Green Chile Powder and How To Use It

A chile powder made from dried green chiles

Green chile powder is the result of drying fresh picked green chile peppers, removing the stems, and then grinding into a powder.  Removal of the veins and seeds during this process yields a more intense green chile flavor; however, removal of the veins and seeds also reduces the “heat” in the resulting powder, as well as just being a very laborious task.  According to several sources, it takes approximately 18 pounds of fresh green chile peppers to make 1 pound of green chile powder.  The texture of green chile powder is finer and more “powdery” than red chile powder as you can see in the pictures below.

Ground New Mexico Red ChilesA chile powder made from dried green chiles

Earlier this year I received some green chile powder from Diaz Farms and the Chimayo Chile Brothers.  Before now, I had never used green chile powder, probably because I’m such a lover of roasted fresh green chile.  I can get roasted chile easily and inexpensively, so I’ve never thought of looking for a substitute.  However, if you do love green chile, and can’t get fresh green chile or do not want to pay the cost of shipping frozen chile, then green chile powder might be a solution for you.

I’ve now tried green chile powder in many dishes and have found it to work for some and not for others.  The powder has a nice green chile pepper flavor. The mild and medium are both relatively mild, and the “hot” is more of a medium-hot (based on my heat index anyway).  To be able to infuse the flavor and heat of green chile into a dish, you have to use quite a bit of powder, unlike red chile powder that has lots of heat and flavor in just a little bit of powder.  For those of you who like the flavor of green chile, but can not handle the heat, I would recommend mild or medium. Below are several suggestions for green chile powder.  Many I have tried myself and some are suggestions from others.

Green Chile Powder and Eggs

• Scrambled eggs – Whisk 1 to 2 teaspoons green chile powder in with 4 eggs and 1 Tbsp. cream or milk. Add a dash of salt and cook. (Amount depends on how hot you want the eggs)
  • Fried eggs – Sprinkle a generous amount of green chile powder onto fried or poached eggs.
  • Omelet – Whisk 2 teaspoons green chile powder in with the eggs for an omelet.
  • Crab Omelet – Toss some crab meat, green onions and 1 ½ teaspoons green chile powder together.  Use as the filling for an omelet.

Green Chile Sauce

GreenChileSauce_WebWhen you don’t have roasted green chile for a green chile sauce, you can use the powder to make this green chile sauce.  This is a green chile sauce that I developed for the nice folks at Diaz Farms using their green chile powder.

Breads

• Incorporate 2 to 4 tablespoons of green chile powder into yeast breads.  The larger the loaf the more powder you should use.
  • In my Red Chile Garlic Bread substitute the three red chile powders with 1 to 2 tablespoon green chile powder, and use olive oil or a garlic infused oil in place of the chile infused oil.
  • Add 1 to 2 tablespoons green chile powder to cornbread batter for a green chile cornbread.
  • Add to flatbreads and tortilla doughs.
  • Let’s not forget green chile biscuits!

Other Uses

• Green Chile Salad Dressing
  • Incorporate into rubs for a variety of meats.
  • Incorporate into ground meats for hamburgers, meatballs, or homemade sausage.
  • Include it in the aromatics (herbs and spices) for braised chicken or pork.
  • Add to soups and stews.
  • Add to fritter batters.
  • Sprinkle over sliced cucumber with a touch of salt.
  • Add to guacamole for a touch of green chile flavor.

Green chile lasagna from one of my readers:

“I make a version of lasagna in our slow cooker. You use uncooked lasagna noodles, and layer them just like in normal lasagna. Use all your normal ingredients minus the Italian seasoning. When you are making the meat sauce add 1-3 tablespoons of green chile powder base on your heat tolerance. Start with 1 tablespoon and adjust to your taste.
Cover with mozzarella when slow cooker is done. We use 1 hr. on high then 3 hrs. on low. You might have to adjust based on where you live.”

