New Mexico Green Chile Stew

Green Chile Stew

A little over a year ago I posted my Easy Green Chile Stew, a quick little stew with a few ingredients and one that can be made and ready to eat in less than an hour. Since then I’ve had several requests to post our regular Green Chile Stew, so here it is.

Compared to my other stew, this one replaced ground beef with a sirloin steak cut into bite size pieces. I know, some of you might be screaming – pork! Well, having lived in New Mexico for almost 40 years and having eaten green chile stew with pork, beef, ground beef, chicken, and no meat at all, I can honestly say, that we prefer beef to pork.  For any green chile stew, the star of the show is the chile, so as long as you use New Mexico chile, the protein is your own personal preference.

In addition to the sirloin, this New Mexico green chile stew uses potatoes and tomatoes in place of the beans I use in my easy stew, making this a hearty and quite healthy pot of stew. Because it’s a “green chile” stew, it uses a lot of roasted, peeled and chopped green chile. It takes a little longer to make than my “easy” stew, but its flavors and richness are hard to beat, making it well worth the extra effort.

In New Mexico green chile stew is a traditional holiday dish. You can’t go to a holiday party without seeing a big pot of stew simmering on the stovetop.  For Christmas eve we usually make either a pot of stew or posole’ but it just didn’t happen this year. So this weekend we were both craving this stew and Bobby got to cooking.  The timing was perfect because a cold front moved into New Mexico and a hot and spicy pot of stew warmed us up inside and out. For those of you needing some serious warming up, this is the dish.

If you aren’t familiar with posole’, also spelled pozole’, then you need to check out Vianney’s Pozole’ Rojo over at Sweet Life.  Posole’ is a Mexican stew made with pork, hominy and chile. Another delicious stew that’s perfect for cold winter days.

Green Chile Stew

Bowl of New Mexico Green Chile Stew

Cook time – As with any soup or stew, this will be better the next day or a few hours later.  Bobby usually makes this in the afternoon, then lets it come to room temperature.  When he reheats it for supper the flavors of the ingredients have melded yielding a rich tasting stew.

The meat – Many green chile stews call for pork, but once we tried it with beef, we were hooked.  I save the pork for posole’.  If you don’t eat beef, you can easily substitute pork, chicken, or turkey. If you don’t eat meat, then you can make the vegetarian version described below.

The chile – This is a New Mexico chile stew; therefore, the best chile is New Mexico green chile or similar varieties.  To read more about the varieties of New Mexico green chile, read my green chile post.  We usually roast, peel and chop our green chile in the fall, then freeze for the winter.  If we run out (which we usually do), we are lucky enough to have plenty of sources for chopped green chile here in Albuquerque. My favorite source is the 56 ounce bucket from the Frontier restaurant.  I’ve listed several sources of New Mexico green chile below.

The tomatoes – The recipe calls for crushed tomatoes, but you can use diced tomatoes or a combination of crushed and diced.  We usually use canned tomatoes, but frozen or fresh work fine. No need to drain.

Vegetarian version – Because the primary flavor of this stew comes from the chile, it’s very easy to substitute the meat and chicken stock with vegetarian alternatives.  For the protein element, pinto beans work best and the liquid can be either vegetable broth or water.

Toppings – Toppings such as cheese, sour cream, or chopped onion can be used if you choose.  Bobby adds cheese sometimes, but I like mine without toppings.  A warm flour tortilla with a little butter is perfect.

Calming the burn – Most of the time the chile is so hot that my mouth is on fire after eating a bowl and I need sometimes to kill the burn.  I have found two things that work great: milk, and honey, but not together.  My favorite it to drizzle a little honey on a piece of tortilla.  It kills the heat and gives me that bite of sweetness that I love at the end of a meal.  You could also spread real butter on a flour tortilla. That helps as well.

Enjoy!

Sources of New Mexico green chile

Recipes with New Mexico green chile

Recipes with New Mexico red chile

This Green Chile Stew recipe was shared with the following blog hops:  Wonderful Food Wednesday, Food on Friday .

This Green Chile Stew was featured in an article in The Huffington Post, February 4, 2013 and again on September 25, 2013. It was also featured  in the Wonderful Food Wednesday Blog Hop.

