Mushroom Garlic Soup

A bowl of mushroom garlic soup

Do you like mushrooms? Garlic? Soup?  If you answered yes, yes, and yes, then this is definitely the dish for you. This recipe takes the wonderful flavor of mushrooms sauteed in garlic butter and puts it into a soup – a garlic and mushroom lover’s dream!

A bowl of garlic mushroom soup

As with any soup, this soup gets better with age; therefore, if you have time, let the soup sit for a couple of hours, or even better, overnight.

The garlic – If you are a little garlic shy, cut the garlic down to 1 head of garlic and add a little more onion. If you are a garlic lover like me, 2 heads of garlic are plenty.

The herbs – If you don’t have fresh herbs, substitute the fresh parsley and thyme with 1/2 tsp. dried thyme and 1/4 tsp. dried oregano. (I suggest oregano because I find that there is nothing more tasteless than dried parsley.)

The mushrooms – I really like sauteing the mushrooms rather than letting them cook in the soup.  They stay quite firm and keep that rich buttery flavor of sauteed mushrooms even after you add them to the soup.

The broth – I recommend chicken broth or a lowfat stock. If you are vegetarian, I’m sure vegetable broth would be delicious with this; however, I’ve never tried it.

A side – Any good bread works great with this soup.  We love eating it with an Herb Bread.

This mushroom and garlic soup could be used as an appetizer, a side, or a meal. We usually make a meal out of it with some bread, but did have it as a side once with grilled steak. That was certainly a great combination of flavors!! I was tempted to just pour the soup all over the steak.

This Mushroom Garlic Soup has been shared with the following blog hops.  Gluten-Free Fridays, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Mix It Up Monday, Hearth and Soul, Made From Scratch Monday, Made With Love Monday, Katherine Martinelli’s Garlic Hop

Tags: , , , ,

87 Responses to “Mushroom Garlic Soup”

1. Shannon May 31, 2014 at 1:21 pm #

Looks soooo tasty! Even in the spring there are plenty of rainy days in Seattle, I’ll make these during one of those days! I’ll probably roast the garlic instead of cooking in a pan, but I can’t wait to try.

• mj June 2, 2014 at 9:42 pm #

Thank you Shannon! It is very tasty if I do say so myself! It would be perfect during a Seattle rainy day. Love your idea of using roasted garlic. That would add another wonderful layer of flavor! Let me know how you like it.

2. Emilie February 8, 2014 at 3:32 am #

Do you really need two whole garlics? Don’t get me wrong I LOVE garlic but isn’t 2 like a giganourmous amount? Sorry for any spelling mistakes… I’m not from the united states… Other than that it sounds yummy!

3. Nusrat Azim September 27, 2013 at 11:07 am #

Loved this creamy, dreamy, darling soup :)
    Thanks a ton for the recipe and adorable photo :)

• mj September 27, 2013 at 7:22 pm #

Thanks Nusrat! I love this soup and will be making it again on Sunday. It suppose to get chilly here, so a good day for soup.

4. Sunny Drohan May 2, 2013 at 3:35 pm #

Love the idea of this soup. When I get home from visiting the grandkids, this will be on my agenda. Would cremini mushrooms work as well. I do love their flavor.
    Tanks for this.

• mj May 2, 2013 at 10:02 pm #

Sunny – thanks for dropping by. Yes – cremini mushrooms would be just as good if not better than white button mushrooms. If you make it, please let me know how you like it! Have fun with your grandkids!

5. Carole March 21, 2013 at 10:02 pm #

Yum, thanks for supporting Food on Friday: Garlic. Cheers

6. Rita Bose January 26, 2013 at 4:58 am #

Delicious soup and yes,yes,yes! This is the ideal recipe for me!

