Southwestern Pileup

PileupSW4_Web

This Southwestern Pileup was originally shared with my good friend, Swathi of the Zesty South Indian Kitchen who invited me over to share one of my southwestern dishes. The Southwestern Pileup is a delicious, spicy and hearty dish that one can find on the menus of many New Mexican restaurants. However, it is so easy to make, that I make it a lot at home for both brunches and suppers.  It’s extremely versatile in that you can change it up to fit your mood. You can add meat or go meatless, use pretty much whatever vegetables are in your crisper, and top it with with your choice of chile or salsa.

You’ll find this recipe below, but you’ll also find th recipe and more information about the pileup over at Swathi’s. So before you leave today, be sure to check out the post over at Swathi’s, as well as many of her personal Indian creations.  Here are just a very few of my favorites.

Spicy Mini Cream Crackers
Batter Fried Plantain Fritters
Coffee Flavored Tres Leches Cake
Pineapple in Spicy Lentil Soup
Then there is her World Cuisine page that features recipes from Russia to Singapore.

Southwestern Pileup with New Mexico red chile sauce

Southwestern Pileup with New Mexico red chile sauce

The chile – The amount of chile sauce or salsa you use depends on the heat of the sauce and how hot you like it. The type of chile is dependent on what you have available. I’m not picky with red or green chile sauce. I like them both.  Some people will also go the Christmas route and use both red and green chile.  For example, I have been know to add green chile to the potatoes and then smother the whole dish with red chile sauce.  Of course if you have neither red nor green chile, don’t hesitate to use your favorite salsa or enchilada sauce.

The protein – The pileup in the pictures is my vegetarian version.  The protein I used was black beans, but you could also use pinto or bolita beans.   My favorite protein combination is black beans and bacon.  However, we also like it with Mexican chorizo with no beans.

The Cheese – Cheddar is the best in my book.  However, Monterey Jack always is a good substitute as well as Feta cheese. I know the feta may sound strange, but I love feta in any dish that I use red chile sauce.

The vegetables – The vegetables that I used here are traditional. However, your could add a little broccoli, squash, or corn for variety.

As you can see, a Southwestern Pileup is more than just potatoes and chile.  Play with the ingredients and create your own. I know you’re going to love it!

This recipe was featured on

FetishWorthyFoodx225WBWS tips button

This Southwesten Pileup has been shared with Michelle’s Tasty Creations, Foodie Friday, My Meatless Monday  .

Tags: , , , ,

55 Responses to “Southwestern Pileup”

1. dating sites December 1, 2013 at 8:01 am #

Very quickly this site will be famous among all
    blog people, due to it’s fastidious posts

2. Minnie@thelady8home July 25, 2013 at 5:55 am #

This dish looks amazing, truly!!! The flavors stand out. I have made this with other flavors (didn’t add salsa though), and I can’t wait to try it with salsa. Yumm!!

• mj July 25, 2013 at 5:28 pm #

Thanks Minnie! We’ve been making this dish for years and I haven’t really tried it with salsa either. We always used either red or green chile sauce. :)

3. Diane Balch June 7, 2013 at 7:17 am #

Just wanted you to know that your recipe is being featured on foodie friday today. Stop by and get your featured button. Thank you again for sharing it with us.

• mj June 14, 2013 at 1:01 am #

Thanks so much Diane!

4. Diane Balch June 3, 2013 at 6:40 pm #

Anything with an egg on top is a perfect meal to me. Love the flexabilty of this recipe. I’m pinning it. Thanks for sharing it on foodie friday.

5. Reese@SeasonwithSpice May 7, 2013 at 9:48 am #

Southwestern Pile-up…what a great name for the dish! Love that you used comforting & everyday ingredients to build the ‘pile’. Gotta try it with eggs when we make ‘pile-up’ next time. I like adding something more hearty into our typical lighter versions for dinner, so it can carry us through midnight:) Thanks for introducing us to Swathi’s site too..She does have some really creative dishes which caught my attention right away. Have a lovely week, MJ!

6. Minnie@thelady8home May 3, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

MJ, the pot looks so good!! I am bookmarking it. It’s making me drool all over the keyboard.

