Peach Pecan Ice Cream

A no cook fresh peach ice cream with toasted pecans

Oh the many, many fond memories of making fresh peach ice cream out in the back yard. I have always loved peach season, not only for the juicy, ripe peaches, but also for the peach ice cream.  Growing up, we made it a tradition to make several batches of peach ice cream during peach season. Whenever we picked up a bushel of peaches, I knew some of them would end up in ice cream.  Bobby and I were able to continue that tradition for many years due to our lovely peach trees.  During peach season, our friends would gather on the back porch and we would all take turns churning the ice cream bucket.  Those were the days when ice cream was made outside in a 1 ½ gallon container surrounded by ice and rock salt, and everyone had to work for their serving.  Now a days ice cream is made on the kitchen counter and in much smaller amounts.  With my ice cream maker, I still have to manually churn it, but that’s o.k.  It doesn’t make near the mess and the clean up is a whole lot easier!

This summer we’ve been able to get some really, really good peaches, so a batch of this fresh Peach Pecan Ice Cream each week has been a regular menu item. The first couple of batches didn’t have pecans, but then a few weeks ago I decided to thrown in some toasted pecans that were leftover from brunch. With the first bite we both knew that it was going to be very hard leaving the pecans out of any future batches.  If my big batch ice cream maker weren’t rusted out from years of ice and rock salt, I can guarantee that I would be making a HUGE batch of this.

This peach ice cream is a no cook ice cream. It relies solely on the peaches and a can of sweetened condensed milk to provide the sweetness, and with nice, ripe peaches, that’s really all it needs.  There are only five (5) ingredients:  sweetened condensed milk, half and half, vanilla extract, fresh peaches and toasted pecans.  This ice cream can be thrown together in less than 10 minutes, poured it into an ice cream maker and churned.  If you don’t have an ice cream maker, check out the Kitchen Notes for how to make it without an ice cream maker.

A no cook fresh peach ice cream

Fresh Peach ice cream with toasted pecans

The Peaches – During the late summer and fall, fresh peaches in this ice cream are a must.  There is nothing better than fresh peach ice cream. However, if you can’t find fresh peaches, then use frozen peaches.  Canned peaches might work, but I’m not a fan of canned peaches except in cereal.  Also, the sweeter the peaches the better, but that should go without saying. :)

Additional Sweetener – So far I haven’t had to add any additional sweetener because the peaches have been remarkably sweet.  However, if you do want your ice cream sweeter, I would recommend maple syrup rather than sugar.  If you do use sugar, then warm up the half and half and add the sugar.  Stir until dissolved.  By heating up the half and half you’ll need to  refrigerate the finished ice cream mix and chill before adding to the ice cream maker.

The Pecans – If you don’t have pecans or are allergic, then just omit the nuts all together.  This ice cream is just as good without them.

No ice cream maker? – Pour the ice cream into a large bowl or pan and set in the freezer.  Stir it every 30 minutes for a couple of hours, then every 15 minutes until nice and thick.  Put back in the freezer for another 30 minutes before eating.  This process might take all afternoon, but if you have the time, it’s worth it.

As you can see, this Peach Pecan Ice Cream is about as simple as it gets to make, and will easily become one of your favorites!

For more ice cream ideas, here are some of my favorites:

Salted Pecan Chocolate Ice Cream

Purple Yam Ice Cream from Wok With Ray

Mango Ice Cream from Curry and Comfort

Butterscotch Ice Cream from Rathai’s Recipes

Coffee Ice Cream from Just One Cookbook

Ice Cream Roundup (over 200 recipes) from Cravings of a Lunatic

Three more delicious no cook ice creams from Gourmatine

Grilled salad with figs, okra, peaches and a meat

Looking for another idea for fresh peaches? Check out Nadalyn’s Grilled Peach, Okra, and Fig Salad from last summer.

FetishWorthyFoodx225W

This Peach Pecan Ice Cream has been shared with Hearth & Soul  .

