Homemade Mexican Chorizo Sausage

Mexican Chorizo @MJsKitchen mjskitchen.com

Let’s make some Mexican Chorizo, one of my favorite sausages.  Making my own sausage is something I’ve always wanted to do, but after seeing the process of grinding, stuffing, curing or smoking, I decided to take the easy way out and choose a sausage that doesn’t need any of that. Mexican Chorizo can be made with ground pork bought from your local market, and herbs and spices found in any well-stocked spice cabinet. Because it’s normally used as a bulk sausage, no casing is needed.  I do like to let mine sit in the refrigerator for 1 to 3 days in order to let the seasoning meld with the meat before using it, but that’s not really necessary.  You can use it right away, the next day, 3 days later, or freeze it for another time.

Homemade Mexican Chorizo @MJsKitchen mjskitchen.com

This recipe was inspired by many sausage recipes that I reviewed to get an idea of what goes into making a good sausage, specifically chorizo.  I do not claim that is a classic chorizo recipe, but, after going through several combinations of spices and proportions, this is the one we liked the best.

Keep in mind that this is “Mexican” chorizo. “Spanish” chorizo is a completely different type of sausage and the two are usually not interchangeable in recipes.

The pork – As with hamburger meat, you can buy ground pork with different fat content. I like using a more fatty sausage, between 20% to 30%, to ensure a juicer end product. Too little fat and your sausage would cook up dry.  If you want the challenge, you could always buy a pork shoulder (an ideal cut for sausage), and grind your own meat. That’s more time consuming and, then you have to clean the grinder.

Pork substitutions – If you don’t want to use pork, you could substitute ground turkey and/or chicken. I would suggest using dark meat or at least using mostly dark meat.  Too much light or white meat could lead to a dry sausage.  You could also add a tablespoon or two of oil or butter to add some fat to the mixture.  As with any sausage, the lower the fat content, the drier the outcome.

The chile powders – The most important thing about the chile powders is that you use ground chilE powder, not a chilI powder blend. The blend usually has red pepper, salt, garlic and many, many other ingredients. This recipe uses four different chile powders – New Mexico red chile, cayenne, aleppo, and paprika.  I use this blend because that’s what I have in my pantry, but most importantly – I like it. The NM chile powder adds a flavor that I love, the cayenne adds the heat, and the paprika and Aleppo add depth.

The vinegar – There are a variety of vinegars used in making chorizo. I found recipes with red wine vinegar, white wine, just white vinegar, and cider vinegar.  Some recipes also added or substituted the vinegar with an alcohol such as tequila, sherry or wine.  The 2 – 3 tsp. of vinegar is due to personal preferences in my house. Bobby prefers the sausage with just 2 tsp. and I prefer it with 3 tsp. :)

Making a bigger batch – There have been a few times when I bit the bullet and bought 3 pounds of ground pork and made a  larger batch.  When making a 3 pounds batch, I triple everything BUT the salt, hot chile powder, cumin/coriander mix, and vinegar.  Below are the amounts for a 3 pounds batch.

• 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. hot chile powder (½ tsp. cayenne and ½ tsp. chipotle)
  • 1 tsp. cumin/coriander mix
  • 2 Tbsp. vinegar

So as you can see, you can adjust the seasoning to meet your personal tastes. You should also be able to see how EASY it is to make chorizo.  Bet you can wait to give it a try!

Recipes that use Mexican chorizo:

Chorizo sausage patties (shown above) with scrambled eggs and toast.

Combine equal amounts of chorizo with ground beef or turkey for a delicious burger.

Asparagus, Chorizo and Soft-Boiled Egg

Bean and Rice with Sausage

Christmas Breakfast – Red and Green

Sausage and Egg Tostada

Shepherd’s Pie, New Mexico Style

Suppertime Pileup

This recipe for Homemade Mexican Chorizo has been shared with the following blog hops: Hearth and Soul, Fat Tuesday, Katherine Martinelli’s Cinco de Mayo Hop  .

Tags: , , ,

85 Responses to “Homemade Mexican Chorizo Sausage”

1. A_Boleyn June 9, 2014 at 3:46 pm #

I’ve come to your blog via your Frigg post of Beef and Chorizo Enchiladas. I was very happy to see your link back to this chorizo recipe and came to check out how it compares to the one I use.

I’ve only made it once (doubled the recipe and it takes a long time for a single person to use up) and love it. I’ll definitely have to make it again.