7. Nancy/SpicieFoodie May 2, 2013 at 12:57 pm #

Hi MJ! I just stopped by and wow what a fantastic recipe. I could eat your pile up for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Yum:)

8. Everything with egg on it is welcome, hahaha. Thank you for introducing us to Swathi’s recipes :)

9. Nami | Just One Cookbook May 1, 2013 at 10:02 am #

Ohhh I need to check out the recipe. With reduce in heat my family will definitely enjoy this dish on weekend! I have a weak spot especially for a dish with fried egg on top. Now that makes it a must dish to try!

10. Renee @ Tortillas and Honey April 30, 2013 at 12:17 pm #

Yay for pile-ups!!!! They are one of my absolute favorite New Mexican dishes. I was actually planning on making one this week, haha. Your pileup looks absolutely delicious, I love all the flavors you’ve used. I can definitely do the bacon and chorizo, gonna have to try your version. Thank you MJ!

• mj April 30, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

Thanks Renee! Like you, we do make this quite often – mostly for a Sunday brunch. I love it with chorizo! During the fall when I have lots of roasted green chile, I love smothering it in green chile sauce. :)

11. Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin April 30, 2013 at 9:31 am #

Your gorgeous food photography is making me extremely hungry! :) What’s not to love about this dish – for breakfast, for lunch, or for dinner! :)

12. Katerina April 30, 2013 at 4:19 am #

This is a beautiful photo MJ! I am a big fan of Mexican and this sounds and looks like something I would definitely enjoy eating!

13. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles April 29, 2013 at 8:06 pm #

Now that’s my kind of pileup! ;-). (Gorgeous photo MJ!). Thank you for sharing some of Swathi’s delights – love the idea of a pineapple lentil soup and those crackers are fabulous! Will head over to Swathi’s to check out your post…

14. Charles April 29, 2013 at 4:46 pm #

I never heard of a pileup before MJ, though I can tell by the photo I’d like it hehe :) Will stop by and check it out!

15. wok with ray April 29, 2013 at 9:18 am #

I love it when you guest post. You never disappoint your readers, and friends. You are one amazing cook my friend. And this pileup is really making me drool. In my book, you are the authority when it comes to Southwestern dishes. Really amazing, MJ!

16. Zsuzsa April 29, 2013 at 8:44 am #

Very colourful and probably flavourful dish Peach Lady.

17. Hotly Spiced April 29, 2013 at 7:41 am #

That’s a very tasty looking dish. I haven’t heard of it before but the combination of flavours and textures looks wonderful xx

18. Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb April 29, 2013 at 2:45 am #

Oh MJ your southwestern pileup looks so delicious, I have to save the recipe from swathis page. I hadn’t heard of this dish before and you know I like to check out and try dishes with character. ^.^

19. Giulietta | Alterkitchen April 29, 2013 at 2:16 am #

This dish looks amazing, MJ!

20. Raymund April 29, 2013 at 1:59 am #

This looks like a really good breakfast. Nice dish to start a day.

21. LinsFood April 28, 2013 at 11:18 am #

This has got my name all over it, what an indulgent, totally satisfying dish for Sunday brunch!

22. Tessa April 28, 2013 at 10:56 am #

Lovely recipe MJ! I never heard of a pileup before… Great dish and gorgeous photos!

23. Nilu A April 28, 2013 at 7:39 am #

Yummy pile-up.. Wish to eat this right now.. :-)

24. Debra April 27, 2013 at 5:31 pm #

So, this just shows me how much I do NOT know about NM cuisine. Heading over there directly to check it out.

25. Gomo | cHow Divine April 27, 2013 at 2:28 pm #

This pileup looks wonderful! When I was living in California, I used to get this type of breakfast all the time. Your post is making me miss San Diego. It’s just not the same here. I’m off to Swathi’s blog to check out the recipe! :-)

26. Ramona April 27, 2013 at 5:32 am #

Now this is one pile up I want to get under (and eat my out). What a fun dish. Off to check it out at Swathi’s blog. :)

27. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef April 26, 2013 at 6:39 pm #

I just love the name. I agree with you about Swathi! Off to check it out.

28. humi April 26, 2013 at 2:57 pm #

Loved the pileup recipe & the simplicity in which it is prepared.

• mj April 28, 2013 at 11:30 am #

Thanks Humi! Nice to meet you and thanks for dropping by!

29. CCU April 26, 2013 at 2:06 pm #

I love the idea of a pileup as a meal :D
    Yum!

