Pasta With Leek Confit and Mushrooms

A vegetarian pasta with leek confit, mushrooms, and sweet red peppers

Today’s pasta with leek confit and mushrooms was inspired by a wonderful leek confit that I saw over at The Wimpy Vegetarian back in January. I’ve made this confit several times, using it as the base for pizza and a toss for vegetables and rice – always resulting in a delightful dish.  However, one of our favorite uses is tossing it with pasta.  In this dish, mushrooms and sweet peppers are added to the confit during the last 10 minutes of simmering. The vegetables are then toss with pasta and topped with Pecorino Romano.  The resulting dish is a delicious, hearty and healthy meal, a great dish for Meatless Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday, or any day of the week.

A vegetarian pasta with leek confit, mushrooms, and sweet red peppers

A vegetarian pasta with leek confit, mushrooms, and sweet red peppers

The Herbs – As you can see, the only thing that I have changed with the confit recipe is to add the sage which goes quite well with mushrooms; however, you can use any herbs that you want.  I’ve also used tarragon with mushrooms which is another complementary herb for this dish.

The Sweet Peppers – Any type or color of sweet pepper would work.  This dish was made with the same type of sweet peppers that I used in my Spicy Sweet Red Pepper Soup.

The Mushrooms – White button mushrooms were used in this particular dish; however, baby bellas or shiitakes would be just as good.

The Pasta – Linguine, vermicelli, spaghetti, or farfalle are best.  They are relatively lightweight pastas which work well with this vegetable mixture  Penne, ziti, fusilli or rotini are too heavy for this particular dish; therefore, I don’t recommend them.

A Recommended Meat Topping – This dish really doesn’t need anything other than the cheese; however, one night I rendered some diced salami in a hot skillet and toss it in with the pasta and vegetables.  It was a nice smoky, salty addition to the dish and I know I’ll use it again.

There are very few pasta and vegetable dishes that I don’t like, but this Leek Confit and Mushroom Pasta has become one of my favorites.

Tags: ,

60 Responses to “Pasta With Leek Confit and Mushrooms”

1. Debra October 5, 2013 at 8:49 am #

I agree. Meatless “everyday” of the week. This looks really fall-like and delicious.

2. Carole October 4, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

Leek confit – that’s a new one for me… Hope things are going well for you, MJ. Cheers

3. cquek October 4, 2013 at 11:08 am #

These sound so good!

4. Helene D'Souza October 4, 2013 at 9:51 am #

How did I miss the leek confit!?
    Of course I am always looking for a new pasta recipe. They are always quick to make and usually my husband likes all variations and flavor ideas. Otherwise he can be so difficult… I just introduced him to leek a few weeks back. We don’t get this veggie so easily here and I had made a leek onion soup and leek tart. Thanks for sharing your recipe, I ll treasure it.

• mj October 4, 2013 at 3:48 pm #

Thanks Helene! I had never heard of leek confit until I saw it over at Susan’s. Now I’m addicted to it! There are SO many ways to use it. I’ve only just begun. :) Hope you enjoy!

5. Bam's Kitchen October 4, 2013 at 7:11 am #

Leeks, mushrooms and sage is a lovely aromatic accompaniment to pasta. Perfect fall dish

6. Anne@FromMySweetHeart October 3, 2013 at 9:06 am #

Oh..that looks really delicious, MJ! I LOVE the mild flavor of leeks. Unfortunately, the first (and only) time I worked with them, I did not clean them well enough and my soup tasted like the beach! I’ve been afraid to try them again….but this pasta looks amazing and I love trying non traditional pasta recipes….so you might have me triple washing my leeks in preparation for this one! : )

• mj October 3, 2013 at 11:56 pm #

I hat bead cooking experiences because they are so are to get over. Hope you are able to move past Anne, because any with leeks is worth it! Thanks for stopping by my friend!

7. Terra October 2, 2013 at 9:05 pm #

Did you say base for a pizza? I am so in then!!!! This recipe sounds amazing:-) Hugs, Terra

• mj October 3, 2013 at 11:54 pm #

Oh Terra – you would adore this confit on pizza!

8. Abbe @ Abbe's Cooking Antics October 2, 2013 at 2:42 pm #

I am loving leeks at the moment, and anything cooked with butter speaks to my heart (in a good way). Beautiful recipe, MJ and beautiful photo :)

9. Ramona October 2, 2013 at 2:34 pm #

I love leeks and don’t seem to buy and cook them enough. This is a beautiful pasta dish and as a veggie lover… I would enjoy this very much. :)

10. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz October 2, 2013 at 9:34 am #

Your pasta dish is stunning and looks so good. I love leeks and this is a great way to use them. Bookmarked!

11. wok with ray October 2, 2013 at 8:11 am #

Who needs meat if you have all of these goodies and my favorite meaty chunks of mushrooms (no fun intended). This is a beautiful comfort food, MJ. :)

• mj October 3, 2013 at 11:53 pm #

Thanks ray! Totally agree – who needs meat?! Have a great weekend!

12. Gintare @Gourmantine October 2, 2013 at 7:42 am #

Beautiful dish, MJ, can’t believe how many recipes I’ve missed while away, always a pleasure reading your posts!

