A Cold Curried Green Vegetable Soup

A cold summer made with green summer vegetables

The other day I was craving a cold soup, but I didn’t have enough ingredients for either of my favorites -  Cold Cucumber Soup and Cold Asparagus Soup. However, I knew I had a little asparagus and half a cucumber and some other “green” vegetables. So I preceded to empty the crispers of anything fresh and green.  Once everything was laid out on the countertop, I saw that I had plenty of ingredients for a cold soup.  Everything that was green or white got chopped and thrown into a pot with a little spicy curry powder. For lunch the next day, Bobby and I had this delicious cold green vegetable soup!

If you don’t have all of the ingredients listed in the recipe, that’s not a problem.  This soup can be made with just about any green or white vegetable.  Be sure to check out the Kitchen Notes for ways to change it up to best fit your tastes and what you have on hand.

A cold vegetable soup

A cold soup made with green vegetables

Ingredient Amounts – The amount of ingredients was really determined by what I had on hand.  If you make this soup or one similar, just adjust the amounts to what you have available. However, be careful of adding too much of any one ingredient as I talk about next.

The vegetables – Obviously, I didn’t put a whole lot of thought into this soup.  If it was a green vegetable (or white), it went into the soup.  I stuck to the color green,  because sometimes when you puree vegetables of multiple colors you end up with a rather unpleasant color.  So with that said, feel free to experiment with whatever you have in your refrigerator.  Here are some ideas.

• Substitute the asparagus with broccoli or the onion with leeks.
  • Add some chopped fennel or use fennel fronds as a garnish
  • Add sweet peas, English peas – any shelled peas (don’t add the pods because they might be too tough and stringy to puree’ properly)
  • Throw in some chopped parsley or any herbs of your choice after blending
  • Use green summer squash
  • Add a few greens (spinach, kale, Swiss chard) without the stems (The stems might not puree’ very well.)
  • Omit vegetables that could be overpowering in flavor such as collard greens and cabbage

The only thing you need to be careful of is adding TOO much of any one thing.  For example, the asparagus – we could taste asparagus in the soup, but it definitely wasn’t an asparagus soup.  Because there was a little bit of this and a little bit of that, all of the flavors blended together to provide a mixed vegetable flavor that, with the curry and the avocado, was delicious!  By using too much of any one vegetable, or using a vegetable such as collard greens, you might overpower all of the other flavors in the soup.

The curry powder – Bet you thought this soup had green chile in it, didn’t you? :)  Believe me, I thought about it, but I changed my mind when I saw a cute little jar of Sweet & Spicy Curry Powder that I received from Season With Spice. I had already tasted the soup, so I knew that the curry powder would be perfect with it – and it was!  It didn’t take much to give the soup just a hint of curry but yet a nice, spicy finish.  A perfect seasoning for this soup!

The liquid – For the stock you can use whatever you have on hand or you could just use all water.  I used 2 cups turkey stock (from Thanksgiving) and 2 cups water.  You might need a little more or a little less than 4 cups.  It all depends on how many vegetables end up in the pot and the texture you prefer.

The avocado – This soup didn’t lend itself to dairy, so…since I just happened to have an avocado, I decided to use it instead to help bind everything together into a smooth puree’.  It worked great!  It was quite ripe so it really gave the soup a very creamy and pleasant texture, as well as adding to the overall flavor of the soup. You may choose to only puree’ half of the avocado, then use the other half for garnish.

I hope this soup has set your creative juices in motion and you’re sitting there thinking “So what’s in the fridge that I can use to make a cold soup?”

Have fun and enjoy!

This Cold Curried Green Vegetable soup has been shared with Recipe Sharing Monday, Foodie Friday   .

Tags: , ,

60 Responses to “A Cold Curried Green Vegetable Soup”

1. Diane Balch August 4, 2013 at 12:09 pm #

I’ve never had a curried cold soup and I love the idea of avocados and asparagus together… really original. Thank you for sharing it with us on foodie friday.

