Swiss Chard Leek Quiche

A slice of Swiss chard and leek quiche

For years I was intimidated by quiche because I was always trying to make it too healthy.  I used skim milk, too few eggs, and too many vegetables.  Therefore, my quiches were always runny, thin and tasted like sauteed vegetables with scrambled eggs.  And no – I never followed a recipe, but I have gotten better at that over the years. :) So after many failed quiches, I did decide to follow a recipe and made a beautiful quiche with lots of eggs, heavy cream and cheese.  I finally understood what made a quiche work:  great vegetable/meat ingredients (but not too many), a tasty and light crust, and the right proportion of eggs to cream to milk.  At this point I started working my way toward a healthier quiche.

The base of ingredients for this quiche recipe is my standard.  I use an amazingly easy and tasty crust that I found at Food.com, and local free range eggs.  The ratio of eggs to cream/milk is 4 eggs to 1 ¼ cups liquid. So with a great crust and the perfect egg and cream/milk mixture, all I need now are a couple of tasty vegetables and possibly a little meat, and then the cheese.  In this quiche I used leeks and Swiss chard with a sharp provolone and Romano cheese (our favorite); however, you could use pretty much any vegetable, meat, and cheese that you have on hand.  See Kitchen Notes for some ideas.

A Swiss chard and leek quiche

A slice of leek and Swiss chard quiche

The crust’s flour – Like my basic quiche recipe, the crust recipe has gone through many different versions.  I’ve tried lots of different flours and flour combinations and have found that the best flour to use is pastry flour.  The texture is perfect. However, bread flour and all purpose flours work “almost” as well; therefore, I use one of those if I don’t have pastry flour. For a crust with a little more grain to it, substitute 1/4 cup whole wheat or spelt for 1/4 cup of the pastry flour. I didn’t like any crust in which I used brown rice flour as part or all of the flour.  These crusts were hard and crunchy – not something I want in a quiche crust.

The crust oil and seasoning – I love to use garlic infused oil as part or all of the oil, but that should come as no surprise. A little spice and/or herbs in the crust is also quite nice.  What you use depends on the quiche ingredients. About 1/4 tsp. of dried oregano in the crust works with almost any quiche.

The milk/cream mixture – My standard mixture is half and half with 2% milk.  However, I have used whipping cream or heavy cream with milk as well, mainly because that’s what was in the fridge. When I use heavy cream, I reduce the cream to 1/2 cup and increase the milk to 3/4 cup – still trying to keep that fat content down.

The ratio of eggs to milk/cream mixture – For  9″ quiche, 4 eggs with 1 ¼ cups milk/cream yields a pretty big quiche with the egg/cream mixture rising about the crust. If your pan is smaller, you can reduce the number of eggs to 3, but then you should reduce the cream to 1/2 cup and keep the milk at 1/2 cup.

The ingredients – I usually pick two main ingredients and adjust the seasoning to complement.  Of course, I’ll always add a little garlic.  Some of our favorite combinations are Swiss chard and leeks, leeks and mushrooms, crab meat and spinach, turkey mushroom, green chile and turkey, smoked salmon and asparagus, and artichoke and bacon.  The possibilities are endless.  Just don’t be tempted to pile it on too high. Too many vegetables or meat can add additional moisture that keeps the egg mixture from setting and produces a runny quiche.  Believe me – I know this to be true!

The cheese – I always add two different cheeses.  Notice in this recipe I just say “sharp cheese”.  That’s because I’ve used sharp cheddar, real Italian provolone, and asiago and they all were fabulous.  The second cheese is almost always Pecorino Romano. The sharp, harder cheeses allow me to keep the amount of cheese at a reasonable level. Just choose the cheese or cheeses that best fits the ingredients and that you like the flavor of.

Normally we just eat quiche, but sometimes I’ll add a small side salad with a fruit of some kind like orange, apple or dried cranberries.  One quiche provides Bobby and I with two meals.

For another vegeSwiss Chard Calzonetarian meal made with Swiss chard, try my Swiss Chard Calzone.

