Spicy Sweet Red Pepper Soup

A spicy soup make with sweet peppers and spicy red chile peppers

For several weeks now I’ve been buying these beautiful organic sweet peppers from the growers’ market and putting them in just about everything along with roasting them and freezing for winter. In addition to these sweet peppers, fresh red chile peppers are now available, and the organic red bell peppers are so abundant that prices have dropped considerably.  Therefore, when the rains came a couple of weeks ago and brought cooler weather, it was a perfect time to make this Spicy Sweet Red Pepper Soup.

This soup is best made with fresh, roasted peppers.  You can use a mix of sweet peppers and red chile peppers, or, if you can’t find fresh red chile, then substitute with a red chile sauce, or red chile powder.  Throw in a nice, big, meaty brandywine tomato, and you have a a comforting soup bursting with flavor.  Make a grilled cheese sandwich as a side and you’ve got a complete meal.

An assortment and sweet peppers and red chile peppers

A spicy soup make with sweet peppers and spicy red chile peppers

The Sweet Peppers – Any sweet peppers can be used and any color (except green).  I like to use all red peppers, because I usually use red chile sauce and all red peppers make such a beautiful soup.  For a spicy sweet yellow soup, you could use all yellow sweet peppers and yellow hots.

The Spicy Component – This soup is best with either red chile sauce or roasted red chile peppers.  If you have neither, you could use chile powder, but of the three choices, it’s the one I prefer the least.  Chile powder adds a little bit of “powdery” texture to this particular soup which, for some, can be off-putting.

Amount of Spice Component – The amount of spice is personal preference.  The hotter the chile, the less I use.  It’s easy for the chile to overpower the sweetness of the sweet peppers, especially if you using chile sauce or powder.  Taste the red chiles or chile sauce prior to adding it to the soup.  If it’s hot, then use the smaller amount. If you find it pleasantly spicy, then the larger amount indicated in the recipe could be used.

The Tomato – Any tomato could be used in this soup, including canned tomatoes if that’s all you have.  If you use fresh tomato, you do want to peel it in order to have a smooth pureed soup. For this soup, the easiest way to peel the tomato is to cut the tomato into 4 to 6 large pieces and add to the soup.  After about 30 seconds you’ll see the skin peeling off.  Just lift it off the tomato pieces using tongs.  This process save time in peeling the tomato separately.

This soup is a great warm me up for cooler fall temperatures and a fabulous way to use some of the beautiful peppers at the markets during the fall.  It could be served as a starter to a meal or as the meal itself.

This Spicy Sweet Red Pepper soup has been shared with the following blog hops:  Hearth and Soul, Made With Love Monday   .

Tags: , , , ,

47 Responses to “Spicy Sweet Red Pepper Soup”

1. Javelin Warrior October 21, 2013 at 8:33 pm #

You had me at grilled cheese :D I love the sound of a roasted pepper soup – so much more so than boring tomato soup. And the color is so beautiful… What a delicious soup, MJ!

2. Asmita October 11, 2013 at 8:06 am #

Gorgeous soup!Love the color and I am sure is so tasty!

3. Nami | Just One Cookbook October 1, 2013 at 1:14 pm #

What an amazing beautiful color soup, MJ! I love sweet red peppers, but haven’t tried them in soup. This is something I need to try this fall/winter. <3

4. Nusrat Azim September 27, 2013 at 11:05 am #

This is a never-heard-of soup to me! But it looks so inviting, provocative, pretty, breathtaking!
    How can I not try it?

I fell in love with your lovely blog at the very first sight. So following you :)

• mj September 27, 2013 at 7:22 pm #

Thanks so much Nusrat! So glad you dropped by and I hope to see you again! Your comments are greatly appreciated!

5. Angie@Angie's Recipes September 26, 2013 at 4:32 am #

Love the combo of hot and sweet flavours, MJ. The soup must be very tasty and warming.

6. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com September 25, 2013 at 5:51 pm #

I love roasted peppers and the idea of turning it into soup. Luscious :)

7. Giulietta | Alterkitchen September 25, 2013 at 10:24 am #

This soup is great! I’d love that… and try and make risotto with roasted peppers… amazing! :)

• mj September 26, 2013 at 9:26 am #

Thanks Giulia! Oh – roasted peppers and risotto does sound amazing! I’ll try it!

8. Treat and Trick September 25, 2013 at 9:45 am #

The color is just lovely and I’m sure it tasted fabulous!

9. Sissi September 25, 2013 at 6:33 am #

MJ, first of all excuse me such a long absence on your blog. I went on quite long holidays to Japan and it was so busy and exhausting, I had hardly any time to go on internet. Your soup looks absolutely gorgeous and I can well imagine it in a fancy restaurant, especially when presented in the way you did.

• mj September 26, 2013 at 9:25 am #

You’re so sweet Sissi! I figured since you haven’t been posting that you were off having fun. You know that your trips to Japan make me very jealous! :) I hope you had a great time and I know I’ll be seeing some dishes from your visit soon. Thanks for your comments as always!

10. Karen (Back Road Journal) September 25, 2013 at 6:05 am #

Love the vivid color of your soup. It is definitely soup weather here in New England and this would be terrific with a grilled cheese sandwich.

11. Liz September 24, 2013 at 6:51 pm #

What a terrific soup…I’d love mine with a grilled cheese like you suggested. And the olive brine for a secret ingredient sounds perfect! Great idea.

• mj September 26, 2013 at 9:24 am #

Thanks Liz! It’s amazing what a little bit of olive brine does to a soup. I use it a lot.

12. Vicki Bensinger September 24, 2013 at 10:28 am #

So beautiful and your photo is stunning! I really need to learn to take better photos. I read a lot about it but just haven’t mastered it. I think I need a class.

Great soup, I’d love to have a bowl of this right now. I’m printing this off to try later. Thanks for sharing it.

• mj September 26, 2013 at 9:23 am #

Thanks so much Vicki! I do struggle with the photos because I am NOT a stylist. My husband is a professional photographer, so he taught me a lot when I first started, especially the technical stuff. It still doesn’t come easy. I hope you get a chance to make this soup. It’s really good!

13. Minnie@thelady8home September 24, 2013 at 7:30 am #

The color is gorgeous! I want to dig in a spoon and never stop. Yumm!

14. Katerina September 24, 2013 at 4:28 am #

The colors are amazing and the soup must have this distinctive pepper flavor I love!

15. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise September 24, 2013 at 1:03 am #

I love how warm the color of that soup is and since I am a big fan of red peppers, I can’t wait to give it a try

16. Swathi September 23, 2013 at 2:31 pm #

That is delicious and beautiful red pepper soup. I love to dig in.

17. Jodee Weiland September 23, 2013 at 1:02 pm #

Absolutely love this recipe! I have always liked sweet red pepper soup, but make it spicy and now I love it! I, also, wanted to mention how much I enjoy your kitchen notes…very helpful! Thanks!

• mj September 23, 2013 at 8:45 pm #

Thanks so much Jodee! It’s good to know what people like, so thanks for letting me know about the Kitchen Notes. I think my Kitchen Notes evolve because I never make anything the same way twice. :)

18. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz September 23, 2013 at 11:47 am #

This is such a pretty soup and I am sure it tastes fantastic. Love a little spicy warmth in there too. Very curious about the brine from a jar of olives, great idea.

• mj September 23, 2013 at 8:43 pm #

Thanks Evelyne! I use olive brine in a lot of dishes. It adds a little acid to the dish, and a little bite. You should give it a try.

19. Nancy/SpicieFoodie September 23, 2013 at 9:15 am #

The colour of your soup is gorgeous — as are the peppers too! We have similar peppers in season here, so I need to go buy some and give your soup a try. It’s making my mouth water. Thank for sharing, MJ:)

• mj September 23, 2013 at 8:42 pm #

Thanks so much Nancy! I just love fresh peppers – sweet and spicy. It doesn’t matter. I roasted up a big batch of red chile peppers Saturday and they were so good in our breakfast grits. :)

20. Raymund September 23, 2013 at 1:26 am #

Look at that rich chilli colour of that soup, the flavors must be robust

• mj September 23, 2013 at 7:45 am #

Thanks Raymund! The flavors are quite robust.

21. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen September 22, 2013 at 7:31 pm #

I love the combination of spicy and sweet… this is such a pretty fall soup recipe.I think tomato has to be a favorite of mine since I was small. xx

• mj September 23, 2013 at 7:43 am #

Thanks Barbara! It’s interesting that the tomato in this soup is more of a filler and adds some acid to the soup, but the pepper flavors are really the stars of the show.

22. Debra September 22, 2013 at 5:29 pm #

I am ready for soup season! This would be delicious with a grilled cheese!

• mj September 23, 2013 at 7:42 am #

Grilled cheese is what we serve it with! :) Thanks Debra!

23. Choc Chip Uru September 22, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

The colour of this soup is so enticing in itself, the presentation and super spicy flavour is a bonus :D

Choc Chip Uru

• mj September 23, 2013 at 7:42 am #

Thanks so much Uru!

24. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles September 22, 2013 at 11:38 am #

I thought that was coconut you had on top of your lovely soup and I was thinking, wow, what a courageous/interesting choice… red pepper soup is delicious — lately, we’ve been enjoying a combo of red pepper and lobster bisque but I confess it is store bought. Your homespun version would be so much better – love the olive brine! and that photo of the colourful peppers MJ… wonderful! We are heading to the market in a few minutes, I think I will pick up some pretty peppers :).

• mj September 23, 2013 at 7:41 am #

Thanks Kelly! Hum – coconut. Now that would be an interesting twist on this soup. You’ve got me wanting to try it. :)

25. john@kitchenriffs September 22, 2013 at 9:30 am #

Love the picture of the pepper! So pretty – they have gorgeous color and luster. Great looking soup, too. I’ve never met a chile I didn’t like, and you’re bringing a ton of chile flavor to this soup. Good stuff – thanks.

• mj September 23, 2013 at 7:40 am #

Thanks John! It’s easy to take a pretty picture when you subject matter is so gorgeous. The peppers this year are amazing! Being a fellow chile lover, I think you would love this soup.

26. Terra September 22, 2013 at 8:23 am #

What a lovely recipe, and would be perfect to throw in thermos and travel with! Perfect recipe to kick off fall! Hugs, Terra

• mj September 23, 2013 at 7:34 am #

I never thought about putting it in a furnace for travel, but yes – this is the perfect soup for that. Thanks!

27. Ramona September 22, 2013 at 5:19 am #

Beautiful soup..I love the color. I have never had a just a roasted pepper soup… so this is a must try. :)

• mj September 23, 2013 at 7:33 am #

Thanks Ramona! I’ll never forget the first time I had a roasted pepper soup. It was at a fancy restaurant and the moment I tasted it, I vowed to make one. It was so good!

1. Red Pepper Soup | IMG Recipes| Share Your Favorite Recipes, Cooking Tips & Food Images - April 11, 2014

[…] Red Pepper Soup A spicy sweet soup made with roasted red sweet peppers and roasted chile peppersFor full “Red Pepper Soup” recipe click here […]

2. Hearth And Soul Blog Hop:#173/10/8/1013 - October 8, 2013

[…] Beef from 21st Century housewife. Spicy Sweet Red Pepper Soup from MJ kitchen Creamy tomato soup from Gluten freeSCD and Veggie Itakiet Stew from Chef Mirellie’s Gourmet […]

3. Pasta With Leek Confit and Mushrooms | MJ's Kitchen - October 1, 2013

[…] The Sweet Peppers – Any type or color of sweet pepper would work.  This dish was made with the same type of sweet peppers that I used in my Spicy Sweet Red Pepper Soup. […]

4. New Mexico Red Chile | MJ's Kitchen - September 22, 2013