Sauteed Mushrooms with Onion and Spice

Sauteed Mushrooms with chile powder and paprika

These sauteed mushrooms makes a great side for just about anything.  You can serve it with another vegetable, pretty much any meat, or over rice or a creamy polenta. It’s also a very quick and easy dish to throw together. It takes longer to chop the vegetables than to cook the dish.  There are four basic ingredients – mushrooms, garlic, onion, and bell pepper – and then a little bit of spice.  The spices can be changed to better complement the other components of the meal.  These spicy sauteed mushrooms make a simple little dish with a burst of flavor in every bite!

Sauteed Mushrooms with onion and peppers

Sauteed mushrooms and onions with chile powder and paprika

Mushrooms – The best mushrooms for this dish are button mushrooms – white or cremini (baby bellas). You want a mushroom that imparts a lot of moisture when it cooks.  Even though I love shiitakis, they don’t work very well for this dish because I end up having to add too much oil.

Bell pepper – I love sweet bells so I add them for flavor, color and texture.  Use a red, yellow, or orange pepper to give the dish some color.  When sauteing the onion and peppers, the onions will soften first.  Don’t wait for the peppers to soften.  They’ll cook a little more with the mushrooms and still provide a touch of crunch in the final dish.

Spice – Of course I used New Mexico red chile powder, but you could use just about any red chile powder or even red pepper flakes.  If all you have a chili powder blend, I would think that it would work as well.  The 1/4 teaspoon was just enough to add a little heat without overpowering the flavor of the mushrooms.  You can always add more if you choose.  For the paprika, I used an Hungarian paprika which added a little heat as well. Depending on what you are serving these with, you could also go with a toasted cumin and coriander blend, or chile and turmeric.

Truffle oil – I put this as optional, but I really love a touch of the truffle in this dish. You could use truffle oil, sea salt with truffle, or grate some truffle on top.  Just be careful not to go overboard. If you don’t have any of these, not to worry – the dish is quite delicious without it!

Serving suggestions:

• Serve over rice as a side to another vegetable dish or a meat such as roast chicken or grilled steak.
  • Last night we served it with leftover rice and a side of steamed asparagus topped with a soft boiled (steamed actually) egg.  (I read about the asparagus dish in Cook’s Illustrated.  It was as good as it sounded.)
  • Serve over creamy polenta such as the one dished up over at Spicie Foodie.
  • For another complete vegetarian meal using this dish, serve the mushrooms over rice, pasta, or polenta and top with a soft-cooked egg (fried, boiled or steamed).

What to do with any leftovers?  If you do happen to find yourself with a few leftover mushrooms, here’s a few ideas on how to use them.

• Add them to a soup or casserole
  • Wrap them in an omelet with a little goat cheese
  • Add them to scrambled eggs.
  • Serve them over a piece of toast for lunch
  • Use them as the topping for a burger

No matter how you dish them up – you’re going to love these sauteed mushrooms!

These spicy sauteed mushrooms have been shared with the following recipe parties: Katherine Martinelli’s Vegan Hop, Foodie Friday, Weekend Kitchen Creations, Heath and Soul ,

Tags: , ,

65 Responses to “Sauteed Mushrooms with Onion and Spice”

1. April @ The 21st Century Housewife May 16, 2013 at 10:34 am #

I can think of so many ways to serve this delicious dish! I could even eat it by itself over rice for a great vegetarian main dish. Love the combination of paprika and chili powder. I’ve pinned this to my Side Dishes Board on Pinterest. Thank you for sharing it with the Hearth and Soul hop.

• mj May 16, 2013 at 9:19 pm #

Thanks April! I had this again the other night and serve it over a piece of toast. It was surprising very good! Thanks for pinning it!

2. Michelle @ Greedy Gourmet March 8, 2013 at 6:39 am #

Simple and effective. You can give the dish a splash of colour too by adding red and green peppers to it.

3. Diane Balch March 2, 2013 at 5:57 pm #

Mushrooms and onions are two of my favorite foods…great dish. Thanks for sharing it on foodie friday.

