Red Chile Garlic Bread with Manchego Cheese

A red chile focaccia type bread

Last summer when we were going through a kitchen remodel, one of the item we replaced was our 1980′s microwave.  In its place we put a combination microwave convection oven.  Let me tell you folks, this is now one of my favorite appliances, second only to my stovetop.  Here it is the end of June and I’m baking!!!  In the past, I never baked in the summer because I refused to use the oven.  It’s just too hot; however, the amount of heat that this little convection oven puts out is negligible in comparison to our regular oven.  Because of this I’ve been able to bake a few loaves of this delicious Red Chile Garlic Bread even with 95°+ outside temperatures. Talk about a life changing experience – homemade bread in June!

Obviously I’m very excited about being able to make bread in the summer, but I’m just as excited about making THIS bread.  I’ve made a few loaves already this month and each one has disappeared faster than it took me to make it.  This red chile loaf is very similar to a focaccia in that it’s flat and I poke holes in the dough to place chunks of Manchego cheese.  But that’s where the similarities stop.  There are no herbs nor olive oil and it’s definitely not Italian.  Instead there are three types of chile powders, some roasted garlic, and chile infused oil that are all combined into a paste.  This paste is then incorporated into the dough, and right before placing in the oven, cubes of cheese are pressed into the dough.  It’s SO good and SO easy to make!  You can make it by hand or use your Mixmaster with a dough hook.

This red chile garlic bread makes a great snack, an appetizer for your guests, a supper bread, and a delicious sandwich bread.  For a little extra kick, use some chile infused oil for a dipping sauce. The dough can also be used to make pizza crust for a southwestern style pizza or any kind of pizza you want for that matter. With one batch I made 4 little individual pizzas topped with sauteed mushrooms and spinach.  They were very, very tasty.

Focaccia made with chile powders and chile oil

Red chile bread

The Roasted Garlic – If you don’t have any roasted garlic, then just roast up a few cloves on the stovetop.  It’s quick and easy.  Also, if you don’t have any chile infused oil, you could use the garlic infused oil from the stovetop roasting process for the oil in the recipe.

The Chile Powders – To achieve a real depth of flavor, I encourage you to use chile powders from three different types of chiles with different heat level.  Read types of chile powders for other powders that you could use.  Just be careful with the heat levels. Use only 1/2 teaspoon of a HOT chile powder because this bread can be quite spicy and does get hotter overnight.  As you can see from the recipe, I used a NM mild to medium chile powder for the primary flavor, followed by a hot, smokey pepper (chipotle) and a sweet paprika pepper. The blend of flavors was delicious!

The Oil – My three recommendation for the oil are Chile Infused Oil, Garlic Infused Oil, or Extra virgin olive oil.  You could also used a combination of oil. For example, use the chile infused oil for the paste and then brush the top of the dough with the garlic infused oil or vice versa. A good quality extra virgin olive oil can also be used for either purpose.

The Cheese – Manchego cheese doesn’t melt and run like other cheeses; therefore, it held together quite well and didn’t spread all over the bread during baking.  However, if it wasn’t pressed deep into the dough, it did tend to “lift” as the bread rose in the oven and lay on top rather than inside the bread.  That really didn’t make any difference to us.  We just  loved getting a bite with a chunk of baked manchego.  YUM!  If you use a different cheese it needs to be complementary to the red chile. This bread is very much about the flavor of the red chile powders; therefore, you want a cheese that complements that flavor without competing with it.

The Baking time and temperature – The oven I use is a small convection oven so this bread baked best at a little lower temperature (375º F vs. 400º F).  I also found that 18 minutes was perfect. If your oven is larger than a regular microwave, I would suggest using a temperature of 400º F or increase the baking time to 20 minutes.

I hope you enjoy this spicy and garlicky Red Chile Bread!  It’s been shared with the following recipe parties.

Featured on Hearth and Soul  .

hearthnsoul150

Tags:

70 Responses to “Red Chile Garlic Bread with Manchego Cheese”

1. Samantha Deleon July 10, 2013 at 1:13 am #

If you like the Roasted Garlic Oil, you’ll also love this Red Chile Infused Oil . All of the flavors of a red chile sauce in an oil. This post has been linked to the following blog hops. Be sure to click on the links for more wonderful recipes!

2. Terra July 8, 2013 at 8:28 pm #

I am thinking about a pizza with this gorgeous bread. All those amazing flavors as a pizza, heck ya! That dough would be the BEST pizza dough EVER! I love that you used manchego cheese, such a gorgeous choice! Beautiful, Hugs, Terra

• mj July 8, 2013 at 9:41 pm #

Thanks Terra! Bobby and I sure did love it as a pizza dough. He might not let me use another dough again. :)

3. George Grinell July 4, 2013 at 12:44 am #

Thanks a lot for the tips. This is a very interesting recipe and I got curious about its taste. I’d like to try the dough and see how its consistency differs that of which is used in making pizzas.