WFW-button2

Tags: , , ,

81 Responses to “New Mexico Green Chile Stew”

1. Jodee Weiland December 6, 2013 at 9:30 pm #

MJ, saw this recipe featured on Huffpost Taste following the article, “25 Food Things Only A New Mexican Would Understand.” It was one of the 17 recipes listed by them under Green Chile Recipes! How exciting for you,and what a a great choice on their part! I’m so happy for you, because your recipes are some of my personal favorites. Congratulations!!!!

• mj December 7, 2013 at 7:39 pm #

Jodee, that was so nice of your to drop by and leave such a sweet comment! I didn’t know about the article until you left the comment, so thanks! How exciting! Thanks so much Darlin!

2. Donna October 17, 2013 at 7:21 am #

Hello MJ! I was recently in New Mexico and bought almost a pound of freshly roasted Hatch Chilies. I live in Canada and was able to keep them refridgerated for most of the week on our return drive home, however, we did have 2 nights with no fridge in our hotel rooms. The chilies were kept in a cooler bag with frozen, then near frozen bottles of water…but by the time we came home there were just cool. It has been 1.5 weeks since I bought them. I was planning on making your stew this evening, but am worried my chilies may not be safe. i have been reading that they should be frozen right away or used within a week to ensure botulism does not develop. In your opinion, should I use them? Would boiling them in a pressure cooker eradicate any bacteria? Thank you! So hoping I can use this recipe with my chilies!!!

• mj October 17, 2013 at 8:24 am #

Donna, THanks for contacting me! I’ll send you a direct email. Cheers, MJ

3. Jodee Weiland September 17, 2013 at 7:44 pm #

This stew looks delicious! So glad I dropped by and found this recipe with the fall days coming soon! Can’t wait to try this recipe!

• mj September 17, 2013 at 10:02 pm #

Jodee, thanks for dropping by! This is a wonderful fall and winter dish! Hope you get a chance to try it.

4. Kerrie @ Family Food and Travel February 2, 2013 at 4:42 pm #

Love this recipe! We are featuring it this week on Wonderful Food Wednesday. I hope you’ll come by and link up some other fantastic recipes.

Kerrie

5. Lori Lynn January 30, 2013 at 4:14 pm #

Sounds delicious.
    Love the light in your first photo.
    LL

6. Debbie @ Easy Natural Food January 25, 2013 at 4:05 pm #

That looks delicious! Love the combination of flavors, and interesting choice with the sirloin, I would never have thought to use it in this way, but I bet it’s tasty!

7. wok with ray January 24, 2013 at 8:22 pm #

This is perfect for these chilly days that we’ve been having. I love the chunks of steak that is in this stew and all the veggies. You must be pretty spoiled with Bobby with this soup, hmmm? :)

8. Allen @ Cook! Bake! Share! January 24, 2013 at 9:41 am #

Thank you for this green chile stew recipe! My wife and I love green chiles (especially Hatch green chiles) and can’ t wait to make this! Happy New Year! Allen.

9. Food Jaunts January 21, 2013 at 10:14 am #

Oh super hearty and delicious looking. It’s 11 degrees here with the windchill and I’d love a bowl right now!

10. Nami | Just One Cookbook January 20, 2013 at 10:55 pm #

Oh yes! I do remember your other recipe with the video! With the sirloin, potato, and tomato in the stew, I already love this flavor. But I had no choice but adapting to less spicy…but other than that, I love stews and soups and New Mexico style sounds so good!

11. David Scott January 20, 2013 at 11:48 am #

That looks great! However, for extra flavor and warmth, I always add a little powdered green chile from Hatch, New Mexico to my green chile stew. To get the authentic stuff I order securely online from the Chimayo Chile Brothers in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

• mj January 20, 2013 at 12:23 pm #

Thanks David! I’ve added Chimayo Chile Brothers as a source! I have never used green chile powder before, red chie yes, but not green chile. I guess it’s because I have such a great source to the chopped chiles. I must try it some time. Thanks for the comment!

12. CJ at Food Stories January 19, 2013 at 2:01 pm #

Oh boy – I can easily see this vegan-ized with pinto beans – Yum, Yum :-)

13. Minnie@thelady8home January 19, 2013 at 10:09 am #

Coriander is the most frequently used spice in Indian cooking, and it enhances the flavors like no other. Love the combo of coriander and oregano and green chili. Looks delicious!!!

