Apple Pecan Crepes with Cheddar Cheese

Crepes with sauteed apples, toasted pecans, cheddar cheese and maple syrup

If somewhere in the human genome there is a gene for a sweet tooth, then my family has it! We always had desserts and sweets to nibble on when I was growing up and we all still need that little bite of something sweet after each meal. One of my favorite sweet treats that my mama use to make, and one I still love today is taking a piece of apple pie, topping it with a big slice of cheddar cheese and putting it under the broiler until the cheese melted all over the pie. Mama’s apple pies were already delicious, but when she added the cheddar – I was in heaven!

These Apple Pecan Crepes with Cheddar Cheese kind of remind me of that pie, but are quite a bit lighter in calories and texture.  The crepes themselves are delicate and delicious, and folded into the crepes is some grated cheddar cheese.  The apples are gently sauteed in butter, topped with cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a touch of maple syrup, then placed on top of the crepes.  Pecans, chopped and toasted to enhanced their flavor are sprinkled on top, followed by a drizzle of warm maple syrup.  Now if that doesn’t get your mouthwatering, then nothing will!

Apple Pecan Crepes with Cheddar Cheese

Crepes with apples, pecan, and cheddar cheese

The crepes – This crepe recipe makes more crepes than you need for 2 people.  However, we always have enough crepes leftover to have them again twice during the week either as another breakfast or a dessert.  If I’m planning on making savory crepes for dinner, I’ll use the same recipe but omit the sugar and rum.

The seasoning – You can use a typical apple pie seasoning for this dish or adjust the amounts of cardamom, cinnamon and nutmeg to your own personal tastes.

The pecans – If you don’t have pecans you can substitute with walnuts.  To toast the pecans, heat a heavy skillet on the stovetop over a medium heat.  Add the pecans and toast lightly, tossing in the pan frequently.

The sweet tooth factor – The primary sweetener in this dish is the maple syrup; therefore, you can control the sweetness of the dish with the amount of maple syrup that you use.

My crepe pan – For a couple of decades I didn’t make crepes because I had a really crappy crepe pan.  It was one of those that you turn upside down into a bowl of batter, flip, and place on the burner. It was horrible!  About 10 years ago I broke down and bought a crepe pan that I love!  Because it’s steel, I treat it like castiron and it works great every time I use it!

Serve for breakfast, weekend brunch or dessert and enjoy!

Since it was my mother that influenced this recipe and I know that she would love them, I linked this post to Katherine Martinelli’s Mother’s Day Hop.  Check out all of the other wonderful ideas for Mother’s Day.

These Apple Pecan Crepes have also been linked to Food on Friday  .

Tags: , ,

58 Responses to “Apple Pecan Crepes with Cheddar Cheese”

1. Ishita S. May 12, 2013 at 8:57 pm #

I love, love, love the combination of apples and cheddar, especially in sweets — can’t wait to try these out!!

Also, love your blog — I nominated it for a Liebster Award!

• mj May 13, 2013 at 11:29 am #

Thanks SO MUCH Ishita! That’s very sweet of you!

2. Charles May 12, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

Hi MJ – I love the combination of apples and pecans (or walnuts which I’ve always thought are quite similar and much cheaper/more common in Europe) – it’s such a lovely flavour combination together and in this beautiful breakfast… well, what a treat, to be sure. I’m intrigued by the idea of the cheddar. I guess it must give a really nice background creaminess, with a slight hint of saltiness maybe… must give it a try sometime!

• mj May 13, 2013 at 11:29 am #

Thanks Charles! I love apples and walnuts as well, but Bobby isn’t a big walnut fan, so I use pecans more often. We both LOVE pecans! :) You are right – the cheese does add a little salty creaminess to the dish. So good!

3. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes May 12, 2013 at 5:51 am #

Apple crepes with rum and vanilla ice cream were a staple here in restaurants some years ago, but with cheese… wow, that makes them so, so much better! Love the idea.

4. Liz May 11, 2013 at 7:11 pm #

Yup, my family has the gene, too…trying to figure if it’s dominant or recessive…as only my dad doesn’t seem to have the sweet tooth that the rest of the family does :) Your crepes look amazing…I love all things apple, so these I couldn’t resist!