This Swiss Chard and leek quiche recipe was shared with the following blog hops:

Hearth and Soul, Wonderful Food Wednesday, Weekend Potluck, Foodie Friday, Carole’s Food on Friday, and featured at Bizzy’s Recipe Box
Hearth & Soul Hop

Tags: , , , ,

101 Responses to “Swiss Chard Leek Quiche”

1. Carole April 19, 2013 at 8:02 pm #

Another lovely one MJ!. Thanks for linking in. Cheers

2. Chaya March 19, 2013 at 8:20 am #

This is a star dish and I love it. I don’t like using swiss chard because it is such a dirty vegetable but it is also delicious so I occasionally put it into recipes. This looks like a recipe worth cleaning veggies for. Thanks for linking to the Recipe Box. This is being featured, this week

• mj March 20, 2013 at 11:11 am #

Thanks Chaya! We eat a lot of Swiss chard in this house, but since my husband does all of cleaning and chopping of it, I don’t notice that it’s a dirty vegetable. His never commented about that. Thanks for featuring it!

3. Michelle @ Greedy Gourmet March 8, 2013 at 6:19 am #

Most diet recipes repel me. Understandably, there are some people who need do lay off the fat or meat but who wants to eat a low-fat quiche? Not me. I’d rather eat a slice of this quiche and go for a long, long walk to work it off.

4. Carole Tabb March 3, 2013 at 11:41 pm #

Best quiche I’ve ever made; all friends agreed. I used rainbow chard with sliced mushrooms, finely diced onions & 1/2c cream with 3/4c milk. Absolutely outstanding & thanx so very much!

• mj March 4, 2013 at 7:18 am #

Carole – I am thrilled that you tried and loved this quiche recipe! Your combination of ingredients sounds perfect! I do a mushroom leek, but I don’t remember if I’ve done a mushroom chard. Sounds good! Thank you so much for your comment. You made my day! :)

5. April @ The 21st Century Housewife February 25, 2013 at 1:41 pm #

This is a wonderful quiche, and I love how full of wholesome ingredients it is. Your notes on pastry are really helpful, and I totally agree, sharp cheese is the way forward. You can definitely use less but still get lots of flavour. Thank you for sharing this delicious post with the Hearth and Soul hop. I’m featuring it in my post this week.

6. Diane Balch February 24, 2013 at 2:46 pm #

So funny you sound like me and quiche. I used to make a tofu one… it was super healthy but no were near as delicious as quiche with cream in it. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us on foodie friday.

7. Melnie Goad February 20, 2013 at 9:04 am #

My husband loves quiche. I’m pinning this one.

8. Mary Hartley February 16, 2013 at 7:53 pm #

Hi MJ! I made your quiche for Dinner tonight and it was perfect! I used whole wheat pastry flour, so the crust was not as tender as it could have been, otherwise wonderful! Mark loved it too! Hi to Bob! Love you, Mary

• mj February 17, 2013 at 11:36 am #

Mary – it’s always wonderful hearing from you! You made my day Girl! I’m so glad that you and Mark like the quiche! It’s always great getting such wonderful feedback and knowing that people are actually making my recipes. Thanks!!!!! Hugs to you both and miss seeing you! Love – MJ

9. Swathi February 12, 2013 at 11:56 am #

Delicious, Love this as breakfast, thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul blog hop.

10. Sissi February 6, 2013 at 8:39 am #

I have just popped in to say I made a quiche yesterday. I kept on thinking about this beauty and since I always have a sheet of puff pastry… It was not the traditional Quiche Lorraine, but as usually whatever I found in the fridge. Thank you for the inspiration!

• mj February 6, 2013 at 8:43 pm #

Thanks Sissi! I’m thrilled that I inspired you to make a quiche! Love the idea of using puff pastry!

11. fati's recipes February 6, 2013 at 6:31 am #

Awh. This looks nice, but I still struggle to like quiches. I just have a fear of really eggy-egginess. I don’t mind the taste of eggs, but just when it’s really eggy… Perhaps trying something really flavoursome like this might change my mind.

12. Liz February 6, 2013 at 5:57 am #

What a perfect quiche, MJ! I love how you lightened it up without compromising the taste!

