Meyer Lemon Sherbet and an Assortment of Meyer Lemon Recipes

A bowl of meyer lemon sherbet

The co-op had some beautiful Meyer lemons the other day and I couldn’t resist buying a few, especially since I had never bought them before. I never knew what to do with them thus I never bought them. Now I know!  I used one of the lemons in place of preserved lemons in my Capellini with lemon, garlic and egg pasta dish. It was very good, better than regular lemons but not as good as using preserved lemons.  So what do I do with the other lemons?  The weather helped me answer that question.  We have finally warmed up to near record highs and the spring winds have started to blow; therefore, something cool and refreshing sounded good, thus – a Meyer Lemon Sherbet.

I’ve made lemon sherbet before, but this one, I have to say was quite different.  To make sure that I wasn’t just imagining such a significant difference, I made another sherbet using the same recipe but with regular lemons. Nope – it was not my imagination. The lemon sherbet was VERY tart and lemony, and definitely needed more sugar or a sweet topping to help relax the mouth from the pucker spasm it went into with every bite.  However, the Meyer lemon sherbet had the right balance of sweetness and tartness, and the flavor – more fruity and tropical than citrusy and tart.  It was SOOOO good!

The huge difference in flavor between Meyer lemon and regular lemon really got me curious so I did a little research and what I found out was that the Meyer is more than a lemon. The Meyer lemon is thought to be a hybrid that was developed in China and is a cross between a lemon and a mandarin or some other type of orange.  I can believe that. It definitely has the sweetness of an orange mixed in with the tanginess of a lemon. I will definitely be buying more!

If you are as curious as I was to know what else you can do with Meyer lemons, then you need to check out the list of Meyer lemon recipes at the end of this post. I went on a quest and found some great recipes I want to try. Once you see them, I’m sure you’ll want to try them as well.

Meyer lemon sherbet mjskitchen.com

Meyer lemon sherbet mjskitchen.com

Sorbet vs. sherbet vs. ice cream – Normally, I make sorbet because it’s lower in calories and has no dairy, not that I can’t eat dairy, I just try to minimize it. Sorbets are primary fruit juice/puree’ and a sweetener. Sherbets are fruit juice/puree’ and some milk. Typically, sherbets have a lower percent of butterfat than ice cream – less than 3% vs. up to 15%, respectively.

Milk and Meyer lemon juice – I used a ratio of 4 to 1, 2% milk to lemon juice. This ratio was just right for 1/3 cup sugar; however, if you decide to change the ratio to say – 3 to 2, then I would suggest increasing the sugar to at least 1/2 cup.

Meyer Lemon juice vs. regular lemon juice - You can use regular lemons in this recipe; however, you should definitely increase the sugar to at least 1/2 cup unless you like a really, really tart sherbet.

Agar – Agar is a gelling agent derived from red algae and is sometimes used in place of gelatin. I added 1/4 teaspoon to help create a little creamier texture and it worked. Having made this with and without it, the sherbet with the agar was indeed a little creamier. Be careful not to add too much agar because your mixture could set overnight in the fridge and you would have a pudding the next day when you go to churn.

Ten recipes with Meyer lemon that caught my eye:

Savory dishes

Meyer Lemon Chicken @The Unorthodox Epicure

Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta @Juanita’s Cocina

Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta with Homemade Ricotta and Broccoli @The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen

Sweet Treats

Meyer Lemon Pound Cake @Just One Cookbook

Meyer Lemon Parfaits @Cravings of a Lunatic

Raspberry Madeleines with Meyer Lemon Curd @From My Sweet Heart

Meyer Lemon Curd @The Galley Gourmet

Meyer Lemon Ricotta Cookies @A Culinary Journey with Chef Dennis

The drinks to enjoy them all with

Meyer Lemon Margarita @The Wicked Noodle

Meyer Lemon Cocktail @Las Vegas Food Adventures
This Meyer Lemon Sherbet post was linked to the following blog hops: Hearth and Soul and  featured on

Tags: , ,

72 Responses to “Meyer Lemon Sherbet and an Assortment of Meyer Lemon Recipes”

1. Bonita January 6, 2014 at 6:24 pm #

Hey there! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would
    be okay. I’m definitely enjoying your blog and look forward to new updates.

2. Amber @ The Cook's Sister April 14, 2013 at 8:22 am #

What a refreshing sherbet recipe! Saving this for the first sign of spring around here…

3. Swathi April 2, 2013 at 12:32 pm #

Delicious sherbet, It is hard for me to finish one bowl I need more bowl of treat yumm.
    Thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul blog Hop.

