Thai Tea Apricot Smoothie

Thai Tea Smoothie with Apricot and Mango

Now that it’s spring I’m really focused on getting last year’s produce out of the freezer to make room for this year’s. A couple of weeks ago I used some of the corn and a roasted bell pepper in my Braised Red Chile Chicken and Vegetables, and then finished off the roasted bell peppers in the Roasted Bell Pepper Cheese Spread.  For several weeks I’ve been working on the abundance of frozen apricots from last year’s prolific crop.  One of the things I’ve been making is the smoothie:  apricot smoothies, apricot banana smoothies, apricot peach smoothies and my favorite – Thai Tea Apricot Mango Smoothie.

Several weeks ago I came across a simply delicious Thai Iced Tea recipe over at my friend’s blog  – Wok with Ray.  I immediately ran out and bought a one pound bag of Thai tea, the smallest size bag the Asian market sold.  With all that tea Bobby and I have been able to mix up our afternoon tea time with Chai tea and Thai tea as well as play around with other uses for Thai tea. When developing this smoothie, I went with the orange color of Thai tea and selected apricots and mango as the fruits.  What a delicious way to get your vitamins and morning caffeine all in one drink.

Thai Tea Smoothie with Apricot and Mango

Thai Tea

Thai Tea – What is Thai tea?  To be honest, I’m not exactly sure.  The ingredient list on the package I bought said black tea, assortment of herbs and spices and #6 orange dye.  Doesn’t help much does it? I did a little research and found that primarily, Thai tea consists of black tea as the base but then it varies some after that.  Additional ingredients could include star anise, orange blossom water, tamarind, and food coloring. I’m not a big fan of food coloring, but considering the delicious flavor and health benefits of Thai tea, I can overlook a little bit of food coloring. The flavor is quite unique and one that I have become addicted to.

The apricots and mango – You can use frozen or fresh fruit; however, since the tea is going to be warm, it’s best to use at least one frozen fruit so that the smoothie will be cold enough without having to add ice. I’ve been using frozen apricots and fresh mangoes.  I’ve also used peaches in place of mango, but I preferred the mango with the Thai tea.  Now if you don’t add the Thai tea, an apricot peach smoothie is delicious!

Vegan option – For a vegan smoothie, omit the yogurt and increase the amount of almond milk.  The smoothie will be a little thinner, but not by much.

The maple syrup – You can use any sweetener you choose. I personally like maple syrup in my smoothies, but agave nectar, sugar or honey would also work.  If you use honey or sugar, be sure to add it the strained, warm tea so that it will dissolve.

The almond milk - You can substitute the almond milk with soy milk or regular milk, but I wouldn’t suggest coconut milk. I fear it would overpower the wonderful flavor of the Thai tea. If you choose to take the decadent route, you could use a little sweetened condensed milk, the milk used in restaurant-style Thai iced tea drinks. If you choose this route, then cut back on or eliminate the sweetener.

Enjoy!

This Thai Tea Apricot Smoothie was featured on the following pages and has been shared with the following blog hops.

Made With Love Mondays   .

BlissTree’s Apricot Brunch-Off

Tags: , , ,

56 Responses to “Thai Tea Apricot Smoothie”

1. Javelin Warrior October 9, 2013 at 1:28 pm #

This shake is gorgeous, MJ – I remember it from Food Fetish Fridays this spring and I’m still fan! The combination of apricots and thai tea sounds delicious – a wonderfully bright way to way up in the morning!

2. Jenne May 23, 2013 at 9:16 am #

I love apricots and this sounds simply amazing! Definitely on the to make list.

3. Carolyn Jung April 29, 2013 at 5:31 pm #

I bet this tastes incredible. The color is more gorgeous than a sunset. ;)

4. Biren @ Roti n Rice April 26, 2013 at 10:47 pm #

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of Thai tea. I must keep a lookout for it although like you, I am not a fan of food coloring. I do like your smoothie as the combination of apricots and mangoes sounds fantastic! Love the color too!

5. Terra April 22, 2013 at 8:07 pm #

I have never made a smoothie with apricots, or tea. The flavor combo with the mangos sound really amazing! Beautiful, Hugs, Terra

• mj April 23, 2013 at 7:39 am #

Thanks Terra! I make smoothies quite often with apricots but this was a first for me on adding the tea. It just sounded right and was so good!