13. Tanja@tanjascookingcorner February 4, 2013 at 10:19 am #

Chard and leeks are a wonderful combination! A gorgeous looking quiche! I also use olive oil instead of butter whenever I can :)

14. Asmita February 4, 2013 at 10:10 am #

WOW MJ!
    This looks so professional. I would love to dig into that.

15. Amanda@ChewTown February 3, 2013 at 9:37 pm #

That definitely is one beautiful looking quiche! Great kitchen notes as always – makes it very easy for those trying to recreate.

16. Sanjeeta kk February 2, 2013 at 10:07 am #

Even I am looking for healthy and egg free quiche which s not runny…have tried a few and got success also, but still there is something missing in it. I hate the eggy quiche…love your base and the veggie combo, MJ!

17. mj February 2, 2013 at 9:19 am #

Thanks Helene! The color of this quiche comes for the wonderful eggs I buy. My SIL’s coworker raises free-range, organically fed chicken, so I buy all my eggs from her. They are wonderful in flavor and have beautiful orange yolks! Oh – you really need to try the olive oil. For a savory dish like quiche, it’s perfect! Have a great weekend!

18. Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb February 2, 2013 at 6:50 am #

So pretty MJ! Your swiss chard and leek quiche looks like as if you have added turmeric powder but you haven’t, somehow its pretty yellow. =D I love yellow effect quiche (I guess you know that already). Interesting that you used olive oil instead of butter. I never dared to use oil instead of butter while making the short crust.

19. cakewhiz February 1, 2013 at 10:40 am #

i have always liked eating quiche but surprisingly never made one myself. i was sadly under the impression that it’s very complicated but looking at your instructions has me thinking: i can pull this off ;)

btw, your pictures are so professional and beautiful!

• mj February 2, 2013 at 9:18 am #

Thanks Darlin for your nice comments!!! I also prolonged making quiche for years thinking it was complicated. But I was quite wrong. It’s as easy as making a soup. Anyone can do it! :)

20. Michi February 1, 2013 at 3:56 am #

I’ve recently bought over a dozen fresh eggs, so there have been plenty of French omelettes and tortilla’s españolas, but quiche is my favorite egg recipe!! I’ll have to try this one out tomorrow!

• mj February 1, 2013 at 8:48 am #

Thanks Michi! Fresh eggs are a must!!! That’s why this quiche is almost orange! :) I hope you enjoy your quiche!

21. Cucina49 January 31, 2013 at 11:15 am #

MJ–that’s a beautiful quiche, and clearly your years of refining your recipe have paid off. It’s something my mother made every year at the holidays, and I’ve never tried it myself. When I do, I’ll use this as a reference.

• mj February 1, 2013 at 8:47 am #

Thanks Cucina! Oh it’s much more than a holiday dish! You really need to try it. It’s not hard to make. Come together quickly, then just bakes.

22. Giulietta | Alterkitchen January 31, 2013 at 9:38 am #

I love quiches, and the combination between swiss chard and leek seems tasty to me. Love it!

Have a nice week-end, my dear :)

Giulia

• mj February 1, 2013 at 8:46 am #

Thanks Giulia!! You have a great weekend as well!

23. Katerina January 31, 2013 at 4:44 am #

Oh, how much I would love a piece of this quiche right now my friend! I cannot get my eyes off of this!

24. Sissi January 31, 2013 at 4:04 am #

Lovely quiche, MJ. It looks so bright and green, I almost feel as if it was spring! Actually the traditional quiche lorraine (some French people refuse to call anything quiche unless it’s quiche lorraine, otherwise it’s a tart) doesn’t contain any cheese in the cream and egg mixture, so it’s not obligatory… (As for the eggs, unless you have health problems, recently doctors keep on saying you can eat as much as one egg every day at least). I love the olive oil crust (it’s so rare to see thin crust on US blogs… and I love thin tart /quiche crust). I do just like you: I mix milk with cream in savoury tarts/quiches.
    I’m so happy to see finally someone put “pecorino romano” and not just “romano” in the ingredients… While talking, no Italian calls this cheese “romano”, but “pecorino” (romano is not important really… especially since most of the cheese is produced in Sardegna not Rome region ;-) ), but I have seen it called “romano” so many times on US blogs, I started to wonder if it’s not an American copy ;-)
    You have made me crave quiche lorraine… I haven’t had it for ages!