Green Chile Aioli

Aioli made with green chile powder

When my sister, Nadalyn, came to visit a while back, I sent her home with some green chile powder to play with.  Last week she sent me a recipe for a green chile aioli.  After a little bit of tweaking, we came up with this Green Chile Aioli that goes great on burgers, sandwiches and as a vegetable dip. My version used all “hot” green chile and Nadalyn’s used a mix of mild and hot. After sitting overnight, the hot version did have a little bit more of a kick to it than the mild/hot version.

The green chile powder – For a mild heat aioli, use all mild or medium powder, and use at least 2 tsp. if not 3. For a spicier aioli, use all hot chile powder or a mix of mild and hot.  I found 2 tsp. of hot mighty spicy.

The mayonnaise - When Nadalyn sent me her recipe she knew that I would be changing it up a bit because she used Miracle Whip.  Most of our lives we have teased each other about her dislike of mayonnaise and my dislike of Miracle Whip. :)  So if you don’t like mayonnaise, Nadalyn recommends Miracle Whip.  You could also use homemade mayonnaise. I’ll be trying that next.

Aioli thickness – As I’ve already mentioned, the aioli will thicken as it sits.  This is due to the rehydration of the chile powder.  If it is too thick when you get ready to serve it, whisk in a little more lime juice, water, or oil.

Disclaimer:  Other than a generous pound of green chile powder from Diaz Farms, I have received no compensation for this post about green powder. This post was my idea and all opinions expressed here are my own.

Tags:

73 Responses to “Green Chile Powder and How To Use It”

1. Ann Brigman August 11, 2014 at 12:01 pm #

Do you think green chili powder will work as a substitute for fresh or canned green chiliies in the following “put together recipe”?

I ate something similar at a restaurant in Las Vegas, NM at least 20 years ago … a lunch stop between Colorado Springs and Santa Fe. It was love at first bite.

First chance I had I created this recipe from my taste bud memories:

New Mexico Green Chii Stew
    ground or shredded raw or leftover pork, chopped onion, lots of chopped green chilies, chicken broth, salt & pepper, garllic powder, herbs de Provence, etc. Simmer until pork is tender. Add cubed red prottoes and mash up some when potatoes are done. (to thicken) Sometimes I also add hominy.

A bowl of this stew and a few crispy tortillla chips = delicious comfort food and wondderful memories of New Mexico — Chimayo, Taos, Santa Fe, those beautiful blue skies, etc.

Any thoughts on how much green chili powder would be needed for a pot of this stew – enough to serve 4 or 5. Maybe just chili powder or a combination?

Thanks so much for reading about my #1 craving.

Ann Brigman
    San Antonio, TX

• mj August 11, 2014 at 2:36 pm #

Ann, thanks for your comment and question. It’s a good one! :) Would green chile powder work in your delicious sounding GC stew recipe? I wouldn’t replace all of the green chile with it, but you could substitute some of the green chile. The problem I have found with using too much of the powder, is that when it rehydrates it can become “muddy” as my husband calls it. In a sauce it works best, especially when the sauce is used for enchiladas. However, in a chile stew, I would not use any more than 1 Tbsp to 4 cups of liquid. That should give you some extra flavor, but not the texture. I hope this helps. In reference to your recipe, it looks great and the addition of the herbs de Provence is quite interesting. You have my attention with that one. Like you, I sometimes add hominy in place of the potatoes. It’s SO good! Not to boast or anything, but I went and picked up some fresh green chile this morning from this year’s crop. I’m headed out back to roast it now. YAY! It’s chile season! Cheers and thanks again for stopping by! MJ

2. Ray December 3, 2013 at 1:40 pm #

I make a version of lasaga in our slow cooker. You use uncooked lasagna noodles, and layer then just like in normal lasagna. Use all your normal ingredients minus the Italian seasoning. when you are making the meat sauce add 1-3 tablespoons of green chile powder base on your heat tolerance. start with 1 tablespoon and adjust to your taste.
    cover with mozarella when slow cooker is done. We use 1 hr. on high then 3 hrs. on low. You might have to adjust based on where you live.

