Roasted Bell Pepper Cheese Spread

A spread with roasted bell pepper, almonds, and goat cheese

Figuring out what to have for breakfast and supper is easy, but I do have a hard time sometimes with lunch. If we don’t have any leftovers, then we’ll either have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or I’ll throw together a snack type lunch like my Cucumber Crostini. This week I’ll be sharing two more of our lunchtime snacks – this Roasted Bell Pepper Almond Spread and another one that is a bit more spicy – a Green Chile Pecan Cheese Spread.  I have had several readers mention that they can’t handle spicy foods very well, so this one is for you.

This bell pepper spread is a little sweet but that’s due only to the sweetness of the roasted bell pepper.  The cheese is capricho de cabra – a Spanish goat cheese produced with the milk from Murciana goats.  This goat cheese is different from what I normally buy. Instead of being crumbly, capricho de cabra is creamy and can be stirred into a buttery spread.  You really don’t have to add anything to it, but it works as a great complement to the roasted bell pepper.  Add a little olive brine for acid and chopped almonds for another layer of flavor and texture and you have a tasty spread for bagels, pita chips, your favorite crackers or apple slices.  Have it for lunch or share with friends as an appetizer or party dip.

Roasted bell pepper, toasted almond and capricho de cabra

Roasted Bell Pepper Cheese Spread

The capricho de cabra – I’m sure you would be able to find this cheese in any store that has a decent cheese selection.  I have found it at both my local co-op and Whole Foods.  For this recipe, buy the “plain” capricho de cabra. If you are looking for a really quick snack with no preparation, buy one that has already been seasoned with herbs and spices (but don’t use it in this recipe). If you can’t find capricho de cabra, then your favorite chévre (fresh goat cheese) works just as well

The roasted bell pepper – It is important to drain and pat the roasted bell pepper until is somewhat dry.  Too much liquid will transform this creamy dip into a liquid mess. If you don’t have a roasted bell pepper in the freezer or a jar in the pantry, you can always roast it under the broiler. If you roast it, be sure to let it cool before adding it to the cheese.  You don’t want it to melt the cheese.

The olive brine – If you don’t have olive brine, then use lemon.  Because of the sweetness of the bell pepper and the cheese, this spread needs a touch of acid.  You could use a white wine or rice vinegar if you cut back on the amount. If vinegar is all you have, then add it 1 tsp. at a time until you have the right acidity.

Make ahead – This spread can easily be made the day before and refrigerated. However, be sure to remove it from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before serving so it can soften.

I hope you enjoy this Roasted Bell Pepper Cheese Spread.  If you are looking for more appetizers with roasted bell peppers, then check out my Roasted Bell Pepper Appetizer and Tortellini with Roasted Bell Pepper and Onion.

Hearth & Soul Hop
This Roasted Bell Pepper Cheese Spread has been shared with the following blog hops:  Hearth and Soul  .

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Tags: , ,

73 Responses to “Roasted Bell Pepper Cheese Spread”

1. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen April 9, 2013 at 8:18 pm #

Oh, my this looks good! I haven’t heard of capricho de cabra.. but if I can’t find it, I’ll look for a spreadable cheese that’s similar. I love anything spicy, so I’ll be back to have a peak at that one as well:) xx

2. Viviane Bauquet Farre- Food and Style April 9, 2013 at 4:32 pm #

What a great lunch idea, MJ!

3. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles April 9, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

You make the greatest dips MJ! I can just imagine the medley of flavours here with the roasted bell pepper, almond and exquisite sounding goat cheese. The olive brine is such a good idea – can you believe I used to drink olive juice right from the bottle as a kid… my school friends would buy me a big jar of queen olives on my birthday. Wow, memories. Still adore my olives ;-). Gorgeous looking lunch dip MJ.

• mj April 10, 2013 at 8:42 pm #

Thanks so much Kelly! As you have probaby figured out – I love dips! :) Actually, drinking olive brine doesn’t surprise me. I use to drink pickle juice and like you, right out of the pickle jar. It drove my mom nuts. That’s pretty cool that you would get a jar of olives for your birthday. You were serious! :)

4. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies April 9, 2013 at 12:27 pm #

I’m pretty obsessed with cheese, but that is one cheese I have never heard of before! I’m going to have to try to find it though, because this recipe sounds delicious!

• mj April 10, 2013 at 8:38 pm #

Thanks Kiersten! I believe that any fresh goat cheese would work, but this one is really, really good. :)

5. Swathi April 9, 2013 at 8:29 am #

This is ultimate cheese spread MJ, my baby likes red bell pepper a lot.

