Swiss Chard Leek Quiche

A slice of Swiss chard and leek quiche

For years I was intimidated by quiche because I was always trying to make it too healthy.  I used skim milk, too few eggs, and too many vegetables.  Therefore, my quiches were always runny, thin and tasted like sauteed vegetables with scrambled eggs.  And no – I never followed a recipe, but I have gotten better at that over the years. :) So after many failed quiches, I did decide to follow a recipe and made a beautiful quiche with lots of eggs, heavy cream and cheese.  I finally understood what made a quiche work:  great vegetable/meat ingredients (but not too many), a tasty and light crust, and the right proportion of eggs to cream to milk.  At this point I started working my way toward a healthier quiche.

The base of ingredients for this quiche recipe is my standard.  I use an amazingly easy and tasty crust that I found at Food.com, and local free range eggs.  The ratio of eggs to cream/milk is 4 eggs to 1 ¼ cups liquid. So with a great crust and the perfect egg and cream/milk mixture, all I need now are a couple of tasty vegetables and possibly a little meat, and then the cheese.  In this quiche I used leeks and Swiss chard with a sharp provolone and Romano cheese (our favorite); however, you could use pretty much any vegetable, meat, and cheese that you have on hand.  See Kitchen Notes for some ideas.

A Swiss chard and leek quiche

A slice of leek and Swiss chard quiche

The crust’s flour – Like my basic quiche recipe, the crust recipe has gone through many different versions.  I’ve tried lots of different flours and flour combinations and have found that the best flour to use is pastry flour.  The texture is perfect. However, bread flour and all purpose flours work “almost” as well; therefore, I use one of those if I don’t have pastry flour. For a crust with a little more grain to it, substitute 1/4 cup whole wheat or spelt for 1/4 cup of the pastry flour. I didn’t like any crust in which I used brown rice flour as part or all of the flour.  These crusts were hard and crunchy – not something I want in a quiche crust.

The crust oil and seasoning – I love to use garlic infused oil as part or all of the oil, but that should come as no surprise. A little spice and/or herbs in the crust is also quite nice.  What you use depends on the quiche ingredients. About 1/4 tsp. of dried oregano in the crust works with almost any quiche.

The milk/cream mixture – My standard mixture is half and half with 2% milk.  However, I have used whipping cream or heavy cream with milk as well, mainly because that’s what was in the fridge. When I use heavy cream, I reduce the cream to 1/2 cup and increase the milk to 3/4 cup – still trying to keep that fat content down.

The ratio of eggs to milk/cream mixture – For  9″ quiche, 4 eggs with 1 ¼ cups milk/cream yields a pretty big quiche with the egg/cream mixture rising about the crust. If your pan is smaller, you can reduce the number of eggs to 3, but then you should reduce the cream to 1/2 cup and keep the milk at 1/2 cup.

The ingredients – I usually pick two main ingredients and adjust the seasoning to complement.  Of course, I’ll always add a little garlic.  Some of our favorite combinations are Swiss chard and leeks, leeks and mushrooms, crab meat and spinach, turkey mushroom, green chile and turkey, smoked salmon and asparagus, and artichoke and bacon.  The possibilities are endless.  Just don’t be tempted to pile it on too high. Too many vegetables or meat can add additional moisture that keeps the egg mixture from setting and produces a runny quiche.  Believe me – I know this to be true!

The cheese – I always add two different cheeses.  Notice in this recipe I just say “sharp cheese”.  That’s because I’ve used sharp cheddar, real Italian provolone, and asiago and they all were fabulous.  The second cheese is almost always Pecorino Romano. The sharp, harder cheeses allow me to keep the amount of cheese at a reasonable level. Just choose the cheese or cheeses that best fits the ingredients and that you like the flavor of.

Normally we just eat quiche, but sometimes I’ll add a small side salad with a fruit of some kind like orange, apple or dried cranberries.  One quiche provides Bobby and I with two meals.

For another vegeSwiss Chard Calzonetarian meal made with Swiss chard, try my Swiss Chard Calzone.