• mj December 5, 2013 at 9:12 am #

This sounds wonderful! Lasagna with green chile powder – very creative there Ray! I’ll be adding this to the list. Now I wish I had a slow cooker. :)

3. Geri Johnson August 15, 2013 at 10:22 pm #

We use the green chile powder in guacamole – yummy! It adds a wonderful flavor to it! And we also add it to our green chile sauce for our chicken sour cream enchilada casserole.

• mj August 16, 2013 at 8:04 am #

DUH! Adding green chile powder to guacamole is a fabulous idea! I’m going to add that one to the list. Thanks for sharing that!

4. Lori Lynn July 21, 2013 at 11:17 am #

This was very interesting. I hadn’t seen green chile powder before.
    LL

5. Carrie Wyatt July 18, 2013 at 11:19 am #

This green chile powder is made with the finest New Mexico #6-4 variety. Picked before ripening to red, they are dehydrated and de-stemmed before being powdered into a fine and tasty mild chile powder. It takes 18 pounds of fresh green chiles to make one pound of dehydrated chiles; packing this powder with wonderful flavor.

6. Helene D'souza July 14, 2013 at 8:38 am #

Gosh the aioli looks amazing. (stop tempting me MJ today! =P)
    I would always leave the seeds in, in the past I might have not, but now I need some kick in my food. =) Thanks for sharing!

7. Sanjeeta kk July 12, 2013 at 8:14 am #

Never heard and seen green chili powder..you are amazing, MJ! Am gonna try your method of making the same.

• mj July 12, 2013 at 9:54 am #

Thanks Sanjeeta! I think you’d love green chile powder!

8. Amber @ The Cook's Sister July 11, 2013 at 8:54 pm #

B brought home some green chile powder after his last visit in NM. I found, similar to your experience, that it takes a lot of powder to add any flavour to the dish, which is not ideal because we only have one small container of it and his next trip home isn’t until Christmas!

• mj July 12, 2013 at 9:53 am #

Glad to find someone who has tried it! You know, you can order it online. Check out the links I provide in the post. You can get a pound for a relatively cheap price, except for shipping of course depending on location. Hope you get some more soon.

9. Allen @ Cook! Bake! Share! July 11, 2013 at 7:23 pm #

Thank you for the introduction to green chile powder and to Diaz Farms. I especially like the breads and aioli! Allen.

• mj July 12, 2013 at 9:49 am #

Thank you Allen! I hope you check out Diaz Farms!

10. Biren @ Roti n Rice July 11, 2013 at 6:55 am #

I should check out this green chili powder as roasted green chilies which I love are not as easily available here. Use to get the farmer’s market in Colorado to roast half a bushel for me each summer. How I miss roasted green chilies.

Love your aioli. I think I’ll go with the spicy. Would be wonderful with grilled or baked fish.

11. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen July 10, 2013 at 10:10 am #

You’ve got so many new ideas for changing up my recipes just by using green dried chile powder.. especially on eggs, I’d never thought of that. The thought of that aioli on burgers this summer is fantastic:) xx

12. Nami | Just One Cookbook July 10, 2013 at 7:20 am #

I don’t think I’ve seen green chile powder before. All the green chili powder recipes look wonderful, but I love Green Chile Aioli most!

13. Jessica @ My Tasty Theatrical Life July 9, 2013 at 4:24 pm #

This is awesome thank you! I am always looking for ways to incorporate Green Chile into my cooking. My blog will definitely be referring to this entry!!

• mj July 10, 2013 at 12:12 pm #

Thanks so much Jessica!

