Sweet Kabocha Pudding

A sweet pudding made from kabocha squash

A few days ago I roasted a Kabocha squash with the intention of making a soup; however, when I tasted the pulp it was so sweet, I decided that I wanted to make a dessert.  But what kind of dessert do you make with squash? As I was tasting the squash and thinking about how creamy it was, the squash spoke to me….pudding.  Oh how I love pudding!  So there you have it. Kabocha squash pudding was born.

The main ingredients for this pudding are squash pulp and almond milk. A little maple syrup is used as the sweetener and agar as the gelling agent.  Because I used agar, the texture isn’t the same as pudding made with eggs and milk, but it is still very creamy and smooth.  Bobby grabbed a pudding from the fridge thinking it was butterscotch. He took a couple of bites and then said “I have no idea what I’m eating, but it’s damn good!”  Need I say more? :)

Because I only used 1 cup of pulp to make this pudding, I still had 2 cups left to make a small batch of Kabocha and Fennel Soup. A completely different use of the Kabocha and oh so good!

Spices for Kabocha pudding

Pudding made with kabocha squash

Kabocha Squash – I discovered Kabocha a couple of years ago and fell immediately in love.  It’s much sweeter than most winter squash and is definitely creamier.  Because it is so sweet, I only needed 3 Tbsp. of maple syrup.  Once blended with the almond milk, it had the perfect consistency for pudding.  As far as substituting another winter squash, I can’t think of one that is sweet enough for this particular recipe. I’m sure other squash could be used, but you would need to add more sweetener.

Almond Milk – I always have Vanilla Almond milk in the fridge because it’s the milk we use for our chai lattes; therefore, I chose to use it for this pudding and it worked. Because it is vanilla flavored, I only used 1/8 tsp. of vanilla extract. If you choose to use plain almond, soy or whole milk, increase the vanilla extract to 1/4 tsp.

The spices – Just a touch of cardamom and cinnamon is all that is needed to enhance the flavor of the Kabocha without overpowering it.

The agar – 1/2 tsp. was perfect.  I got the idea of using agar from Sissi of With a Glass.  Sissi has made some great little creams using agar and I’ve always wanted to give it a try.  Now that I have, I know that I’ll be using it more and more for quick and easy, creamy desserts.  Thanks Sissi!

About agar (from With A Glass) – “Agar (agar-agar, “kanten” in Japanese) is a gelling agent very popular in Asia. Contrary to what one might think, this is not a gelatin substitute. It is prepared in a slightly different way and, most of all, gives different textures and consistencies. In Europe it is widely used in the food industry and is quite popular among vegetarians, since agar is produced from seaweed (not bones, like gelatin). Apart from gelling properties, agar has considerable health benefits. It helps digestion and is often consumed as a slimming diet booster.”

The chocolate topping – Any type of chocolate is perfect with this pudding.  I tried milk chocolate as well as a dark chocolate and liked them both.

This Sweet Kabocha Pudding has been shared with the following blog hops:  Food on Friday   .

Tags: , , , ,

56 Responses to “Sweet Kabocha Pudding”

1. Sally September 16, 2013 at 10:35 pm #

Bought a Kabocha today and plan on making this over the weekend. Have been wanting to make this for a long time. It looks so good!

2. Mireille January 30, 2013 at 8:08 pm #

what a delicious pudding – we make desserts from this or calabaza pumpkin often in the Caribbean

3. Ali January 27, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

Thank you so much for linking this recipe up at Recipe Sharing Monday! The new link party is up and I’d love to see you back. Have a great week. :)

4. Ali January 22, 2013 at 8:15 pm #

What a clever idea to make this into a pudding. It looks delicious :) If you don’t mind I wanted to invite you to come link up at Recipe Sharing Monday and share your favorite recipes. Have a super week. :)

5. Swathi January 21, 2013 at 9:14 pm #

Delicious kabocha pudding MJ. I love creamy goodness, thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

6. April @ The 21st Century Housewife January 21, 2013 at 11:53 am #

Your pudding looks so beautiful in those lovely glasses with the chocolate on top! I love that it is made with squash. I’m not sure if we can get kobocha squash over here in the UK, but I sure am going to try! Thank you for sharing this post with the Hearth and Soul hop.

7. Biren @ Roti n Rice January 9, 2013 at 7:49 pm #

I love kabocha squash and have one sitting on my counter right now. It is amazingly sweet and delicious! What a lovely pudding you’ve made with it. Sounds like a dessert that I would totally enjoy. Also love the grated chocolate on the top. A delicious touch!

8. Terra January 3, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

What a great idea!!!! I was sitting here trying to remember if I have had a Kabocha squash, now I am intrigued:-) Your pudding looks gorgeous, Hugs, Terra

9. Allison Day January 3, 2013 at 7:30 pm #

This is a great idea! I adore kabocha squash, but had never thought to use it in pudding. I really want to try this, now. :D

10. Amber @ The Cook's Sister January 2, 2013 at 7:23 am #

What a creative pudding! This is a great way to use squash! I’ll definitively have to give agar a try the next time I make a pudding.

11. Laura (Got Chocolate) January 1, 2013 at 9:13 pm #

Oh wow, I can practically taste this it looks SO good. And you adding chocolate shavings on top. I LOVE this combination! :D Your photos are fantastic. WOW!

1. White Chocolate Matcha (Green Tea) Pudding | MJ's Kitchen - March 20, 2014