4. Azlin Bloor July 3, 2013 at 12:04 pm #

What a fantastic idea, MJ! That’s solved a problem for a lot of folks! I’d love to eat it dipped in some of that garlic oil too!

• mj July 3, 2013 at 8:25 pm #

Thanks Azlin! Oh yes – it is delicious dipped in the chile infused oil!

5. Nancy/SpicieFoodie July 3, 2013 at 8:41 am #

My mouth is watering, MJ. Your bread has everything I love, plus it’s great that it doesn’t mean turning on the oven. We have a microwave convection oven too but I only use it as a microwave — will have to change that. Thanks for sharing!:)

• mj July 3, 2013 at 8:24 pm #

Thanks Nancy! I’m now using the convection oven as much as the microwave. It’s so easy!

6. Amber @ The Cook's Sister July 2, 2013 at 10:23 pm #

This appetizer look so amazing! Really though, you could convince me to eat *almost* anything sprinkled with red chile. Amazing!

• mj July 3, 2013 at 8:21 pm #

Thanks Amber! I’m going to make you a chile lover yet. :)

7. Swathi July 1, 2013 at 7:19 pm #

I know this bread is deadly love to have a bite MJ.

8. Charles July 1, 2013 at 6:24 am #

I personally don’t mind baking in the summer. I view it as a necessity… all the bread that needs to be eaten and so forth, but I’m glad you have been able to find something which makes it a bit less warm in your, undoubtedly, already quite warm kitchen!

I never tried manchego cheese before (didn’t even hear of it before as far as I know) – your description reminds me of the French “mimmolette” cheese. That also doesn’t melt or run. The bread looks very nice – I’ve never had much luck with those small ovens, but I guess technology has improved somewhat :D

• mj July 1, 2013 at 7:35 pm #

Thanks Charles! I didn’t mention that we don’t have air conditioning (just a swamp cooler), and last week we had 100F+ temperatures, so didn’t bake last week at all! :) I have to admit that I am VERY impressed with this little oven and it’s the perfect size for just B and me. After looking up mimmollete, I see that there is a difference between it and Manchego. Manchego is “a cheese made in the La Mancha region of Spain from the milk of sheep of the Manchega breed”, whereas mimmolette is made from cow’s milk; however, the textures look very much the same. Now you have me wanting to find some mimollete.

9. Raymund June 30, 2013 at 1:50 am #

Nice spices to add on to this bread, love the savoury spiciness on it

10. Nami | Just One Cookbook June 29, 2013 at 6:16 pm #

I’ve been eating Japanese food non stop since I came home and now I visited a few blogs and start craving for non-Japanese food. This garlic bread with a little spice and cheese sounds perfect for pre-lunch snack right now!

11. Hotly Spiced June 29, 2013 at 6:15 pm #

If you bought your microwave in the 80′s and it lasted until quite recently, then I think you got your money’s worth! That’s a long life for an appliance. Great that your new gadget is working out well for you and I love the look of your bread – I bet it’s very addictive xx

• mj June 29, 2013 at 9:25 pm #

Oh I definitely got my money’s worth Charlie! :) Thanks for stopping by!

12. CJ at Food Stories June 29, 2013 at 4:59 pm #

I love focaccia so I know it would love this unique bread.

13. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen June 29, 2013 at 7:13 am #

I’ve been wondering about those microwave convection ovens that have begun popping up in show homes. Now I know:D This would be a huge benefit in hotter climates for sure.. plus less waste of energy. I love your recipe, MJ, it’s flavor combination plus the fluffy dough and the fact it’s easy to make would be great for a dinner party! xx

• mj June 29, 2013 at 9:18 pm #

Thanks Barbara! It is a great bread for a dinner party!

14. Helene D'souza June 29, 2013 at 6:43 am #

Wow the color of your bread is magnificent. I am a bit out of my usual bread baking, but I was intending to try a new mixture soon.

Welcome to the convection oven owner club.lol That shows how much I love my baby too. I feel it can heat up a lot in my house during the tropical humid Indian summer, so during that time I don’t bake and that is when I realize how much I usually use my oven. Every single day. =)

• mj June 29, 2013 at 9:16 pm #

Thanks Helene! It’s a really nice oven to have in the summer; however, I haven’t been using it the past week because we’re having record breaking heat, so lot’s of salads. Right now I would love to feel some tropic humidity. Our humidity is in the single digits. It was 4% the this morning! You use your oven every day?! WOW! That’s a lot, but then you are a great baker!