4. Jennifer March 1, 2013 at 5:15 pm #

This looks yummy! Please share at Weekend Kitchen Creations, http://www.weekendkitchencreations.blogspot.com. Join us, share your delicious creation and get other scrumptious ideas.

5. Purabi Naha February 17, 2013 at 7:14 am #

Wow, this sounds delicious! I loved the mushroom recipe.

6. Swathi February 12, 2013 at 12:02 pm #

OMG that is my favorite, sauteed earth mushroom and onions great . Love the spices too, I can’t live without them.

• Swathi May 20, 2013 at 4:28 pm #

Thanks for linking to Hearth and soul blog hop MJ

7. Charles February 11, 2013 at 4:22 pm #

Hi MJ – I can seriously almost smell the mushrooms through my screen, haha. It might sound clichéd but that your wonderful photo really did evoke that sensation. It’s funny how that works, isn’t it? I love the smell of cooked mushrooms, and the texture and flavour! It looks really tasty – I was going to ask what sort of chile, but then I noticed you wrote about it further down. I don’t have a specific kind per se – I guess something like cayenne pepper would work?

8. Nancy/SpicieFoodie February 10, 2013 at 7:17 am #

I would eat this as a main meal any day of the week. Mushrooms, onions and peppers are a trio that I love and use often. You’ve made me crave yours now MJ. 🙂

9. Lisa is Raw on $10 a Day (or Less!) February 9, 2013 at 6:48 am #

Wow, must try this … it looks really delish! The recipe is SO well done, too! Thanks!

10. Terra February 8, 2013 at 9:18 am #

You said the magic word, Mushrooms! I eat mushrooms in almost anything, especially on my pizza. This would be awesome on a pizza, the spice would make the pizza that much better! Looks delicious Hugs, Terra

11. Soni February 7, 2013 at 8:45 am #

I love mushrooms and this spicy preparation sounds fantastic!!A great idea for my weeknight meals 🙂

12. peachy @ The Peach Kitchen February 6, 2013 at 10:08 pm #

Oh my! I will have to add some butter to mine!

13. Jen February 6, 2013 at 7:23 pm #

You just made my day – my son has been asking me to make him something with mushrooms in it all week! They are his favorite!

14. Gomo February 6, 2013 at 7:07 pm #

Ooh, I love the flavor of mushrooms and onions together. I’m sure it’ll be amazing with some creamy polenta. Thanks MJ! 🙂

15. Food Jaunts February 6, 2013 at 10:24 am #

Great side – I’m always on the lookout for a quick dish to round out meals and find myself reverting to frozen veggies much too often. That little bit of truffle has to just take it over the top.

• mj February 6, 2013 at 8:37 pm #

Thanks FJ! I’m with you – sides are hard sometimes. I usually cook up a one pot dish with a side salad. But when I can fresh vegetables, I love it and try to incorporate them into the meal.

16. Giulietta | Alterkitchen February 6, 2013 at 10:15 am #

I onestly don’t know why I don’t eat mushrooms so much… maybe it’s because my mom is allergic to them?!! Too bad, I’d love this dish!

17. Chaya February 6, 2013 at 9:10 am #

This is a great combination. I would love this on top of mashed potatoes.

• mj February 6, 2013 at 8:35 pm #

Thanks Chaya! Oh I like the idea of serving them on top of mashed potatoes!

18. Liz February 6, 2013 at 5:59 am #

The hubby isn’t a fan of mushrooms, but I will make myself a side dish on occasion…and I don’t even have to share 🙂 Love this recipe!

19. fati's recipes February 6, 2013 at 5:28 am #

Will need to try this with the girls. Might get them to change their minds about mushrooms. The flavours in this sound wonderful.

20. Treat and Trick February 6, 2013 at 3:24 am #

I’m attracted to this simple yet flavorful dish, love the spices you’d used in them….

21. Katerina February 6, 2013 at 1:47 am #

I love the distinctive flavor the truffle oil gives to everything! Your mushrooms look perfect not only as a side dish but also as a light night meal!

• mj February 6, 2013 at 8:34 pm #

Thanks Katerina! Oh yes – the truffle oil really adds a great flavor.