• mj January 20, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

Thanks Minnie! I love coriander too and use it in a lot of southwestern dishes.

14. City of Santa Fe January 17, 2013 at 11:42 am #

Delicious article, MJ. What a great way to stay warm during these cold winter months! Green chile stew is a traditional Santa Fe dish and it’s interesting to see how everyone make their own because no two recipes are the same. Needless to say, we will definitely be trying yours!

• mj January 17, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

Thanks SF! I know what you mean – every green chile stew I eat is different. I have two recipes myself and I thoroughly enjoy them both. I hope you get to try this one. Thanks for stopping by to say hello!

15. Zsuzsa January 17, 2013 at 11:23 am #

Very homey Peach Lady. It’s cold here and everywhere I look is snow. This could warm me up from the inside. Thank you for posting it I feel warmer just looking at the photos.

• mj January 17, 2013 at 7:59 pm #

Thanks Zsuzsa! I bet all of that snow is gorgeous! Stay warm!

16. Purabi Naha January 16, 2013 at 11:27 am #

This looks amazing! I love stews too, so I have to give this a try. Truly a comfort food!

17. Giulietta | Alterkitchen January 16, 2013 at 11:05 am #

I love stews, but I never tried a green chile one… time to try? ;)
    Hugs

18. Katerina January 16, 2013 at 9:16 am #

This is such a hearty and comforting chili! I also love how colors are combined in this one!

19. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef January 16, 2013 at 6:10 am #

I think I’ll save this one for a day that’s not quite as hot as today or tomorrow. :) It looks wonderful.

20. Christine January 15, 2013 at 7:39 pm #

This looks wonderful. Perfect for a cold rainy night.

21. Terra January 15, 2013 at 4:32 pm #

I am in Chicago for work, and it is chilly! I need a big pot of this lovely stew tonight, it looks fantastic! Oh I love pozole’, I tried it in Tucson:-) Gorgeous, Hugs, Terra

• mj January 15, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

Thanks Terra! If this cold spell does go away, I’ll be making a pot of posole’ soon! Haven’t had any this year, so I’m starting to miss it.

22. Anne@FromMySweetHeart January 15, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

MJ…..what a great version of chili/stew! I love that you added chunks of sirloin and potatoes! I cannot think of anything more comforting on a cold blustery day! And as always….I am such a huge fan of your amazing and beautiful photography! : )

• mj January 15, 2013 at 7:50 pm #

And as always – thanks you for the nice comments Anne! We love the chunky style stew as well.

23. Reese@SeasonwithSpice January 15, 2013 at 1:58 pm #

Yes, stew time! Bobby’s green chili stew looks perfect for winter days, especially in the Land of 10,000 Lakes. I love toasting coriander seeds and the smell of it. Absolutely a great recipe!

24. Treat and Trick January 15, 2013 at 10:44 am #

Such a flavorful stew, love the addition of coriander seeds in it, Great photos as always……

25. Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb January 15, 2013 at 9:15 am #

Hi MJ!

No I don’t know what posole is, need to check that now.

What are those New Mexico Chilles like? Spicy hot or rather mellow. Any idea what I could use as substitute. The recipe really sounds nice warming and I especially like the addition of spices here. thank you for sharing!

• mj January 15, 2013 at 7:48 pm #

Thank you Helene! NM green chiles can range from mellow to really, really hot! When you buy you sometimes get the choice of mild, medium or hot. I get medium but that doesn’t guarantee they’re not hot. :) I’m not familiar with the types of chiles in your part of the world, but you need to find a meaty chile that can stand up to being roasted over a grill. Do you have anything like that?

26. Karen (Back Road Journal) January 15, 2013 at 7:57 am #

Your green chili stew sounds great! I recently made red pozole with pork…now I’ll be looking for hatch chiles.

27. Soni January 15, 2013 at 6:40 am #

Ooh it looks delicious!Healthy,hearty and wholesome!Perfect for these cold winters :)I have to start trying out your New Mexico dishes soon!They sound so so good :)

28. SeattleDee January 14, 2013 at 11:20 pm #

My taste buds are jumping with joy just reading this recipe. Mmmmm, nothing beats the flavors of the SW.