• mj February 1, 2013 at 8:46 am #

Thanks Sissi! Very interesting that the only quiche in Europe is quiche lorraine. Glad I’m not in Europe. I definitely would have made a faux pas. :) I’m with you as to a thin crust. I much prefer thin crusts because I don’t want it to be the dominating texture and flavor of the dish. It just holds it in place. As to pecorino romano, I have to admit that I get lazy sometimes and drop the pecorino. After reading a discussion on G+ the other day about “bleu cheese” vs. “blue cheese” I decided I need to do it right or not at all. I am an educator afterall. :)
      Well if you haven’t had a quiche in ages, it’s time to change that!!! Have a great weekend!

• Sissi February 4, 2013 at 7:49 am #

Don’t worry! Only rare French purists (those from Lorraine region especially ;-) ) say so! Otherwise, everyone makes quiches with whatever they want.
        You see, for me to say “romano” instead of pecorino would be like saying “reggiano” instead of “parmiggiano”… I am sometimes very stubborn and try not to follow other people’s mistakes (I could write a whole book about how badly some dishes are pronounced by the French and even when they now how to pronounce, they follow the general flow).

• Sissi February 4, 2013 at 7:49 am #

“KNOW how to pronounce” of course, sorry for the typo :-(

25. Joanna @ Chic & Gorgeous Treats January 30, 2013 at 11:24 pm #

I love leeks whether stir fry, or use them in soup. This I must try. I have not made quiche before, lets just say ever. I bookmarked a lot of savoury recipes recently and have tons to try out. This is going in my list too. Btw, this quiche looks perfect! ♥ Jo

• mj February 1, 2013 at 8:40 am #

Thanks Joanna! WOW! I’m really surprised to read that you’ve never made a quiche! You make such wonderful dishes! You really need to try one. You’ll love it!

26. Carolyn Jung January 30, 2013 at 10:04 pm #

Quiche may not be the most trendy dish these days, but it’s still a classic. After all, you can’t go wrong with an eggy custard in a flaky crust.

• mj February 1, 2013 at 8:39 am #

Thanks Carolyn! I never have been very trendy – just ask my husband. :) When I like a food, I’ll eat it even if it is old-fashioned and I guess the quiche is something I’ll be eating for a long time because we do love them! Kind of like my bluejeans and t-shirts. My mother asked me the other day if I would ever stop wearing them now that I’m approaching six decades. Nope! :)

27. Lori Lynn January 30, 2013 at 4:12 pm #

That is perfection MJ!
    We love leeks!
    LL

28. Soni January 30, 2013 at 10:17 am #

This looks gorgeous! I love the fact that this is a lighter version and yet seems like the perfect Quiche! The Swiss Chard sounds fantastic in this recipe.Great meal idea for these winter days :)

• mj February 1, 2013 at 8:35 am #

Thanks Soni! It is quite comforting on a cold day!

29. CJ at Food Stories January 30, 2013 at 9:55 am #

Before I went vegan, I used to eat quiche all the time ~ it’s such a fun recipe that’s so easy to make so I’ve been thinking of trying one with tofu :-)

• mj February 1, 2013 at 8:34 am #

Oh eggs and cheese are the two reasons I could never go vegan!! :) Hope things are working out for you on your vegan diet!

30. Nads January 30, 2013 at 9:02 am #

Question ? Does it freeze? If so, do you recommend freezing before or after cooking? Mid-way? I have several things in the fridge that I need to use up before they go bad that would be great in a quiche, but I don’t want to serve one again right away. What say you?

• Nads January 31, 2013 at 7:32 am #

Never mind, I went ahead and made another one yesterday with steamed artichoke hearts and bacon and scallions. I cooked it first and now it is in the freezer. When we take it out and eat it I will let you know how it turned out.

• mj February 1, 2013 at 8:33 am #

sorry Babe for not getting back with you sooner!! I actually missed the first your question post. Not sure why. Anyhoo – I couldn’t have answered it anyway because I’ve never tried to freeze one. Not sure about freezing cooked eggs, but let me know how it turns out! :) Oh yum – I do love the artichoke and bacon combo!