Tags:

75 Responses to “Peach Pecan Ice Cream”

1. Gloria March 28, 2014 at 2:12 pm #

I’m craving for this right now…looks creamy & delish…

• mj March 30, 2014 at 9:11 am #

Thanks Gloria!! It’s really good and I can’t wait for peaches to come in season so I can make it again. :)

2. Diane Balch August 18, 2013 at 11:15 am #

Perfect timing on your recipe. We are picking our peaches in our yard today. Thanks for sharing this wonderful ice cream with us on foodie friday.

• mj August 18, 2013 at 1:55 pm #

You are most welcome Diane! I hope you enjoy. I made another batch yesterday. We can’t get enough. :)

3. Swathi August 13, 2013 at 9:18 am #

Delicious ice cream, I finally bought ice cream maker, I need to inaugurate sure I will try this one.

• mj August 13, 2013 at 7:26 pm #

Sounds like a marvelous idea! Hope you enjoy!

4. minnie@thelady8home August 13, 2013 at 5:34 am #

What I adore about this post is how easy this recipe is. I don’t have an ice-cream maker, so I am going for the non-churn method. Peach-pecan-maple sounds like a great combo too. Bookmarked.

• mj August 13, 2013 at 7:26 pm #

Thanks Minnie! “Easy” is one of the things that I like about it too. :) Hope you do give it a try and love it as much as we do.

5. Carolyn Jung August 10, 2013 at 2:07 pm #

I finally broke down and bought an ice cream maker. Peach was one of the first flavors I made, too. I’m definitely trying it with pecans next time. Sounds like a perfect addition.

• mj August 10, 2013 at 6:52 pm #

Thanks Carolyn! There’s nothing like a good peach ice cream is there?! :)

6. April @ The 21st Century Housewife August 10, 2013 at 7:35 am #

Oh my goodness, this looks amazing MJ! I love the idea of peach pecan ice cream, and this sounds so easy to make. I’m so glad you added those pecans, they are my favourite!

• mj August 10, 2013 at 11:26 am #

Thanks April! It is SO easy and SO good. Hope you try it!

7. Amber @ The Cook's Sister August 5, 2013 at 12:22 pm #

Mmmmm this ice cream looks amazing! I have a bunch of peaches from the market. I might have to give this a try!

• mj August 8, 2013 at 10:16 am #

Thanks Amber! I hope you do try it. You’ll love it!

8. Shannon | Just As Delish August 4, 2013 at 9:37 am #

I love peaches, just wish they are cheaper here. I’m sure these peach ice cream are lovely too! I’ve read of a really simple no ice cream maker recipe.. just whip the cream, incorporate other ingredients & freeze. No stirring every 30mins required

• mj August 4, 2013 at 10:23 pm #

Sorry to hear that peaches are expensive where you are. They’ve been quite reasonable here this summer. That other method of no cooked ice cream looks great! I’ll have to try it. Thanks for sharing!

9. Nami | Just One Cookbook August 4, 2013 at 3:25 am #

I haven’t tried making ice cream using condensed milk – that’s something I have been thinking about trying. When I came back to the States I bought a box of peaches from Costo…I couldn’t resist the smell. I have to make ice cream next! Thank you so much for including my Coffee Ice Cream recipe… that’s very sweet of you, MJ! Thank you!!! xoxo

• mj August 4, 2013 at 10:22 pm #

Welcome home Nami! Hope you had a wonderful trip! Costco – that’s where I’ve been getting my peaches this summer. They’ve been amazing and make great ice cream. :) and you are most welcome! Love your coffee ice cream!

10. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen August 3, 2013 at 9:33 pm #

You got my mouth watering over this! I can’t wait to have an ice cream maker!

11. Kate@Diethood August 3, 2013 at 11:31 am #

Swoooooon…. MJ, I LOVE THIS! I am printing the recipe and making it today!