• mj January 15, 2013 at 7:44 pm #

Thanks Dee! I agree – I love the flavors of the SW!

29. Adora's Box January 14, 2013 at 5:44 pm #

Mj, that just looks and sounds delicious. It’s snowing over here and that i just what we need. I am not an expert on chiles but there is quite a lot of Mediterranean chillies available here that could probably used for this recipe. Definitely a must make soon dish.

30. ChgoJohn January 14, 2013 at 3:53 pm #

Love the use of sirloin chunks instead of ground beef, MJ. The additional texture is always welcome. We’re in the middle of a cold snap, the coldest of the season thus far. I bet some of this chili stew would make a perfect meal right now.

• mj January 15, 2013 at 7:42 pm #

Thanks John! Yep – we’re having a cold snap as well and this stew have been perfect to help warm us up. Stay warm my friend!

31. beyondthepeel January 14, 2013 at 3:50 pm #

This looks like the perfect thing to warm up to on a winters day. Sounds Wonderful MJ.

32. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies January 14, 2013 at 2:57 pm #

How perfect for January–a hearty, spicy stew! I’m going to have to try the vegetarian version. :)

33. Carolyn Jung January 14, 2013 at 11:22 am #

Hatch chilies are one of my fave things about New Mexico. Well, that and the gorgeous blue of the sky there. Only wish I could find those chilies here.

• mj January 15, 2013 at 7:40 pm #

Thanks Carolyn! Yep – chile and blue skies – the greatest things about NM! This year, because of the severe drought, we have been having day after day of blue skies, almost to the point of being boring. :)

34. LinsFood January 14, 2013 at 9:48 am #

Looks good! One to try, I reckon. I’m intrigued to see coriander instead of cumin as the spice. Do you usually use coriander seeds then for your chillis?

• mj January 15, 2013 at 7:39 pm #

Thanks Lins! Actually I use both cumin and coriander in my dishes, but this particular dish is great with just A LOT of coriander. I actually have a cumin-coriander spice mix that I make and keep in the spice drawer. Have a great week!

35. Sissi January 14, 2013 at 9:07 am #

I see that we all need warming dishes at this time of the year! Stews (whatever their origins) are such a perfect, hearty and often healthy solution. Your stew sounds of course very exotic to me and I must seriously start looking for green chile here (maybe at least canned?). I love your appetising, perfect photos!

• mj January 15, 2013 at 7:38 pm #

Thanks Sissi! Yes, the do can NM green chile. I don’t think it’s as good, but if that’s all you can find, then go far it! Any meaty, spicy chile should work with this. Have a great week!

36. Judy @Savoring Today January 14, 2013 at 7:59 am #

My husband would really like this, he loves green chilies and has been asking me to make a pot of pintos and chilies. This sounds heartier and more complex in flavor, so I think a better way to go for him to get his chile fix. :)

• mj January 15, 2013 at 7:36 pm #

Thanks Judy! My easy green chile stew uses pinto and chile, but you’re right – this is heartier and can really warm you us in this cold weather we’re having. Hope he gets his chile fix! :)

37. Angie@Angie's Recipes January 14, 2013 at 2:31 am #

I need this! It’s cold and snowy over here…this would be a perfect lunch.

38. peachy @ The Peach Kitchen January 14, 2013 at 12:19 am #

cut sirloin steaks gives you a little more something to chew at, making the dish more tasty!

39. Raymund January 14, 2013 at 12:11 am #

I love this version better, its chunky!

40. Nisa Homey January 13, 2013 at 9:46 pm #

I would also go for beef rather than pork, MJ as always your recipes are so very inspiring…perfect to get over the winter blues..

• mj January 13, 2013 at 10:26 pm #

Thanks Nisa! You’re right – food like this does help you get over the winter blues! Have a great week!

41. Vance Weldon January 13, 2013 at 6:52 pm #

Mary Jane, your stew, even if Bob made it looks yummy. The East Texas version uses pork roast. Just the thing for cold days.

• mj January 13, 2013 at 10:25 pm #

Thanks Vance! Yes, it is Yummy! We use to make it with pork, but like it better with beef. Of course the chile makes it! :)

42. Yudith @ Blissfully Delicious January 13, 2013 at 6:43 pm #

Oh yum! I can imagine how the green chiles add a nice smokiness to this chili. Looks fantastic MJ! Thanks for sharing. Happy Belated New Year.

