it.

28. Ramona December 5, 2013 at 5:23 pm #

Looks absolutely heavenly!! I have a ton of tortillas in my fridge…. this must make an appearance for breakfast, lunch or dinner. :)

• mj December 5, 2013 at 8:31 pm #

Well, it sounds like you need to start frying up some of those tortillas. I know how you eat, so I know you will love these! Thanks!

29. Minnie@thelady8home December 5, 2013 at 4:13 pm #

I love making scrambled eggs in different ways, and this one would be a great addition. Spicy and filling too. Lovely!

• mj December 5, 2013 at 8:30 pm #

Thanks so much Minnie! I hope you give them a try!

30. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz December 5, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

This looks great and a nice change for a plain scrambled egg. Very adaptable too. And roasted fingerling potatoes are a great side for this…for any meal of the day!

• mj December 5, 2013 at 8:30 pm #

Thanks Evelyne! Oh yes – they are quite adaptable and YES – the fingerlings go with just about anything! :)

31. Debra December 5, 2013 at 12:14 pm #

I love egg dishes like this–especially when they could easily be used for dinner!!!! :)

• mj December 5, 2013 at 8:27 pm #

Thanks Debra! Yes – this are great for dinner!

32. John@Kitchen Riffs December 5, 2013 at 10:31 am #

Migas are good stuff! I haven’t had this dish is a good half year or more – I definitely need to again! I often use salsa, and you make such a good point that you need to add it towards the end. It’s still good, but as you say, the eggs get really runny otherwise! Terrific dish – thanks.

• mj December 5, 2013 at 8:21 pm #

Thanks John! So glad I was able to remind you of a good thing that you need to make. :) I think we cook so much and are always trying new things that sometimes we forget about the oldie but goodies. :)

33. Judy @Savoring Today December 5, 2013 at 9:50 am #

Yum! What a tasty breakfast, MJ, great for guests in over the holidays too. Love all the flavors.

• mj December 5, 2013 at 8:19 pm #

Thanks Judy! Oh yes – guests love it, especially those that don’t live in the southwest and are eating them for the first time.

34. Vicki Bensinger December 5, 2013 at 8:55 am #

YUM my family would love this for breakfast, lunch or dinner. These eggs are exploding with flavor. Hmm gives me an idea for dinner this evening. Great recipe!

• mj December 5, 2013 at 8:18 pm #

Thanks Vicki! Oh yes, I have been know to serve this for dinner myself, especially Sunday night dinner. Hope you enjoy!

35. Angie@Angie's Recipes December 5, 2013 at 8:15 am #

Simple and delicious…that’s my kind of supper!

36. Isa December 5, 2013 at 8:13 am #

Hello Ms MJ,

Just wanted to tell you that I love everything about your blog…the recipes, the virtual literal steps, and the visual pics that make just want to grab your dish and eat it right there and now :))

As for Migas, this was one of the first dishes I learned to prepare as a child from my mother. Your version reminded me so very much of hers except for the fact that she would also add diced tomatoes when you added the onions.
    Looking back, I think one of my favorite versions of migas was to add papas, chorizo, spinach, rajas de pasilla, and green onion.

Thank you for helping me remember good eats and good ol’ days with mi mama.

• mj December 5, 2013 at 8:16 pm #

OH Isa, thanks so much for the nice comments! I’m so glad I was able to send you down memory lane thinking of the good ole days with your mother. Sounds like some great memories! What a great version of Migas! I’ve added chorizo at times, but usually put the potatoes on the side. Thanks again and hope to hear from you again!

37. Gloria December 5, 2013 at 7:46 am #

Looks interesting dear…

38. Nisa Homey December 5, 2013 at 6:16 am #

Mj, so glad to find the recipe that you mentioned in the comment on my blog, and you are right this is so similar to my Chilly Parotta!!

1. My Favorite Foodies: An Interview with MJ of MJ’s Kitchen | Spicie Foodie - February 22, 2014

[…] for images in the graphic and photos can be found in the links below. (Main graphic top L-R) Southwestern Migas (Scrambled Eggs, Green Chile and Tortillas), Swiss Chard Leek Quiche, Shrimp and Grits, Green Chile Chicken Mushroom Soup, Smoky Polenta with […]