• mj October 3, 2013 at 11:52 pm #

Thanks G! Glad to see you back! :)

13. Kate@Diethood October 2, 2013 at 12:43 am #

Leek Confit… sounds so complicated, yet it isn’t, and it’s SO GOOD! I love this dish. My husband would most likely marry it, if he could.

• mj October 3, 2013 at 11:52 pm #

When I first saw “leek confit”, I thought complicated as well. But it’s so easy and so good! Thanks Kate!

14. Viviane Bauquet Farre - Food and Style October 1, 2013 at 9:46 pm #

This looks delicious, MJ! I love the presentation, as well — the red and black of the plate with the red pepper and black bits of the mushrooms… restaurant perfect!

• mj October 1, 2013 at 10:34 pm #

Thanks so much Viviane!

15. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles October 1, 2013 at 8:22 pm #

Confit has got to be one of the most elegant words in the French dictionary. It makes every dish sound sublime ;-) and in my world view, there’s nothing quite like a little butter fat to draw out the flavour of vegetables… delish! (love the combination of leek and shrooms too). Your pasta looks gorgeous MJ – the colors are blazing against your lovely table linen and dish. Autumn is written all over this beautifully prepared meal.

• mj October 1, 2013 at 10:34 pm #

I had to smile when I read your comment, because I too LOVE saying the word “confit”. :) Totally agree on the butter fat – it doesn’t take much, but this dish wouldn’t be the same without it. Thanks for the comment on the pictures. I had to go back to the article I sent you because the food isn’t really that pretty, so I tried to make the setting colorful. :)

16. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef October 1, 2013 at 6:50 pm #

That does look good! Clever dish.

17. Reeni October 1, 2013 at 6:43 pm #

What a gorgeous pasta! I love all the flavors you incorporated! The leek confit sounds pretty special.

• mj October 1, 2013 at 10:29 pm #

Thanks Reeni! The confit IS quite special. :)

18. CCU October 1, 2013 at 6:42 pm #

This pasta looks quite magnificent my friend :D
    Delicious!

CCU

19. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies October 1, 2013 at 5:51 pm #

Ooh, this sounds absolutely DELICIOUS! I love leeks and mushrooms, especially with pasta. :)

20. The Wimpy Vegetarian October 1, 2013 at 5:29 pm #

I’m just catching up after my latest travels and what a nice surprise when I checked out what you’ve been cooking lately! Thanks so much for the lovely shout-out !! I’m so glad you liked the confit – I use it year round for so many things now. And you’ve come up with a fantastic way to use it. I’ve this pasta with all the mushrooms :-)

• mj October 1, 2013 at 10:28 pm #

My pleasure Susan! You know how much I love the confit. I just had to share it and hopefully more people can enjoy it. Let’s see, I first made it in January and again several times since then, so I think it’s going to be a year round dish for me as well. :) Thanks so much for such a great recipe!

21. Hotly Spiced October 1, 2013 at 4:29 pm #

Leek and mushroom pasta! This looks incredible. I will have to give this a try. Pasta is a favourite here for a mid-week meal xx

• mj October 1, 2013 at 10:27 pm #

Thanks Charlie! Pasta usually ends up being a mid-week meal for us as well. It’s quite, hearty and delicious, isn’t it? :)

22. Giulietta | Alterkitchen October 1, 2013 at 11:17 am #

Leek and mushrooms is quite an interesting combination.. I love it!

23. john@kitchenriffs October 1, 2013 at 9:23 am #

What a great way to use leeks! i love this – so many great flavors. And I can never get enough pasta dishes. Really a creative recipe – thanks so much.

• mj October 1, 2013 at 10:25 pm #

Thanks John! I have to be honest that I can’t get enough of Susan’s leek confit! You’d love it!

24. Swathi October 1, 2013 at 9:08 am #

That is really delicious pasta, my daughter love pasta very much MJ.

25. Katerina October 1, 2013 at 8:33 am #

Leeks add such a sweet flavor to the food. This is a very hearty and packed with flavors pasta dish!

26. Karen (Back Road Journal) October 1, 2013 at 7:23 am #

I love that you added sage…it goes so well with mushrooms. This has to be such a delicious pasta dish.

• mj October 1, 2013 at 10:24 pm #

thanks Karen! It is quite good and the leek confit really makes it!

27. Tessa October 1, 2013 at 7:11 am #

I love the flavors and colors of this dish! Looks delicious MJ!

28. Judy @Savoring Today October 1, 2013 at 7:09 am #

Mmm, I like the addition of sage and what a colorful dish! Really nice one, MJ, saving this to my ‘must try’ file. :)

• mj October 1, 2013 at 10:23 pm #

Thanks Judy! The sage is really great with this vegetables.

29. Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com October 1, 2013 at 6:39 am #

I love leeks, but have never tried sweet peppers with them – but after seeing your recipe, I simply must!
    Thanks for sharing!

• mj October 1, 2013 at 10:22 pm #

Thanks Shashi! The sweet peppers are a great complement with the leeks!

30. Jennie @themessybakerblog October 1, 2013 at 6:36 am #

Wow, this dish looks delicious. I love all the flavors happening in this recipe. Pinned!

• mj October 1, 2013 at 10:22 pm #

Thanks for the comment and the pin Jennie!

1. Leeks Braised with Preserved Lemon and Tarragon | MJ's Kitchen - October 30, 2013

[…] Pasta with Leek Confit and Mushrooms […]