• mj August 3, 2013 at 1:02 pm #

Thanks so much Kate! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

12. Sissi August 2, 2013 at 11:59 am #

What a gorgeous ice-cream! I try to imagine the peach aroma combined with the pecan nut’s crunchy texture and the creaminess of the ice-cream basis… Having your own peaches must make it the best peach ice-cream in the world. Guess which is my favourite sorbet in my favourite Italian ice-cream shop (to the point that I ask for it every time I go because it’s only for several weeks every year). Yes! It’s peach sorbet! I often wonder if peach is my favourite fruit… I would certainly put it among the top three fruits. Thank you for encouraging those who don’t have ice-cream makers. I really must give your method a try. The main reason I have been dreaming of making my own ice-cream/sorbets is exactly the sugar issue: my beloved Italian ice-creams are always too sweet… while, as you say, fruit is often so sweet, it doesn’t require any sugar.
    I bet you are having very cooling evenings with this beautiful refreshing treat.

• mj August 3, 2013 at 9:18 am #

Thanks so much Sweetie! Now you have me wanting to try peach sorbet! I’ve never had peach sorbet probably because I can never get past making ice cream and/or cobbler. Hopefully, I can find more peaches so I can give peach sorbet a try. Sounds wonderful! Oh I wish I still had those peach tress. I miss them so, but this was a good years for peaches here so we’ve been taking advantage. You really should give the no maker method a try. I works great for this particular recipe for some reason – better than most. Hope you’re having a great weekend my friend!

13. Asmita August 2, 2013 at 4:50 am #

Peach – pecan ice cream sounds divine! Would love to try it!

14. Amy (Savory Moments) August 2, 2013 at 4:39 am #

I really love that you combined pecans with the peaches in this ice cream. It looks really delicious!

15. Azlin Bloor August 2, 2013 at 1:57 am #

How do you do it? You keep coming up with so many delicious little treats! I love this ice cream, the peaches must go so well with the condensed milk!

• mj August 3, 2013 at 9:13 am #

Thanks so much Azlin! I’ve had years and years of practice. :)

16. Vicki Bensinger August 1, 2013 at 9:41 pm #

We’re eating peaches like they’re going out of style. We just can’t get enough. I never even thought to turn it into ice cream and with pecans too. This just sounds incredible.

I wish we had an ice cream machine here but years ago I taught an ice cream camp to kids and we did it the rock salt way you mentioned so I could do that. I may have to try blending mine with some Greek yogurt. Hmm, now you’ve got me thinking and hungry. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

• mj August 3, 2013 at 9:12 am #

Thanks Vicki! Any time I eat peaches, I’m thinking of ice cream or cobbler. That classic cobbler recipe that you used for your blueberry cobbler makes a delicious peach cobbler! :)

17. Charles August 1, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

That looks amazing MJ – and so easy too? I can’t believe it’s so simple to chuck together! We have some fantastic peaches right now (don’t they have an intoxicating aroma when ripe?) – this would be a perfect thing to try on the weekend!

• mj August 1, 2013 at 5:23 pm #

Thanks Charles! Oh I so agree! Nothing smell better than a ripe peach. :) Hope you get a chance to make this. Have a great weekend!

18. Danny August 1, 2013 at 9:32 am #

I remember making peach ice cream on your back porch… with those big peaches right off the tree.

• mj August 1, 2013 at 5:22 pm #

I bet you remember the peach daiquiris as well, but then maybe you don’t. :) Thanks Dan!

19. Purabi Naha | Cosmopolitan Currymania August 1, 2013 at 4:17 am #

OH Gosh…mj, this ice cream is making me crave for a bowlful of peach and pecan ice cream right here right now! This is beautiful!! The turnwise ice cream churning in your peach tree garden sounds so good…you are so lucky to have a garden like that!

• mj August 1, 2013 at 5:20 pm #

Thanks Purabi! I sure wish I still had those peach trees, but they did last about 35 years which is an old tree.

