25 Recipes to Spice up the Holidays

Are you bored with green bean casserole for the holiday?  Do you need ideas for something different?  Well if you do, here are some recipes that will spice up your holiday celebration in one way or another.

For Starters…

Black-eye Pea Chipotle Dip

Blackeyed Pea Chipotle Dip with chips

Green Chile Cheese Toasts by Scarletta Bakes

Orange Chipotle-Spiced Pecan Mix by Eat Yourself Skinny

Vegetable Sides

Green Chile Succotash

Lima beans, corn, and green chile succotash

Mexican Greens Beans with Eggs by Spicie Foodie

Roast Cauliflower with Chilli Oil by With A Glass

Calabacitas

A bowl of calabacitas (squash, green chile, and corn)

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apple, Chile & Walnuts by Food52

Spicy Stir Fried Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries by Soni’s Food (Indian Inspiration)

Bourbon Carrots with Red Chile Powder

Sweet and Spicy bourbon carrots - Add a little maple syrup and chile powder

Chili Garlic Green Beans by Oh My Veggies

Cucumber and Chiles Salad by Red or Green?

Sauteed Mushrooms with Onion and Spice

Sauteed Mushrooms with chile powder and paprika

Braised Cipolline Onions by Southern Boy Dishes

Leeks Baked in Cream by Diary of a Tomato

Roasted Fingerling Potatoes

Fingerling potatoes roasted with smoked paprika

Cinnamon Chile Roasted Sweet Potatoes by Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice

Green chile Potato Gratin by Everyday Southwest

Corn, Tomato and Green Chile Tamales

Tamale with corn, mushroom, green chile - vegan

Butternut Squash Stuffed Poblano Chiles by East of Eden Cooking

Quick Corn Relish by Kitchen Riffs

Massaged Kale and Sweet Potato Salad

Massaged Kale, roasted sweet potatoes and feta cheese salad

Sweets and Treats

Chocolate Pudding – New Mexico Style

A chocolate pudding seasoned with red chile powder, cinnamon and ginger

Mexican Chocolate Cookies by Gen Y Foodie

Tres Leches Pumpkin Flan by Tortilla and Honey

Tags:

30 Responses to “25 Recipes to Spice up the Holidays”

1. fati's recipes January 11, 2014 at 7:10 am #

Absolutely loved this roundup, MJ! Particularly drooling over the roasted fingerling potatoes, I can’t wait to make those! YUM! :D

2. mj December 29, 2013 at 9:06 pm #

Thank you all for your nice comments! I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and are looking forward to a very Happy New Year!

3. Liz December 29, 2013 at 7:08 pm #

I love how you put a SW twist into all your recipes! So unique, so yummy!!!

4. Purabi Naha | Cosmopolitan Currymania December 27, 2013 at 10:32 am #

That Chipotle dip looks so tasty…the sauteed mushrooms look so delish too, and so are the rest of the dishes. YUM!

5. Yi @ Yi Reservation December 25, 2013 at 10:25 pm #

What a wonderful collection of recipes! I am little overwhelmed but I’ll get through all the delicious dishes and make some of them soon. Thanks for sharing!

6. Angie@Angie's Recipes December 22, 2013 at 9:06 pm #

MJ, this is a great collection of holiday treats. Thank you for taking time to do the roundup.
    Happy Holidays to you and yours!
    Angie

7. Terra December 22, 2013 at 2:03 pm #

Okay, this is a pretty fantastic round-up of recipes. My eyes are locked on your lovely tamales recipe. I wanted to make tamales for Christmas Eve, but may not happen till January now. This month kinda ended up being crazy with travels to Michigan. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas! Hugs, Terra

8. Sanjeeta kk December 22, 2013 at 3:21 am #

Awee…that Bourbon yummy carrot…that Mexican Pudding….am now totally confused as to which to choose for my holiday indulgence. Festive greetings to you and your family MJ!

9. Jodee Weiland December 20, 2013 at 8:11 pm #

MJ, you just made my holiday complete…I love these recipes! I love spicy, and no one does it better than you! Thanks again…as always!