This Swiss Chard and leek quiche recipe was shared with the following blog hops:

Hearth and Soul, Wonderful Food Wednesday, Weekend Potluck, Foodie Friday, Carole’s Food on Friday, and featured at Bizzy’s Recipe Box
Hearth & Soul Hop

Tags: , , , ,

101 Responses to “Swiss Chard Leek Quiche”

1. Carole April 19, 2013 at 8:02 pm #

Another lovely one MJ!. Thanks for linking in. Cheers

2. Chaya March 19, 2013 at 8:20 am #

This is a star dish and I love it. I don’t like using swiss chard because it is such a dirty vegetable but it is also delicious so I occasionally put it into recipes. This looks like a recipe worth cleaning veggies for. Thanks for linking to the Recipe Box. This is being featured, this week

• mj March 20, 2013 at 11:11 am #

Thanks Chaya! We eat a lot of Swiss chard in this house, but since my husband does all of cleaning and chopping of it, I don’t notice that it’s a dirty vegetable. His never commented about that. Thanks for featuring it!

3. Michelle @ Greedy Gourmet March 8, 2013 at 6:19 am #

Most diet recipes repel me. Understandably, there are some people who need do lay off the fat or meat but who wants to eat a low-fat quiche? Not me. I’d rather eat a slice of this quiche and go for a long, long walk to work it off.

4. Carole Tabb March 3, 2013 at 11:41 pm #

Best quiche I’ve ever made; all friends agreed. I used rainbow chard with sliced mushrooms, finely diced onions & 1/2c cream with 3/4c milk. Absolutely outstanding & thanx so very much!

• mj March 4, 2013 at 7:18 am #

Carole – I am thrilled that you tried and loved this quiche recipe! Your combination of ingredients sounds perfect! I do a mushroom leek, but I don’t remember if I’ve done a mushroom chard. Sounds good! Thank you so much for your comment. You made my day! :)

5. April @ The 21st Century Housewife February 25, 2013 at 1:41 pm #

This is a wonderful quiche, and I love how full of wholesome ingredients it is. Your notes on pastry are really helpful, and I totally agree, sharp cheese is the way forward. You can definitely use less but still get lots of flavour. Thank you for sharing this delicious post with the Hearth and Soul hop. I’m featuring it in my post this week.

6. Diane Balch February 24, 2013 at 2:46 pm #

So funny you sound like me and quiche. I used to make a tofu one… it was super healthy but no were near as delicious as quiche with cream in it. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us on foodie friday.

7. Melnie Goad February 20, 2013 at 9:04 am #

My husband loves quiche. I’m pinning this one.

8. Mary Hartley February 16, 2013 at 7:53 pm #

Hi MJ! I made your quiche for Dinner tonight and it was perfect! I used whole wheat pastry flour, so the crust was not as tender as it could have been, otherwise wonderful! Mark loved it too! Hi to Bob! Love you, Mary

• mj February 17, 2013 at 11:36 am #

Mary – it’s always wonderful hearing from you! You made my day Girl! I’m so glad that you and Mark like the quiche! It’s always great getting such wonderful feedback and knowing that people are actually making my recipes. Thanks!!!!! Hugs to you both and miss seeing you! Love – MJ

9. Swathi February 12, 2013 at 11:56 am #

Delicious, Love this as breakfast, thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul blog hop.

10. Sissi February 6, 2013 at 8:39 am #

I have just popped in to say I made a quiche yesterday. I kept on thinking about this beauty and since I always have a sheet of puff pastry… It was not the traditional Quiche Lorraine, but as usually whatever I found in the fridge. Thank you for the inspiration!

• mj February 6, 2013 at 8:43 pm #

Thanks Sissi! I’m thrilled that I inspired you to make a quiche! Love the idea of using puff pastry!

11. fati's recipes February 6, 2013 at 6:31 am #

Awh. This looks nice, but I still struggle to like quiches. I just have a fear of really eggy-egginess. I don’t mind the taste of eggs, but just when it’s really eggy… Perhaps trying something really flavoursome like this might change my mind.

