Black-eyed Pea Chipotle Dip

Black-eyed Pea Chipotle Dip with chips

Whenever I think of black-eyed peas I remember the time, way back when in grade school, when me and my three older siblings had to shell 5 bushels of black-eyed peas that we had picked at my granddaddy’s farm. Do you know how many peas are in 5 bushels? A lot! By the time we got to the last bushel we were so giddy that we started shooting peas at each other and having contests to see who could shoot a pea from its pod the farthest. Needless to say, the kitchen floor soon became covered with peas.  When our mother came into the kitchen, let’s just say she wasn’t too happy, but we sure were having fun! :)

This black-eyed pea dip is one of those pleasant little surprises you get when you throw a few things together and end up with something very special.  Last week I had some black-eyed peas that I had set aside before making Skippin’ Jenny. On a whim, I threw some of the peas into a blender, added a few other ingredients and pureed it into this dip.  It was so tasty! I ate some with chips and saved the rest for the next day for Bobby. Well, you know how soups are better the next day?  Well, so is this dip! I no longer tasted black-eyed peas with chipotle. All of the ingredients had blended together to provide a very unique and delicious flavor.  It was so good that I used the rest of the peas to make another batch.  I can’t wait to take this dip to a party! But in the meantime, I’m sharing it with you.

It’s easy, it’s quite different, and it is absolutely delicious!

Chips and Dip

The peas – All you need are some cooked black-eyed peas.  Canned peas would work fine. One 14 ounce can is about 1.5 cups. You could also cook up some frozen peas, fresh shelled peas, or dried peas.  I like cooking up large batches of dried peas in a pressure cooking then using them for different dishes.  If you do like dried peas, just cook them in a pressure cooker in water or stock with some salt and pepper.  This simple seasoning allows you to use them for a variety of dishes.

The roasted garlic – If you don’t have roasted garlic, you can always slow cook several cloves in olive oil on the stove top for about 15 minutes.  Just cut the garlic lengthwise into quarters, heat about 1/4 cup of olive oil in a small skillet over a low heat. (You want the oil to cover the garlic.) Let the garlic cook until it starts to turn a light brown and soften.  Remove from the oil and use in the dip.  Use 1/2 tsp of the oil in the dip and save the rest for other dishes.

The chipotle – If you don’t have chipotle powder, you can substitute with one adobo chipotle pepper or one dried chipotle that has been rehydrated in hot water. You might actually start with 1/2 of a pepper depending on your desired heat level.

The blender – I used the blender container attachment for my immersion blender.  It did a great job because it didn’t over puree’ the peas.

When you taste this dip you aren’t going to believe that something so good can be made with so little effort.  I will be making this often.

This Black-eyed Pea Chipotle Dip has been shared with the following blog hops: Katherine Martinelli’s Game Day Hop, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Weekend Potluck, Made With Love Monday, Mom’s Test Meal Monday , Hearth and Soul  .

Tags: , , , ,

79 Responses to “Black-eyed Pea Chipotle Dip”

1. wok with ray December 17, 2013 at 9:45 pm #

I’ve never tried black-eyed pea dip before but it looks so hearty and delicious. This is perfect for this holiday’s entertaining. Have a wonderful week, MJ! :)

2. Michelle @ Greedy Gourmet March 8, 2013 at 5:54 am #

Wonderful idea! My kids love dips and I’m always on the look out for healthy variations.

3. Bill February 4, 2013 at 1:54 pm #

You know I’m a southern boy so anything with black eyed peas is comfort food for me. I love this twist on a southern vegetable with southwestern flavors!

4. Judy @Savoring Today January 31, 2013 at 8:28 am #

MJ, thanks for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop, it is always a treat to see your delicious recipes linked up with us. :)

5. Javelin Warrior January 29, 2013 at 9:56 am #

I have to try this dip, MJ! I love black eyed peas but I’ve never tried to turn them into a dip and this sounds marvelous. And it’s easy! As soon as the movers deliver the rest of our stuff so I can use my new apartment kitchen, I’m giving this a go… Thanks so much for sharing…

6. Purabi Naha January 28, 2013 at 1:12 am #

I had never taken black-eyed peas so seriously before, until I stopped by your blog. This looks so stunning and something I am craving for right now!

7. Terra January 27, 2013 at 9:15 pm #

This would be perfect for Super Bowl Sunday! What a fun unique dip, I would have never thought to combine these flavors, but I love it. I just so happen to have a bag of black eyed peas too, YAY! Hugs, Terra

8. Amy (Savory Moments) January 27, 2013 at 7:04 am #

I really love bean dips and have been seeing a lot of black-eyes pea recipes popping up in the food blogs. This looks like a really delicious snack!

9. Rita Bose January 26, 2013 at 8:44 pm #

Wow, MJ ! Looks delicious!