6. Sandra's Easy Cooking April 22, 2013 at 5:38 pm #

MJ, this is just so perfect for any time of the year especially now when the warm weather is knocking. Love the color, the flavors and whole combination sounds extremely refreshing. I have to try this soon! Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful week!

• mj April 23, 2013 at 7:38 am #

Thanks Sandra! The color is amazing, isn’t it? I hope you have a wonderful week as well.

7. Charles April 21, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

Mm, what a lovely idea for a drink. I’d never heard of thai tea before… I’ve never been able to quite get on board with “chai” tea… the flavouring just seems weird to me, and I was worried that this was that (I read thai as chai), so it’s nice to see it’s not. The colour in that smoothie is fantastic – love apricots too. Rare is the time when I’m able to get good fresh ones though. They either seem sour as anything, or ripe but really “dry” :(.

As you say, the trick is to get frozen ones, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen frozen apricots for sale before… I’ll have a look next time in the store.

• mj April 22, 2013 at 7:49 am #

Thanks Charles! Well, I’m a chai tea lover, but I think Thai tea has become my new love. :) The color is fantastic, isn’t it? I got really bummed yesterday because it’s been so warm here I thought we would have another great apricot crop. But we had a hard freeze Saturday night so there goes the apricots. Now I have to slow down on using what I have in the freezer. :) I’m sure purchasing frozen apricots is a trick. I’ve never seen them. Good luck and have a great week!

8. Gomo | cHow Divine April 20, 2013 at 3:59 pm #

I’m not sure what Thai tea consists of, but I know it tastes good! :-) I order it often whenever I’m at Thai restaurants. This smoothie looks so much better tho. Love the color. Love that mangoes are in it. Love everything about it. Thanks for sharing the recipe MJ!

• mj April 21, 2013 at 8:23 am #

Thanks Como! If you like the Thai teas served on restaurants, you’ll love this. I don’t make mine near as sweet, but you can make it as sweet as you want.

9. Lokness @ The Missing Lokness April 19, 2013 at 5:18 pm #

I have had many thai tea, but definitely not with apricot and yogurt. I have a bag of thai tea at home too. I should perhaps whip up your smoothie this weekend. :)

• mj April 19, 2013 at 9:11 pm #

Thanks Lokness! I do hope you get a chance to try this. Since you obvious like Thai Tea, I think you’ll love this smoothie.

10. Viviane Bauquet Farre- Food and Style April 19, 2013 at 5:05 pm #

What a vibrant drink, MJ! And it looks so refreshing, too!

11. Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb April 19, 2013 at 7:09 am #

What a flashy wanton orange color Mj! That’s the right season for mangoes now, ours are getting ready and should be falling of the trees one of these days. But there is no way that I ll get apricots here. I kind of miss apricot here in Asia, they are some of my fav fruits from europe. Very inspiring drink MJ and great combination of flavors. =)

• mj April 19, 2013 at 9:29 am #

Thanks Helene! The orange color is amazing! It blew me away. :) Oh to have mangos picked ripe from a tree. You are so lucky to have all of that wonderful tropically fruit in your back yard. Since you can’t find apricots in Goa, just choose any other fruit that is orange. I’m sure it would work. Have a wonderful weekend!

12. Vicki Bensinger April 18, 2013 at 10:34 pm #

I love smoothies but have never tried one like this with that Thai tea. I need to go pick some of this up and whip up a batch. Sounds incredibly delicious!

13. Soni April 18, 2013 at 6:28 am #

I’m a big tea drinker and this seems totally my kind of smoothie :) I love the addition of apricots and mango! So flavorful and delicious!!

14. Sanjeeta kk April 17, 2013 at 11:59 pm #

Aha…I have all the ingredients mentioned to make this gorgeous smoothie! At last :) I so much relate apricots with ‘MJ’s Apricot kitchen’…may be I could try this out with my Darjeeling tea leaves…

• mj April 18, 2013 at 5:45 pm #

Thanks so much Sanjeeta! I do love apricots! :) Darjeeling actually sounds pretty good, a different flavor, but since I have a cup of Darjeeling every morning anyway – makes since to use it in a smoothie. If you try it, let me know how it turns out.

