Green Chile Pecan Cheese Spread

New Mexico Green Chile Cheese Spread with toasted pecans

If you enjoyed the Roasted Bell Pepper Cheese Spread from a few days ago but wanted something with more of a kick, you’re going to love this Green Chile Cheese Spread.  It is as easy to make, if not easier, and it’s just as delicious. So for all of you lovers of spicy foods, this one is for you! No fancy ingredients except for maybe the green chile which may not be available to some of you, but never fear – in the Kitchen Notes I provide some suggestions for alternative chiles.  The cheese is cream cheese so nothing fancy there.

Just like the bell pepper cheese spread this green chile cheese spread can be served with bagel chips, pita chips, or any chips for that matter.  You could also spread it on a flour tortilla, roll the tortilla, and cut into little bite size snacks. Just be sure to refrigerate for an hour before cutting.  It will make the cutting process much easier.  This morning I just spread it on half a bagel and had it for breakfast with a cup of tea.  No matter how you dish it up, you’re going to love it!

New Mexico Green Chile Cheese Spread with toasted pecans and bagel chips

A bowl of New Mexico Green Chile SauceThe chile – Of course I use New Mexico green chile, roasted, peeled and chopped.  I buy it in bulk and freeze it, but most of you will probably be able to find canned green chile (e.g., Hatch or Bueno green chile) in the ethnic aisle at your local grocer or at a Mexican market. If you can’t find New Mexico green chile, then you can substitute with just about any green capsicum pepper that can be roasted, peeled and chopped.  Be sure to remove the seeds before chopping.  Suggestions include poblano and jalapeno.  No matter which chile you use, but sure to taste first so you can control the amount of heat you end up with in this spread.  It you don’t want spicy at all, then use a roasted bell pepper of any color.

The cream cheese – I use the cream cheese spread because it’s soft and easy to work with.  If you can’t find the spread, then use the block type and let it come to room temperature before mixing with the chile.  It will be easier to mix once softened.

The pecans – Do you know that New Mexico, Texas and Georgia produce 75% of all of the pecans grown in the United States?  I didn’t know that until a few years ago.  I always thought Louisiana was a big pecan producer but apparently not.  That piece of misinformation probably came from the fact that I grew up in a house with a very prolific pecan tree and five more trees at my grandmother’s house.  So we always had pecans and never had to buy them.  Even after moving to New Mexico in the 70′s, my mother still kept me supplied with pecans until she moved a few years back and at that time I started buying New Mexico pecans.  So as you can see, I love pecans, and the combination of green chile and toasted pecans is a perfect match!

The lime – If you don’t have lime, you could use lemon, but the lime definitely works best.

The bacon – I made this optional because I didn’t add it until recently when Bobby suggested it.  It turned out pretty darn good!

Make ahead – This spread can easily be made the day before and refrigerated. However, be sure to remove it from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before serving so it can soften.

I hope you enjoy this spicy Green Chile Pecan Cheese Spread!

Click on the link for more recipes with green chile.

This Green Chile Pecan Cheese Spread has been shared with the following blog hops: Michelle’s Tasty Creations .
Photobucket

Tags: , ,

46 Responses to “Green Chile Pecan Cheese Spread”

1. MJ,
    This cheese spread sounds delicious! I love finding new appetizers to try and can’t wait to try this one. I’m featuring you this week on Tasty Creations so stop by to grab a button. Thanks again for always linking up your wonderful recipes. Have a great weekend.
    xoxo,
    Michelle

2. Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb April 19, 2013 at 7:25 am #

Oh boy, you have got something going on in your kitchen MJ. Your Pecan chile cheese spread would be perfect for tonight (watching new episode of Game of thrones :D) but we don’t get pecans here. =( So somebody needs to invent a beamer asap!!

3. Nami | Just One Cookbook April 16, 2013 at 11:30 pm #

Sounds like I’m a problematic eater. After I mentioned in your previous post that i get heart burnt from bell peppers (thanks for your response – I really hope one day I can eat bell peppers as much as I can), now I have to say I am not good with heat (if it’s very spicy). Ahhh! My husband is completely opposite. He goes crazy with spice and his tummy has no issue! So jealous. Both spread look wonderful for parties. I don’t have any good spread recipe. It’s great to keep yours for the BBQ parties!