7. Javelin Warrior January 14, 2013 at 4:31 pm #

This looks amazing, MJ – creamy and loaded with flavor from the garlic. The apple is a cool twist I wasn’t expecting. I’ve recently been craving a delicious mushroom soup – so I’m so glad you decided to share…

8. Mary Hudak-Collins December 30, 2012 at 1:57 pm #

MJ, I love mushrooms, but I’m the only one in my family that does. I would have to make a smaller amount, but would love to try it out. I love the idea of garlic added :) Thanks for sharing in our ‘Made From Scratch’ Monday! Hope you had a beautiful Christmas and that your New Years is full of love, health, and safety.

9. Charles W. James December 6, 2012 at 5:51 am #

I am a garlic lover, like you. I eat homemade fermented garlic every day… This soup looks delicious, can’t wait to give it a try!

10. Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) December 5, 2012 at 3:24 pm #

I saw the recipe title and I said AHHH :) that sounds SO yummy!! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)
    I hope to see you again this week!

This week is sponsored by Sugar and Spice Market! They are giving away a package of their gluten free sugar cookie mix and a package of their gluten free pancake/waffle mix! It is just in time for the holidays!

Link up starts tomorrow (thursday) at 7:05pm eastern time! Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

11. Sawsan @chef in disguise December 3, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

Yes! yes!yes!
    I love mushroom soup but this really takes it to a whole new level
    I just know I will love this soup MJ and I can’t wait to try it!

• Sawsan @chef in disguise December 10, 2012 at 2:32 am #

I made this yesterday MJ and it was phenomenal!
      I loved the layers of flavor in this..it was simply amazing.
      I will definetly be making this again and again.

• mj December 10, 2012 at 11:14 am #

I can’t tell you how thrilled I am!!!! I’m SO glad that you enjoyed it as much as we do. Thanks for letting me know Sawsan! It’s always nice to get feedback, especially feedback like this. :) Have a wonderful week my friend!

12. Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb December 3, 2012 at 8:32 am #

oh yes I like the combination, sounds very comforting. You added apple and dill, daring but I can imagine that this is my type of soup. I realize more and more that we have a few things in common MJ. =)

• mj December 3, 2012 at 8:26 pm #

Thanks Helene! You are right – every time I visit your blog I find something else we have in common. :) Have a great week!

13. Charles December 2, 2012 at 3:28 pm #

Wow, garlic mushrooms in soup format… why haven’t I had this before? I love the idea… a real step up from the traditional mushroom soup which is nice, sure, but with the garlic I’m sure it must be a real head above the rest! Looks really yummy MJ!

• mj December 3, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

Thanks Charles! Yes – it is definitely different than the traditional mushroom soup and we like this one better. I’ve made it several time and have even made it for friends! Quite daring I know. :)

14. Food Jaunts December 2, 2012 at 11:07 am #

Oh awesomely delicious :) I remember when I made the garlic soup and it was to die for – always meant to make the variation with mushrooms – thanks for the reminder!

• mj December 3, 2012 at 8:23 pm #

Thanks! So glad to hear that you made the garlic soup! Since you like that, you’ll LOVE this one! :)

15. Shut Up & Cook | The Attainable Gourmet December 1, 2012 at 9:03 pm #

I’m working on perfecting my mushroom bisque, so this post is very well timed.

I’ll try a few of your tricks and report back!

16. Terra December 1, 2012 at 3:27 pm #

I adore mushrooms AND garlic, so this soup sounds perfect to me! I just told hubby one meal I would always choose, if it was my last meal even, pizza with extra mushrooms:-) Your soup really does look delicious, Hugs, Terra

17. Nami | Just One Cookbook November 30, 2012 at 11:45 pm #

A lot of people love garlic and mushroom and I’m one of them, but never seen mushroom garlic soup before!!!! I want to make this soon. :) Thanks MJ!

18. Martha November 30, 2012 at 10:47 am #

I want to try that grits and New Mexico chile recipe but I must order some grits from the internet first….we don’t have them in Denmark. I am originally from New Mexico and the chile (as far as I’m concerned) is the best there is!!! I am a chile eater….eat it everyday…I really miss my New Mexico chile and try to get some when I can !!! I’m happy there is someone else who knows how tasty it is!!