31. Treat and Trick January 30, 2013 at 4:41 am #

Your light and healthy crust looks awesome with perfect filling! I need to try it next time when making quiche…

32. Vicki Bensinger January 29, 2013 at 9:30 pm #

I love quiche and this sounds very healthy. Quiche. Is so comforting especially on cold days. This would be good for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

33. Anne@FromMySweetHeart January 29, 2013 at 9:10 pm #

Oh…a beautiful quiche MJ! I’ve struggled with quiche in the past….it usually comes out a bit runny. But I think I’ve learned that less is more. And I think I’ve tried to pack too many ingredients into it! Every time I visit….I take away something new. I’ve only ever used swiss chard in soups! So looking forward to trying your version! : )

• mj January 30, 2013 at 8:21 am #

Thanks Anne! Yep – too many ingredients definitely make a runny quiche. I’ve done the same thing many times. :) I use Swiss chard in a lot of things from soups to pasta to quiche. I find it quite versatile and love the flavor. I hope you try this and thanks for your sweet heart comments! :)

34. Nads January 29, 2013 at 6:50 pm #

This is absolutely delicious! At least I will assume it is, because I made it tonight for dinner (the first quiche I’ve made in many years) but I didn’t have some of the ingredients so I substituted with what I had. I didn’t have a leek but I had scallions; instead of Swiss chard I used beet greens; for half and half I used buttermilk; I did have Romano but for the other cheese I used the last of the smoked gouda from Christmas and a little American; and I used a frozen pie crust (Pie crust from scratch. Are you kidding me!). To get Brynn to eat it I added bacon, and SHE loved it! On the side we had a little cranberry sauce and a nice Shiraz. Now I’m inspired to make quiches. We still have several frozen pie crusts taking up the freezer. Who knew I could get my man to eat quiche!

• mj January 30, 2013 at 8:18 am #

You’re so funny!!! :) You did exactly what I wanted to accomplish with this post! You used what you had! And of course YOU would have “beet” greens. :) Lord only knows why. Interesting substitution with the buttermilk. Would never have thought of that one, but it sounds like it worked. I’ve used smoked provolone in a quiche before so I can imagine that the smoked gouda was awesome! Bacon – how can you go wrong with bacon!? Once you use up all of those frozen pie crusts, you really need to try this olive oil crust. It’s SO easy!!! No rolling, no mess – just mix the ingredients together and press it into the pan. I’m SO glad y’all liked it and your choice of sides (including the Shiraz) sounds perfect!!! Jim and Bobby prove that real men DO eat quiche. :)

35. Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy January 29, 2013 at 6:01 pm #

Divine! I love the olive oil crust! This is exactly what I feel like right now.

36. Kankana January 29, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

I love a good healthy filling quiche. This sounds fantastic!

37. Zsuzsa January 29, 2013 at 3:10 pm #

This is lovely and might even convince me to eat swiss chard. :-)

• mj January 30, 2013 at 8:08 am #

Oh I love Swiss chard! It’s not really the prevalent flavor in this dish. The leeks are, so if you like leeks, you’ll love this quiche. Thanks for the visit as always Zsuzsa!

38. Raymund January 29, 2013 at 2:55 pm #

I like this cheesy quiche but I am not sure if we have swiss chards here, might replace it with spinach

• mj January 30, 2013 at 8:07 am #

Thanks Raymund! Spinach works great! I’ve used it before as well.

39. Carole January 29, 2013 at 2:24 pm #

A great idea – leek in a quiche – I can just imagine the nice flavour. thanks for the idea. Hope you are having a good week.

40. Karen (Back Road Journal) January 29, 2013 at 11:08 am #

Sounds like a great tasting quiche and your tips are most welcomed.

41. Food Jaunts January 29, 2013 at 10:26 am #

I’m a quiche fanatic :) Great customizable quiche post – I always love your kitchen notes.

42. Adora's Box January 29, 2013 at 9:57 am #

That is such a good looking quiche MJ. I like the garlicky, leeky, chardy flavour. Super yum. If you make me the less fatty, more vegetable version, I’d eat it, too.