• mj June 10, 2014 at 8:42 pm #

Thanks Ann! Nice to see you! Looks like our chorizo recipes are pretty similar. I’ll be trying yours next time. Thanks!

2. Karin September 23, 2013 at 4:35 pm #

I just made this to go into a breakfast casserole. It’s in the oven baking now – smells great!

• mj September 23, 2013 at 8:41 pm #

Karin, thanks so much for you comment! So glad you made this chorizo. I hope the casserole turned out as good as it smelled. :) Please let me know how it turned out!

3. Lesley April 19, 2013 at 10:43 am #

Good morning MJ,

I’m so glad I found this recipe, my family LOVED it!

I gave my husband a meat grinder for Christmas and he’s been experimenting with sausage making and some plain old home ground meat.

I used some of his ground pork for this and just cooked it with onions, home fried potatoes then added eggs on top. Kind of a Mexican hash?

I’m very health concious and prefer to make my food from scratch, right down to my own corn and flour tortillas, so this was perfect.

I often find myself at a loss for new things to cook so I’m very much looking forward to more recipes from you!

• mj April 19, 2013 at 3:16 pm #

Thanks so much for you comment Lesley! It’s always good to hear that someone has made one of my recipes and liked it! You made my day! I love the dish you call a Mexican hash! I bet it was great with the Chorizo. We have something we make similar here in New Mexico called a “pileup”. I was actually planning on posting it here soon. Sounds like your husband is having fun with his Christmas present and that you are getting to enjoy the benefits. :) Thanks again for your lovely comments and have a wonderful weekend!

4. Swathi April 9, 2013 at 8:27 am #

Delicious I love this delicious meals. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul blog Hop.

5. Judy @Savoring Today April 7, 2013 at 8:20 am #

This is a great recipe, MJ, thanks for sharing it on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

6. April @ The 21st Century Housewife April 4, 2013 at 7:41 am #

My late Mom used to make sausage patties, and they were one of my favourites. She didn’t spice them like this though – I love all the wonderful flavours you have used! I think it’s great to make the chorizo sausage blend yourself; it’s the perfect way to make the flavours just right.

7. Terra March 19, 2013 at 9:52 pm #

I am in love!!!! I love love chorizo. The fact that I could make homemade would be so awesome!! It looks fantastic! Hugs, Terra

8. Food Jaunts March 18, 2013 at 7:50 am #

MJ this is awesome! My husband is a chorizo fanatic (and this is the guy who told me that he didn’t like sausage when we first got together). I’m definitely making this to keep frozen on hand rather than worrying about needing to buy a giant portion every time I want a bit. THANK YOU!

9. cooking rookie March 14, 2013 at 9:19 pm #

All I can say is Yumm! They look amazing! And I think I might even grind my own meat now that I bought the kitchen aid attachment :-)

10. Nami | Just One Cookbook March 14, 2013 at 11:00 am #

Homemade! And you made it so easy, MJ! I like that you can actually freeze some portion for later use. That I never thought before. When freezing, do you think flavor will go into meat more? Or once frozen probably it doesn’t matter. I love this homemade Chorizo. I’m pinning but new pinterest doesn’t allow tagging you…

• mj March 15, 2013 at 10:52 am #

thanks Nami! I can actually answer your question because this morning, I pulled some chorizo from the freezer and cooked it up with some eggs. I really don’t think that the meat became more enhanced. The flavor and the “heat” were pretty much the same as it was when it went into the freezer. I hope you get a chance to make it. I know you don’t like spicy, but you can control that by cutting back or even eliminating the cayenne. Hope you like it!

11. Treat and Trick March 13, 2013 at 9:28 pm #

I always love homemade sausage, not only healthier but we can add whatever spices to it tailored to our preference…

12. Nancy/SpicieFoodie March 13, 2013 at 6:57 pm #

Bravi MJ for making your own chorizo and it looks so good. We can’t buy it here so I’ve been making my own for years. Now you’ve got me craving some so I better get on it tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!

• mj March 13, 2013 at 9:13 pm #

Thank you so much Nancy! I’m sure your recipe is the real thing. :) I agree, that it’s a real craving!

13. peachy @ The Peach Kitchen March 13, 2013 at 4:58 pm #

WOW! This looks easy enough to make and highly delicious!

14. Kate@Diethood March 13, 2013 at 3:45 pm #

My parents make their own, homemade sausages every winter. The process is forever, but the results are freakin’ amazing!! :)
    I should print out your recipe and show them the easier way of making sausages!! :)

• mj March 13, 2013 at 9:09 pm #

That’s cute Kate! You should make it for them and tell them how much time you spent making it. :)

15. Dipti Joshi March 13, 2013 at 11:21 am #

The patties look mouthwatering. Will try them soon..