12. Liz February 6, 2013 at 5:57 am #

What a perfect quiche, MJ! I love how you lightened it up without compromising the taste!

13. Tanja@tanjascookingcorner February 4, 2013 at 10:19 am #

Chard and leeks are a wonderful combination! A gorgeous looking quiche! I also use olive oil instead of butter whenever I can :)

14. Asmita February 4, 2013 at 10:10 am #

WOW MJ!
    This looks so professional. I would love to dig into that.

15. Amanda@ChewTown February 3, 2013 at 9:37 pm #

That definitely is one beautiful looking quiche! Great kitchen notes as always – makes it very easy for those trying to recreate.

16. Sanjeeta kk February 2, 2013 at 10:07 am #

Even I am looking for healthy and egg free quiche which s not runny…have tried a few and got success also, but still there is something missing in it. I hate the eggy quiche…love your base and the veggie combo, MJ!

17. mj February 2, 2013 at 9:19 am #

Thanks Helene! The color of this quiche comes for the wonderful eggs I buy. My SIL’s coworker raises free-range, organically fed chicken, so I buy all my eggs from her. They are wonderful in flavor and have beautiful orange yolks! Oh – you really need to try the olive oil. For a savory dish like quiche, it’s perfect! Have a great weekend!

18. Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb February 2, 2013 at 6:50 am #

So pretty MJ! Your swiss chard and leek quiche looks like as if you have added turmeric powder but you haven’t, somehow its pretty yellow. =D I love yellow effect quiche (I guess you know that already). Interesting that you used olive oil instead of butter. I never dared to use oil instead of butter while making the short crust.

19. cakewhiz February 1, 2013 at 10:40 am #

i have always liked eating quiche but surprisingly never made one myself. i was sadly under the impression that it’s very complicated but looking at your instructions has me thinking: i can pull this off ;)

btw, your pictures are so professional and beautiful!

• mj February 2, 2013 at 9:18 am #

Thanks Darlin for your nice comments!!! I also prolonged making quiche for years thinking it was complicated. But I was quite wrong. It’s as easy as making a soup. Anyone can do it! :)

20. Michi February 1, 2013 at 3:56 am #

I’ve recently bought over a dozen fresh eggs, so there have been plenty of French omelettes and tortilla’s españolas, but quiche is my favorite egg recipe!! I’ll have to try this one out tomorrow!

• mj February 1, 2013 at 8:48 am #

Thanks Michi! Fresh eggs are a must!!! That’s why this quiche is almost orange! :) I hope you enjoy your quiche!

21. Cucina49 January 31, 2013 at 11:15 am #

MJ–that’s a beautiful quiche, and clearly your years of refining your recipe have paid off. It’s something my mother made every year at the holidays, and I’ve never tried it myself. When I do, I’ll use this as a reference.

• mj February 1, 2013 at 8:47 am #

Thanks Cucina! Oh it’s much more than a holiday dish! You really need to try it. It’s not hard to make. Come together quickly, then just bakes.

22. Giulietta | Alterkitchen January 31, 2013 at 9:38 am #

I love quiches, and the combination between swiss chard and leek seems tasty to me. Love it!

Have a nice week-end, my dear :)

Giulia

• mj February 1, 2013 at 8:46 am #

Thanks Giulia!! You have a great weekend as well!

23. Katerina January 31, 2013 at 4:44 am #

Oh, how much I would love a piece of this quiche right now my friend! I cannot get my eyes off of this!