14. Nads July 9, 2013 at 3:02 pm #

Thank you for the nod on the green chili aioli. I love it because it gives sandwiches a little surprising touch of heat. Even though I used the mild, the longer it sits the warmer it gets. I enjoy it on my “green sandwiches” (cucumber, cilantro and lettuce). I’m glad you have found other ways to use it. I will definitely try it on eggs. I bought some tomatillos to make green sauce so I will be adding it to that. I like Terra’s idea of using it in a rub. Love you Sis

• mj July 10, 2013 at 12:11 pm #

Hey darlin! Thank you! Even though Bobby isn’t much of a mayo nor MW fan, he loved the aioli on his burger this weekend. BTW, the powder I sent back with you was half mild and half hot. I guess i should have given you just hot! :) I like it on cucumbers as well.

15. Swathi July 9, 2013 at 2:47 pm #

Wonderful post. I would love to try this green chili powder. I have seen red chili powder but not green chili powder.

16. Minnie@thelady8home July 9, 2013 at 8:40 am #

My kitchen won’t survive without green chilies, and yet I have never heard of green chili powder! This is fantastic! Can’t wait to try some.

• mj July 9, 2013 at 10:08 pm #

Totally agree! Every kitchen needs green chile, but when you can’t have fresh, the powder is a good alternative. Thanks!

17. Purabi Naha | Cosmopolitan Currymania July 9, 2013 at 3:19 am #

Coming from India, I always have an affinity towards chiles. Wow, green chile powder is something new, as we always have the red chilli powder here. Loved your aioli recipe, as well as other ways of using this powder. Fantastic!

18. Katerina July 9, 2013 at 3:11 am #

I would definitely go for the milder version of it! I love these dips that you can dive almost anything in them!

19. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen July 8, 2013 at 11:07 pm #

I don’t think I’ve encountered green chile powder yet. The Aioli look wonderful!

20. Hotly Spiced July 8, 2013 at 10:44 pm #

I’ve never heard of this powder. If I have a recipe requiring green chillies I always buy fresh as they seem to be widely available all year round. I can see though that the dried powder would have many uses and your sister’s aioli looks and sounds wonderful xx

• mj July 9, 2013 at 10:04 pm #

Thanks Charlie! I use the fresh roasted chiles 99.9% of the time, but for people who can’t get it, this is a pretty good substitute.

21. Terra July 8, 2013 at 9:09 pm #

I need to find some green chile powder, I would love adding it to our rubs for grilling! It sounds involved to make, but for sure worth every minute of the process! Sounds fabulous, Hugs, Terra

• mj July 9, 2013 at 10:01 pm #

Thanks Terra! I think any chile powder is a must in a rub! If you really want some chile powder, check out the links in the post.

22. Liz July 8, 2013 at 6:49 pm #

I’m going to have to hunt down some green chile powder. A new one for this Midwest gal…but I’m intrigued and must try!

• mj July 8, 2013 at 9:39 pm #

Thanks Liz! Just click on the link at the bottom of this post for a supplier. It’s good stuff!

23. ChgoJohn July 8, 2013 at 4:04 pm #

I don’t know if I’d use the powder in eggs but your aioli certainly does look great. Now the trick will be finding some. Thanks, MJ.

• mj July 8, 2013 at 9:32 pm #

We had the aioli on hamburgers tonight. So good!!! I’ll sent you some links for green chile powder.

24. Debra July 8, 2013 at 3:47 pm #

I love, love, love green chili powder and buy as much as I can when we visit NM. Since we haven’t been in a couple of years (so sad), I finally ordered something like 24 oz. of it off Amazon. (Green chile sour cream is fantastic too.)

• mj July 8, 2013 at 9:31 pm #

Glad to hear that you are a fan!! Next time you need some, try one of the New Mexico sellers like Diaz Farms. That way you’re guaranteed it’s NM chile powder and it’s pretty cheap! Love the green chile sour cream idea! Thanks!