15. Nancy/SpicieFoodie April 17, 2013 at 8:09 am #

I love Thai tea but haven’t been able to find it here. Your smoothie sounds like one my husband and I both would love. I’m going to check the Asians stores for the tea again because now I’m craving it and your smoothie. Thanks for sharing the recipe and info on exactly what it is.:)

• mj April 21, 2013 at 8:25 am #

Thanks Nancy! When you go to the Asian market, you might have to ask. Thai tea wasn’t in the tea section at our market. I never would have found it if I hadn’t asked.

16. Katerina April 17, 2013 at 2:47 am #

You found a delicious way to use your apricots! Especially now that spring is here such smoothies are perfect to take the thirst away!

17. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef April 17, 2013 at 1:11 am #

The texture looks so creamy. I really want one of these right now. I love apricots.

18. Raymund April 17, 2013 at 12:52 am #

Apricots would give it a nice tarty taste. Very nice recipe

19. Nami | Just One Cookbook April 16, 2013 at 11:27 pm #

All the sudden I got thirrrrrrsty!!!! You succeeded to make us crave for this drink, MJ! I love Thai tea, and I can’t wait to make this. Weather is getting warmer, and perfect season to start making cold drinks!

20. ChgoJohn April 16, 2013 at 9:49 pm #

This looks and sounds great, MJ. I’m all for new smoothies to start my day. This one, with a bit of caffeine, sounds perfect for me.

21. Debra April 16, 2013 at 6:41 pm #

I am off to the Asian market for the some Thai tea. My mother-in-law would love it black but I am excited about this recipe! The spices in the tea really sounds delicious. I wonder if you could use an Orange Pekoe but add a few things like star anise?

• mj April 16, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

Thanks Debra! I don’t see why you couldn’t create your own flavored tea. Orange pekoe sounds like a great base and throw in whatever spices you want. Let me know if you try it and what you come up with. I love playing with teas!

22. Liz April 16, 2013 at 5:49 pm #

I’ve never seen frozen apricots! I must hunt some down. What a gorgeous drink…and it must taste scrumptious!

• mj April 16, 2013 at 7:58 pm #

Thanks Liz! Now that you mention it, I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen frozen apricots at the store. A friend of mine has a couple of apricot trees and whenever she gets a good crop, she invites me over to pick some. Last year was a bumper crop so I was over there at least once a week for a month! To freeze them, I just pitted and sliced and then added a touch of sugar. They freeze great!

23. Hotly Spiced April 16, 2013 at 5:41 pm #

This looks so beautiful. I love the flavour of apricots and doesn’t it end up being such a pretty colour xx

24. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies April 16, 2013 at 4:00 pm #

I always get Thai iced tea when I go to Thai restaurants–it’s so good! Using it in a smoothie sounds even better, though. And healthier too!

25. wok with ray April 16, 2013 at 12:38 pm #

OMG, you really raised the bar on Thai tea by adding mango, and apricot. I am looking at the ingredients — maple syrup and vanilla extract? Wow, those flavors will be very festive on every sip of this smoothie. Very nice and vibrant shot of the drink, MJ!

Thank you so much for the mention there my friend it’s very nice of you.

~ ray ~

• mj April 16, 2013 at 7:55 pm #

Thanks Ray! Thank you for turning me on to the Thai tea leaves. I love that flavor and I don’t need the sweetened condensed. It’s so good!

26. Lori Lynn April 16, 2013 at 12:16 pm #

Now doesn’t that sound delightful?
    LL

27. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles April 16, 2013 at 11:41 am #

MJ, this is utterly beautiful and such a creative use of ingredients across the board. I can’t get over the color – exquisite! And you’re right; whenever you see vibrant colors like this, you know you’re working in some powerfully nutritive vits/mins. I love yogurt in my smoothies, so that would definitely make it’s way in to my version as well.

Just had a quick read of Sissi’s note above – I believe Thai tea is sometimes used as an abbreviation for Thai iced tea which would include the sugar. Traditional Thai tea (on its own) was originally made from ceylon tea but given ceylon’s elevated price, black tea is often used as a substitute.