15. Amy (Savory Moments) June 29, 2013 at 6:27 am #

What an interesting and unique flatbread this is. It looks really delicious! I love the cheese in it, too.

16. Reese June 28, 2013 at 10:40 am #

Summer baking sounds so much fun with exciting flavors like this. I can see why they are gone so quickly!

17. Minnie@thelady8home June 28, 2013 at 10:37 am #

I had a oven/microwave….and now I don’t and I miss it so much!!! The bread looks gorgeous, and you mention chili garlic and I am sold.

• mj June 28, 2013 at 4:57 pm #

Thanks Minnie! And here I didn’t know what I was missing. Sorry you don’t have your oven any longer. :(

18. Bill June 28, 2013 at 8:50 am #

So your last two posts are two of my very favorite things… Manchego cheese and watermelon! I just bought some manchego cheese for a dish I was making and I couldn’t stop noshing on it. Needless to say it was gone before I really needed it. This bread recipe looks fantastic!

• mj June 28, 2013 at 4:55 pm #

Thanks bill! You sound like me. It’s hard keeping manchego in the house.

19. Emily @ Life on Food June 27, 2013 at 4:57 pm #

Your bread sounds fantastic. I agree the oven in the summer is a no go. I typically use the toaster oven as much as possible. So much cooler and quicker to use.

• mj June 28, 2013 at 4:58 pm #

Thanks Emily! I’ve never had a toaster oven. I bet it comes in handy.

20. Viviane Bauquet Farre June 27, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

Mj, these look wonderful and tasty! I love the combination of the Manchego and the spices. You made me crave a slice right now!

• mj June 27, 2013 at 6:16 pm #

Thanks Viviane! I think Manchego goes with anything. :)

21. Kate@Diethood June 27, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

Oh my worrrrrrd! WOW! My jaw is on the floor. Foreals. I WANT this for dinner. Awesome recipe, MJ!

• mj June 27, 2013 at 6:16 pm #

Thanks Kate!

22. Purabi Naha | Cosmopolitan Currymania June 27, 2013 at 12:52 pm #

Wow, look at that bread…looks like one of those served in seven-star hotels! Even my convection oven is my favourite appliance and the day when it was delivered to our home, I was jumping like a small kid! Your recipe looks class, only if I could find that cheese. Can I replace with any other common cheese? Thanks.

• mj June 27, 2013 at 6:15 pm #

You are so sweet Purabi!! Thanks! Use a different cheese? Absolutely! Just use your favorite.

23. Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin June 27, 2013 at 9:37 am #

Well, this appliance is one I’m adding to my “Dream Kitchen must-haves” list :) Your freshly baked bread looks wonderful!

• mj June 27, 2013 at 6:14 pm #

Thanks Jen! This oven really is a must have!

24. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen June 26, 2013 at 9:50 pm #

This is such a beautiful bread, MJ! It has everything I love in a bread- cheese and garlic!

25. Treat and Trick June 26, 2013 at 9:47 pm #

Your spice bread looks stunning! I want to grab them right away…

26. Debra June 26, 2013 at 7:16 pm #

Love your chile oil and I am diggin this bread. Looks delicious. We put a microwave/convection oven in 15 years ago and it is still going strong, I only use the convection part when we have a crowd and I need both ovens going. Need to remedy that.

• mj June 27, 2013 at 6:13 pm #

Thanks Debra! So good to hear that your combo oven is still going strong after 15 years! Good news! Since it’s just the two of us, the convection oven is getting use more than my regular oven. It’s just right for two people.

27. Home made bread with cheese – yes please.

28. Katerina June 26, 2013 at 10:52 am #

I only have a conventional oven and I know exactly what you mean about baking during summer! You are so lucky having this ‘gadget’ at your kitchen. The bread looks absolutely delicious and from its looks I think it tasted equally great!

• mj June 27, 2013 at 6:12 pm #

Thanks Katerina! Baking in the summer is a new experience for me and I’m loving it. But I won’t be baking today. It’s 104 F!

29. Renee @ Tortillas and Honey June 26, 2013 at 10:29 am #

What beautiful bread! The flavors you incorporated look absolutely wonderful!

30. Liz June 26, 2013 at 6:04 am #

By adding cheese this is now a viable dinner option! What a flavorful loaf!

31. easyfoodsmith June 26, 2013 at 3:52 am #

That bread is a beauty! The flavours sound so wonderful.

32. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef June 26, 2013 at 12:24 am #

I have a new oven but there’s no proof button! I want one!

Your bread sounds so good.

33. ChgoJohn June 25, 2013 at 10:48 pm #

This bread looks fantastic, MJ! Great tips, too. I haven’t enough experience with chilies and chili powder and can use all the help I can get. I have a convection oven/microwave and love it. When preparing a large holiday meal, a 2nd oven ireally does come in handy. Thanks for sharing your bread recipe.

