Sweet Kabocha Pudding

A sweet pudding made from kabocha squash

A few days ago I roasted a Kabocha squash with the intention of making a soup; however, when I tasted the pulp it was so sweet, I decided that I wanted to make a dessert.  But what kind of dessert do you make with squash? As I was tasting the squash and thinking about how creamy it was, the squash spoke to me….pudding.  Oh how I love pudding!  So there you have it. Kabocha squash pudding was born.

The main ingredients for this pudding are squash pulp and almond milk. A little maple syrup is used as the sweetener and agar as the gelling agent.  Because I used agar, the texture isn’t the same as pudding made with eggs and milk, but it is still very creamy and smooth.  Bobby grabbed a pudding from the fridge thinking it was butterscotch. He took a couple of bites and then said “I have no idea what I’m eating, but it’s damn good!”  Need I say more? :)

Because I only used 1 cup of pulp to make this pudding, I still had 2 cups left to make a small batch of Kabocha and Fennel Soup. A completely different use of the Kabocha and oh so good!

Spices for Kabocha pudding

Pudding made with kabocha squash

Kabocha Squash – I discovered Kabocha a couple of years ago and fell immediately in love.  It’s much sweeter than most winter squash and is definitely creamier.  Because it is so sweet, I only needed 3 Tbsp. of maple syrup.  Once blended with the almond milk, it had the perfect consistency for pudding.  As far as substituting another winter squash, I can’t think of one that is sweet enough for this particular recipe. I’m sure other squash could be used, but you would need to add more sweetener.

Almond Milk – I always have Vanilla Almond milk in the fridge because it’s the milk we use for our chai lattes; therefore, I chose to use it for this pudding and it worked. Because it is vanilla flavored, I only used 1/8 tsp. of vanilla extract. If you choose to use plain almond, soy or whole milk, increase the vanilla extract to 1/4 tsp.

The spices – Just a touch of cardamom and cinnamon is all that is needed to enhance the flavor of the Kabocha without overpowering it.

The agar – 1/2 tsp. was perfect.  I got the idea of using agar from Sissi of With a Glass.  Sissi has made some great little creams using agar and I’ve always wanted to give it a try.  Now that I have, I know that I’ll be using it more and more for quick and easy, creamy desserts.  Thanks Sissi!

About agar (from With A Glass) – “Agar (agar-agar, “kanten” in Japanese) is a gelling agent very popular in Asia. Contrary to what one might think, this is not a gelatin substitute. It is prepared in a slightly different way and, most of all, gives different textures and consistencies. In Europe it is widely used in the food industry and is quite popular among vegetarians, since agar is produced from seaweed (not bones, like gelatin). Apart from gelling properties, agar has considerable health benefits. It helps digestion and is often consumed as a slimming diet booster.”

The chocolate topping – Any type of chocolate is perfect with this pudding.  I tried milk chocolate as well as a dark chocolate and liked them both.

This Sweet Kabocha Pudding has been shared with the following blog hops:  Food on Friday   .

Tags: , , , ,

58 Responses to “Sweet Kabocha Pudding”

1. The Wimpy Vegetarian October 28, 2014 at 9:32 pm #

This looks fantastic, MJ. It’s at the top of my list to try!!

2. Sally September 16, 2013 at 10:35 pm #

Bought a Kabocha today and plan on making this over the weekend. Have been wanting to make this for a long time. It looks so good!

3. Mireille January 30, 2013 at 8:08 pm #

what a delicious pudding – we make desserts from this or calabaza pumpkin often in the Caribbean

4. Ali January 27, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

Thank you so much for linking this recipe up at Recipe Sharing Monday! The new link party is up and I’d love to see you back. Have a great week. :)

5. Ali January 22, 2013 at 8:15 pm #

What a clever idea to make this into a pudding. It looks delicious :) If you don’t mind I wanted to invite you to come link up at Recipe Sharing Monday and share your favorite recipes. Have a super week. :)

6. Swathi January 21, 2013 at 9:14 pm #

Delicious kabocha pudding MJ. I love creamy goodness, thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

7. April @ The 21st Century Housewife January 21, 2013 at 11:53 am #

Your pudding looks so beautiful in those lovely glasses with the chocolate on top! I love that it is made with squash. I’m not sure if we can get kobocha squash over here in the UK, but I sure am going to try! Thank you for sharing this post with the Hearth and Soul hop.

8. Biren @ Roti n Rice January 9, 2013 at 7:49 pm #

I love kabocha squash and have one sitting on my counter right now. It is amazingly sweet and delicious! What a lovely pudding you’ve made with it. Sounds like a dessert that I would totally enjoy. Also love the grated chocolate on the top. A delicious touch!