4. April @ The 21st Century Housewife April 1, 2013 at 3:58 pm #

Your sherbet looks absolutely delicious. I was interested to learn about Meyer lemons being a hybrid variety of lemon, I didn’t realise that. Also thank you for sharing the links to the other Meyer lemon recipes. We don’t get Meyer lemons in the UK yet, but I’m hopeful that we will soon :)

5. Amanda@ChewTown April 1, 2013 at 2:34 am #

I love the sound of this lemon sherbet! It looks fabulous! I’ll definitely be trying this one soon.

6. Kim Beaulieu March 28, 2013 at 9:20 pm #

This is fabulous. I love meyer lemons. I have 3 bags on the go right now.

I’m doing a meyer lemon week. Would love to include you in the round up.

• mj March 29, 2013 at 1:47 pm #

Thanks Kim!!! I’d love for you to return the favor and include me in your round up! Thanks!

7. Food Jaunts March 26, 2013 at 10:24 am #

Meyer lemons have finally shown up at my market and I keep eyeing them but I’m not quite sure what to do with them. Thanks for all the resources! The sherbet looks delicious, I love all those little yellow flecks.

8. Sissi March 23, 2013 at 12:28 pm #

MJ, we live so far but seem to have the same desserts ideas at the same time: I also crave light refreshing tangy desserts now, even though it’s only spring, not summer heat yet! Anyway, your sherbet looks gorgeous. I love the way it contrasts with the black bowl. Very dramatic (I must remember this since I have many black bowls).
    Meyer lemons are probably the only fruit I envy when I read US blogs. They sound like a fruit which would become my staple… I hope I will be able to taste them one day.
    By the way, I have always thought that sherbet=French sorbet (i.e. sugar and fruits, without dairy). One lives and learns…

• mj March 25, 2013 at 10:01 am #

Thanks Sissi for ALL of your great comments! Like you, I do like huge contrasts! :) I too hope that some day you get to taste a Meyer. I’m sure you could order them on-line somewhere. You can order pretty much anything on line nowadays. It’s fun teaching each other new things, isn’t it? I’ve learned a lot from you my friend!

9. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com March 23, 2013 at 12:29 am #

Love meyer lemons and sherbet! So springy!

10. Mary Hartley March 22, 2013 at 8:39 pm #

Hi MJ! I am so happy I ate only one of my Meyers today (yes the whole thing, all by itself !). I’ll try the sherbet tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe! Happy spring! Mary

• mj March 25, 2013 at 9:58 am #

Mary – it always makes my day when I hear from you! I need to try eating a meyer like an orange. I would gain a whole new appreciation for them I’m sure. Thanks for the comment and hope you and Mark enjoy the sherbet!

11. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles March 22, 2013 at 12:23 pm #

MJ, your lemon sherbet looks heavenly. It reminds me of spring and sweet summer days – light, love, and levity… amazing how evocative food can be! I like when I can make an ice cream or sherbet without the need for special equipment too. Interesting how different the flavour is between the regular lemons and meyer. I do love tart lemon desserts but it sounds like the prior recipe was over the top tart – yours does not strike me as excessive in the sugar department – just right. I have to give your meyer version a try. By the way, love the snap of the melting sherbet…gorgeous!

• mj March 25, 2013 at 9:57 am #

Thanks Kelly! Yes, the real lemons were a bit tart with only 1/3 cup sugar, but 1/2 cup should work. I was quite surprised as to the difference between the flavors of the two types of lemons. Some people apparently eat meyers like oranges. I might have to try that. :) It’s amazing how the last shot you take of the day when the ice cream has melted, the food has gotten cold – turns out to be one of your best. :)

12. Treat and Trick March 22, 2013 at 11:24 am #

You’re genius to come with this low cal treat! Bookmarked….

13. Reem | Simply Reem March 22, 2013 at 9:37 am #

Beautiful Sherbet…
    I am seeing so many meyer lemons recipes … this looks fabulous..
    I have to get meyer lemons soon… My hubby will love this.

14. Nisa Homey March 21, 2013 at 9:55 pm #

Sigh :( no meyer lemons in this part of the world…..MJ the last pic on the scoop is soooo tempting…..it is so hot here that I wish I could have this to cool me down….

1. Meyer Lemon Recipe Round-Up | Cravings of a Lunatic - April 21, 2013