• mj January 29, 2013 at 2:09 pm #

Thanks Adora! Yes, but the less fatty and more vegetable version isn’t near as good! :)

43. Reese@SeasonwithSpice January 28, 2013 at 5:07 pm #

You share some great tips here, MJ. I experience the similar problems too when I try to make certain recipes healthier (cutting down on butter/ oil, eggs, cheese, skimmed milk etc), but they don’t always turn out well. At the end, I just need to go with the ingredients required. Healthy eating is always about balance, right? Thank you for such a great recipe! I love quiche, especially for weekend brunch. This combination looks really tasty.

• mj January 29, 2013 at 2:08 pm #

Thanks Reese! Totally agree – healthy eating is definitely about balance – balance within the dish and between all of your meals! Whole wheat cereal and fruit in the a.m. and quiche in the p.m. That works. :)

44. wok with ray January 28, 2013 at 4:11 pm #

It is my philosophy that if you want to eat good tasting food, don’t make substitutions that will water down the flavor and the quality of the dish. This quiche is just making me hungry and I love leeks. Have a good week, MJ! :)

• mj January 29, 2013 at 2:06 pm #

Thanks Ray! Amen to that! Hope you are having a great week as well!

45. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies January 28, 2013 at 4:10 pm #

I’m making quiche this week for the first time in months–I wish I had seen your recipe when I was making my meal plan! The combination of chard and leeks is so perfect for winter.

46. Jen January 28, 2013 at 12:03 pm #

It took me a few tries to get the bottom of the crust to turn out cooked but not soggy in the middle. Once you find that perfect balance it’s a thing of beauty!

47. Ramona January 28, 2013 at 5:38 am #

I love quiche and the fact swiss chard is in this makes me really happy. I think you found yourself a perfect looking quiche my friend. :)

48. Hotly Spiced January 28, 2013 at 2:15 am #

I love quiche and I adore leeks so this is a great recipe for me. I think this is a perfect mid-week meal xx

49. Purabi Naha January 28, 2013 at 1:16 am #

Wonderful quiche! I agree with you that too little eggs can ruin the quiche. Loved the choice of cheeses in your’s …. this picture looks stunning!

50. peachy @ The Peach Kitchen January 27, 2013 at 11:59 pm #

I love having quiche for breakfast!

51. Nami | Just One Cookbook January 27, 2013 at 10:57 pm #

I truly love your quiche! I’m like you – I sometimes fail to make some dish because I tend to put more veggies (disproportional) thinking we need to eat more veggies and more veggies is better. Like some noodle dish, my husband told me “am I eating noodles or veggies (plus noodles)?”. I am like that. So it was nice to read in your post that sometimes we have to just follow the right way first… lol. Saving your recipe and will try the handmade crust too. Your description is ALWAYS very detailed and it’s great for someone who’s new to make your recipe. Very easy to follow and I can trust your recipe! Wish I have it already in my house… :)

• mj January 29, 2013 at 2:05 pm #

Nami – you certainly made my day, week, month with you comments!!! One of the reasons I started my blog was to help teach new cooks how to cook and remove the intimidation factor. So as a teacher and instructional developer I try to make the instructions easy to understand; therefore, to read your comment put a huge smile on my face.The “trust” statement just made the smile even bigger. :)
      Your comment about pasta and veggies – Bobby has said the same thing about my pasta dishes!!! LOL

52. Nisa Homey January 27, 2013 at 10:13 pm #

Love the golden finish….i have been wanting to try a crust with olive oil instead of butter and now I think I am ready to give it a try…thanks MJ.

• mj January 29, 2013 at 1:59 pm #

Thanks Nisa! You really should try the olive oil crust. I’m a true believer!

53. Angie@Angie's Recipes January 27, 2013 at 10:07 pm #

This savoury pie looks really wholesome with chard! I love it for the lunch. (I am trying so dang hard not to consume carbs in dinner time)

54. Terra January 27, 2013 at 9:21 pm #

Quiche is my favorite breakfast, lunch, and dinner dish. I love that you added swiss chard and leeks, they would be beautiful, and a great flavor addition! Hugs, Terra

55. Debra January 27, 2013 at 6:38 pm #

I have got to get some more chard replanted. I think mine actually got too hot in our hoop house. Go figure. I was just rereading “Lunch in Paris” by Elizabeth Bard and I was reminded that she learned to spread mustard on the crust before pouring in the ingredients. I have never tried that but might using your recipe here. (Some things just can’t be made healthier and still be palatable!) :)