• mj April 16, 2013 at 7:53 pm #

Thanks Kelly! I’m with you on the color. The first time I made this I went WOW! So much prettier than some of my other smoothies. I’m with you on the yogurt. I always have it in the fridge, so anywhere from 1/2 cup to 1 cup gets added to my smoothies. I saw that about ceylon tea originally being used. It did surprise me that they stopped adding it because of costs. I couldn’t find what type of black tea is now used, but whatever they use, I love it. I can tell it’s not ceylon because that is actually my least favorite black tea. I’m actually a Darjeeling girl. :)

28. Treat and Trick April 16, 2013 at 11:26 am #

The color is just stunning! First time I came across such a wonderful smoothie combining tea, apricot and mango..

29. Jane April 16, 2013 at 8:56 am #

Very interesting! Sounds like a great snack – and I love that you have daily tea time!!

• mj April 16, 2013 at 7:47 pm #

Thanks Jane! Yep – Bobby and I both work from home and are semi-retired, so a daily tea is one of our self-indulgent treats.

30. john@kitchenriffs April 16, 2013 at 8:55 am #

Very cool stuff! An interesting way to use Thai Tea (and clean out your freezer!). I’ll bet the combo of flavors is really interesting. Fun recipe and post – thanks.

31. Amber @ The Cook's Sister April 16, 2013 at 8:31 am #

What a great looking smoothie! What’s in Thai tea? Is it spicy like Chai? A green, black or herbal tea?

• mj April 16, 2013 at 7:46 pm #

Thanks Amber! Thai tea is a black tea with other flavors like star anise, orange blossom and/or tamarind. It’s not spicy at all – just naturally sweet and citrusy. The anise isn’t very strong because I really have to think about it to taste the anise or licorice flavor of the anise.

32. Gourmantine April 16, 2013 at 8:31 am #

If only I had apricots in my freezer (or would be able to find any around to buy)…

33. Angie@Angie's Recipes April 16, 2013 at 7:44 am #

Fantastic clicks, Mj. I want one now!

34. Tessa April 16, 2013 at 6:45 am #

Wow! What gorgeous color on that smoothie!

35. Ramona April 16, 2013 at 6:04 am #

Love all the flavors you have here MJ! I bet it tasted fantastic. :)

36. Sissi April 16, 2013 at 5:03 am #

I have already forgotten how gorgeous apricot colour is…. Such a vivid, sunny smoothie would instantly improve my mood, even though I have never had Thai tea (I must check if they sell it here; thank you for the precious notes: I don’t know why but I was sure Thai tea was something packed with sugar and a kind of ready-to-use product). I have never thought of apricot and mango combination, which sounds very tempting. I don’t have any frozen fruit, but lots of preserves, so I know what you mean by trying to get rid of last year’s produce… (Actually I still have some which are three years old!).

• mj April 16, 2013 at 7:43 pm #

Thanks Sissi! When you order Thai Tea in a restaurant, yes, it’s quite sweet and fatty because most restaurants use sweetened condensed milk and lots of it. That’s one of the reasons why I love Ray’s version because he uses milk and you can use only as much sweetener as you desired. However, the basic flavors come from Thai tea leaves and seasonings. When I bought it at the Asian market it wasn’t in the tea section, I had to ask and they took me to the other side of the store to beverages. Not sure why it was over there because it was a bag of tea leaves. When I use to can, I too had a pantry full of 3 to 5 year old preserves, jams, jellies, etc. Now I’m down to a make it when you need mode and only what you need. :)

37. Jen @JuanitasCocina April 16, 2013 at 4:56 am #

The color for that smoothie is INSANE! Love the flavors you’ve included!

• mj April 16, 2013 at 7:36 pm #

Thanks Giulia and Jen! I agree the color is insane and does speak spring! Lots of good tastes.

38. Giulietta | Alterkitchen April 16, 2013 at 3:33 am #

What a delicious smoothie! With a very springy colour :)

1. Thai Tea Pudding | MJ's Kitchen - November 11, 2013

[…] I would ever use that much Thai tea.  Well, between making Wok With Ray’s Thai Iced Tea, my Thai Tea Apricot Smoothie, and now this pudding, that one pound bag is just about […]

2. Brunch-Off: Apricot Recipes - May 3, 2013