4. Carolyn Jung April 15, 2013 at 5:57 pm #

I’m toasting my bagel right now. If only I could reach into the screen with knife to swipe some of that heavenly cheesy spread. ;)

5. Nancy/SpicieFoodie April 15, 2013 at 3:12 pm #

Hi MJ! Both of the spread recipes are scrumptious. Immediately I thought they would go well on a bagel — funny you mentioned that too.:) Thanks for sharing and for the alternative tips. Love your photos!

• mj April 15, 2013 at 10:04 pm #

Thanks Nancy! Both go great on a bagel! I had this green chile spread on a bagel for breakfast one morning and it was a spicy way to start the day. Have a great week!

6. Amy Tong April 15, 2013 at 1:05 am #

This Green Chile Pecan Cheese Spread sounds wonderful. What a perfect dip for parties or snacking…with a kick. I love thing a little spicy around here so I know I would enjoy this a lot. :)

7. Swathi April 14, 2013 at 8:44 pm #

Delicious dip, I love these spicy cheese spread Mj.

8. Carole April 14, 2013 at 2:46 pm #

MJ, I would love this…. just as well I’m over the other side of the world or I’d be popping over…. Cheers

• mj April 15, 2013 at 1:34 pm #

Thanks Carole! You know you’re welcome anytime! :)

9. Zsuzsa April 14, 2013 at 9:19 am #

This would LOVE this with roasted red pepper. What a lovely spread Peach Lady! I have to make a note of this for company…

10. Raymund April 14, 2013 at 2:38 am #

I would love this on my rice crackers, hot and cheesy yum!

11. Minnie@thelady8home April 13, 2013 at 9:11 pm #

What a mouthwatering spread!!! Yummm!! You mention green chile and I am sold. Bookmarking.

• mj April 15, 2013 at 1:33 pm #

Thanks Minnie! I’m with you – if it says “green chile” – I’m in. :)

12. Amber @ The Cook's Sister April 13, 2013 at 7:59 pm #

Mmmmm! This spread looks amazing! I’m surprised to see green chiles and pecans in the same dish.

• mj April 15, 2013 at 1:32 pm #

Thanks Amber! Green chile and pecans is actually a very good combination.

13. Reese@SeasonwithSpice April 13, 2013 at 5:29 pm #

This sounds even more dangerous than the roasted pepper spread because I will have a hard time stopping myself from a good spicy dip dish. So I am waiting for next family party to serve both your dips. I know they will be a winner!

• Reese@SeasonwithSpice April 28, 2013 at 8:57 pm #

Hi MJ! Checking in quickly to tell you that my mom-in-law made this for our first spring family dinner tonight…it was SO yummy! She wanted to try the roasted bell pepper next. The weather has FINALLy warmed up over here. People are starting their grills and outdoor eating, until the snow hits again next week…:( Anyways, big thumbs up for this delicious nutty creamy spread! Thank you!

• mj April 29, 2013 at 12:00 am #

Well, this tickles me to death! I’m so glad that your family enjoyed it and that your MIL is looking to making the roasted bell pepper. Give her a hug for me will ya? :) It’s quick little notes and feedback like this that make the time and the effort of a food blog worth it! Snow? I hope you’re kidding! :) Have a great week Darlin and thanks for the comment!

14. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies April 13, 2013 at 4:24 pm #

Oh yes, this spread on a bagel sounds like the perfect breakfast to me!

15. Liz April 13, 2013 at 11:01 am #

This looks SO easy and yummy! It’s time I pick up some Mexican oregano :)

16. The Wimpy Vegetarian April 12, 2013 at 5:35 pm #

I love anything with green chiles, and I know this would be a big hit here at our house. I can’t eat nuts, but it looks like it would be delicious anyway! Pinning!!

• mj April 12, 2013 at 7:39 pm #

Thanks Susan! No problem leaving out the nuts. This dip would be good without them. The green chiles steal the show as always. :)

17. Renee @ Tortillas and Honey April 12, 2013 at 2:58 pm #

Lovely appetizer! The pecans and the green chile are very New Mexico! Cannot wait to give this a try!

• mj April 12, 2013 at 7:38 pm #

Thanks Renee! I hope you enjoy it!

18. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles April 12, 2013 at 2:22 pm #

I’m loving your dip series MJ and you know I’m always open for a kick (or something like that ;-)). The combination of cheese and toasted pecan sounds utterly delicious. I wonder what percentage of the world’s pecan production those southern states account for – very cool! I had no idea.