• mj January 13, 2013 at 10:24 pm #

Thanks Yudith! Happy New Year to you as well!

43. john@kitchenriffs January 13, 2013 at 5:17 pm #

Looks like a terrific stew! I love New Mexico green chilies (and of course the red ones, too). Interesting to use beef in this – sounds good. And thanks for the list of chile resources! I know and use the Chile Shop, but the others are new to me. Thanks.

• mj January 13, 2013 at 10:23 pm #

Thanks John! Hey – do you remember SuAnne? She was a guest post this past fall and had the cucumber salad with smoked salmon? Well she IS Ms. Chile Shop! She and her husband were the original creators/owners and then sold it a few years ago. Glad to hear that you have used it!!!

44. Tessa January 13, 2013 at 2:14 pm #

Looks delicious! Perfect for a cold winter day!

45. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles January 13, 2013 at 1:19 pm #

Funny enough, I just recently discovered pozole and posted a pozole chili to my FB page yesterday! (talk about blogopathy ;-)).

I love your New Mexican influenced stews MJ – and this one with its plentiful green chile and cubed sirloin sounds especially delicious. I often asked when dining at Mexican restaurants whether they used sliced or ground meat – I’m not sure why exactly but I prefer the chunkier, whole pieces. This looks really wonderful – hearty, warming and perfect, I dare say, for football (or hockey) ;-).

• mj January 13, 2013 at 10:21 pm #

Thanks Kelly! I’m with you – I prefer the bite of meat rather than the ground meat. Hockey? What’s that? (Just Kidding – LOL)

46. Jen @JuanitasCocina January 13, 2013 at 1:03 pm #

Now this is what I’m talkin’ about.

I’m due for a visit home. Think I could swing by? ;)

• mj January 13, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

Come on by!!!!!

47. The Wimpy Vegetarian January 13, 2013 at 12:58 pm #

A wonderful hearty chili for a winter day! Especially a winter day filled with football in our house! I would love to have this cooking on my stove right now. I love all the coriander in it :-)

• mj January 13, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

Thanks Susan! The toasted coriander is a must in this chile! It adds such a richness. Hope you had a great day of football!

48. CCU January 13, 2013 at 12:58 pm #

This looks perfectly warm and delicious :D

Choc Chip Uru

49. Ramona January 13, 2013 at 12:44 pm #

It’s a dreary rainy day…. this stew would warm my belly perfectly. :)

50. Michelle@SimplifyLiveLove January 13, 2013 at 12:42 pm #

Looks and sounds wonderful, MJ!!

1. Green Chile Chicken Mushroom Soup | MJ's Kitchen - February 20, 2014

[…] how did the soup turn out? Well, let me just say that Bobby’s Green Chile Stew now has some real competition. This soup was spicy enough to clear up a head cold, packed with […]

2. Beans In Chili: The Endless Regional American Debate Rages On | Wellness TravelWellness Travel - September 25, 2013

[…] New Mexico’s Green Chile Stew New Mexicans don’t care whether or not there are beans in our chili. We only care that you refer to green chile stew (chile with an ‘e,’ not an ‘i,’ thank you) correctly. Usually made with pork (sometimes beef), New Mexico green chiles, potatoes/beans, etc., this stuff will knock out a hangover or a cold in no time flat. Get this amazing green chile stew recipe from MJ’s Kitchen. […]

3. Beans In Chili: The Endless Regional American Debate Rages On - New 2000 | New 2000 - September 25, 2013

4. Roasted green chile stew. | the usual bliss - September 19, 2013

[…] Roasted Green Chile Stew (adapted from MJ’s Kitchen) […]

5. New Mexico Red Chile | MJ's Kitchen - August 11, 2013

[…] NM Green Chile Stew […]

6. Wonderful Food Wednesday - March 13, 2013

[...] Wifessionals. Our feature this week is from Mj’s Kitchen -  check out this recipe for Green Chili Stew – looks delicious! Be sure to stop by their blog and check out this recipe and lots of [...]

7. Wonderful Food Wednesday #23 - Family Food And Travel - February 5, 2013

[...] feature this week is from Mj’s Kitchen – check out this recipe for Green Chili Stew – looks [...]