25. Sissi July 8, 2013 at 2:54 pm #

MJ, this is a huuuuuge revelation for a chile addict like me. I cannot believe I have never heard of green chile powder. I happen to have beautiful Turkish chillies (medium hot, very aromatic, in fact they remind me of jalapeños, though I have only had these pickled, from a supermarket). I will try doing this powder on my own very soon (I might also test green bird’s-eye chilies ;-) ). Many thanks for this immense inspiration and amazing discovery! I will come back for using ideas because now I am too amazed at this breakthrough information!

• mj July 8, 2013 at 9:28 pm #

Oh yep – Sissi you would love this chile powder! I know it would be very costly to ship you some, so maybe drying your own is the way to go. Using green bird’s-eye chilies sounds like a great idea. It you try it, let me know how it works. Thanks for much for your sweet comments as always!

26. wok with ray July 8, 2013 at 12:06 pm #

Oh my goodness. I didn’t even know that you can get green chile in powder form. This is interesting and I agree that sometimes variation from the fresh ones may not give you the same result. That green chile sauce is definitely a must try for me. Have a nice week to you and Bobby, MJ! :)

• mj July 8, 2013 at 9:24 pm #

Thanks Ray! I did find that the powder worked quite well in breads, but in other dishes, I still prefer the roasted chiles. Hope you’re having a great week as well!

27. Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen July 8, 2013 at 9:59 am #

Oooh, I bet it’s yummy in eggs. And that aioli! Wow! Super informative post MJ :)

• mj July 8, 2013 at 10:26 am #

Thanks Valerie! Finished off the aioli with some carrots sticks last night. So Good!

28. Giulietta | Alterkitchen July 8, 2013 at 9:49 am #

Your chile orientated posts are always amazing.. e very useful :)

29. Judy @Savoring Today July 8, 2013 at 7:37 am #

Great ideas for using the green chile powder, though I am with you about using fresh or roasted every chance I get. However, there are times when the chiles I’ve purchased are a little flat, which makes me wish I had some green chile powder to boost the flavor. Long ago when Paul Prudhomme was on TV I remember him suggesting using the powder form of peppers, spices, ect in addition to fresh each complements the other. Look forward to trying some green chile powder!

• mj July 8, 2013 at 10:25 am #

Thanks Judy! I’ve never thought of adding powder when I’m already using the roasted chiles. Great idea! Thanks for passing that along.

30. Amy (Savory Moments) July 8, 2013 at 4:54 am #

This is new to me, but it sounds and looks like it would be delicious! I do love green chiles and that aioli looks fantastic!

• mj July 8, 2013 at 10:24 am #

Thanks so much Amy! Glad to introduce you to something new.

31. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef July 8, 2013 at 1:29 am #

The green chile powder with eggs sounds great. :)

• mj July 8, 2013 at 10:24 am #

Oh the green chile eggs are the best! Thanks Maureen!

32. Nisa Homey July 8, 2013 at 12:39 am #

Wow MJ…..never ever heard of green chilly powder..seriously!!.. I come from the land of chillies…love all the recommendations..

• mj July 8, 2013 at 10:23 am #

Thanks Nisa! Love introducing you to new ingredients! Just like you do for me. :)

• Ray December 3, 2013 at 1:14 pm #

I don’t know about the land of chilites, but hear in the land of enchantment ( New Mexico ) We have lived with green chile forever. If you go to a resturant here and don’t get asked Red or Green they came from somewhere else. Excellant Site MJ !!

• mj December 5, 2013 at 9:10 am #

Thanks Ray! :)

33. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles July 7, 2013 at 6:43 pm #

Wow, 18 pounds of the freshies to create 1 pound of powder – isn’t that something. It makes sense when you think about it but it just seems like an unfair conversion rate ;-). I guess that’s why powder goes so far flavor wise in recipes — it doesn’t take a lot when it’s in that concentrated form. I like your applications here MJ – the aioli sounds particularly appetizing to me… mind you, so do the green chile eggs – (not sure why — green eggs and ham perhaps? –but I suddenly have a visual of Dr. Seuss :)).