16. Soni March 13, 2013 at 10:06 am #

I love Chorizo but never thought of making my own!!Such lovely flavors and what better than a homemade version!Absolutely brilliant :!

17. Jane March 13, 2013 at 9:58 am #

That is really cool! I make my own sausage sometimes too, but I didn’t know there was a difference between Mexican and Spanish chorizo!

• mj March 13, 2013 at 9:07 pm #

Thanks Jane! Oh yes – there is a huge difference between Mexican and Spanish and they usually are not interchangeable. Spanish chorizo is smoked so you can eat it right out of the package; whereas Mexican chorizo has to be cooked. You really should give it a try. I think you’ll love it!

18. Katerina March 13, 2013 at 4:52 am #

I have never tried making sausage at home! Two thumbs up for these delicious patties!

19. Amy (Savory Moments) March 13, 2013 at 4:27 am #

These sausages are so uniquely spiced and sound really yummy!

20. Gourmantine March 13, 2013 at 4:08 am #

I remember my grandma making sausages, which (as I remember) always seemed to be a very labour intensive process, but perhaps in doesn’t need to be so, great recipe!

• mj March 13, 2013 at 8:20 am #

Thanks G! I can definitely see how painstaking it can be! That’s why I looked for the easy way out. :) This bulk chorizo is SO easy. I’ll never buy chorizo again!

21. Tessa March 12, 2013 at 8:21 pm #

Love this idea! This sausage would be fabulous in breakfast burrito! Thank you MJ!

22. Dara March 12, 2013 at 1:54 pm #

Homemade sausage? You are a genius. Love this recipe, makes it all seem so simple.

23. Liz March 12, 2013 at 9:19 am #

I wouldn’t have the patience for making sausage links either…but bulk is another story. Your chorizo looks amazing, MJ!

24. Sandra's Easy Cooking March 11, 2013 at 6:26 pm #

Wow…MJ, you made it so delicious! i never made before Mexican Chorizo, but seeing your easy instructions I might as well try it.

• mj March 11, 2013 at 7:28 pm #

Thanks Sandra! You’re right – something this easy to make deserves a try. :)

25. Aviva March 11, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

Hi, i don’t use pork sorry but the recipe sounds fantastic. How do you think it would be if i tried ground chicken? I’m sure ground veal would work but hard to come by where i am, i usually use veal in place of pork. Interested in what you think :)

• mj March 11, 2013 at 7:27 pm #

Aviva, Yes – you can use ground turkey or chicken for this recipe. I would probably add 2 Tbsp. of butter or oil for some fat content, otherwise, it might be too dry. Hope this helps.

• Aviva March 12, 2013 at 6:43 pm #

tHANK YOU! I will let you know how it turns out :) Light or dark meat?

• mj March 12, 2013 at 8:41 pm #

Aviva, I would suggest dark meat. It has a higher fat content. You could also use a mix, but I wouldn’t use all light meat – too dry. Please let me know how it turns out and thanks!

26. Biren @ Roti n Rice March 11, 2013 at 3:11 pm #

Love this easy recipe with store bought ingredients. Looks really flavorful and delicious. Perfect in soups too!

27. Lori Who Needs A Cape? March 11, 2013 at 12:01 pm #

Love Chorizo, will definitely be trying this recipe out. Pinning :)

28. Mark March 11, 2013 at 11:16 am #

Lovin’ those spices, MJ! Especially the mix of chili peppers. I’ve always wanted to try making homemade sausage too, but I can never find a free day to do it. One of these days!

Until then, Mexican chorizo is on my list…

• mj March 11, 2013 at 7:23 pm #

Thanks Mark! But hey – you don’t need a day to make this. You only need 15 minutes! I hope you give it a try.

29. Jennie @themessybakerblog March 11, 2013 at 7:33 am #

MJ, you’re a sausage making genius! I love that your recipe doesn’t call for stuffing. Love it!

• mj March 11, 2013 at 9:20 am #

Thanks Jennie! I agree – no grinding, no stuffing – that’s the best part (except for the flavor :) ).

30. My hubby loves italian chorizo, bit different, but delicious as well. Mexican version I could totally make myself. You’ve just made my hubby a happy man :)

• mj March 11, 2013 at 9:19 am #

Thanks Marta! I’m so glad to be able to add to your husband’s happiness. :)

31. Carolyn Jung March 10, 2013 at 6:57 pm #

I can just imagine this in a breakfast burrito. Swoon.

