Mixed Berry Jam – Quick and Easy

A spoonful of Mixed Berry Jam

When it comes to making jam, the days of torturing my feet with a 12 hour day processing the fruit and making 20 jars of the same jam are over.  Now I make jam one jar at a time and as needed or whenever I have a little excess fruit that needs to use before it becomes compost material.  Because we eat a lot of berries, we almost always have a jar of Mixed Berry Jam in the refrigerator.

This recipe for the perfect jar of Mixed Berry Jam is one I’ve been working on since last spring.  I’ve been looking for the ratio of fruits that yielded the flavor of “mixed berries”.  What I mean by that is one of my earlier batches tasted like blueberry jam with a hint of other berries.  Another batch, with matching amounts of blueberries and raspberries, tasted like raspberry jam.  The recipe I’m sharing with today isn’t dominated by any individual flavor. You’ll be able to taste “hints” of each berry used – a little blueberry, a little raspberry and a little blackberry.  If you don’t have blackberries, you can substitute strawberries with the same mixed berry jam result.  Both versions are delicious!

Bowl of raspberries, blueberries and blackberries

JamBerriesVert_Web

For this recipe, the ripeness of the fruit doesn’t affect the outcome. (As fruit ripens, its natural pectin content drops.) I’ve used underripe and overripe berries in this recipe with the same results.  This is probably due to the fact that berries are not naturally high in pectin to begin with so the level of ripeness has a negligible effect on the pectin level. However, with a little help from a tablespoon of lemon juice and enough sugar, you can still make a jar of jam without adding pectin.  I have found that in most fruit jams, a 2:1 ratio of fruit to sugar (by weight) is perfect.

Strawberry or blackberry – It doesn’t matter.  Bobby and I did a taste test with a batch made with strawberries and one made with blackberries and both batches were delicious. In one batch there was a “hint” of strawberries and in the other, a hint of “blackberries”. The one with the blackberries did have whole blackberries in them which made it a little more difficult to spread the jam on a piece of toast.  However, since I love biting into a piece of fruit in a jam it didn’t bother me that the blackberries stayed whole. All of the other fruits cooked down so it was not as easy to distinguish between blueberries and raspberries.

I’ve never made this jam with all four berries, probably because I’ve never had all four at the same time. But no one should limit themselves to just these berries. I would love to have access to boysenberries, Marionberries or dewberries so I could be jamming with them as well. Just pick a blend using the berries available in your area and have fun!

In addition to this Mixed Berry Jam, I also have a couple of other jams you might like as well as a watermelon rind preserve:

Apricot Jam
Strawberry Jam
Watermelon Rind Candies

This Mixed Berry Jam recipe has been shared with Melt In Your Mouth Monday, Hearth and Soul , Carole’s Food on Friday, My Meatless MondaysRecipe Sharing Monday, Clever Chicks Blog Hop  .

Hearth & Soul Hop

Tags: , , ,

69 Responses to “Mixed Berry Jam – Quick and Easy”

1. Ellen Goulart February 28, 2014 at 8:22 am #

I could not find a mince pie one year around Thanksgiving, so created a pie made with apples, cranberries, ,raspberries, blackberries, and a smidge of orange rind all cooked down together with sugar and made a two crust pie… it was wonderful… I called it my Holiday Harvest pie

2. Praveen Kumar September 6, 2013 at 3:58 am #

Love this recipe.

3. Swathi May 14, 2013 at 1:28 pm #

Delicious mixed berry Jam MJ, I need to make this. My daughter will love this.

4. Allen @ Cook! Bake! Share! May 14, 2013 at 12:31 am #

We eat a lot of berries, too. Thank you for sharing this recipe – I have always wanted to try making jams or jellies but have been too intimidated by the process. I can’ t wait to try this in both strawberry and blackberry. Allen.

5. Judy @Savoring Today May 13, 2013 at 8:20 am #

Great recipe, thanks for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

6. Reese@SeasonwithSpice May 7, 2013 at 10:12 am #

How nice is that to always have a jar of homemade jam in the fridge! Your mixed berry jam has such gorgeous color, MJ! My mom used to spoil us by making tropical jams for us. Right now, I can only dream that she would courier her homemade jams over since I will never have the time to make jam myself. You got me tempted with jam-making though. May be I can squeeze in some time to make a jar on a rainy summer weekend…Or rather, wish that Mark’s mom would make a jar for us:)

• mj May 7, 2013 at 8:32 pm #

Thanks so much Reese! Yes, my mother use to spoil us as well. She ALWAYS had lots of jams, jellies and preserves when we were growing up and even after I got married. We loved visiting and raiding the pantry. Of course, she, like all moms, loved it! Oh Reese – this jam takes no time at all! You can have a jar in 30 minutes. I usually make mine after supper before going to bed. Hope you try it. I think you’ll find it fun and rewarding, because it is nice to always have homemade jam in the fridge. :)

7. Swathi May 6, 2013 at 8:05 pm #

Delicious mixed berry jam MJ, I am in love that , wish you can send me one.

8. Laura @ Family Spice May 6, 2013 at 7:56 pm #

Oh how I love jam!!! When my aunt comes to visit she always brings me a jar or two of homemade jam. I love the idea of a mixed berry jam, too. Drooling!

9. Wine in a Jug May 5, 2013 at 5:30 pm #

Hi, MJ! Thanks for this BRILLIANT recipe! I’ve never made jam since the big batches always intimidated the heck out of me. I’ve got a batch of oranges sitting on the counter that need to be used very soon. Could I sub oranges for the berries? Or even for the lemon juice? I see you mentioned the chemical reaction between the citrus and berries to avoid using pectin. I’m afraid to have a big sticky soup on my hands, but berries are quite pricey here as well.

• mj May 5, 2013 at 8:08 pm #

Thanks so much for your comment! Well, you could definitely use orange juice in place of lemon juice with the berries – no problem. As far as substituting the oranges for the berries – that one is tricky. Because of the natural high pectin content of oranges, if you were to follow this recipe as written, yes – you would probably end up with a sticky, stiff jam. However, here’s a suggestion: Remove the rind and the seeds from the oranges and place the pulp in a non-reactive bowl. Try to get about 2 to 3 cups of pulp. Cover the pulp with 1 cup of sugar and let sit overnight. The next day, cook down for about 12 minutes and then test as described in the recipe. Oranges will probably cook down faster than the berries. Test every 2 minutes until done. With oranges I would say to err on the side of undercooking rather than overcooking. I hope this helps. If you try it, please let me know the outcome. Thanks again for stopping by!

• Wine in a Jug May 7, 2013 at 1:21 am #

Thank you so much for your reply! My guess is that a first try at jam is going to be a bit of a mess, which is probably why I’ve never attempted it! I will absolutely take your guidelines to heart (though I might “warm up” with the recipe you posted above to get my sea legs about me!) Again, I really truly greatly appreciate your guidance and the great 30-minute jam– I posted to Pinterest to spread the word! :))

1. An Old Raspberry Vinegar and Sparkling Raspberry Soda | MJ's Kitchen - July 25, 2013

[...] Looking for another way to use raspberries, check out this Mixed Berry Jam. [...]

2. Apricot Jam - When One Jar is All You Need | MJ's Kitchen - May 5, 2013

[...] If you have a few strawberries that need to be used, then you should make a jar of Strawberry Jam or Mixed Berry Jam. [...]

3. Quick and Easy Strawberry Jam Recipe | MJ's Kitchen - May 5, 2013