Mashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic and Herbs

Mashed potatoes with roasted garlic and fresh herbs

I think by now you know how much I love garlic, but you may not know how much I love potatoes. I could eat potatoes almost everyday. I love them mashed, smashed, roasted, au gratin, as hash browns, and in a variety of soups. I guess the only way I don’t like potatoes is as French fries. Those I can take or leave.  This winter organic potatoes have been really cheap, so we’ve been eating a lot of potato dishes. This roasted garlic mashed potato dish is one of our favorites.

It’s a very quick and easy dish for us because I always have a bottle of roasted garlic infused oil in the pantry and jar of roasted garlic in the fridge.  So what better way to use the garlic and some of the oil than in mashed potatoes.  Add some fresh herbs for color and another layer of flavor, and you have yourself a bowl of gourmet mashed potatoes with very little effort.

If you don’t have the garlic oil or roasted garlic on hand, not to worry.  In the Kitchen Notes I explain how to get both in 20 minutes, which is about the time it takes to cook and mash the potatoes. Also, if you aren’t a huge garlic fan, but do like “a little” garlic, this recipe is still for you.  Just cut back on the amount of garlic or replace the garlic-infused oil with extra virgin olive oil or butter.  And if you don’t like garlic at all, just omit it altogether.  The buttermilk and olive oil alone make this a very tasty bowl of mashed potatoes.

Roasted garlic and herb mashed potatoes

Bowl of mashed potatoes with roasted garlic and herbs

The roasted garlic and oil – I really wouldn’t recommend using raw garlic. Way to strong for mashed potatoes. If you don’t have roasted garlic, you can always slow roast garlic on the stove top in some olive oil.

The potatoes – For mashed potatoes, I use yellow or Yukon gold potatoes. I love their texture – soft and creamy.  To mash them, we just use a hand-held potato masher and get perfect results every time. Of course we do like our potatoes more smashed than mashed as some may say.

The buttermilk and milk – Notice that this recipe doesn’t use butter.  The buttermilk adds some buttery flavor and since I use olive oil, there’s no need for additional fat like butter.  If you don’t have buttermilk or don’t have enough, just substitute with milk.

Vegan option – Use a milk substitute like soy or almond milk for the milk and buttermilk.  I have used both before with excellent results.

The fresh herbs – Fresh parsley, thyme, or tarragon are great complements with the garlic. If you have lemon thyme, it too, is excellent. However, I would only use 1 Tbsp. thyme, or 1 ½ tsp. tarragon or 1 ½ tsp. lemon thyme. I’ve seen recipes that use rosemary, but haven’t tried it yet. It does sound good though, so if you try it, let me know how it works.

Leftovers – If you do happen to have any leftovers, I do have a warning for you – the garlic flavor gets more intense!  I actually have been known to make these a day in advance just to take advantage of the enhanced garlic flavor. :)

Whether you use a lot of garlic or no garlic, you’re going to love these simple, tasty, mashed potatoes.

This Roasted Garlic Mashed potato recipe was added to the following blog hops: Katherine Martinelli’s St. Patrick’s Day hop, Made From Scratch Monday, Bizzy’s Recipe Box

Tags: , , , ,

87 Responses to “Mashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic and Herbs”

1. wok with ray March 5, 2013 at 7:30 pm #

I know how you love garlic but I didn’t know about the potatoes. A dozen cloves of garlic. . . I would be in heaven eating your mashed potatoes. To me the more garlic the merrier. . . in my mouth. Haha! Hope you are having a fun week, MJ! :)

• mj March 5, 2013 at 9:35 pm #

Thanks Ray! I think it’s time we have a garlic festival! We know A LOT of garlic lovers! :) Hope you’re having a fun week as well. :)

2. Liz March 5, 2013 at 6:49 pm #

I hardly ever make mashed potatoes….so it’s fun to see the joy on hubby’s face when he comes home to them for dinner! Roasted garlic is an excellent addition…so I’m doing that with my next batch for sure. Bill sends you his thanks :)

• mj March 5, 2013 at 9:34 pm #

And Bill is most welcome! :) Thanks Liz!