• mj August 4, 2013 at 10:27 pm #

The combination of the asparagus and avocado did turn out good. :) Thanks Diane!

2. Judy @Savoring Today July 29, 2013 at 10:22 am #

I love it when we discover something wonderful from what we have on-hand. Of course, I think that’s why my soups rarely taste the same way twice. ;) Great soup idea!

3. Nami | Just One Cookbook July 28, 2013 at 8:35 am #

I bet Reese and Mark makes great curry powder! :D I love cold soup that is served at restaurants, but I haven’t made one at home. When it’s chilled, it is a wonderful dish to serve to the guests. I should consider giving it a try. When the appetite goes down in hot summer, cold soup sounds very appetizing!

• mj July 28, 2013 at 1:29 pm #

Yes – Reese & Mark make an EXCELLENT curry powder and it was perfect for this soup. You’d love it. I agree – cold soup makes a nice little start to a dinner party.

4. April @ The 21st Century Housewife July 28, 2013 at 7:57 am #

This takes ‘bottom of the fridge soup’ to wonderful new heights, MJ! I love the flexibility of this recipe (although the ingredients you have used include many of my favourite veggies) and the way you have used avocado to make the soup creamy. It sounds just delicious! I like the sound of a sweet and spicy curry powder too. Thank you for sharing another wonderful recipe with the Hearth and Soul hop.

• mj July 28, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

Yes it does! :) Thank you so much April! I was really surprised how creamy the avocado made this soup along with adding another layer of flavor. Season & Spice’s curry powder is awesome!!!

5. Amber @ The Cook's Sister July 25, 2013 at 10:13 am #

What a fantastic looking soup! I read the title wrong the first time, I saw “Cold-Curing Vegetable Soup.” However, I wouldn’t be surprised if all those great green vegetables helped to cure a cold! This dish looks so great for a hot summer day!

• mj July 25, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

Thanks Amber! I bet the soup could cure the common cold! You can’t get much healthier than this. :)

6. ninja 1000 July 25, 2013 at 4:10 am #

Thank you a lot for sharing this with all people you actually understand what you’re talking about! Bookmarked. Please also visit my web site =). We will have a hyperlink trade contract among us!

7. Swathi July 22, 2013 at 5:17 pm #

Delicious curried soup love vegetable soup a lot.

8. Minnie@thelady8home July 21, 2013 at 10:18 am #

Using curry powder in cold soups….how innovative!!! I need to try this one. Looks beautiful, the clicks are gorgeous.

• mj July 22, 2013 at 12:06 am #

Thanks so much Minnie! The curry was an afterthought that worked out surprising well. Of course, it was really good curry!

9. Reese July 20, 2013 at 10:11 am #

Everything that goes into the soup is fabulous, MJ! We’ll be picking our garden vegetables this weekend and your soup is top off my list to make. Thank you for sharing such an inspiring dish.

• mj July 20, 2013 at 10:21 pm #

Thanks Reese! Oh to use your own fresh picked vegetables!! I’m so jealous! Hope you and Mark are having a fabulous weekend! Enjoy!

10. Carole July 19, 2013 at 9:03 pm #

MJ, I am going to have to try this. the only cold soup I’ve eaten or made is gazpacho – it’s time to branch out – I’ll wait for warmer weather though. Cheers

• mj July 20, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

Thanks Carole! I too love Gazpacho, but love to mix it up. Hope you enjoy!

11. Nancy/SpicieFoodie July 19, 2013 at 2:21 pm #

I don’t often crave cold soups, but I do curry and spicy too. Your soup sound amazing! It’s finally summer here so now I can make your recipe. Thanks for sharing, looks so yummy:)

12. Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin July 19, 2013 at 9:40 am #

Since I can never get enough avocado (my favorite!) I’ll have to thank you for the idea of blending one into a cold soup – fantastic idea! :)

• mj July 20, 2013 at 10:19 pm #

You’re most welcome Jen! Hope you’re having a great weekend!