10. Sissi December 20, 2013 at 8:14 am #

I am blind!!! I have noticed only your gorgeous photos and haven’t seen the link to my blog!!!! Thank you so much, MJ! I am so flattered and proud to be cited here! Thank you so much again!

• mj December 29, 2013 at 9:01 pm #

You are most welcome Sissi! I’ve been thinking of the roasted cauliflower ever since I first saw it! Was very pleased to feature it.

11. Sissi December 20, 2013 at 8:00 am #

MJ, it is such an excellent idea to post several Christmas food ideas in one post! I think I did it last year and actually checked myself my own post when I lacked inspiration ;-)
    Your propositions not only look delicious, but so different from what I have ever had for Christmas. I’m sure I’d love your Christmas menu.

12. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies December 19, 2013 at 5:52 pm #

I love the idea of a Southwestern-inspired holiday dinner! Thanks for including my green bean recipe too!

13. Asmita December 19, 2013 at 8:22 am #

Hi MJ,
    What a superb round up! Lots of great recipes and ideas.
    Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

14. Raymund December 18, 2013 at 8:40 pm #

This is a very nice collection of recipes!

15. Nami | Just One Cookbook December 18, 2013 at 3:11 pm #

I love checking out roundup – I often end up with finding more recipes that I want to cook than I need, but this is a great way to re-discover favorites! Sharing 25 recipes with spices is a brilliant and unique idea!

16. Jen December 18, 2013 at 10:21 am #

This is the year of the brussel sprouts for me. I have made them ten different ways from Sunday and still can’t get enough of them.

17. Deena Kakaya December 18, 2013 at 8:04 am #

What a lovely set of recipes, the orange and chipotle combo sounds fab! X

18. Giulietta | Alterkitchen December 18, 2013 at 12:57 am #

Great ideas, my friend! :)

19. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles December 17, 2013 at 8:40 pm #

What a great idea for a post MJ – thank you! And you’ve offered up so many delicious choices all categorized for us too! — it’s like reading a beautiful menu at a fancy, spicy restaurant ;-). Your bourbon carrots are calling my name… Kelly… over here….I’ve got to work them in to our holidays and those braised cipolline onions have got to be the prettiest darn alliums I’ve ever seen! I hope you don’t mind if a hover over here for a while and enjoy the view :0).

20. Bill December 17, 2013 at 7:38 pm #

Thanks for featuring my braised onions, MJ! Great collection of holiday dishes! Happy holidays!!

21. The Wimpy Vegetarian December 17, 2013 at 3:56 pm #

What a great selection! Of all the wonderful things that caught my eye, the tamales win! I took a week-long cooking class a few years ago in Albuquerque and we made some of the best tamales!!

22. Gintare @Gourmantine December 17, 2013 at 11:37 am #

Really great round up MJ, I’m hosting a major party this weekend and I think I might just be trying some of your suggestions, the black eye dip sounds particularly good!

23. John@Kitchen Riffs December 17, 2013 at 10:21 am #

Great roundup of holiday goodness! Super selection. And thanks for including my corn relish!

24. Deb December 17, 2013 at 10:10 am #

Thank you for including my Butternut Stuffed Poblanos! A dash of southwestern flavors mingling in my holiday cooking is just what I need to remind me of traveling in New Mexico during the holidays!

25. Debra December 17, 2013 at 8:29 am #

I like spicy! What a great roundup of recipes. I am with Ramona—I am making that black eye pea dip as soon as I am able.

26. Judy @Savoring Today December 17, 2013 at 6:45 am #

MJ, this is a mouth-watering collection! So many great ideas to spice things up for the holidays. YUM!

27. Soni December 17, 2013 at 6:18 am #

Ooh I love this spicy menu and especially your spicy dip and the tamales! The perfect ending would be that gorgeous pudding of course :)Thanks so much for including my Brussels Sprouts too :)

28. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef December 17, 2013 at 5:35 am #

You make the most exquisite yet oddball (to us in Australia) food ever. I love every recipe you share and this lot is terrific. Happy Christmas!

29. Ramona December 17, 2013 at 4:51 am #

I want to add all these to my menu. :) I especially love your black eye pea dip. :)