6. Treat and Trick April 9, 2013 at 5:46 am #

What a perfect combo! I love the addition of nuts in it…

7. Carolyn Jung April 8, 2013 at 9:43 pm #

Sounds addicting. But then again, I can never get enough of anything cheesy. ;)

8. Liz April 8, 2013 at 7:30 pm #

My mouth just started watering reading the description of this spread! Perfect on the bagel slices!! I could eat this for my lunch for a week!!!

• mj April 10, 2013 at 8:37 pm #

Thanks Liz! The bagel chips are actually my favorite for this spread!

9. LinsFood April 8, 2013 at 2:27 pm #

I’m always looking for new ideas for spreads & dips & this looks great. I love that you always have notes at the end, giving us tips on what you’ve used. it’s so helpful!

• mj April 8, 2013 at 7:35 pm #

Thanks Lin! One can never have enough recipes for appetizers. :) I’m glad you benefit from my Kitchen Notes. Being one that never follows a recipe and seldom makes a recipe the same twice in a row, I always have alternatives ways of doing things.

10. Karen (Back Road Journal) April 8, 2013 at 10:06 am #

MJ, your cheese spread sounds terrific. It sounds like a fancy Spanish version of southern pimento cheese. :)

11. Nami | Just One Cookbook April 8, 2013 at 9:52 am #

I don’t know how to express my love of roasted bell peppers. I especially enjoy it in sandwiches, but never had it in spread. This make me very excited. I somehow cannot digest bell peppers well (hereditary, don’t know why!), but occasionally I cannot help skipping them and enjoy…and deal with heartburn afterwards. I’m saving this recipe for a special occasion. I know this is REALLY delicious!!

• mj April 8, 2013 at 7:45 pm #

Bummer! I would hate not being able to eat bell peppers. I use to be that way with avocados for about 25 years, then one day it just ended and now I can eat all of the avocados I want. Hopefully it will change for you as well so that you can enjoy wonderful little dishes like this with roasted bells. Thanks for your sweet comment as always!

12. Sandra's Easy Cooking April 8, 2013 at 9:05 am #

This looks amazing, MJ! What a delicious spread…have to try this soon since I love both very much! Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful week ahead!

• mj April 8, 2013 at 7:45 pm #

Thanks Sandra! I hope you have a great week as well.

13. Asmita April 8, 2013 at 6:19 am #

This sounds like such a wonderful spread. I have never tried this kind of cheese and will have to see if I can find it whole foods. Cannot wait to try it for my next party!

• mj April 8, 2013 at 7:46 pm #

Thanks Asmita! I was able to find it at Whole Foods here, so hopefully you can as well. It really makes this dip.

14. Gourmantine April 8, 2013 at 5:57 am #

Hi MJ, this is a fabulous dip. I’m thinking this would make a smashing snack when having a crowd over or just all to myself :)

• mj April 8, 2013 at 7:48 pm #

Thanks G! This first time I made this, Bobby was out of town, so I had it all to myself. :)

15. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef April 8, 2013 at 5:08 am #

I have never tasted that cheese before but I have a go-to roasted pepper dip I love. I’m going to search the cheese shops in Brisbane and see if I have any luck in trying this. It looks amazing!

• mj April 8, 2013 at 7:50 pm #

Thanks so much Maureen! I hope you share your go-to roasted pepper dip. One can never have too many dip recipes. :)

16. Giulietta | Alterkitchen April 8, 2013 at 3:31 am #

Ohhhhh, I love dips! Unfortunately I do have some problems with bell peppers!
    But I’d love to give this a try!
    Have a great week

• mj April 8, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

Thanks Giulia! Sorry to read that you have problems with bell peppers. Nami mentioned the same thing. I hope that some day the problem goes away. There are so many good recipes that you’re missing. :)

17. Raymund April 8, 2013 at 3:01 am #

This would go well with rice crackers as well. Yum!

18. ChgoJohn April 7, 2013 at 10:09 pm #

This sounds like a great spread, MJ, and I appreciate your suggestion for adding olive brine. In fact, i like that all of your recipes are followed by similar helpful tips, allowing us to benefit from your experience. Thanks for taking the time to do so!

19. Angie@Angie's Recipes April 7, 2013 at 10:02 pm #

I must look out for the Spa.nish goat cheese to try. The dip looks really creamy and great. Love the use of smoked paprika here.

20. Javelin Warrior April 7, 2013 at 4:04 pm #

This looks so amazing, MJ. And I have an approximate idea of how good it would be because I just made a roasted red pepper dip recipe from Chung-Ah’s Damn Delicious blog which was very tasty. I love your addition of smoked paprika and almonds – and next time I’m definitely drying the peppers before using because the sauce was the tiniest bit runny when I made it… Anyway, YUM!