9. Terra January 3, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

What a great idea!!!! I was sitting here trying to remember if I have had a Kabocha squash, now I am intrigued:-) Your pudding looks gorgeous, Hugs, Terra

10. Allison Day January 3, 2013 at 7:30 pm #

This is a great idea! I adore kabocha squash, but had never thought to use it in pudding. I really want to try this, now. :D

11. Amber @ The Cook's Sister January 2, 2013 at 7:23 am #

What a creative pudding! This is a great way to use squash! I’ll definitively have to give agar a try the next time I make a pudding.

12. Laura (Got Chocolate) January 1, 2013 at 9:13 pm #

Oh wow, I can practically taste this it looks SO good. And you adding chocolate shavings on top. I LOVE this combination! :D Your photos are fantastic. WOW!

13. Amy (Savory Moments) December 31, 2012 at 6:49 am #

I adore kabocha squash and think that this pudding looks absolutely wonderful! I really love cardamom, too – it’s one of my favorite flavors. I bet this is delicious!

14. Giulietta | Alterkitchen December 28, 2012 at 8:49 am #

A squash based pudding?! It must be delicious!
    Great idea! :)
    Happy Holydays, my friend!

15. Tessa December 27, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

Looks delicious!

16. Cucina49 December 27, 2012 at 5:25 pm #

That is a fabulous use of sweet squash! I have a delicata squash lurking in the fridge–I wonder if it would work with that.

17. Nami | Just One Cookbook December 26, 2012 at 9:48 pm #

In Japan, we pretty much have only one thing that we call “pumpkin” and that’s Kabocha. I was actually surprised that here it’s called squash (we don’t have squash). And we make desserts using kabocha too. I really love your pudding, MJ! The sweet and smooth texture goes well with pudding idea. The rich yellow color is beautiful too!

18. Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb December 26, 2012 at 5:41 am #

lol it passed your husbands test! ^.^ I have to say it really sounds great with the Almond milk and Pumpkin. So how do you like working with Agar Agar? By the way gorgeous click MJ! =)

19. Rita Bose December 25, 2012 at 8:44 pm #

Wow ! Great Kabocha Pudding MJ! Looks delicious! Great snaps! Keep blogging !

20. Magic of Spice December 23, 2012 at 4:36 pm #

Oh wow, what a creative and delicious treat!

21. Jane December 23, 2012 at 7:55 am #

I love kabocha squash too, and the chocolate on top looks so interesting! I’ll have to see if I can find a kabocha now!

22. sara December 23, 2012 at 7:27 am #

What a unique recipe…looks so delicious! I love kabocha squash, but I’ve never tried it in a dessert…bet it is fantastic! :)

23. Misbah December 23, 2012 at 1:46 am #

What a beautiful dessert .

24. Raymund December 23, 2012 at 1:10 am #

I feel like I want to grab one of those.
    Anyways have a Merry Christmas to you and your family!

25. Reese@SeasonwithSpice December 21, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

Hi MJ – This is a delicious way to use up winter squashes. We still have some pumpkins and squashes laying at the garage. Giveaways from one of the aunts. Agar-agar is my childhood’s favorite dessert. This one looks like the adult version which Mark & I will adore, since it is spiced up with all our fav flavors. Love that it is healthy and nutritious too! A dessert like this can easily take over the often not-so-healthy types. Big hugs to you & wishing you & Bob a blessed joyous time of the year!

26. France @ Beyond The Peel December 21, 2012 at 11:03 am #

MJ, What a great idea for pudding. The flavor of this sounds outstanding.

27. Laura @ Family Spice December 21, 2012 at 6:54 am #

Oooh, nice! This sounds pretty amazing. So nice to see other gourd recipes, not just pumpkin. I was all pumpkined out this year and barely baked with it at all!

28. Michelle @ Greedy Gourmet December 21, 2012 at 6:18 am #

Oooof, now that’s one way I’m still ambivalent about pumpkin, cold and in a pudding. Do love it as a side dish though! The really sad thing about living in the UK is that pumpkins are a Halloween novelty and not considered a food. Once Halloween is finished all pumpkins disappear in the shops! :-(

29. Sanjeeta kk December 21, 2012 at 3:07 am #

I love the simplicity of this pudding…its similar to what I make with pumpkin using coconut milk…now I need to try almond milk to make the same.

30. Katerina December 21, 2012 at 2:52 am #

I have never made pudding with squash, but looking at yours I think I am going to try it! Very elegant!

31. Joanna @ Chic & Gorgeous Treats December 21, 2012 at 12:15 am #

Oh this is something that I would love to try making. My favourite is usually the mango pudding, and I can’t wait to add another new pudding to my to do list. Merry Christmas!! xoxo, Jo

32. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies December 20, 2012 at 6:55 pm #

I have a packet of agar left from another recipe and I’ve been wondering what to do with it. I love the idea of using it in a pudding! This looks so delicious. :)

33. Gomo December 20, 2012 at 6:46 pm #

Wow! I haven’t been here in a while because I’ve been buried under piles of work; but I had to dig myself out of my pile when I saw the title of this post. :-) I LOVE kabochas. I can eat them for days. And I have never made kabocha pudding. I’m making this as soon as I get a chance. Happy holidays!