10. LinsFood January 26, 2013 at 2:33 pm #

Lovely, what a lovely change to the usual! So quick and easy too.

11. Sawsan @chef in disguise January 26, 2013 at 1:03 pm #

I love it when yummy recipes are the results of experimentation in the kitchen.
    I think simply recipes with good ingredients are the best and this dip sounds like a blast of flavor

12. Giulietta | Alterkitchen January 26, 2013 at 7:56 am #

A dip?!?! Wonderful! I love dipping tortilla chips, and this dip looks (and must taste) amazing!

13. Kim Bee January 25, 2013 at 10:25 pm #

This dip is sheer perfection. I think my hubby would really love this one.

14. Jen January 25, 2013 at 8:29 pm #

Hey! Long time no visit! I really hope you have been well!!

15. wok with ray January 24, 2013 at 8:25 pm #

Oh, yes! This will be perfect dip for the upcoming game. I like that I can make it a day in advance and flavor gets better. Have a good weekend, MJ! :)

16. Karen (Back Road Journal) January 24, 2013 at 1:16 pm #

I make black-eyed peas for luck on new years day but my husband isn’t crazy about them. I think he will change his mind if he tastes this dip.

17. Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin January 24, 2013 at 11:46 am #

Love how quick and easy this snack is! This dip looks extremely addictive – but it’s also very healthy, so that’s just fine!

18. Nancy/SpicieFoodie January 23, 2013 at 1:21 pm #

What a cute story MJ. I’ve never had to shuck more than a small bowl of peas. Your dip looks incredible and love love the chipotle. I have a small amount of black-eyed peas left and this is the way to use them up. Thanks for sharing!:)

19. Food Jaunts January 23, 2013 at 11:20 am #

You know you’re already speaking my language :) Black eyed peas, garlic, chipotle how could it go wrong? This looks amazing!

20. Katerina January 23, 2013 at 11:13 am #

Beautiful dip! I would love to have a pack of tortillas to just dive in!

21. Hotly Spiced January 23, 2013 at 4:56 am #

I think the lime in this would add a very special touch. What a great bean dip and your childhood memories with peas are fabulous xx

22. Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb January 23, 2013 at 12:09 am #

haha, I can imagine you had fun playing around with the peas. Reminds me a bit of my own childhood memories. =)
    I have never ever made a bean dip, in fact I have never even tastes one. Its soo unusual here and I believe in europe as well. Even though local Indians should be liking this dip since they are all into beans here. I will show your recipe to my mother in law, I bet she will find good use for it as will I. Thanks fro sharing MJ!

• mj January 24, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

thanks Helene! Interesting that bean dips are found in your area. There are definitely a big thing in the states. Have a great weekend!

23. Liz January 22, 2013 at 4:52 pm #

Haha..great childhood memory! This dip sounds fantastic…and definitely healthier than the typical dip! So I can have twice as much, right?

24. Treat and Trick January 22, 2013 at 11:01 am #

Normally I made curry with black eye pea but not dip. This sounds incredible MJ, I need to try it…

25. Dara January 22, 2013 at 9:08 am #

This looks pretty fabulous and healthy. I love black eyed peas but am frustred by a lack of recipe ideas. This one is great.

26. Anne@FromMySweetHeart January 21, 2013 at 9:51 pm #

I love visiting MJ…because I am always learning about ingredients that I haven’t really used before. Can you believe I’ve never had black eyed peas before? But this dip looks absolutely scrumptious! I don’t know if I would have been able to show restraint and save some for Bobby! And if I knew it tasted better the next day….I’d be hiding it somewhere in the back of the fridge! Your pictures, as always…..so so enticing! : )

• mj January 24, 2013 at 10:19 pm #

Thanks Anne! I do find that people who live in the northeast are less likely to have eaten black-eyed peas. So if you can find them, you should give them a try.

27. Swathi January 21, 2013 at 9:16 pm #

I love this dip, healthy and delicious.

28. Richelle January 21, 2013 at 4:15 pm #

Oh my, we are on the same wavelength! I’ve been tooling around with a black eye pea hummus idea for months and the chipotle is a brilliant idea. I will definitely give this a try and report back!

• mj January 21, 2013 at 8:02 pm #

Thanks Richelle! Let me know how you like it if you get a chance to make it.

29. Soni January 21, 2013 at 12:37 pm #

I love black beans but never had it as a dip,but it sounds yummy with the chipotle!!Would love to try it for sure :)

• Soni January 21, 2013 at 12:39 pm #

Oops I meant Black-Eye Peas!Hate this auto correct!Grr…

• mj January 21, 2013 at 7:56 pm #

Thanks Soni! I know what you mean. Auto-correct has gotten me before too. :)

30. Reese@SeasonwithSpice January 21, 2013 at 11:31 am #

I’m all for flavorful bean dips, especially the spicy ones! Black-eyed peas & chipotle dip sounds just right, MJ. Although I still don’t bother much with American football, I am following basketball and so I certainly have the reasons to whip up delicious dips like this for my game day:)

• mj January 21, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

Thanks Reese! Football, basketball, hockey – doesn’t matter. This makes a great dip anytime! I’m a sports playoff person myself. I rarely watch the season of any sport. I figure if I wait until the playoffs that I’m watching the best, so I’ll watch the playoffs of just about any sport. :) Enjoy your basketball!