• mj July 8, 2013 at 10:21 am #

Thanks Kelly! That is a lot of chile for a little bit of powder! Actually, the green chile powder is pretty mild so does take more that say red chile powder. The green chile eggs are my favorite!

34. Choc Chip Uru July 7, 2013 at 3:21 pm #

I am so over red, I bet green has a unique kick of its own :)
    Thank you my friend!

Choc Chip Uru

• mj July 8, 2013 at 10:20 am #

Thanks Uru! Oh – I’ll never get over red! :) I’ll just now add a little green to it.

35. Ramona July 7, 2013 at 2:42 pm #

I have never used green chili powder… I am dying to try it out now!! What a fantastic flavor. The aioli looks creamy and perfect… just waiting for a sandwich. :) Hope you are having a fantastic weekend.

• mj July 8, 2013 at 10:19 am #

Thanks Ramona! I love the aioli on a sandwich and also with carrots sticks.

36. Lois July 7, 2013 at 1:04 pm #

Fun post with some creative uses of green chile powder!
    Living in the southwest, I have resorted to drying my own varieties of chiles
    at harvest’s end as I have made the salsas, frozen green chilies and my own
    version of ‘Rotel-tomatoes-with green chilies’. Last year I made some
    HOT varieties with habanero, santa fe peppers and then some not so hot with the
    anaheim chilies and even jalapeno pepper chili powder.
    In a pinch, in the winter, in the in kitchen those come in handy for substitutions for
    the fresh variety.
    Now I will have to try this mayo! Looks yummy. Thanks for the post MJ!

• mj July 8, 2013 at 10:19 am #

Thank so much Lois! I’ve never tried drying chiles, so I’m impressed that you do! I dried lots of fruits, but never thought about the peppers. As cheap as I can get the powders from DiazFarms, I think I’ll let them do that leg work. :) Love the Rotel type tomatoes!! Great in queso!

37. john@kitchenriffs July 7, 2013 at 12:50 pm #

I don’t believe I’ve ever seen green chile powder! Love the idea, though – I often have problems getting decent roasted chiles. Definitely have to look for this. The aioli looks terrific! I’d be using homemade, or if not that Hellman’s. ;-)

• mj July 8, 2013 at 10:16 am #

Thanks John! I hadn’t seen it until a few months ago. I think you would enjoy it. It’s not a replacement for roasted chilies, but it can give you a nice chile fix when you need it. :)

38. Balvinder July 7, 2013 at 11:56 am #

I am not familiar with green chile powder but it must have a wonderful flavor and heat.

• mj July 8, 2013 at 10:15 am #

It does have a wonderful flavor and a “nice” heat. :)

39. Angie@Angie's Recipes July 7, 2013 at 11:43 am #

Now I have to get myself some green chilli powder to try all the recommendations!

• mj July 8, 2013 at 10:15 am #

Thanks Angie! You really should give it a try!

1. Green Chile Pathiri with Pinon Nuts and Queso Fresco | MJ's Kitchen - April 27, 2014

[…] eggs 1 cup flour, sifted 1/8 tsp. salt 1 ½ cups milk 1 tsp. green chile powder (optional) Butter or margarine (to coat the crepe pan before adding the […]

2. Green Chile Salad Dressing with an Apple Salad | MJ's Kitchen - March 21, 2014

[…] for the recipe – Last summer I started making a green chile salad dressing using green chile powder.  It has been a great dressing for simple salads like this apple and celery salad.  I’ve […]

3. Red or Green? New Mexico Chiles | MJ's Kitchen - October 6, 2013

[…] for green chile sauce or just chopped green chile – my favorite. They are dried and ground into green chile powder. Red chiles are strung into ristras that are hung out to dry. Sometimes you’ll see them on […]

4. Chile Relleno Egg Sandwich | MJ's Kitchen - September 13, 2013

[…] chile A thin slice of butter 1 egg 1 tsp. cream or half and half A pinch of dried oregano ¼ tsp. green chile powder (optional) Dash of salt and pepper Your favorite […]