3. Carole March 5, 2013 at 6:00 pm #

Hi MJ, I sometimes (well almost always) put a couple of cloves of garlic into the water in which I am cooking the potatoes – and then afterwards I slip the garlic out of its skin and put it into the mash (often with mustard). Hope life is treating you well. Cheers

• mj March 5, 2013 at 9:33 pm #

Carole – what a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

4. Treat and Trick March 5, 2013 at 8:06 am #

Very simple ingredients yet it looks awesome with roasted garlic!

5. Kare @ Kitchen Treaty March 5, 2013 at 7:38 am #

You know, I would have never thought to add a flavored olive oil to mashed potatoes, and I am kicking myself – that is such a great idea, and these sound so fantastic!

• mj March 5, 2013 at 9:32 pm #

Thanks Kare! The oil really adds some great flavor!

6. Katerina March 5, 2013 at 5:00 am #

I love potatoes too and the garlic pairs perfectly with them! Beautiful dish not only as a side but also as a main course!

7. Sissi March 5, 2013 at 4:48 am #

MJ, I think I could eat tons of these potatoes… You don’t have to convince me to mashed potatoes, but if they are with herbs and especially garlic… I’m in heaven. When I was a child, one of my favourite snacks was a piece of buttered bread with thin slices of raw garlic and salt, so I could never understand how someone could hate garlic…

• mj March 5, 2013 at 9:31 pm #

Thanks Sissi! Raw garlic? WOW! You are a garlic fan! I find raw garlic a little strong, but every other way – delicious! One of MY favorite snack is to mash a roasted garlic clove on bread with a caper or two. YUM!

8. Sanjeeta kk March 5, 2013 at 12:55 am #

I think we are on the same wavelength when in kitchen, MJ…posted a simple recipe with herbs…and here I am with yet another similar recipe which is sure to go in my treasure! Haven’t tried mashed potatoes for long and looks like I have got something really flavorful and lovely dish to try this weekend. Hugs.

• mj March 5, 2013 at 9:29 pm #

Thanks Sanjeeta! Girl – this isn’t the first time we’ve been on the same wavelength. :) No mashed potatoes for a “long” time!?! You’re overdue!

9. Carolyn Jung March 4, 2013 at 10:08 pm #

When I was a kid, I could eat just a bowlful of garlicky potatoes for dinner. Well, as an adult, I can still pretty much do the same. LOL

10. Terra March 4, 2013 at 9:35 pm #

I need some for my chili please!!! Have you added mashed potatoes to chili? Soooooo good!!!! I have never had garlic infused oil, I need to find some now:-) Mashed potatoes is such a fun comfort food, YUM! Hugs, Terra

• mj March 5, 2013 at 9:28 pm #

Thanks Terra! No – I’ve never had mashed potatoes with chili. Sounds like a fantastic idea! If you like garlic, you’ll love the garlic infused oil and it’s so easy to make.

11. Tessa March 4, 2013 at 8:53 pm #

Garlic mashed potatoes are one of my faves! I have to say that I agree with you on the french fries. Lovely photos!

12. Swathi March 4, 2013 at 7:17 pm #

Garlic and potato goes well. This mashed potatoes looks delicious MJ

13. Dara March 4, 2013 at 7:13 pm #

Mashed potatoes are the ultimate comfort food. I love the roasted garlic.