22. Nami | Just One Cookbook February 6, 2013 at 1:35 am #

I love all kinds of mushrooms and I often think that I can become a vegetarian (maybe half-time vegetarian) because I can eat mushrooms everyday and a great amount for a meal. This is totally my kind of meal – probably lunch so that my husband won’t say “where’s meat/fish?”. I’ve seen Hungarian paprika in several recipes and I don’t own it. I should definitely get one so that I can make this recipe. Love the spice and flavor to cook mushrooms. I drool thinking about mushrooms… haha.

• mj February 6, 2013 at 8:33 pm #

Thanks Nami! We both love mushrooms as well! Just this week, we’ve had this dish, mushroom risotto, then for lunch today, I took the leftovers from this dish and made a mushroom omelet. Yesterday I bought some beautiful baby bellas, So it looks like we’ll be having mushrooms again soon. 🙂

23. cooking rookie February 5, 2013 at 10:12 pm #

Your mushrooms look wonderful! I wanted to make something like this for dinner today, but I got too lazy, so I microwaved a hot dog (blush). Now that I am reading this recipe, I am getting hungry again – all these spices must be wonderful with mushrooms, peppers and onions. Tomorrow will be a better day 🙂

• mj February 6, 2013 at 8:26 pm #

Thanks Rookie! I have to admit that a hot dog is the last thing I would fix for supper. I’ve never bought one and have never made one. Obviously, not a fan of hot dogs. 🙂 I hope that today was a better day!

24. Carole February 5, 2013 at 1:15 pm #

You have made these look so appetising. I hope you are having a great week.

25. beyondthepeel February 5, 2013 at 12:08 pm #

I love Hungarian paprika on my mushrooms! What a fabulously easy recipe!

26. LinsFood February 5, 2013 at 8:13 am #

Such a light but satisfying dish, this looks like it’ll fit into my midweek list very nicely!

27. Rita Bose February 5, 2013 at 6:20 am #

I love mushrooms and this sounds delicious!!

28. Hotly Spiced February 5, 2013 at 3:57 am #

I love mushrooms and it’s true they really do make a wonderful side-dish. These look wonderful xx

29. Amy Tong February 4, 2013 at 7:26 pm #

I love your simple and perfect side for any entree. 🙂 My kids love mushrooms and onions (I’m so glad). So, this would be perfect to make any time.

30. Jen @JuanitasCocina February 4, 2013 at 5:43 pm #

I’d need nothing else besides these! I’ve been craving veggies lately and I cannot wait to make these!

31. Bill February 4, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

What’s not to love about this side dish! Mushrooms, onions, and bell pepper are three of my favorite ingredients. Add a little spice and I know it’s delicious. Great recipe!!

32. wok with ray February 4, 2013 at 10:34 am #

The caramelization of onion must have created a wonderful and balanced sweetness to the mushroom. I love the combination of those two veggies. I think you are brilliant by adding some heat on this, MJ! It is really making me hungry with rice or I can just eat it by itself.

Have a good week, MJ! 🙂

• mj February 5, 2013 at 10:55 am #

Thanks Ray! You can always count on me to add a little heat to a dish! Growing up with a bottle of Tabasco and a jar of pickled jalapenos on the dinner table every night makes hot food the norm, not the exception. 🙂

33. Tanja@tanjascookingcorner February 4, 2013 at 10:23 am #

I am in love with mushrooms, and would definitely love to try your flavourful version…:)

34. Asmita February 4, 2013 at 10:09 am #

This dish looks so yummy! We love mushrooms at our house and it would be a big hit with my family!

35. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies February 4, 2013 at 8:23 am #

I have a bit of an obsession with mushrooms–I just can’t get enough of them. These would be great on top of a veggie burger. 🙂 I’m going to have to make them soon!

• mj February 5, 2013 at 10:53 am #

GREAT idea serving them over a veggie burger or any burger for that matter! Thanks for the suggestion and the comments!

36. Sissi February 4, 2013 at 7:52 am #

This is what I love about mushrooms: if you treat them well, spice them up a bit and serve them in such a delightful way as you did, they become a flavoursome, complex dish, appreciated even by carnivores. (Of course Hungarian paprika is an excellent taste enhancer!).