• mj April 12, 2013 at 7:37 pm #

Thanks Kelly! The information on the pecan production was quite a surprise to me. In this house, toasted pecans can be used in any dish! :)

19. ChgoJohn April 12, 2013 at 1:46 pm #

Both of these spreads sound delicious, MJ, and would be great for a party. With one cool and the other hot, there’d be a little dip for everyone. WIth a little luck, there’ll be some left over so that once the partiers leave, I can grab the bowl, some chips, and relax for a moment before starting the clean-up. :)

• mj April 12, 2013 at 7:34 pm #

Thanks John! I was thinking the same thing about serving them both at a party. However, I doubt there would be any left over. :)

20. Soni April 12, 2013 at 8:02 am #

Love your spreads MJ!!This one also looks so good with the green chile and pecans :) Yumm!!!

21. Debra April 12, 2013 at 3:44 am #

Yes’m! I am going to try this as soon as I am able. Have green chiles in the freezer screaming to be used. Thank you, thank you!

• mj April 12, 2013 at 7:32 pm #

Thanks Debra! Oh how I love reading “I have green chiles in the freezer…”. :) Mine are coming out of the freezer this time of year as well.

22. Giulietta | Alterkitchen April 12, 2013 at 1:47 am #

Your spreads are amazing… always! And I love this one even more than the latter :)

• mj April 12, 2013 at 7:31 pm #

Thanks Giulia! Well, since I love spicy, this one is my favorite, but Bobby like the roasted bell pepper better. I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to serve either of them to my friends.

23. Sissi April 12, 2013 at 12:47 am #

This one is definitely for me! I won’t find the fresh Mexican chile probably, but as you suggest, I might substitute it with other fresh chili types, maybe the medium hot ones sold at Turkish market stalls in my city…
    The idea to include pecan nuts sounds both intriguing and appetising to me (I never buy pecan nuts, I know they are available here, but I have always preferred walnuts in sweets instead; now I must test them in this savoury spread). Thank you for the wonderful idea!

• mj April 12, 2013 at 7:30 pm #

Thanks Sissi! So do you know what the names of the chiles are that are sold at your market? I’m trying to put a page together on chiles and it’s hard to know what is sold where, especially in your part of the world.
      I love pecans and have always used them in many of my dishes. Bobby isn’t a big fan of walnuts so I don’t use them quite as much. I think pecans go best in this spread so if you can find them, you’ll love it.

• Sissi April 14, 2013 at 3:44 am #

MJ, the medium hot (or rather mildly hot, I would say…) variety I buy from Turkish stalls is called “aci sivri”, but maybe there is an English name of this variety too? The chiles are bright green, 1 inch thick and long.
        Here is the way it looks just before pickling http://www.withaglass.com/?p=6389. It’s mildly hot. I have it as a pickled side-dish (the way I would have pickled cucumber).

24. Tessa April 11, 2013 at 9:19 pm #

Green chiles and cream cheese… A perfect pair of ingredients! Looks delicious MJ!

25. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef April 11, 2013 at 7:40 pm #

I love those photos! The cheese spread would make me very happy today.

26. Karen (Back Road Journal) April 11, 2013 at 4:54 pm #

I love the idea of this dip with its green chilies and pecans!

27. Kadri April 11, 2013 at 3:56 pm #

wow. I love spicy food and it looks so yum but finding the green chili on swiss countryside will be probably difficult :P

• mj April 12, 2013 at 7:24 pm #

Thanks Kadri! Yes – I would have to agree with you. Well, just substitute any capsicum pepper that has a thick enough flesh to be roasted. Not sure what you have over there, but if you get a chance, please let me know what peppers in your area might work for this.

28. Ramona April 11, 2013 at 1:59 pm #

More yummy goodness….. just hand me a cracker, slice of toast, carrot stick….. or if you’re not watching, I may stick my finger in it. :)

29. Angie@Angie's Recipes April 11, 2013 at 12:20 pm #

I am all about the CHEESE! This is a delicious spread, MJ.

30. john@kitchenriffs April 11, 2013 at 11:36 am #

Great spread! I love spicy and love New Mexico chilies so this has my name on it! Wonderful flavor. I knew Texas and Georgia grew lots of pecans, but didn’t know about New Mexico – I love all the stuff I learn reading blogs! Really nice recipe & post – thanks.

• mj April 12, 2013 at 7:22 pm #

Thanks John! I’m glad I could teach you something you didn’t know! I’ve learned a lot from your blog as well. I, too, was surprised to see New Mexico in the top 3 pecan productions. Learn something new everyday!