• mj June 27, 2013 at 6:11 pm #

Thanks John! You haven’t had enough experience with chiles? Well, stick with me John. I’ll help change that for sure. :) Yep – that’s the other thing I like about the oven – I now have 2 ovens for entertaining!

34. Sanjeeta kk June 25, 2013 at 10:12 pm #

I love the detail description of the ingredients at the end of all your posts, MJ…makes us connect with the recipe and you instantly! Now this bread with chile and garlic is calling my name…baking this weekend.

• mj June 27, 2013 at 6:09 pm #

Thanks so much Sanjeeta!

35. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) June 25, 2013 at 3:56 pm #

Hmmm convection ovens have always confused/weirded me out, it’s so good to hear someone is actually using and liking theirs though, makes me wanna rethink my previous stance!

I love this bread thats for sure, YUM

• mj June 25, 2013 at 9:54 pm #

Thanks Kayle! I was a little weirded out about the combination as well, but now that I’ve learned how the ovens work and how nice it is to have two ovens in one, I’m sold.

36. Ramona June 25, 2013 at 3:04 pm #

Lovely bread, MJ! You know this spicy girl is drooling over the use of chilies with garlic bread. Well done. :)

37. CCU June 25, 2013 at 2:45 pm #

This flatbread is flavoured to perfection my friend :D

Choc Chip Uru

38. Sissi June 25, 2013 at 2:06 pm #

MJ, when I saw the title of this post in my mailbox, I thought I should open it only after my dinner and luckily I did because it looks so luscious, I would die of hunger reading the ingredients and admiring your beautiful photos!
    I love all the ingredients (as you know I’m a garlic and chili, ooops sorry I meant “chile” ;-) addict so this bread wouldn’t probably even make it out of the kitchen… I would have it straight from the oven.
    It’s strange because even though I have an old oven, it doesn’t bother me baking when it’s very hot. I only hate simmering food on several stoves. This does heat the kitchen a lot.

• mj June 25, 2013 at 9:52 pm #

Well, at least you have finally figured out how to spell chile. :) From one garlic and chile addict to another – you’ll LOVE this bread! I usually run the vent over the stovetop which takes some of the heat out but that doesn’t always work for long boils, so I know what you mean. Thanks for wonderful comments Sissi and hope you are having a great week!

39. Kimby | a little lunch June 25, 2013 at 1:39 pm #

I’m a huge fan of Manchego cheese and anything chile. (Chili?) Headed off to read your tab re: chili & chile now. I love your “well seasoned” approach to life and cooking — and this bread!

• mj June 25, 2013 at 9:49 pm #

Thanks so much for stopping by Kimby and leaving this wonderful comment. Hope you enjoyed the chile or chile? page. I created that because I got very repetitive. :) Hope to see you again!

40. Jen @JuanitasCocina June 25, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

I am in love with the color and the flavors in this bread! Gorgeous!

41. Nisa Homey June 25, 2013 at 11:17 am #

This bread looks so yum……with all the flavors and spices!!

42. john@kitchenriffs June 25, 2013 at 10:58 am #

I didn’t even know they made combo convection and microwave ovens! Is this one that’s meant for over-the-range use and doubles as a range vent? Very cool. As is this garlic bread (well, it’s spicy, but still cool!). This looks terrific, and I do love the flavor of chile (particularly New Mexico Hatch). Really good stuff – thanks.

• mj June 25, 2013 at 9:47 pm #

I didn’t know about the combination until we did a search for new microwaves and the combination oven kept coming up. You essentially get both a microwave and an oven. The controls are separate as well of the energy sources, so it’s like two different ovens in one box. The one we got is a separate unit and could be put anywhere. We installed it above the bigger oven in a wall unit. It works great! Thanks for the comments on the bread! I know that you’re a NM chile lover a well. :)

43. Angie@Angie's Recipes June 25, 2013 at 9:53 am #

What a beautiful flatbread recipe, MJ! I love all the spices that you have added to the bread. Simply irresistible!

44. Laura @ Family Spice June 25, 2013 at 8:41 am #

Isn’t technology grand? My favorite part of my new convection oven is the “proof” button. It allows me to bake bread in the winter when my house is cold, and now I use it all the time since it’s chilly in San Diego most of the time.

1. Red Chile Bread | IMG Recipes| Discover Recipes, Cooking Tips & Food Images - April 12, 2014

[…] April 12, 2014 Sam Leave a comment Red Chile Bread A spicy and garlicky bread made with a paste of red chile powders and roasted garlic.For full “Red Chile Bread” recipe click here […]

2. Red Chile Paste | MJ's Kitchen - August 4, 2013