31. Sanjeeta kk January 21, 2013 at 5:58 am #

A real keeper recipe it is, MJ! I love black eyed beans and use it for making just Indian curries and rice…but a dip with it is such a lovely idea..versatile, healthy and scrumptious treat indeed.

• mj January 21, 2013 at 7:54 pm #

Thanks Sanjeeta! I’ve got black-eyed pea curry on my list of foods to try this year.

32. Hotly Spiced January 21, 2013 at 5:11 am #

I’ve never had a black-eyed pea dip nor have I ever shelled black-eyed peas! What a lovely memory. I love the look of this dip xx

• mj January 21, 2013 at 7:53 pm #

Thanks HS! Believe me, you’re not missing anything for never having shelled black-eyed peas before. :) And yes, it is a fun memory.

33. Raymund January 21, 2013 at 12:19 am #

Bring out the crispy pita chips, it would be nice in this!

• mj January 21, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

Thanks Raymund! Pita chips do work great with this!

34. fati's recipes January 20, 2013 at 9:21 pm #

Chipotle is something we rarely eat in my house. This looks so delicious, I look forward to making it soon.

35. peachy @ The Peach Kitchen January 20, 2013 at 2:51 pm #

I’ve never tried making anything with Black eyed peas but I’ve already seen a lot of recipes for it. I guess it’s time I look for it in at the grocery.

36. Nads January 20, 2013 at 8:37 am #

Hey Babe, What a great idea! I imagine you could use almost any kind of leftover dried beans or peas for this and just add your seasoning. And it’s healthy. Not a dip that is just a bunch of empty calories. I remember we loved bean dip when we were kids, but it was sto-bought. I agree with your readers, this would be perfect for game day. Too bad for all our favorite teams that their season is over.

• mj January 20, 2013 at 9:40 am #

Thanks Nads! How can you go wrong with chipotle, roasted garlic and beans? :) I just happen to have the leftover peas and they turned out better than any bean dip I had ever made. Oh I remember the bean dip out of a can. Yes we did love it then, but I bought some a while back and I have to be honest with you, it just didn’t taste as good. In fact, I didn’t really like it – too salty for one thing. We still have SF remaining but after that – who cares. :) Have a great weekend Darlin!

37. beyondthepeel January 19, 2013 at 4:28 pm #

We make beans dips in our house from time to time and they are super tasty. But I’ll admit I’ve never tried it with black eyed peas. How fantastic and I look forward to trying your recipe out.

• mj January 20, 2013 at 9:36 am #

Thanks Frances! I hope you do get to try it. You’ll love it!

38. Bill January 19, 2013 at 4:14 pm #

Ok. So you knew black eyed pea dip would get this southern boy’s attention! What a great idea! I’m putting this in my rotation of appetizers!!

• mj January 20, 2013 at 9:36 am #

:) Yep – I knew you would love this one! Thanks Bill!

39. Nami | Just One Cookbook January 18, 2013 at 10:48 pm #

Nice, you can make it a day before and the flavor will be better! This kind of recipe is so nice to have for a party. And you can have endless kinds of dips too. I like to have several kinds of dips so I can keep eating chips with different flavors. I still need to try black eyed pea!

• mj January 20, 2013 at 9:35 am #

Thanks Nami! I agree – a party isn’t a party without an assortment of dips. :) This would make an interesting and different tasting addition. It’s different from any other dip I’ve ever made and probably one of the best. Enjoy!

40. ChgoJohn January 18, 2013 at 5:21 pm #

I agree with Judy. This will make a great addition to any game day party. Great, too, that it will taste better if made ahead. One less thing to do just before the guests arrive. Thanks, MJ.

• mj January 20, 2013 at 9:33 am #

Thank you John! The day ahead think does make life a little easier doesn’t it. :)

41. Zsuzsa January 18, 2013 at 5:00 pm #

my party animal relations will love this! :-)

42. The Wimpy Vegetarian January 18, 2013 at 1:17 pm #

I’ve got some dried black-eyed peas I was wondering what to do with. This is perfect for the football weekend coming up! I’m cooking up those peas this afternoon :-)

• mj January 20, 2013 at 9:33 am #

Thanks Susan! I hope you enjoy it!

43. Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen January 18, 2013 at 11:30 am #

I love black eyed peas. It’s nice to see a non-cheese laden idea for a game day snack!