20. Anne@FromMySweetHeart July 31, 2013 at 11:32 pm #

Oh MJ….this post made me instantly think of my father! We had 2 big peach trees in our yard which absolutely flourished every season and I always thought that odd, since I grew up in Boston. But we had more peaches than we knew what to do with. I wish my family made ice cream when I was young…but we never did. I know my dad would have loved your peachy pecan version! It looks absolutely beautiful! : )

• mj August 1, 2013 at 5:18 pm #

Thanks So much Anne! Peaches do bring back a lot of memories for people. It is hard to believe that your dad actually had prolific peach trees in Boston! I remember losing a lot of crops due to late frost which I would think, happens often in Boston. Of course coming from the south, I’m SO VERY surprised that peach ice cream was never made. :)

21. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies July 31, 2013 at 5:09 pm #

Peach ice cream sounds like an awesome summer tradition! :) This definitely makes me want to break out my ice cream maker.

• mj August 1, 2013 at 3:43 pm #

Thanks Kiersten! You really should pull out that ice cream maker. Ice Cream is good year round in my book. :)

22. Liz July 31, 2013 at 2:28 pm #

I have been on a peach kick lately! I love that this recipe doesn’t require making a custard…I’d want to make a huge batch, too :)

• mj August 1, 2013 at 3:41 pm #

Thanks Liz! I know what you mean about being on a peach kick. Every time we finish off a flat, I’m out buying more peaches.

23. Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com July 31, 2013 at 11:57 am #

I love peach ice cream – and yours is simply mouthwatering! :)

• mj August 1, 2013 at 3:40 pm #

Thanks Shashi!

24. I am having an obsession with mango ice creams. Is peach flavor next on my list? Possible :)

• mj August 1, 2013 at 3:40 pm #

Thanks Marta! Mango ice cream is next on my list. :)

25. Gourmantine July 31, 2013 at 9:45 am #

Oh how I envy you having peach trees in your yard, though I don’t think any would survive in Dutch weather (I can barely manage to keep my plants alive), that ice cream sounds heavenly!

• mj August 1, 2013 at 3:39 pm #

Thanks G! I wish I still had those peach trees, but unfortunately they have all died. As far surviving Dutch winters – probably not. :)

26. ChgoJohn July 30, 2013 at 8:57 pm #

This looks like a very delicious recipe, MJ, and peach-pecan ice cream is a favorite. I know it’s High Summer when the peach ice cream arrives. Great idea, too, using the sweetened condensed milk. It’s so much easier than making and cooling a custard.

• mj August 1, 2013 at 3:38 pm #

Thanks John! I agree about condensed milk vs. custard. It’s SO much easier and just as good in my opinion. :)

27. Reese July 30, 2013 at 3:49 pm #

MJ, after reading through the delicious post, I almost took the highway and drove straight down to New Mexico so I can knock at your door for two large scoops! Peaches & pecans!! This is one ultimate summer ice cream flavor. LOVE!

• mj July 30, 2013 at 7:31 pm #

Thanks Reese! You know that you and Mark are welcome any time! I’ll pull out the old ice cream maker and make a BIG batch! :)

28. Ramona July 30, 2013 at 3:30 pm #

Peach and pecan…. my taste-buds are dancing just thinking about the combination. It looks really lovely… creamy and divine. :)

29. john@kitchenriffs July 30, 2013 at 10:28 am #

Pecans and peaches? I gotta try this! Sounds like a wonderful combo. The bowl for our ice cream maker basically lives in the freezer at this time of the year, so we’re always ready to make a batch. This looks really excellent – thanks so much.

• mj July 30, 2013 at 7:28 pm #

Thanks John! Yep – Our ice cream bowl stays in the freezer as well.That’s probably a dangerous thing, but it’s better than cake. :)

30. Swathi July 30, 2013 at 9:55 am #

Delicious ice cream Mj you are tempting me to buy ice cream maker, sure I am going to buy one.