34. Debbie @ Easy Natural Food December 20, 2012 at 11:46 am #

I LOVE this idea for a pudding! It is very diet-friendly for me right now. Quite often I’m craving something creamy and sweet, and this sounds perfect! Pinned :)

35. Soni December 20, 2012 at 8:56 am #

Wow, this looks and sounds fantastic MJ!! The process is fairly simple too :) Love it!!

36. peachkins December 20, 2012 at 6:13 am #

This is nice, a dessert made of squash! Healthy indulgence!

37. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles December 20, 2012 at 4:34 am #

What an extraordinarily original and beautiful recipe (your photos rock MJ!) – I would have never thought to make a pudding from squash and absolutely love this idea… a project for the new year. Love the almond milk in this recipe and all your seasonal spices…it reminds me of a warming chai latte in pudding form (toe curl). Keep those aphrodisiacs coming ;-).

38. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen December 19, 2012 at 10:58 pm #

What an inventive use for a squash.. it makes perfect sense now that I see it done as a pudding. I bet is was wonderfully creamy! xx

39. ChgoJohn December 19, 2012 at 10:12 pm #

I’ve never heard of Kabocha squash, MJ, and here you are, using it to make pudding! Not only that but you, also, used it to make what I have to believe is a delicious soup. I had to learn more of this miracle squash so I took the link you supplied and read the Wikipedia posting. Ah! In some cultures the Kabocha squash “is revered as an aphrodisiac.”
    I think I understand now. ;)

• mj December 22, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

Thanks John! Of course YOU would notice the it’s used as an aphrodisiac. :) Yes, it is a delicious squash and quite versatile. You really should try to find one. They are around this time of year in the southwest.

40. Hotly Spiced December 19, 2012 at 2:26 pm #

You are so innovative. What a great use for squash and this looks like such a perfect recipe to enjoy on Christmas Eve xx

• mj December 19, 2012 at 8:22 pm #

Thanks HS! it would be nice for Christmas Eve – light and refreshing! Have a great holiday!

41. Zsuzsa December 19, 2012 at 2:01 pm #

I am mightily impressed with your instinct and creativity Peach Lady. You are an artist.

• mj December 19, 2012 at 8:18 pm #

Thanks so much Cake Lady!!

42. Sissi December 19, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

What a gorgeous cocktail ;-) I really thought it was a cocktail for a second! It’s the most beautiful pumpkin dish I have ever seen. The spices, the chocolate, the elegant way of serving make it a perfect idea for Christmas dinner.

• mj December 19, 2012 at 8:18 pm #

Thanks Sissi! You were my inspiration!

43. Judy @Savoring Today December 19, 2012 at 12:07 pm #

Brilliant! And I love the spice choice you’ve made too. Gonna try this one for sure, MJ. Hope you have a very Merry Christmas and are abundantly blessed in the New Year. :)

• mj December 19, 2012 at 8:17 pm #

Thanks so much Judy! Wishing the same for you and your family!

44. Ramona December 19, 2012 at 11:53 am #

This is a new ingredient for me. The pudding looks so creamy and delicious and I love the color. I definitely know that I would polish off one of those pudding cups. :)

45. john@kitchenriffs December 19, 2012 at 10:58 am #

I’ve never used kabocha — or any — squash in a dessert. Great idea! In fact I’m really intrigued by the idea of using veggies in dessert. Mrs K R and I were out at a restaurant last night, and I had celery granita. I’d never heard of it! Sounds weird, but it was incredibly good — I felt like I was tasting celery for the first time. I suspect I’d have the same sensation tasting this — like I was tasting kabocha squash for the first time. Really creative recipe. Thanks.

• mj December 19, 2012 at 8:16 pm #

Thanks John! The celery granita looks quite interesting! I love ordering the weird. :) I ordered a basil ice cream orange soda once and it was wonderful! This squash pudding turned out great, but I do have to give most of the credit to the wonderful tasting kabocha.

46. The Wimpy Vegetarian December 19, 2012 at 10:51 am #

I love kabocha squash, and this looks like a wonderful way to use it. It’s density and sweetness would be perfect. Agar is completely new to me. Thanks for the explanation for it. I’m definitely going to pick some up!!

• mj December 19, 2012 at 8:10 pm #

Thanks WV! Glad to see another Kabocha lover! This is the first time I’ve used agar and I loved the result. Can’t wait to use it again.

47. Angie@Angie's Recipes December 19, 2012 at 10:20 am #

This is my kind of dessert. I might use coconut milk and white chocolate…gorgeous clicks!

• mj December 19, 2012 at 8:06 pm #

thanks Angie! Coconut milk and white chocolate sound wonderful!

1. A Collection of Kabocha Squash Recipes | MJ's Kitchen - October 28, 2014