• mj March 11, 2013 at 9:18 am #

Thanks Carolyn! It’s PERFECT in breakfast burritos!

32. Jessica | Cajunlicious March 10, 2013 at 2:24 pm #

Mj, I may never buy chorizo ever again. This looks amazing and my husband loves when I add chorizo to hash-browns.

• mj March 11, 2013 at 9:18 am #

Thanks Jessica! I too love it added to hashbrowns! Just yesterday I made hashbrowns and chorizo and threw in some scrambled eggs. YUM!

33. Nisa Homey March 10, 2013 at 11:00 am #

This is a real cool idea, though I do not have pork, my husband loves pork….I sure he will be delighted if I try this out for him….

• mj March 11, 2013 at 9:17 am #

Thanks Nisa! I hope your hubby enjoys it. :)

34. Adora's Box March 10, 2013 at 10:44 am #

I like the mix that went in there, MJ. It must be so good because it is all natural. I love chorizo and I can imagine how well something like this would go in recipes.

• mj March 11, 2013 at 9:16 am #

Thanks Adora! It DOES go well in a lot of recipes. I use it all of the time!

35. Judy @Savoring Today March 10, 2013 at 10:15 am #

Love this, MJ! I can always find ground pork at the local butcher where I buy free-range meats, but not always delighted with the seasoning of their sausages. You just inspired me to make my own sausage with whatever seasonings I choose! Brilliant! Thanks!

• mj March 11, 2013 at 9:15 am #

Thanks Judy! You are SO right – with a good quality ground pork, you can create your own flavor profile for any sausage. Have fun!

36. Kris March 10, 2013 at 9:53 am #

Mj – I am so excited to read this. Believe it or not, in rural Wisconsin farm country, it is difficult to find chorizo, especially a good one. Trying this recipe soon!

• mj March 11, 2013 at 9:14 am #

Thanks Kris! Actually I do believe you! One of the reasons I posted this is because I have received a lot of feedback that chorizo is hard to find outside of the southwest U.S. Now you can make it at home. :)

37. ChgoJohn March 10, 2013 at 1:32 am #

Thank you so much for this, MJ. I make my own sausage and, though I grind the pork, like you I make patties instead of links. (I’ve even convinced my Zia to try it and she, too, no longer stuffs links.) Patties are just so much easier to freeze and use. It’s really a convenience issue.
    I cannot wait to try your chorizo recipe. I’ve got some pork shoulder in my freezer that is now ear-marked for chorizo. I bet it will taste far better than anything I can buy and will really liven up whatever dish it’s used in. Again, thanks!

• mj March 10, 2013 at 9:18 am #

Thanks John! See – now you’ve inspired me to go out and buy a small pork shoulder. I say “small” because my grinder is my parent’s old hand-crank grinder and I don’t want to spend my whole day grinding a 5 pound pork shoulder. But I would like to try this recipe that way. It’s just SO easy with ground pork that I tend to take the lazy way out. :)

38. Raymund March 10, 2013 at 12:08 am #

Well done, I got to try this as chorizo is one of my favorite type of sausage

39. Rita Bose March 9, 2013 at 10:19 pm #

These look so delicious!! Drooling over here!!

40. Anne@FromMySweetHeart March 9, 2013 at 8:53 pm #

Wow MJ….while I’m the first to spread the word that home made is always best….I would never have attempted to make my own sausage! This looks absolutely fabulous and pretty easy since there is no fussing with casings and such! You may have just inspired me to try this! : )

• mj March 10, 2013 at 9:15 am #

Thanks Anne! You really need to try this. It’s SO easy!!!! Let me know if you do. Hope you’re having a great weekend.

41. Karen (Back Road Journal) March 9, 2013 at 6:53 pm #

I think your recipe for chorizo sounds very flavorful. I especially like all your notes…very helpful.

42. Charles March 9, 2013 at 5:19 pm #

Wow, what a cool idea. Sausage making is something I really want to get into some day… the whole caboodle with casing and stuffing and all, but I’d totally go for this as well, and heck, it’s easier. Only problem is ground pork isn’t that common here (I wish I was kidding…) – they sell some awful stuff called “sausage meat” which has disgusting spices added, but sadly no plain pork stuff. Some day I’ll get some – I love the sound of the patties – I bet it makes a fantastic brunch!