• mj January 29, 2013 at 1:58 pm #

Thanks Debra! Oh I love the idea of the mustard on the crust! I’ll have to try it next time. In reference to your last comment – Agree!!! Ice cream made with skim milk – NOT! :)

56. ChgoJohn January 27, 2013 at 5:38 pm #

Whenever I come upon a great quiche recipe, such as the one you created here, I wonder why I’ve not made one in ages. Yours looks so good, MJ, and is perfectly cooked. I bet the mix of chard with leeks and combined with the cheeses worked beautifully together.

• mj January 29, 2013 at 1:56 pm #

Thanks John! I make quiche a lot more now that I’m getting great eggs! The flavor is awesome!

57. Tessa January 27, 2013 at 5:08 pm #

Gorgeous quiche! Chard and leeks are a wonderful combination!

58. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles January 27, 2013 at 1:56 pm #

I love that you used Swiss chard in this quiche MJ – I use chard quite a bit in preference to kale which I continue to find overly fibrous and tough – the health benefits of chard are equally impressive. Well, no intimidation factor here. This is a beauty and your milk to cream proportions sound bang on to me for achieving that creamy tasting balance. The texture looks perfect too in your sliced shot (and that golden finish on the top – wow!). Any room for me at the lunch table? :)

• mj January 29, 2013 at 1:55 pm #

Come on down Kelly! We can always make room at the table! :) I agree about kale vs. chard. I save the kale for soups or massaged salads which I love! I think the golden finish as to do with the eggs. We buy our eggs from my SIL’s co-worker who raises chickens and sells to family, friends, and at the grower’s market. Her chickens are free-range and eat organic feed so the yolks are a gorgeous orange and the flavor is awesome!

59. Jane January 27, 2013 at 1:52 pm #

That crust looks amazing! I love quiche too … although my husband does say “real men don’t eat quiche” he eats it too! lol! I love the combination of cheeses!

• mj January 29, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

Thanks Jane! Yep – Bobby says the same thing every time I make one, but he still eats it and wants more! :)

60. Michelle@SimplifyLiveLove January 27, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

Yum! I’m visiting a friend who made a wonderful quiche a couple of days ago! I got her recipe but I’ll save this one, too. :-)

• mj January 29, 2013 at 1:49 pm #

Thanks Michelle!

61. john@kitchenriffs January 27, 2013 at 1:29 pm #

I agree that you really do need some fat in quiche, otherwise it tastes a bit flat (even with all the fat in the cheese). I often use just whole milk, but upping the fat content with a bit of half & half is probably a good idea. Anyway, nice recipe! Swiss chard and leeks combine so well together, and they must be particularly good in a quiche. Good stuff – thanks.

• mj January 29, 2013 at 12:56 pm #

Thanks John! I’ve made quiche with just whole milk before and I really prefer the half&half combo better. Better texture.

62. The Wimpy Vegetarian January 27, 2013 at 1:14 pm #

I love this lightened version of quiche, especially with the swiss chard. And I’ve been wanting to try crust made with olive oil instead of butter – thanks for the reminder of this!

• mj January 29, 2013 at 12:55 pm #

Thanks Susan! I’m definitely sold on the olive oil crust!

63. CCU January 27, 2013 at 1:07 pm #

What an incredible quiche my friend, looks like it is professionally made :D

CCU

• mj January 29, 2013 at 12:54 pm #

Well, that’s a really nice thing to say! Thanks! :)

1. Swiss Chard Calzone Recipe | MJ's Kitchen - February 27, 2014

[…] For another vegetarian meal made with Swiss chard, check out my Swiss Chard and Leek Quiche. […]

2. You Are Our Squash-shine! | Greenling Dallas - June 18, 2013

[...] This weekend I have family in town, so I’m cooking to impress! I like this recipe for Swiss Chard and Leek quiche because she includes lots of helpful hints about good quiche ratios, substitutions, etc. I’ll [...]

3. Swiss Chard and Leek Quiche | bakingbandit - June 7, 2013