14. Ramona March 4, 2013 at 4:00 pm #

We are a mashed potato loving bunch here… that bowl is enough just for me.:) Looks so good and I love the roasted garlic flavor. :)

15. Giulietta | Alterkitchen March 4, 2013 at 11:56 am #

It’s funny: in Italy mashed potatoes aren’t so common (while puré it’s veeeery common)!
    Ihih, garlic, uh?! Very MJ ;)

• mj March 5, 2013 at 9:26 pm #

Thanks Giulia! You know me and my garlic. :)

16. CCU March 4, 2013 at 11:48 am #

Roasted garlic has so many versatile uses my friend :D

CCU

17. Renee @ Tortillas and Honey March 4, 2013 at 11:25 am #

This sounds absolutely wonderful! I absolutely love garlic and potatoes. Having them together is pure heaven. I’m going to save this to make in the future. Whole Foods has garlic oil from a local NM company; it’s not roasted, but I’ve been wanting to give it a try so this might be my excuse. ;-)

• mj March 5, 2013 at 9:26 pm #

Thanks Renee! I hope you get a chance to make these potatoes. Also, it’s really easy to make your own oil and you get the extra benefit of all of the roasted garlic. :)

18. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles March 4, 2013 at 10:44 am #

Sometimes the simplest recipes are the very best. This looks creamy, wholesome and full of flavour MJ. I love that you used your roasted garlic infused oil for this one… so smart, I’ve got to get on that idea. I share your mutual love of the stinking rose and the Irish spuds – oh my… how I love my patates!! :). Leftovers? I don’t think so ;-).

• mj March 5, 2013 at 9:22 pm #

Thanks Kelly! We very seldom have leftovers, but sometimes I’ll make extra for the purpose of having leftovers. :)

19. Jane March 4, 2013 at 10:21 am #

MJ, I must say I LOVE your roasted garlic and roasted garlic olive oil! I just finished some, and need to make some more! I always put garlic in my mashed potatoes — so good!

• mj March 5, 2013 at 9:21 pm #

Jane – thanks so much for letting me know that you’ve made the roasted garlic and oil! It’s great stuff!

20. john@kitchenriffs March 4, 2013 at 9:37 am #

I love the sliver of light on the top two pictures! And I love the recipe – who doesn’t just adore mashed potatoes? And with roasted garlic? Bliss! Good tips on making fast roasted garlic, and garlic-flavored oil. I rarely make mashed potatoes with olive oil (I’m a cream and butter sort) but I really do need to do it more often – such great flavor. Good stuff – thanks.

• mj March 5, 2013 at 9:20 pm #

Thanks John! I got lucky with the light. :) I usually use either butter or olive oil, and I always use buttermilk. If you get a chance to make these, I hope you enjoy them.

21. CJ at Food Stories March 4, 2013 at 8:40 am #

So glad I read this post, today as I really don’t roast garlic enough. I usually just roast a head and use in a recipe but I saw where you kept roasted garlic in the fridge … How long would this last?

• mj March 4, 2013 at 9:23 am #

Thanks CJ! If you don’t toss the roasted garlic with lemon or lime I would try to eat it within 2 to 3 weeks. Otherwise, it should keep 6 to 8 weeks, but I doubt it would last that long anyway. :)

22. ChgoJohn March 4, 2013 at 7:29 am #

Potatoes mashed with garlic are the best and your recipe, MJ, is a good one. I take a different path to the same end but I’m more than wiling to follow your lead. I’m particularly interested in using the buttermilk-olive oil combo. It sounds really good! Thanks, too, for the tips on infusing oil with garlic. That oil will certainly come in handy. :)

• mj March 4, 2013 at 9:30 am #

Thanks John! I like to switch things up and the buttermilk-oil combo is a great way to do it! It gives the potatoes a different flavor than milk and butter – like you’re eating a completely different dish. Hope you like it!

23. Judy @Savoring Today March 4, 2013 at 7:24 am #

I too love garlic, most savory recipes that pass through my kitchen receive its anointing and I am convinced roasted garlic will be served in heaven. :) Roasted garlic mashed potatoes are divine — perfect.