• mj November 30, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

Thanks Martha! I use Quaker Quick-cooking grits and yes, you can buy them on-line. Make sure to order “quick-cooking” in the round container, NOT instant in the rectangular box. I bet you do miss green chile!! I can leave the state for a week and the first thing we do upon returning is get a chile fix. :) Thanks for your wonderful comments and it’s nice meeting someone across the globe that still enjoys her NM green chile!

19. Martha November 30, 2012 at 10:38 am #

MJ…your mushroom garlic recipe was delicious!! I thought I would try out the recipe just for me… first… and it was so good that I ate this soup all one day myself…and finished it at the end of the day…licking my chops..Thank you !! I will definately fix it again during these winter months…live in Denmark and it gets cold!!

• mj November 30, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

Martha, I am SO thrilled that you made this soup and loved it!!!! It’s always wonderful receiving feedback. I’m so glad you enjoyed and can’t thank you enough for letting me know! It’s somewhat cold here so I’ve been making this quite a bit. :) Have a great weekend!

20. Kate@Diethood November 29, 2012 at 7:52 am #

MJ, my husband would be the happiest man today if I made this for dinner. Mushrooms and garlic in one is the way to his heart. :)
    Definitely making this asap!

• mj November 30, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

Thanks Kate! This is one of MY husband’s favorite soups!! I get lots of kisses afterwards. :)

21. The Wimpy Vegetarian November 28, 2012 at 3:32 pm #

This looks really wonderful, MJ. And the photo is just lovely!!

22. Hotly Spiced November 28, 2012 at 4:29 am #

What a wonderful looking soup. I guess it’s soup weather in your part of the world. We’re preparing for a couple of days in the 100F plus zone so I’ll have to put your recipe aside for another day but it does sound very yummy xx

23. The Squishy Monster November 27, 2012 at 11:34 pm #

I’m intrigued by the subtle sweetness of the apple in this—lovely blend of spices too! =)

24. Juliana November 27, 2012 at 8:31 pm #

This mushroom soup sounds and looks delicious, creamy and so rich in flavor…like the idea of garlic in it :)
    Have a great week MJ!

25. Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin November 27, 2012 at 11:35 am #

I eat soup for lunch several days a week, so I think this unique new idea for soup is wonderful! I’m loving all the garlic in this soup as well – sounds delicious :)

26. France @ Beyond The Peel November 27, 2012 at 11:13 am #

This is a must try! I love all the ingredients in this recipe and I love the surprise apple for sweetness! I have a than’ for mushrooms….

• mj November 30, 2012 at 1:01 pm #

:) Thanks France! Well, I definitely have a than’ for garlic! :)

27. Giulietta | Alterkitchen November 27, 2012 at 11:04 am #

Never used mushrooms in soups.. and I honestly don’t know why!!
    Your soup looks amazing, and God knows how much I love soups :)
    I see your garlic addiction, uh? ;)

Another topic: yesterday arrived your Amazon box with your amazing Mexican cookbook and yoour lovely surprise (I’ll read it soon)… Thanks a lot, MJ!!

• mj November 30, 2012 at 1:01 pm #

Thanks Giulia!!! Glad to hear you received the books! Enjoy my friend!

28. Nisa Homey November 27, 2012 at 9:12 am #

Yes, yes, and yes for me too MJ….hmmm I can get the flavor of the soup halfway across the globe…perfect for the cosy weather…have a great day!

29. Dara November 27, 2012 at 9:11 am #

Yummy! I think I can smell your photos they look so good. I love mushroom anything.

30. Suzi November 27, 2012 at 8:20 am #

Yes, yes and yes for me too. This sounds wonderful and the apple is a cool addition. I am making this, I love mushrooms and garlic. Have a wonderful week MJ.

31. Ramona November 27, 2012 at 7:00 am #

I love garlic and mushrooms… but never had it in a creamy dreamy soup like this. Looks amazing MJ! :)

32. Asmita November 27, 2012 at 6:46 am #

This is such a warm and comforting soup! Perfect for the weather right now.