• mj April 8, 2013 at 12:01 am #

Thanks Mark! I need to go check out Chung-ah’s recipe. I missed it. Yep – you really do need to dry the peppers. I made the mistake of not drying them once myself. It just doesn’t work. I hope you enjoy!

21. Debra April 7, 2013 at 3:54 pm #

Sounds delicious. We have the same problem on the weekends—we usually eat a big, late breakfast and really only need a snack for lunch. This is the ticket!

• mj April 7, 2013 at 11:57 pm #

Thanks Debra! Sounds just like our weekends!

22. Choc Chip Uru April 7, 2013 at 3:47 pm #

This spread is so spoonable my friend, it sounds delicious :)

Choc Chip Uru

23. Reese@SeasonwithSpice April 7, 2013 at 2:35 pm #

Hi MJ – I just got back from my mon-in-law family women’s weekend. We were talking about roasted bell peppers and how to use it in dishes. You just gave me another great one to share with all the ladies! Since it’s not a spicy one, it will go really well for the family’s party! Can’t wait to share this!

• mj April 7, 2013 at 11:56 pm #

Thanks Reese! Sounds like a fun weekend. Based on the conversation it sounds like your in-laws are foodies like you. :). Well, please share and I hope you all like it.

24. Ramona April 7, 2013 at 1:54 pm #

I could eat that with just my finger. :) It looks like a fabulous cheese spread. :) Hope you are having a wonderful weekend. :)

25. Sissi April 7, 2013 at 10:53 am #

MJ, this is one of these recipes I don’t even have to taste or smell. I simply know this spread is delicious. As a big fan of goat cheese, I always have it in the fridge and love spreading it on crunchy bread (I have just googled the photos of your cheese and it looks roughly like fresh goat cheese, am I right?). Roasted peppers are of course a great company for goat cheese. Actually your spread looks like a deconstructed Spanish snack I once had: roasted, small long peppers filled with fresh cheese.
    It’s the first time I see anyone using olive brine and it sounds so exciting! My husband drinks olive brine so he will be delighted to discover it in this spread.
    You know my love for fiery food, so I don’t have to mention how impatient I am to see the spread with a kick ;-)

• mj April 7, 2013 at 11:53 pm #

Thanks Sissi! I am not sure if the cheese is consider “fresh” or not, but it sure taste fresh. It is very smooth and creamy. You can tell your hubby that I use to drink olive brine and pickle brine, so any excuse to use them and I take it.:) I forgot all about the feta stuffed red peppers. It has been years since I’ve had one. Now I want one! I think you are going to love the spicy spread. :)

• Sissi April 12, 2013 at 12:55 am #

I always have problems with food description/type translations into English… I don’t know if it sounds English, but I meant by “fresh” cheese the cheese that hasn’t been matured (no mould, no crust, no temperature treatment after the first stage etc.) because it’s just curdled milk formed into any cheese form at first stage of cheese preparation, of any consistency (it can be thicker or looser like cottage cheese) and is sold at once, without maturing process.
        It’s very easy to make such a cheese at home (though it’s preferable to have raw milk, for better taste results; I did it several times, but never with goat milk… it gives me crazy ideas!).

26. Nisa Homey April 7, 2013 at 9:38 am #

Looks delish and cheesy….great idea MJ.

27. john@kitchenriffs April 7, 2013 at 9:33 am #

I really like the olive brine in this – great idea. And this does look like it has a nice, mild flavor. I know many people prefer that (including too many of our friends!) but I’m eagerly waiting to see your spicier spread. ;-)

• mj April 7, 2013 at 11:48 pm #

Thanks John ! The olive brine was a last minute thought and it worked.

28. Rita Bose April 7, 2013 at 9:14 am #

Looks so cheesy and delicious!! :)

29. Tessa April 7, 2013 at 9:13 am #

Looks delicious! I will look for the capricho de cabra cheese next time I am out and about… I have not noticed it before. I look forward to trying it.

• mj April 7, 2013 at 11:46 pm #

Thanks Tessa! It is a great cheese so I hope you find it.

30. Jane April 7, 2013 at 8:55 am #

That does sound so good! I have never heard of capricho de cabra, but I will have to look for it! Lunch for me is usually left overs, so a salad if we don’t have any leftovers. I am a big snacky type person though, so this would be perfect!

• mj April 7, 2013 at 11:46 pm #

Thanks Jane! I hope you can find the cheese. As much as you love cheese, I know you’ll love it.

1. Green Chile Pecan Cheese Spread | MJ's Kitchen - April 11, 2013

[...] you enjoyed the Roasted Bell Pepper Cheese Spread from a few days ago but wanted something with more of a kick, you’re going to love this Green [...]