• mj February 5, 2013 at 10:52 am #

Thanks Sissi! Amen on the Hungarian paprika! That and red chile powder are two of my favorites and they are SO good when combined!

37. Raymund February 4, 2013 at 12:19 am #

Nice earthy flavours! I would love them on my dinner plate now

38. Tessa February 3, 2013 at 5:58 pm #

Lovely photos MJ! Sauteed mushrooms is one of my favorite side dishes. Looks and sounds delicious!

39. Debra February 3, 2013 at 5:11 pm #

This reminds me so much of a wild mushroom ragu over polenta that I ate at our fave restaurant. I hadn’t really thought about replicating it until now!

40. Jane February 3, 2013 at 2:57 pm #

I love the suggestion of polenta too, that sounds like a great meal!!

41. ChgoJohn February 3, 2013 at 1:21 pm #

This is a great side, MJ, and would “go” with just about anything. Love your suggestion for serving it over polenta and we make something very similar but add Italian sausages to the pan. I bet leftovers would make a great frittata, too. 🙂

• mj February 5, 2013 at 10:51 am #

Thanks John! Oh I love Italian sausage and polenta! I make a kale and Italian sausage dish over polenta – so good! You just gave me an idea for lunch. I have some crepes in the fridge and some leftover mushrooms – YUM! Thanks!

42. Zsuzsa February 3, 2013 at 10:48 am #

Peach lady I would love this dish, I LOVE mushrooms, but then you could make anything look appetizing. You are a real artist not only in the kitchen, but with that camera of yours.

• mj February 5, 2013 at 10:49 am #

Thanks Zsuzsa! When I added the paprika, I thought of you! 🙂 You are the first to ever call me an “artist” in reference to a camera!!! If you only knew how I struggle!

43. john@kitchenriffs February 3, 2013 at 9:00 am #

Nice photos – you have some great light. And this is a great recipe! Mushrooms are so good, aren’t they? And you’re right that these would combine with any meat, although I’m really drawn to your polenta idea. I always enjoy adding sweet bell peppers both for flavor and the color they add to a dish. Good stuff – thanks.

• mj February 5, 2013 at 10:48 am #

Thanks John! I’m loving the location of my photo table! It’s in the summer so I get great winter light. It will be interesting to see what type of light it yields in the summer. Glad you liked the recipe!

44. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles February 3, 2013 at 7:06 am #

I agree, it’s hard not to love a combination like this. Onion and garlic bring so much flavor (and antioxidants! ;-)) to every dish and your shrooms are simply glistening here MJ. It reminds me, I received a mushroom olive oil as a gift for Christmas and I’ve been enjoying its subtle but distinct flavour in similar tosses – that earthy, grounding taste is so wonderful. Great recipe.

• mj February 5, 2013 at 10:46 am #

Thanks Kelly! Gotta love those Christmas presents. My sister Nadalyn gave me a couple of little truffles. Can’t wait to crack open the jar!

45. Angie@Angie's Recipes February 3, 2013 at 1:42 am #

Yes, this is my healthy and delicious kind of lunch!

46. CCU February 2, 2013 at 11:38 pm #

Mushrooms have never looked so appetising 😀

CCU

47. Nisa Homey February 2, 2013 at 11:37 pm #

Love to have this with hot steaming rice….you made this simple dish so flavorful.

48. Ramona February 2, 2013 at 6:22 pm #

Simple ingredients.. spectacular flavor!! Looks wonderful!! I want mine with some Creamy polenta like you suggested. 🙂 Have a wonderful weekend my friend. 🙂

• mj February 5, 2013 at 10:45 am #

Thanks Ramona! I mean what’s not good over creamy polenta? 🙂 Have a great week!

49. Alex February 2, 2013 at 5:43 pm #

I would eat it like that. Perfect!

50. Vicki Bensinger February 2, 2013 at 4:09 pm #

I love mushrooms and will cook up a batch all doctored up and toss it into pasta. Your version sounds delicious and full of flavor.