33. Sissi November 27, 2012 at 2:49 am #

MJ, this soup looks exquisite. I love mushroom soups and often make a very simple one, but I never add garlic. I wonder why… It must change the whole taste. I really have to try it next time because I’m a huge garlic fan. Thank you for the inspiration.

• mj November 27, 2012 at 8:41 am #

Thanks Sissi! Yes, since you are a huge garlic fan, you really need to add garlic to your mushroom soup.

34. FoodEatLove November 27, 2012 at 2:37 am #

This soup looks amazing! Such a great idea to combine two of my favorite ingredients in to a soup. I will make it and love the two head of garlic!

35. Baker Street November 27, 2012 at 12:36 am #

The answer is definitely yes, yes and yes! It looks incredibly good, MJ! A bowl of your soup would be the perfect cure for my cold!

• mj November 27, 2012 at 8:40 am #

Thanks! Yes, this is definitely the cure for the common cold! Hope you feel better soon!

36. Swathi November 26, 2012 at 6:29 pm #

This is one of the creamy full of flavor soup.

37. Carole November 26, 2012 at 1:34 pm #

Lovely – I haven’t made mushroom soup for yonks! And your pic is so good. Have a super week.

38. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies November 26, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

Mushroom soup? With garlic? YES! Oh my goodness, I think I need to make this very soon.

39. Liz November 26, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

Oh, my…so, so creamy and incredible! Wonder if I can convert my hubby into a mushroom fan with this? Worth a try…worst case scenario, I’d have to eat it all myself :)

PS…I’m the opposite of you. I come from an artistic family so food styling comes naturally. It’s all the camera settings and nuances that get me flummoxed!

• mj November 27, 2012 at 8:39 am #

Thanks Liz! If the hubby doesn’t like shmooms, scoop out a bowl of soup before adding them and keep the mushrooms for yourself. :) Lucky you to come from a visually creative family. In my family, my oldest sister was the only one that got any design sense. The rest of us struggle. :)

40. Katerina November 26, 2012 at 9:36 am #

My answer is yes to all so I went straight ahead and printed it! Looks divine!

41. Nancy/SpicieFoodie November 26, 2012 at 9:33 am #

Yes I do love mushrooms and garlic. This is the perfect way to be able to enjoy the two together. Would love a bowl for dinner:)

P.S.
    MJ your comment about the tin can made me smile. It was silly of me to use it but I went with it:)

• mj November 27, 2012 at 8:36 am #

Thanks Nancy! These two ingredient are perfect together! Glad you enjoyed my comment. Your picture definitely made me smile. :)

42. Jen L | Tartine and Apron Strings November 26, 2012 at 8:52 am #

Kidding me? I LOVE garlic, I love mushrooms, I love soup! Another perfect combination!!! Nicely done, MJ :)

43. Shannon | Just As Delish November 26, 2012 at 8:25 am #

I also made mushroom soup recently, it’s a no-cream soup. love your addition of various herbs in your soup. very very comforting on cold days..

44. Raymund November 25, 2012 at 11:57 pm #

Garlic and mushrooms anytime, I love them sauteed, grilled, soups,etc….

45. Love2cook Malaysia November 25, 2012 at 9:30 pm #

Wow, this looks so appetizing! I love mushroom soup…and garlic! Loved your serving bowl too…;)

46. cookingrookie November 25, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

Beautiful soup! I made one of your garlic soups once, looks like I will be making this one too :-) It would be the perfect dinner with freshly baked bread…

• mj November 27, 2012 at 8:34 am #

Thanks CR! Thrilled to hear that you made my garlic soup! Since you liked it, I know you’ll love this! And yes, the freshly baked bread is perfect!

47. Magic of Spice November 25, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

Oh yes…how I love mushrooms and garlic! This is a perfect bowl of comfort for me :)
    Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

48. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef November 25, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

I love mushroom soup and I’m always on the lookout for my next “best” recipe. this looks terrific!