• mj January 20, 2013 at 9:31 am #

Thanks Valerie! Yep – This is definitely one of those dips that you don’t feel guilty about eating.

44. Rathai January 18, 2013 at 9:54 am #

I love black-eyed beans and this dip looks so delicious and flavourful. I wonder why I never thought of making dip with black-eyed beans before? I love the first photo – great focus, DOF and composition.

• mj January 20, 2013 at 9:30 am #

Thanks Rathai! I agree – why did it take this many years to think of using black-eyed peas in a dip? :)

45. Angie@Angie's Recipes January 18, 2013 at 8:17 am #

I can finish the whole bowl! Don’t even need chips, tacos or anything. Have been cooking soya beans with green peas for the dinner and now you have me crave for black-eyed peas!

• mj January 20, 2013 at 9:29 am #

Thanks Angie! Bobby and I finished it off in one sitting with just a few chips. It’s pretty darn good! :) Soy beans with green peas sounds good!

46. john@kitchenriffs January 18, 2013 at 7:43 am #

Wow, this looks terrific! I love black-eyed peas to begin with, and am always looking for new ways to use them. This looks like it has terrific flavor, and is pretty healthy. Exceptionally good stuff – thanks so much.

• mj January 20, 2013 at 9:28 am #

Thanks John! Yep – it’s definitely healthy and goes great with regular chips and baked pita chips.

47. Judy @Savoring Today January 18, 2013 at 6:57 am #

I’m thinking this would be great for a Super Bowl party — I like everything about it, especially the roasted garlic. :) Bookmarked!

• mj January 20, 2013 at 9:26 am #

Thanks Judy! I was thinking about the Super Bowl party myself! Have a great weekend!

48. Tessa January 18, 2013 at 6:31 am #

What a great idea! The flavor of the chipotle and the lime sounds wonderful! This is a must try. Thank you MJ!

• mj January 20, 2013 at 9:25 am #

Thanks Tessa! The difference the lime made was pretty amazing and the chipotle was just a must. :)

49. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles January 18, 2013 at 6:00 am #

Wish I could have been there for the pea fight!! Awesome. With the four of you and my 9 siblings, there could have been some serious black-eyes out there ;-).

This is a delightful and inventive recipe MJ. I appreciate coming across new ingredients for dips and your characteristic New Mexican flare is shining right through in this one – love the chipotle and the roasted garlic – wow! that alone would have me signing up. I have to investigate the chipotle powder angle. I have not come across it here yet but have not specifically looked for it (I tend to use the chiles in adobo sauce but they’re so darn hot that I’d love to use the powder on occasion). This does sound absolutely delicious Mj!

• mj January 20, 2013 at 9:24 am #

With the ten of you we could have made quite a mess not to mention having gotten the job done A LOT faster! :) I’m not sure about Canada but Chipotle powder can be found in any ethnic section of a grocery store here. I get mine at the Mexican market. I agree about chipotle in adobo – they’re pretty hot! Of course the powder can be pretty hot too if you over do it. You have to be careful of not breathing it in. It can choke you. It does me anyway. Thanks for your comments Kelly and hope you’re having a great weekend!

• Kelly @ Inspired Edibles January 21, 2013 at 3:42 pm #

Thanks for the tip about the powder MJ – I will look out for it and you’re right, we sometimes don’t realize how potent these ingredients can be – even on the level of breathing them in (the worst is when I get residual oil on my fingers and then slide my index finger in my eye to remove my contact lenses – OUCH!!).

50. Sissi January 18, 2013 at 5:43 am #

What a wonderful winter dip idea! It looks at least as tempting as Skippin’ Jenny. And the roasted garlic’s addition sounds wonderful. I simply must try to make something similar (although am not sure if I can find black-eyed-peas here).

• mj January 20, 2013 at 9:19 am #

Thanks Sissi! You could use easily substitute the peas with beans like pinto or even black beans. Oh Yum – I bet black beans would be great!

• Sissi January 22, 2013 at 6:41 am #

Thanks for the advice!

51. Ramona January 18, 2013 at 5:37 am #

Just hand me a tortilla… or some pita bread… I’m going in. :) I love a good dip.

PS… 5 bushels of beans…holy cow! Have a great weekend my friend. :)

1. 25 Recipes to Spice Up The Holidays | MJ's Kitchen - December 17, 2013

[…] Black-eye Pea Chipotle Dip […]

2. Orange and Brown Butter Tart - February 27, 2013

[…] where she lovingly prepares her southern and southwestern inspired dishes.  My favorites are her Black Eyed Pea Chipotle Dip, Spicy Pumpkin and Red Chile Soup, and Caramel Apple Pie.  And you don’t want to miss her […]

3. Healthy Recipe Round Up 6 | - February 23, 2013