24. Sissi January 31, 2013 at 4:04 am #

Lovely quiche, MJ. It looks so bright and green, I almost feel as if it was spring! Actually the traditional quiche lorraine (some French people refuse to call anything quiche unless it’s quiche lorraine, otherwise it’s a tart) doesn’t contain any cheese in the cream and egg mixture, so it’s not obligatory… (As for the eggs, unless you have health problems, recently doctors keep on saying you can eat as much as one egg every day at least). I love the olive oil crust (it’s so rare to see thin crust on US blogs… and I love thin tart /quiche crust). I do just like you: I mix milk with cream in savoury tarts/quiches.
    I’m so happy to see finally someone put “pecorino romano” and not just “romano” in the ingredients… While talking, no Italian calls this cheese “romano”, but “pecorino” (romano is not important really… especially since most of the cheese is produced in Sardegna not Rome region ;-) ), but I have seen it called “romano” so many times on US blogs, I started to wonder if it’s not an American copy ;-)
    You have made me crave quiche lorraine… I haven’t had it for ages!

• mj February 1, 2013 at 8:46 am #

Thanks Sissi! Very interesting that the only quiche in Europe is quiche lorraine. Glad I’m not in Europe. I definitely would have made a faux pas. :) I’m with you as to a thin crust. I much prefer thin crusts because I don’t want it to be the dominating texture and flavor of the dish. It just holds it in place. As to pecorino romano, I have to admit that I get lazy sometimes and drop the pecorino. After reading a discussion on G+ the other day about “bleu cheese” vs. “blue cheese” I decided I need to do it right or not at all. I am an educator afterall. :)
      Well if you haven’t had a quiche in ages, it’s time to change that!!! Have a great weekend!

• Sissi February 4, 2013 at 7:49 am #

Don’t worry! Only rare French purists (those from Lorraine region especially ;-) ) say so! Otherwise, everyone makes quiches with whatever they want.
        You see, for me to say “romano” instead of pecorino would be like saying “reggiano” instead of “parmiggiano”… I am sometimes very stubborn and try not to follow other people’s mistakes (I could write a whole book about how badly some dishes are pronounced by the French and even when they now how to pronounce, they follow the general flow).

• Sissi February 4, 2013 at 7:49 am #

“KNOW how to pronounce” of course, sorry for the typo :-(

25. Joanna @ Chic & Gorgeous Treats January 30, 2013 at 11:24 pm #

I love leeks whether stir fry, or use them in soup. This I must try. I have not made quiche before, lets just say ever. I bookmarked a lot of savoury recipes recently and have tons to try out. This is going in my list too. Btw, this quiche looks perfect! ♥ Jo

• mj February 1, 2013 at 8:40 am #

Thanks Joanna! WOW! I’m really surprised to read that you’ve never made a quiche! You make such wonderful dishes! You really need to try one. You’ll love it!

26. Carolyn Jung January 30, 2013 at 10:04 pm #

Quiche may not be the most trendy dish these days, but it’s still a classic. After all, you can’t go wrong with an eggy custard in a flaky crust.

• mj February 1, 2013 at 8:39 am #

Thanks Carolyn! I never have been very trendy – just ask my husband. :) When I like a food, I’ll eat it even if it is old-fashioned and I guess the quiche is something I’ll be eating for a long time because we do love them! Kind of like my bluejeans and t-shirts. My mother asked me the other day if I would ever stop wearing them now that I’m approaching six decades. Nope! :)

27. Lori Lynn January 30, 2013 at 4:12 pm #

That is perfection MJ!
    We love leeks!
    LL

28. Soni January 30, 2013 at 10:17 am #

This looks gorgeous! I love the fact that this is a lighter version and yet seems like the perfect Quiche! The Swiss Chard sounds fantastic in this recipe.Great meal idea for these winter days :)

• mj February 1, 2013 at 8:35 am #

Thanks Soni! It is quite comforting on a cold day!

1. Swiss Chard Calzone Recipe | MJ's Kitchen - February 27, 2014

[…] For another vegetarian meal made with Swiss chard, check out my Swiss Chard and Leek Quiche. […]

2. You Are Our Squash-shine! | Greenling Dallas - June 18, 2013

[...] This weekend I have family in town, so I’m cooking to impress! I like this recipe for Swiss Chard and Leek quiche because she includes lots of helpful hints about good quiche ratios, substitutions, etc. I’ll [...]

3. Swiss Chard and Leek Quiche | bakingbandit - June 7, 2013