• mj March 4, 2013 at 9:28 am #

Thanks Judy! Well, if roasted garlic isn’t served in heaven I’m not sure I want to go. :)

24. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies March 4, 2013 at 7:17 am #

I love potatoes too. It doesn’t matter what form they come in, they are always total comfort food for me. And with roasted garlic? Swoon!

25. Karen (Back Road Journal) March 4, 2013 at 7:04 am #

I love potatoes…my husband laughingly calls me potato girl because I have been known to leave part of the main course on my dish just to finish the potatoes. :) I know I would love your potatoes.

• mj March 4, 2013 at 9:27 am #

Thanks Karen! Oh I’ve been know to do the same thing! Last time I ordered a steak at a restaurant it came with a side of mashed potatoes. I brought the steak home. :)

26. Diane Balch March 4, 2013 at 6:53 am #

Nice looking mash…yum.

27. Jennie @themessybakerblog March 4, 2013 at 6:10 am #

Mmm, these potatoes look so fluffy and delicious. I love garlic!

28. Gourmantine March 4, 2013 at 5:40 am #

If you love potatoes, you’d probably love my native Lithuanian cuisine. It’s all about potatoes, with so many variations, though as Lithuanian winters tend to get very very cold, they are on the far end of greasy and heavy side too. Having said all, I love the idea of roasting garlic on stovetop!

• mj March 4, 2013 at 9:26 am #

Thanks! I will definitely check out your Lithuanina cuisine! Stovetop roasted garlic is great for summertime roasting. No oven to heat up the kitchen.

29. Nisa Homey March 4, 2013 at 4:26 am #

Like you Mj, I am also a sucker for potatoes…I mean I love them so much that I can have them any-day any-time any-where……as a kid my mom used to ask me to give up potatoes for Lent…I am going to try your version….perfect comfort food ha!

• mj March 4, 2013 at 9:25 am #

That’s funny Nisa! I’m with you – I can’t give up potatoes! Thanks!

30. Angie@Angie's Recipes March 4, 2013 at 3:18 am #

Comforting and delicious! I love my potato puree with roasted garlic and fresh herbs too. And you know what I usually did with leftover? Just added them to the bread dough.

• mj March 4, 2013 at 9:24 am #

Why does that not surprise me? :) What a great idea! Thanks Angie!

1. Stovetop Smoked Beef Tri-Tip with Bourbon Sauce | MJ's Kitchen - January 28, 2014

[…] Sides  – Obviously mashed potatoes and carrots are perfect sides for any smoked meat and this smoked tri-tip is no exception.  Mashed […]

2. Green Beans and Potatoes with Deconstructed Pesto | MJ's Kitchen - September 23, 2013

[…] The Potatoes – Red potatoes are best because of their texture and low starch content.  They hold up quite well to the double cooking and don’t fall apart or become gummy.  Even though I love yellow and Yukon golds, they do tend to fall apart during the reheating process, so save them for mashed potatoes. […]

3. Butternut Squash Risotto with Andouille Sausage | MJ's Kitchen - September 9, 2013

[…] ½ cup vermouth or white wine ½ heaping tsp. crumbled, dried sage or 1 tsp. minced fresh sage 6 roasted garlic, smashed, minced or 3 large garlic cloves, minced 1 andouille sausage, cut into ¼’” cubes […]

4. Garlic Infused Olive Oil | MJ's Kitchen - April 8, 2013

[...] A quicker roasted garlic with the benefit of the oil – Sometimes I want some roasted garlic but don’t have an hour to bake it. So I use my stovetop version which takes less than 30 minutes, start to finish. Just like the recipe above, not only do you get a head of roasted garlic, but you also get about a cup of roasted garlic oil.  Here is my method for roasting garlic in olive oil on the stovetop. [...]

5. 70 Dye-Free, Naturally Green Recipes for Saint Patrick's Day | Kitchen Treaty - March 11, 2013

[...] Mashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic and Herbs - MJ’s Kitchen [...]