• mj May 13, 2013 at 11:27 am #

Thanks Liz! I think it’s dominant in our family since both of my parents LOVED the sweet stuff as well as all 4 kids. :)

5. Adora's Box May 11, 2013 at 5:27 pm #

If this doesn’t shoot you up to seventh heaven, nothing else will. Apples, crepes are both good on their own but together with cardamom, cinnamon nutmeg and cheese…I can imagine how fabulous that tastes.

• mj May 13, 2013 at 11:26 am #

Thanks Adora! I haven’t heard that expression in quite a while. Always makes me smile. :) Have a wonderful week!

6. Gomo | cHow Divine May 11, 2013 at 1:10 pm #

So much goodness on that plate MJ! Admittedly I don’t have your sweet tooth; but how can anyone deny the goodness that comes from apples and cheese together?! I’m so in love with this dish! :)

7. Rita Bose May 11, 2013 at 5:56 am #

Crepes look wonderful! Tempting! Drooling over here! :D

8. Anne@FromMySweetHeart May 10, 2013 at 10:08 pm #

Wow, MJ….this is something I would absolutely love eating for breakfast! You know, I love to eat apple slices with cheese. But I’ve never had the melted cheddar on apple pie thing. But these crepes look pretty amazing! A little sweet, savory, salty……these are definitely on my ‘must make’ list! : )

• mj May 11, 2013 at 8:32 pm #

Thanks Anne! I’m quite surprised at all of the people that haven’t had cheddar on apple pie. I guess it is a southern thing. Gotta love that southern comfort food.

9. Nami | Just One Cookbook May 10, 2013 at 5:22 pm #

I love crepes and always try new recipe whenever I see it. Now I got your crepe recipe to try! I love that you prepared sauteed apples too. But the #1 surprise from this recipe was cheddar cheese! I love the surprise ingredient and can’t wait to taste the whole thing together! Gorgeous photography… It makes me want to try right now.

10. Karen (Back Road Journal) May 10, 2013 at 2:08 pm #

What delicious looking crepes…perfect for a brunch for Mother’s Day.

11. Joanne/Winelady Cooks May 10, 2013 at 2:05 pm #

Hi MJ, Your recipe has me wanting to make this today. I haven’t made crepes in a long time. My daughters always remind me about the special dessert I would make for them when they were kids — crepes filled with vanilla ice cream and topped with chocolate syrup and fresh strawberries. I think it’s now time to step up my game and make your gourmet apple pecan crepes.

Thank you so much for sharing this delicious recipe,
    Joanne

• mj May 11, 2013 at 8:30 pm #

Thanks Joanne! OK, now I need to make creeps with ice cream, chocolate and strawberries. I’ll be dreaming about that one. :)

12. Nancy/SpicieFoodie May 10, 2013 at 12:50 pm #

My mouth is seriously watering right now MJ — simply wow! I have to try the cheddar next time I make apple pie. As for these crepes, they are now on my list to try and soon. Love the addition of rum too. Thanks so much for sharing:) Have a great weekend. xx

• mj May 11, 2013 at 8:27 pm #

Thanks Nancy! Oh you must try apple pie with cheese. It’s SO good!

13. Zsuzsa May 10, 2013 at 8:42 am #

Oh my! Peach Lady you got me with that thin line of syrup down the middle. :-) Apple and pecans and crepes – all my favourites are here. I am leaving I didn’t need to see this this early in the morning! :-)

• mj May 11, 2013 at 8:26 pm #

Thanks Zsuzsa and sorry for the temptation. I know this doesn’t meet your diet plan. :(

14. Asmita May 10, 2013 at 6:09 am #

Hi MJ,
    This is stunning! The apples, cinnamon and rum is a heavenly combination.

15. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen May 10, 2013 at 5:40 am #

My mouth literally watered when I saw the title and the photo! WOW!

16. ChgoJohn May 9, 2013 at 11:31 pm #

This is the 2nd crepes post I’ve read today, MJ. I take this as a sign that I need to overcome my crepe making phobia and get to work. It’s that you added cheddar cheese to the mix. I so love that combination! As I mentioned in the other post, if I fail I’ll use the apples to top off my ice cream. That’s some failure!

• mj May 11, 2013 at 8:25 pm #

Go for it John! You can do it. I have faith in you. Also, if you’re like me, when you do have a back plan (and yours is a great one BTW), things turn out right the first time. :)

17. Jen @JuanitasCocina May 9, 2013 at 5:16 pm #

Apples AND cheese? I’m just…speechless!

18. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef May 9, 2013 at 3:54 pm #

I have the same genes and I’d stand in a line outside your door for these crepes :)

19. I simply love the idea of cheddar cheese on it.

20. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies May 9, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

You are making me SO hungry right now. I love apples and cheddar together and putting them in crepes sounds heavenly!

21. Ramona May 9, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

I have never tried apple pie with cheddar cheese… the flavor combination is very intriguing to me. I like how you created the flavors you love together in a beautiful crepe. :)

22. Jeanne (NanaBread) May 9, 2013 at 1:20 pm #

Gorgeous, MJ! I can almost smell the apples & cinnamon. And I love the addition of rum. YUM!

23. Giulietta | Alterkitchen May 9, 2013 at 11:39 am #

Well, I don’t have your gene, then ;)
    Honestly at first I thought I misunderstood.. cheddar cheese on apple pecan crepes?! But I read right the first time… I wonder how it taste like?!

• mj May 9, 2013 at 8:39 pm #

You read right Darlin! Cheddar cheese is part of this recipe! You need to read it, it’s really good!

24. Angie@Angie's Recipes May 9, 2013 at 11:24 am #

These crepes are rich and delicious!

25. Sissi May 9, 2013 at 11:13 am #

MJ, your photos don’t even need words to describe how great these crêpes must taste… but your description makes them even more tempting. The cheddar’s addition to a sweet dish makes your crêpes even more intriguing!
    I haven’t made crêpes for ages, but last several batches were the buckwheat ones (called “galettes” in Brittany region of France, where they come from). They are obligatory (for me!) for savoury versions now: the first time I tasted a buckwheat crêpe with savoury filling, I decided I would leave the white flour ones for desserts only.

• mj May 9, 2013 at 8:38 pm #

Thanks Sissi! Buckwheat crepes – you are such a healthy eating person! I can see that they might be a little heavy for breakfast, but I do bet they are great in a savory dish. Maybe sauteed mushrooms, or a ratatouille filling? Yum! I love making crepes and do make them often, so I’m going to have to pick up some buckwheat flour at the co-op and give the savory ones a try. Thanks for the idea!

26. Debbie @ Easy Natural Food May 9, 2013 at 11:12 am #

Completely, totally, utterly drool worthy! I adore crepes, especially since I got stuck with the sweet tooth gene too :) Oh the rum…how naughty!

27. john@kitchenriffs May 9, 2013 at 11:05 am #

I really enjoy making crepes, although it’s been awhile. I just make them in a 7- or 8-inch frying pan; although a dedicated crepe pan would be fun to have. I remember those upside-down crepe pans, and everyone I know who’s had one really didn’t like it. Dark rum is a great ingredient in crepes, and I love the idea of including cheddar cheese in the batter. Not something I’ve done, but sounds wonderful! Really good stuff – thanks so much.

• mj May 9, 2013 at 8:31 pm #

Thanks John! You’re the first person I’ve ran across that remembers the upside down crepes pans. What a silly invention. :) BTW – the cheese is not in the batter, it’s folded into the cooked crepe. I know you have some dark rum in that liquor cabinet of yours, so you should try this.

28. Jane May 9, 2013 at 10:48 am #

Looks incredible! I’ve actually never had cheddar cheese on apple pie, but I have always thought it sounded really good! Thanks for the link to your crepe pan – I may just have an excuse to get it now! :)

• mj May 9, 2013 at 8:29 pm #

Thanks Jane! As much as you like cheese, I’m sure you’ll love apple pie and cheddar. That crepe pan is relatively cheap and is a really good pan. If you get it, I hope you have fun with. I sure have. :)

29. Michelle @ Simplify, Live, Love May 9, 2013 at 10:43 am #

Oh my!! These look fabulous. As always, your pictures are delicious! I want to eat that crepe right off my screen. :-) Have a great day, MJ!

30. Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin May 9, 2013 at 9:59 am #

I absolutely have that sweet tooth gene too :) And apple sweets are one of my all-time favorite desserts – sounds wonderful with the pecans and maple.

1. Cornmeal Ricotta Pancake Recipe | MJ's Kitchen - October 18, 2013