13. Zsuzsa July 19, 2013 at 7:59 am #

That is so COOL Peach Lady!

14. Charles July 19, 2013 at 7:29 am #

Hi MJ – I love cold soups in pretty much any shape or form! My wife isn’t such a fan sadly so I don’t often bother making them. The colour is beautiful and great call on the avocado – it’s got such a creamy, smooth, “dairy-like” consistency hasn’t it?!

• mj July 20, 2013 at 10:18 pm #

Thanks Charles! Bobby wasn’t a fan of cold soups for a long time, but when I first starting making the cold cucumber soup he became a fan and now enjoys just about any cold soup I make. The avocado was actually a last minute idea and it sure did work. :)

15. Sissi July 19, 2013 at 3:05 am #

MJ, your cold soup makes me regret my today’s plans for lunch… The colours are bright, sunny and I can only imagine how wonderful it must be to enjoy it on a hot summer day we are lucky to have today.
    I hated cold soups as a child because the most frequent one included beetroots (hated by most children at least at the time) but nowadays I love even the beetroot one (probably because I like beetroots now too). I don’t think I have ever seen a cold curried soup, so your invention is extremely creative and original to me! I love it.

• mj July 20, 2013 at 10:16 pm #

Thanks Sissi! I wasn’t too fond of cold soups as a kid either, but now I love them all summer long! Still not crazy about beetroot. Hope you’re having a wonderful weekend!

16. Nads July 18, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

I made this for lunch and it was umm umm good. I used everything you used except I didn’t have a cucumber and I threw in a cup of leftover mashed potatoes and a few cilantro leaves. To get it cool enough for lunch with less than an hour’s lead time I used ice cubes instead of water. I also have a sweet hot curry powder that the family doesn’t really care for in my traditional curry dishes but it was perfect for this. I’m sure this will be a repeat. GOOD JOB!

• mj July 18, 2013 at 8:12 pm #

Thanks Sis! I can always count on you! :) The mashed potatoes sound like a perfect thickener for this and of course you can never go wrong with cilantro. How clever of you to use ice cubes for a quick cool! I’ll have to remember that one. So glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the wonderful comment!! Hugs to you all!

17. Shannon | Just As Delish July 18, 2013 at 9:02 am #

interesting to serve cold curry soup.. but smart use of curry powder, it always jazz up any dish.

18. Liz July 18, 2013 at 6:58 am #

What a marvelous summer soup! I’m impressed with your ingenuity!

19. Azlin Bloor July 18, 2013 at 2:19 am #

Sounds perfect, doesn’t it? A soup that not only tastes great but clears out you fridge too!

• mj July 18, 2013 at 8:08 pm #

Yep – that’s always nice! :)

20. Kate@Diethood July 17, 2013 at 10:44 pm #

The soup looks beautiful! Love the color!

21. Bill July 17, 2013 at 1:45 pm #

Hi MJ. This soup sounds delicious. I love cold summer soups and the addition of curry to a vegetable soup is a fantastic idea. Definitely want to try this one. Thanks for a great post!

• mj July 18, 2013 at 8:07 pm #

Thanks Bill! I’m sure cold soup are a must in your hot and humid weather. Stay cool!

22. Treat and Trick July 17, 2013 at 4:50 am #

A good looking soup and nutritious!

23. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef July 17, 2013 at 12:31 am #

I love curry in soup. It’s too cold for cold soup but I will keep this in mind. Winter doesn’t last long here. :)

• mj July 18, 2013 at 8:07 pm #

Thanks Maureen! Actually this soup is good hot as well as cold. Stay warm my friend!

24. ChgoJohn July 16, 2013 at 9:24 pm #

What a fanatic soup, MJ, made even more so because it was made on the spur of the moment with what you had on-hand. How creative! Thanks, too, for the tips and notes. They’ll apply to just about any soup, not just the one you shared today.