• mj July 30, 2013 at 7:26 pm #

Thanks Swathi! I couldn’t make it through the summer with my ice cream maker. :)

31. The Wimpy Vegetarian July 30, 2013 at 9:41 am #

I love this, MJ! Absolutely love it. From unearthing memories of the father of my girlhood best friend churning ice cream in a bucket nestled in ice and salt, to this wonderful ice cream. I’ve never made it this way with the condensed milk, and I love the idea. Now I need to get some great peaches at the Farmer’s Market tomorrow.

• mj July 30, 2013 at 7:26 pm #

Thanks Susan! This was the first time I’ve ever tried ice cream with condensed milk and with just the first batch, I was sold. No additional sugar needed! Hope you find some peaches and if you make this – how you enjoy it!

32. Giulietta | Alterkitchen July 30, 2013 at 9:36 am #

I didn’t make any ice-cream, yet… and yours looks creamy and delicious!

• mj July 30, 2013 at 7:25 pm #

Thanks Giulia and Angie!

33. Angie@Angie's Recipes July 30, 2013 at 7:51 am #

It’s the peak season of stone fruits…this is a timely ice cream recipe. Love your ice cream bowls…

34. Debra July 30, 2013 at 7:27 am #

This sounds delicious. I remember the old ice cream makers my grandmothers had. Not hand crank,but soooo noisy. We would have to stick them on the car port.

• mj July 30, 2013 at 7:24 pm #

Thanks Debra! I’ve use an electric one once and you’re right – loud and obnoxious. I prefer the hand cranked ones.

35. Jennie @themessybakerblog July 30, 2013 at 6:32 am #

I love that you still churn your own ice cream by hand. Hey, it works off the calories before the ice cream even hits your lips–love it! This ice cream looks so fresh and creamy.

• mj July 30, 2013 at 7:23 pm #

Thanks Jennie! Well, my current ice cream maker isn’t very big, so hand churning it is not a problem. The other day I was walking around the backyard with my arm wrapped about the ice cream container, just churning away. :)

36. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef July 30, 2013 at 6:20 am #

I’ve had butter pecan but never ever peach pecan. I think I’d love this combination. It looks so pretty in that bowl!

• mj July 30, 2013 at 7:22 pm #

Thanks Maureen! It is a great combination.

37. Judy @Savoring Today July 30, 2013 at 6:16 am #

Peach season has been a favorite of mine and always brings back memories of climbing up on the roof of the shed so I could pick the warm peaches at the top of the tree. They were so plump the juice would run down my chin and leave evidence on my shirt. I have never found peaches like that in any store, but there is one grower at our famers market that has them mid-August each year. Peach ice cream is very tempting … if I could just get past slicing and eating them. :)

• mj July 30, 2013 at 7:21 pm #

Oh Judy – didn’t you just love those peaches that required a bib? :) Great story of climbing on the shed roof. I use to do that to pick figs. It so hard to find fresh picked peaches at a store, but this year Costco has had some delicious peaches, so we’ve been buying a flat every week.

38. Karen (Back Road Journal) July 30, 2013 at 4:48 am #

Your ice cream brought back memories of 4th of July celebrations when I was growing up in Texas. Peach ice cream was churned outside under a huge oak tree at our friends home. Adding pecans is a terrific idea as butter pecan has always been a favorite ice cream flavor of mine. :)

• mj July 30, 2013 at 7:19 pm #

What is it about the south and peach ice cream? It’s remembered by so many in so many ways. I guess the pecans came to me because butter pecan is also one of our favorite ice creams. :) Thanks for stopping by Karen!

1. Peachy Vanilla Ice Cream ~ #IceCreamWeek! | Juanita's Cocina - October 7, 2013

[…] had stumbled across this recipe for peach ice cream on MJ’s Kitchen, one of my VERY favorite blogs.  MJ added some nuts to her version.  And you can totally do that […]

2. Week in Review: Peaches and the Vulcan of Love | Green Door Hospitality - August 23, 2013

[…] Peach Pecan Ice Cream from MJ’s Kitchen […]