CCU

30. Sawsan @chef in disguise April 26, 2013 at 1:33 pm #

That pileup looks like a wonderful hearty meal
    Heading over to check it out

31. Sissi April 26, 2013 at 12:22 pm #

What a hilarious name, MJ! And it looks terrific. Do I see beans? fried egg? potatoes? I am hopping to Swathi’s blog not only because I am dying to see the detailed recipe but also because I love Indian cuisine and am always happy to meet an Indian blogger.
    PS I have just bought a bag or black beans, the first in my life! I’m very curious about the taste (you will not believe me but I have never even tasted black beans…).

• mj April 27, 2013 at 10:26 pm #

Thanks Sissi! Wow! Black beans! You’re going to love them! Are you going to slow cook them or pressure cook them? Some of your spicy sauces will go quite well with them. Let me know if you need recipe suggestions.

• Sissi April 30, 2013 at 6:07 am #

Haha! I have neither slow cooker nor pressure cooker. I am trying to limit the kitchen gadgets and appliances to the minimum, my kitchen is quite big (although nothing to do with your ballroom ;-) ) but it’s already bursting…
        I will cook them in a normal pan but still wonder which recipe to use. It’s so kind of you! If you have a suggestion, I would be very grateful (something hot, maybe with tomatoes/tomato sauce? I have been recently in need of tomatoes).

• mj April 30, 2013 at 3:53 pm #

Well, even in my ballroom of a kitchen, you won’t find a slowcooker, but I do have a 37 year old pressure cooker. :) Tonight or tomorrow, I’ll send you a couple of my favorite recipes with black beans and “something hot”. :)

32. Jane April 26, 2013 at 11:09 am #

This is very interesting to me, as I have been to India! I love “pileup” meals, a little of everything! Thanks for sharing!

• mj April 27, 2013 at 10:22 pm #

Thanks Jane! I’ll have look up an Indian version of the pileup.

33. Swathi April 26, 2013 at 10:54 am #

Thanks Mj for doing guest post for my blog. I love all the flavors you put it together. I thoroughly enjoyed having you in my kitchen.

• mj April 27, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

Thanks my friend! You made it very easy. :)

34. john@kitchenriffs April 26, 2013 at 10:14 am #

Sounds great! On my way to check it out . . .

35. Nisa Homey April 26, 2013 at 10:12 am #

Mj, that looks yum…heading over to Swathi’s space.

36. Angie@Angie's Recipes April 26, 2013 at 10:06 am #

The pileup looks very tasty!

37. Lesley April 26, 2013 at 10:01 am #

I love having breakfast for dinner about once a week and this looks delicious!

38. susanna April 26, 2013 at 9:30 am #

Dear

my family lives in Texas ,and I am a south India
    Thank you .love to get your mail .
    blessings

• mj April 27, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

Nice to meet you Susanna. Thanks for stopping by.

39. Rita Bose April 26, 2013 at 9:19 am #

I am a great fan of Swathi’s as well your blog, MJ!! Lovely guest-post! Just stopped by her blog and saw it! Wonderful and delicious! :)

• mj April 27, 2013 at 10:19 pm #

Thanks Rita! She is great isn’t she? Thanks for stopping by.

1. Green Chile Home Fries with Leeks and Carrots | MJ's Kitchen - September 11, 2014

[…] hearty brunch and is a great way to get your vegetables, carbs and protein.  It is similar to the Southwestern Pileup, but the leeks and carrots provide a different flavor profile than the onion and bell pepper in the […]

2. Cooking With Eggs | We Dip It Cooking - June 8, 2014

[…] Korean Dol Sot Bi Bim BapEggs Over Easy with Mushrooms on Rye – What a Mouthful!Southwestern Pileup.broken_link, a.broken_link { text-decoration: line-through; […]

3. Method for cooking eggs over easy | MJ's Kitchen - March 2, 2014

[…] Southwestern Pileup […]

4. Red Chile Pumpkin Sauce | MJ's Kitchen - November 15, 2013

[…] Chile Sauce on Red Chile Enchiladas, Shiitake and Black Beans Enchiladas, Huevos Rancheros or a Southwestern Pileup.  Use as a topping on a bowl of pinto beans, black beans, or bolita beans along with chopped […]

5. New Mexico Red Chile | MJ's Kitchen - July 31, 2013