• mj March 10, 2013 at 9:14 am #

Thanks for your comments Charles! You can’t get ground pork there? Interesting. I wonder what type of meet is in the “sausage meat” not that you would want to buy it to find out. Hopefully you can find some one day and try this or some kind of sausage. I love sausage of any kind. :)

43. john@kitchenriffs March 9, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

I need to do this! I’ve never made sausage of any kind — kinda shocking, I know! I love good Mexican chorzo, and it’s actually not that easy to find in grocery store outside of the southwest. (There’s something called “chorizo” but it’s really not.) I don’t know when I’ll get to this, but get to it I will. Really good stuff — thanks so much.

• mj March 10, 2013 at 9:11 am #

Thanks John! Well, I don’t feel so bad then if even YOU haven’t made sausage before. :) I know you like it spicy, so you and Mrs. KR should really enjoy this.

44. Choc Chip Uru March 9, 2013 at 3:54 pm #

What a delicious looking chorizo sausage my friend it certainly does not look homemade :)

Choc Chip Uru

45. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef March 9, 2013 at 3:18 pm #

I’ve never made chorizo but I’ve had to learn to make good old American breakfast sausage because it’s not available here in Australia. Sometimes a sausage biscuit is the only thing that will do. :)

Now I’m on a mission for chorizo!

• mj March 10, 2013 at 9:09 am #

Thanks Maureen! I hope you get a chance to make this because it’s nothing like the good old American breakfast sausage. It’s got a real kick to it. I think you’d like it.

46. Debra March 9, 2013 at 3:11 pm #

Some store-bought chorizo is sooooo greasy. We can buy some pretty good chorizo at our FM from farmers who rise their own swine. I cannot wait to buy some ground pork from them and try this out. Thank you for sharing this!

• mj March 10, 2013 at 9:08 am #

Thanks Debra! Sounds like you have a great source of good pork like I do! There’s nothing like good quality pork. I hope you do get a chance to make this. I think you’ll love it!

47. Ramona March 9, 2013 at 1:00 pm #

One Word…. YUM!! I love making my own sausage because you know exactly what you have in it. The flavors you have here are spectacular. :) Hope you are having a wonderful weekend. :)

48. Sissi March 9, 2013 at 12:39 pm #

Brilliant idea! I already see it used in so many different dishes: as a filling, as a pork hamburger mixture and of course if someone has the tools and the casings, it could be made into a real sausage! Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe.
    Spanish chorizo is the only one I know and it’s completely different, as you say.

• mj March 10, 2013 at 9:05 am #

Thanks Sissi! Actually, it IS great mixed in with ground beef for burgers and thrown into or on top of soups. It’s good stuff.

49. Angie@Angie's Recipes March 9, 2013 at 11:11 am #

Definitely a must make! The patties look mouwathering, mj.

• mj March 10, 2013 at 9:03 am #

Thanks Angie! I hope you enjoy them.

1. Grilled Portabello Tacos with Red Chile-Yogurt Sauce | MJ's Kitchen - September 21, 2014

[…] the carnivore – Crumble some cooked Mexican chorizo on […]

2. Beans and Rice with Sausage - An Easy One Pot Meal | MJ's Kitchen - March 4, 2014

[…] appropriate for this time of year (being Mardi Gras time and all), but honestly, my preference is Mexican chorizo with […]

3. Southwestern Migas (eggs, green chile and corn tortillas) | MJ's Kitchen - December 9, 2013

[…] Tomatoes Cilantro Avocado Salsa Sour  cream Guacamole Mexican Chorizo […]

4. Green Chile Sweet Potato Hash Browns | MJ's Kitchen - October 22, 2013

[…] Option – Add bacon or Mexican chorizo to the hash […]

5. Sausage with Cabbage and Onions | MJ's Kitchen - October 20, 2013

[…] Sausage – Use your favorite uncooked sausage - Bratwurst, Knackwurst, Italian, Chorizo, whatever you like.  Smoked sausage does not work because, first of all, you want to the capture […]

6. Time to Cook up a Pot of Pinto Beans | MJ's Kitchen - May 26, 2013

[...] chipotle in adobo sauce Red chile sauce or your favorite salsa Bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled Mexican Chorizo, cooked and crumbled Warm flour or corn tortillas (served as a [...]

7. Southwestern Pileup | MJ's Kitchen - May 26, 2013

[...] ½ cups black beans or pinto beans, drained ½ pound Mexican chorizo 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled 1 – 2 cups chopped, cooked meat (chicken, beef or [...]