49. Anne@FromMySweetHeart November 25, 2012 at 4:19 pm #

Mushrooms? yes. Garlic? Yes. Soup? YES! What a great combo of all of my favorite things. I am odd that I eat soup all year round! This one is just exquisite! Adding it to my must make list on Pinterest! And hoping you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family! : )

• mj November 27, 2012 at 8:33 am #

Thanks Anne! I eat soup year round as well, but I do prefer cold soup in the summer. Sounds like you like yours hot all year. It must be cooler in Maryland during the summer than here in the desert. :)

50. Debra November 25, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

The Hubs is not a big mushroom fan but I love them. Add garlic? OMG! This sounds delicious!

• mj November 27, 2012 at 8:32 am #

Thanks Debra! Since you add the mushrooms after your make the garlic soup, you could always scoop out a bowl for the hub before adding the mushrooms. That way you both could enjoy the “garlic”. :)

51. Choc Chip Uru November 25, 2012 at 1:14 pm #

What a warming and hearty soup my friend :)

Choc Chip Uru

52. Jane November 25, 2012 at 12:10 pm #

Yes yes and yes for me!! Sounds delish!!! I love the addition of the apple!

53. john@kitchenriffs November 25, 2012 at 11:50 am #

Two heads of garlic? Sounds about right! What a nice soup — tons of flavor. Mushrooms combine so well with garlic, too, that I know this will be delish. I like the addition of apple, too — I’ll bet that adds a nice note. Really nice — thanks so much.

• mj November 27, 2012 at 8:30 am #

thanks John! I knew you were one of my fellow garlic lovers and two heads of garlic were not too much. :)

54. Karen (Back Road Journal) November 25, 2012 at 11:03 am #

Your soup sounds absolutely delicious. The addition of apple and mustard power must add to the overall flavor.

• mj November 27, 2012 at 8:29 am #

Thanks Karen! The apple and the mustard powder add just the right amount of sweet and spice.

55. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles November 25, 2012 at 10:13 am #

Yes, Yes, Yes, and no convincing required. Love. And…, I have never made my own mushroom soup, so this is just the inspiration I needed. Great lead photo MJ – the singular side shroom accompanying the bowl really jumps out and I also find myself in love with those bowls…;-) how pretty. Super idea to add apple to this soup – what a delightful surprise!

• mj November 27, 2012 at 8:28 am #

Thanks Kelly! It’s hard to photograph something with such a boring color so I added a little texture and pattern with the bowls that I got on sale at World Market. I love that place! :)

56. Angie@Angie's Recipes November 25, 2012 at 10:11 am #

We love garlic! This sounds really flavourful and delightful!

57. Tessa November 25, 2012 at 10:05 am #

Looks delicious MJ! And I really like the bowl that the soup is in.

58. Zsuzsa November 25, 2012 at 9:54 am #

How wonderful! This I will have to try.

59. Carol Ann November 25, 2012 at 9:22 am #

This looks so good! It would be perfect on a dreary wet day like we are having today. Thank you, I will try this soon!

60. Soni November 25, 2012 at 9:17 am #

I absolutely love mushrooms, garlic and soups :) Lovely recipe and so so comforting for a cold winter day :) Love the addition of mustard powder too!!

1. Homemade garlic mushroom soup « Chef in disguise - January 5, 2013

[...] knew I would love this soup when MJ posted the recipe a while back and I just HAD TO try it. I only slightly modified the recipe. Adding half the [...]

2. 8 Comforting winter soup recipes from Pinterest | عالم رومانسيات - December 18, 2012

[...] the garlic mushroom soup recipe from MJ’s [...]

3. Mushroom Soup and a Long Week Behind Me « Breakfast Socks - December 8, 2012

[...] my first, and only mushroom soup really, but the statement still stands.  I got the idea from this recipe, but when first reading over it it seemed a little too complex, what with the coring and peeling of [...]

4. Garlic Soup Recipe | MJ's Kitchen - November 26, 2012

[...] Garlic soup is a very tasty way to take advantage of the health benefits of garlic.  It’s SO much better than taking a garlic pill!  To make it even healthier, add some sauteed mushrooms to the finish soup.  See the Mushroom Garlic Soup Recipe. [...]