• mj July 18, 2013 at 8:05 pm #

Thanks John! I agree about the Kitchen Notes. Hope you’re having a great week.

25. wok with ray July 16, 2013 at 9:09 pm #

I am looking at the ingredients and aside from the curry, the 4 cloves of garlic is what added to the drool factor here. :) Although I have to admit that I’ve never had cold curry soup before but I am sure this will be a hit on my dinner table. I hope you and Bobby are having a great week! :)

• mj July 18, 2013 at 8:04 pm #

Thanks Ray! I actually think 4 cloves of garlic is a minimum for me. :) Hope you’re having a wonderful week!

26. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen July 16, 2013 at 9:07 pm #

What a vibrant and lovely color of green! It must have been so healthy with all of those veggies thrown in. I learned from Cooking Spree that we shouldn’t mix red and green veggies:) Your curry soup sounds heavenly!

• mj July 18, 2013 at 8:03 pm #

Thanks Barbara! I’m not familiar with “Cooking Spree”. Need to look it up. I’m assuming you don’t mix red and green in a puree?

27. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen July 16, 2013 at 8:06 pm #

I could make this warm too because we are having such a rainy weather here! Lovely recipe!

• mj July 16, 2013 at 8:14 pm #

Thanks Peachy! Yes – it would be just as good serve warm.

28. Choc Chip Uru July 16, 2013 at 7:37 pm #

A cold curry soup is the best, so deliciois :)

Choc Chip Uru

P.S. To prepare for my exams now I won’t be commenting for around 4 weeks – See you in a month my friend :)

• mj July 16, 2013 at 8:12 pm #

Thanks Uru! Good luck on your exams!

29. Anne@FromMySweetHeart July 16, 2013 at 4:50 pm #

Oh this soup is beautiful MJ! I love cold soups in the summer. Unfortunately, my creativity with it all doesn’t ever get past gazpacho! I would definitely love to try this one. A nice chilly soup with warm spicy heat……perfect! Gorgeous photos as usual!

• mj July 16, 2013 at 8:12 pm #

Thanks so much Anne! Cold soup is actually rather easy to make, as you can see. I do love gaspacho, but since we eat a lot of cold soup, I have to mix it up. :)

30. This is my soup, I mean made for me!

31. Katerina July 16, 2013 at 1:32 pm #

It is always great to unload pantries and fridge and doing it in such a creative and tasty way it is even better!

32. Debra July 16, 2013 at 10:24 am #

Love the avocado addition. How much chard to you think would be too much for this. I just harvested the last of it.

• mj July 16, 2013 at 11:08 am #

It was good before, but the avocado definitely made it better! Thanks! Depending on the size of the leaves, 3 large leaves at most. If you make it, leave your version in a comment please. :)

33. Ramona July 16, 2013 at 10:19 am #

I love when you can use what you have on hand to make a fabulous dish like this. :) This looks cool and perfect for this hot weather. :)

• mj July 16, 2013 at 8:08 pm #

Thanks Ramona! Yes – it is perfect for hot weather!

34. Angie@Angie's Recipes July 16, 2013 at 9:44 am #

I have never had a cold CURRY soup…I meant when I thought of curry, steaming hot usually has come to my mind…your soup looks very inviting!

• mj July 16, 2013 at 8:07 pm #

Thanks Angie! The curry powder was the perfect spice for this soup, and yes, this was my first try at curry and cold. It worked great!

35. cquek July 16, 2013 at 9:41 am #

these are calling my name, i love to have a hot cup.

36. john@kitchenriffs July 16, 2013 at 9:01 am #

Wonderful looking soup! I love curry in anything, but rarely use it in cold soups. I gotta change that! The use of avocado is inspired. Really nice – thanks.

• mj July 16, 2013 at 8:04 pm #

Thanks John! This was my first time using curry in a cold soup and I have to say that the curry really made the soup.